Saturday Night Live

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Saturday Night Live

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Did Chevy Chase miss his cue to show up at the stage door? That was awkward. He seemed out of it on the red carpet special too.

We enjoyed this about a hundred times more than we're going to enjoy the Oscars next week, with the spotting famous people in the audience and so on, and then the actual content that is relevant to our interests.

The Bass-o-Matic retread made me worried too, because this ain't Python, you can't just do the exact same sketch, so I was glad they reworked everything else while still paying homages aplenty.

I miss Will Forte.

Is the Jon Lovitz is dead thing a recurring SNL joke as well? His SNL tenure was before I started watching. On The Critic there was this one-sided telephone conversation joke: "Hello, Hollywood? Here's the pitch: Dr. Strangelovitz. He's a character actor. No, I don't think he died..."
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 pm

When they were deep into the "Break" song and hadn't shown Jimmy and Horatio, I was all WTF but than showed like five.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:50 pm

I'll admit, I smiled all the way through it. Yeah, the Eddie Murphy appearance was odd, and they could have swapped out all of the non-cast member musical performances for more clips, but I still didn't want it to end. I've been watching News Radio, so I knew how much I missed Phil Hartman, but I had no idea I was missing Martin Short too. And Dana Carvey.

During the news roundup, they brought out Norm MacDonald and Colin Quinn, but Dennis Miller was conspicuously absent. That was the era when I was a regular SNL viewer (Tru Fax - I am old), and I was a huge fan of his, back in the day. I know he's politically gone around the bend, and stopped being funny years ago, but how many bridges did he burn to not get an invite? I mean, didn't Norm MacDonald get fired because he wouldn't stop slagging on OJ?

People are wondering about Chevy Chase's health (based on his appearance), but boy, John Goodman didn't look well either. I assumed that was him and Ackroyd appearing as the Blues Brothers, but the more I think about it, I don't think either of them are up to that kind of dancing these days. Whoever it was, never showed their faces, so it could have been hired dancers.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:59 pm

Jim Belushi was performing with Ackroyd in the Blues Brother number.

Norm was fired but it was by Don Ohlmeyer, not Lorne who fought hard for him so he has never had any hard feelings about the show. For what it's worth Norm also doesn't believe it was because of OJ and has said he buys Ohlmeyer's explanation that he didn't think Norm was funny.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Tru Fax - I am old

Sigh. Me too.  I was 11 years old when I watched the very first episode live. I had a bedroom in the basement, complete with a very old huge Curtis Mathis television, and parents who really didn't have any idea about my television viewing habits.

I was entertained by it, but I will say that I've moved from not caring about Miley Cyrus to being impressed by her interpretation of 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover.

Jerry Seinfeld was a waste of space
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:46 pm

I liked Jerry's segment. Mostly for the "Larry, you going to the party?"

Chevy Chase has the demeanor of a man who's just realized he's going to die soon and he's pissed off way too many people on the way. He seemed ready to cry on the red carpet and seemed to pretty much admit he shouldn't have left in the first season. I expect this soul searching to last him about a week or so.

My favorite was Bill Murray doing the love theme from Jaws. That whole musical segment was sort of SNL in a nutshell to me. Crazy, unpredictable, sloppy, hilarious in parts, and overall something you look at and know that even with the mistakes, you need a lot of talent to pull that off. Martin Short and Maya Rudolph were great MC's.

The Wayne's World skit was probably the strongest just in how they really seemed like they picked right back up on their rhythms together like it was 1992 again. Kind of shows how hard-working Myers/Carvey really have always been. I feel like that cast...Hartman, Carvey, Myers, Hooks, Dunn, etc. were the most professional of the lot. Maybe it was just because *I* was younger, but they always felt like grown-ups who knew their shit, as opposed to the frat boy humor guys who eventually replaced them (Spade/Farley/Sandler).

As for Lovitz, I do think he's always been the go-to whipping boy for them. I remember in the original Five Timers Club skit, he was the waiter (after leaving the show the previous season). "Hey...work is work."

Kate McKinnon's Bieber impression is such a treasure. I'd have kept him around and ditched Christoph Waltz. Other than that, Celebrity Jeopardy was just about perfect. WHORE ADS
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:59 pm

I didn't get to watch it live, so I watched it on Hulu today.

The best stuff - Celebrity Jeopardy, the political and New York retrospectives, and the host debate monologue - were all cut from the Hulu version. They're on Hulu as clips, but for some reason are not included in the actual episode.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:08 pm

Is Norm MacDonald ill? My younger sisters are both nurses, and they remarked that he looked bloated as if he were on certain medications.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:11 pm

biakbiak wrote:Jim Belushi was performing with Ackroyd in the Blues Brother number.

Awwww. That's both touching and appropriate. And I'm glad to hear that Mr. Akroyd can still get funky when the situation calls for it.

Swsa, I was going to mention how good the Wayne's World sketch was, but was worried I was getting long winded. Other than Mike Myers being a little heavier, it looked like Wayne and Garth were still partying in the basement after all these years.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:14 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:Is Norm MacDonald ill? My younger sisters are both nurses, and they remarked that he looked bloated as if he were on certain medications.

I think that he's just in his 50s. We tend to start drooping and puffing out simultaneously at that age. Could be wrong, though.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:00 pm

My younger sisters are both nurses...

On behalf of those of us that were pushing fifty, and are now pulling it:  Lawn. Sisters. Off. Your days will come, Missies! Overnight you'll find your full horse-powered I-can-eat-anything metabolism has been replaced with a little wheeled grocery trolley and blammo.

Also: my actor friends are reaching ages where they realize everyone has memorized them as they were a few years ago, and there is dissonance. Not everyone can be Emma Watson. Or Helen Mirren.
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:32 pm

Not everyone can be Emma Watson. Or Helen Mirren.

Well Emma Watson is only 24! Though I imagine you meant Emma Thompson. But I agree people age in many different ways?
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:03 pm

HER, TOO!

It's not just how well or not one ages (men or women, I neglected to say) but how the ubiquity of media - current and past - plays with our concept of time. Makes it easy for us to forget entertainers aren't cast in amber - even when we watched them grow up (the Potter actors). My nephews (7 and 10) watched 'Star Wars' then saw a recent video with Mark Hamill and were much perplexed.

My favorite: the friends-in-their-20s are over watching Game of Thrones, and I point to my (signed) photo of Diana Rigg as Mrs Emma Peel. 'Sploady heads.

You thought that line about 'being very, very good' was hyperbole?

Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:19 am

Corvus, they really thought he looked as if he'd gained weight, but not from overeating or natural aging. It apparently looks to them like bloating caused very specifically by certain medications so they thought he may be undergoing some sort of aggressive medical treatment but were hoping that wasn't the case. I myself thought he seemed a bit discombobulated, but I figured that's most likely because he hasn't filmed in front of a live audience in a long while.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:47 am

Jimmy Fallon describes the after party.

I hate crowds of any sort, but based on that description, I would have put up with being jostled all night in order to see everything that he talks about in that clip.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:41 pm

A report from someone who crashed the party. I would have loved to have done that!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:07 am

Those were both AWESOME. I am so not a party person and basically recoiled in horror at the idea of being called up at 1 in the morning and told to be ready to party in 20 minutes. But I love to live vicariously. That was so fun to read. And Jimmy's story was so much fun to hear.

Can I just say, BILL MURRAY. When he showed up and started singing the Jaws song I just about died it was so great. I love that man.

I enjoyed the hell out of the special overall. I've been watching SNL for many, many years -- not 40, but probably close to 25 at this point. My sister texted me in excitement that they showed the Colon Blow commercial -- one of our favorites. "Sounds DELICIOUS. But is it really high in fiber?"

I didn't love Update as much as I expected to (I missed a chunk on the DVR, so I'd heard about it before I watched it). I did love Tina's cocaine joke. And the "no, don't answer the Update door, it's always a shark." Loved Jane Curtin's joke about Fox News but then she kind of ruined it with the "and I showed less cleavage" thing. I hate Garth and Kat with the fire of a thousand suns for some reason I honestly am not sure about, but it's the only thing on SNL that I mute. I have a giant soft spot for The Californians even though it's dumb. Martin Short is getting a lot of "that guy has been around a long time and is always reliably decent and lo, it has added up" accolades and I support that. Oh, man, I can't remember everything else. I watched it over two days. But I enjoyed it, even though a lot of it clunked. It was long as hell so there was still plenty of stuff that hit. The video about breaking filled me with joy, especially calling people (and themselves, I'm sure) out on sometimes doing it on purpose to save a joke.

JAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaws!

Le tits now!
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:22 am

It seems that Eddie Murphy was actually slated to be in a sketch, but didn't want to kick a man while he was down.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:04 am

That report comes from Norm Macdonald's Twitter (@normmacdonald), and he posted a lot of other behind the scenes bits from SNL40. Well worth reading!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:19 am

Eddie has to keep that streak of not doing anything funny since Bowfinger streak going.

How about James Brown?
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:26 pm

Between last week and this week, I'm finally sold: SNL has hit its stride again. It's a somewhat different beast from what we've grown used to, but reinvention is in the DNA of the show, and their work is hitting the mark with as much consistency as I've seen. The writing has been exceptionally strong as of late.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:22 pm

Jay Pharoah doing all his impressions during Weekend Update for the Annual Black Comedians Meeting was amazing!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Wait, WHAT. Taran Killam was the best person they have and they got rid of him?? WHY?

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:45 am

And Kyle Mooney is still there. How?
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:57 am

I will miss him. He was my fave, and I think their most versatile cast member at this point. I'm shocked they would let him go with one year left on his contract.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 22 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top