Saturday Night Live

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Saturday Night Live

Post  sobe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:17 am

"Christmastime Is Here"

Isn't it "I Wish It Was Christmas Today"? It's one of my favorite things ever. It seriously makes me happy every time they do it, even that one time they did it in the spring (I think there were hawaiian shirts involved). I love the randomness of it all: Tracy's dancing, Chris Kattan holding the keyboard, Jimmy's twitching. I downloaded a cover of it by the singer from the Strokes, and it was missing all the silly charm from the SNL performances.

Last edited by sobe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total

sobe

Back to top Go down

Post  Auroura76 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:31 am

Yes, of course, you're right. I love it so much I completely forgot the title! Whoops!

Auroura76

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:37 am

jcpdiesel21 wrote: It would be a dream come true if the show could score Cage as a host sometime in the near future and featured him in this segment.
My thoughts exactly - that would be awesome - wonder if Cage knows how to laugh at himself.

Calling Jude Law Rabbi was hilarious
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:40 pm

Was last night's worth catching on Hulu? I fell asleep before it started, and I'm skeptical due to the fact that professional athlete hosts rarely make me laugh.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:03 am

I actually thought it was pretty funny. I laughed out loud several times. I think maybe my favorite thing was Charles Barkley's line of Ann Taylor pantsuits.

Plus, Cecil was back! /me plays a tune on a tiny piano
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm

This was a lot funnier than it would be, since athlete episodes tend to be duds. The White People Problems sketch killed me.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 pm

ActonBell wrote:This was a lot funnier than it would be, since athlete episodes tend to be duds. The White People Problems sketch killed me.

I caught that one! Barkley isn't a great host, but he's good when grading on a curve alongside other pro athletes. I'd say that the only ones I've seen that were better were The Rock (if we're including pro wrestlers), Joe Montana ("That's okay. I'll just be up in my room masturbating."), and (going back farther) the Mr. T/Hulk Hogan one during the Ebersol era.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

I liked the Tom Brady, Derek Jeter, and Peyton Manning ones a lot.

Peyton Manning for the United Way still kills me. "Raise your kids. So Peyton Manning doesn't."
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Kiran wrote:I liked the Tom Brady, Derek Jeter, and Peyton Manning ones a lot.

Peyton Manning for the United Way still kills me. "Raise your kids. So Peyton Manning doesn't."

I'd forgotten about that one. Also, let's not forget Wayne Gretzky's "Rock-A-Hula Hockey" (with a young Conan O'Brien on drums!)
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:04 pm

Generally if the jock seems open to it I give them some leeway. Like Andy Roddick (despite being quite funny during interviews) was very stiff, but was so up for it, I ended up enjoying his episode for things like him teaching the other jocks how to dance.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:49 pm

I laughed until I cried when Tracy Morgan played Shaquille O'Neal's dad and spanked him for breaking curfew.

The Peyton Manning ep is one of my recent favorites. I love that coach pep talk sketch with Will Forte. In general I would say pro athlete hosted shows are better than comedian hosted ones (Jerry Seinfeld?). (Ok, I remember the Nancy Kerrigan ep being horrible, except for that one ice skating sketch she did with Chris Farley - so hilarious.)

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:52 pm

LeBron James was also a lot of fun. I loved his Solid Gold sketch.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:44 pm

puddingcup wrote:I laughed until I cried when Tracy Morgan played Shaquille O'Neal's dad and spanked him for breaking curfew.

The Peyton Manning ep is one of my recent favorites. I love that coach pep talk sketch with Will Forte.
That's one of my favorite sketches of all TIME. I laughed SO HARD, and sure, mostly it was because of Will Forte, but Peyton Manning was very game about it: "I am feeling it, Coach!" and dancing his way out the door. While the rest of the cast basically cracks up behind him. Oh man. Such good times, that sketch.

Shaq being spanked by Tracy Morgan was ALSO a classic. (Incidentally, does Shaq really have a crazy beard now? "I'd rather be in Free Willy 2 than in Kazaam 1!")
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:22 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:Plus, Cecil was back! /me plays a tune on a tiny piano
I loved seeing Cecil again! I hope they don't run this sketch into the ground. So far it's delightfully weird and I enjoy that it gives Paul Brittain a fun character to play. I thought Charles Barkley was kind of terrible, but him holding up Paul in the Cecil sketch while trying not to burst out laughing was endearing and the best thing he did all night.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am

I was surprised, but I liked the episode. I mean I love Chuckles. I want him to follow up on his desire to be governor of Alabama, because I know he'll go shithouse at some point and there's a very good possibility he and I would have punched the same guy at one point in our lives.

Anyway I think the writing played well to his strengths and worked around his weaknesses. It was sad that Jay Pharroh was probably in this episode more than the rest of the season combined. Reminds me of when Garret Morris would have nothing to do until someone like Cicely Tyson showed up.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:11 pm

The Dude wrote:It was sad that Jay Pharroh was probably in this episode more than the rest of the season combined. Reminds me of when Garret Morris would have nothing to do until someone like Cicely Tyson showed up.
I noticed that too. And: everything Jay Pharoah did was funny!! I wasn't crazy about him when he showed up, because he seemed to just walk in and laboriously do an impression and leave, but now I wish he were on more.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:10 am

It's sad that their musical guest didn't show up this week, but props to Kristen Wiig for throwing on a fancy dress and coming up with another awkward character! Those were the funniest parts of the "You Can Do Anything!" sketch.

Daniel Radcliffe was pretty good, even if most of the material was meh. (I did enjoy Delaware Fellas. Biden gives it three and a half trains!)
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:44 pm

What a waste of a potentially great host that was. Radcliffe seemed game for anything, but the writing was easily the weakest of the season. The Target Lady? The audience audibly groaned when she came on. The Hogwarts sketch was cliched and bland, Delaware Boys did nothing for me, and the cold open nearly put me to sleep. LOVED Radcliffe as Casey Anthony's new dog (even though I'm not big on kid-murder humor), and the Wiig-Radcliffe chemistry in the exit poll sketch near the end gives me hope for the upcoming Imogene.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Daniel Radcliffe was awesome. The best part of the show was his Irish jig while doing Chinese calligraphy, I laughed so hard. The rest of the show? Not so much. WAAAAAY too much Wiig. I thought the Target Lady was one of her characters that she retired.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  19uses on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:46 am

I never thought much of Daniel Radcliffe's acting in the Potter movies, but he was so likeable on SNL, that now I'd be interested in seeing a movie just because he was in it.

Lana Del Ray on the other hand was so bizarre that I googled her afterwards, and ick. If it's true that her wealthy dad basically bought her a recording contract and even her name was determined by her managment, along with the plastic surgery that she denies by claiming she couldn't have afforded it because she was living in a trailer park, then I'm glad there's been a small backlash. She's like the corporate replacement for all the former punk rawk kids who've outgrown Avril Lavigne and now want to be hipsters.

19uses

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:55 am

She was really, really awful. I often think the music acts on SNL sound terrible (I love Florence and the Machine, but she sounded off-key throughout most of her songs, and I remember Coldplay being on a few years ago and being unlistenable), but she was a new level. I felt like David Lynch had somehow rented out that spot and was punking us. Then I was thinking about American Idol and how even if she started up like that in an AUDITION they would just immediately shoot her down. Like, even Paula would. Not even in a stage performance where they get more picky. But in the room in Houston or whatever. They would be like, "Keep singing in the car. You enjoy that. Never try to be a musician."
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:25 pm

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:42 pm

I'm sad that Paul Brittain is leaving. I feel like aside from his two minor characters, SNL never gave him a chance to really shine. I was hoping that he was being groomed to play the creeps that Will Forte excelled at in addition to his own characters.

Lord Cecil Wyndemere will be missed!
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Betty Madrid on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:28 am

Lana del Ray's vocal performance wasn't all that bad, but she clearly has no stage presence at all. She seems to have a very fabricated personality.

Betty Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:57 pm

jcpdiesel21 wrote:And I laughed all the way through the "In the Cage" segment. I love how absurd Andy Samberg's version of Nicolas Cage is. It would be a dream come true if the show could score Cage as a host sometime in the near future and featured him in this segment.
I'm quoting myself because while Nic Cage may not have been the host of the episode, ZOMG he appeared on "In the Cage" and it was just as tremendous and hilarious that I thought it would be! But how can they possibly top this?

Zooey Deschanel was okay as the host, but I really enjoyed most of the episode, especially the first hour. The Chrysler ads got funnier the more ridiculous they became, the Piers Morgan Tonight parody covering the Super Bowl halftime show was hysterical (especially when Andy Samberg came in as the creepy tightrope dancer), Jean Dujardin's cameo on Les Jeunes De Paris was delightful, and Bein’ Quirky with Zooey Deschanel was loads of fun. Plus, that angrily barking dog singlehandedly saved the opening sketch.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 22 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12 ... 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top