The Walking Dead

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Walking Dead

Post  RiverThames on Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:04 am

In some small defense of Carol (very small), she seemed to be telling Daryl he'd be better off on his own completely. She called herself "dead weight". Though Daryl is, of course, smarter than that-- alone in the Zombie Apocalypse is bad, if for no other reason than to have someone else keep watch while you sleep.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:53 am

I would be pleased if Lori AND Carol were offed in one fell swoop. Lori is a self-centered, unsympathetic and horribly written character. Carol serves no purpose now that Sophia is dead. I'd be completely fine with getting rid of this dead weight.

I'm right there with you. Frankly, most of the women and T-Dawg might as well not be there for all they add as characters. I'll throw Carl in the mix too if I have to hear one more time "Where's Carl?". I may not agree with Rick most of the time and I find his wishy-washiness frustrating, but other than Daryl, Andrea and sometimes Glen, I really feel like he's the king of the idiots. Did these people seriously not have a contingency plan if they had to split up other than guessing they would all head to the highway? Did they not keep supplies (including GAS OMG!!) in the cars in case they had to get away quickly? DO THEY NOT REALIZE IT'S THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE? WTF were they doing on the farm when they weren't searching for Sophia and sneaking off for quickies? They certainly weren't keeping track of the 1 child in their midst, LORI.

Otherwise good episode. FINALLY I felt like important zombie things were happening, and I sat straight up when hooded cloak character showed up with her armless zombie slaves and at the last shot of the prison. I'm completely unfamiliar with the comic so I'm actually looking forward to those developments. My S3 wish list is also for less talking and more action. I've never been so happy to see a barn burn.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  themis on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:57 pm

truecrystal wrote:I've never been so happy to see a barn burn.
FOR REAL, Oh my god.

I got so tired of these people talking about how safe the farm was. Was it an underground concrete bunker? Did it have a flaming moat of gasoline around it? Laser defense system? Any razor wire? None of the above, it was a freaking open field and walkers happened by it every other day. Defended by a couple of anthills and convenient cows. It was no safer than the highway they're currently stuck on. I have NO IDEA why anyone with an IQ over 40 would choose that as a base of operations to raise little Lori-kids. Really, spending a whole season thinking 'all these people are too stupid to live' really put a dent in my love for the show.

They have super good aim these days, though. Lots of effortless headshots in the finale.

themis

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:13 pm

I just read an excellent summary of the problems with TWD at Cracked, of all places. Recommended, especially for the section pointing out how splitting Rick into two characters (the Shane/Rick dichotomy) weakened the narrative.

I got so tired of these people talking about how safe the farm was. Was it an underground concrete bunker? Did it have a flaming moat of gasoline around it? Laser defense system? Any razor wire? None of the above, it was a freaking open field and walkers happened by it every other day.
Right!? And when shit finally did hit the fan, their response was to split up and try to kill dozens of walkers with a few guns and a mostly ratty fleet of vehicles. Even if I felt safe in the farmhouse I would have planned just a little bit for some kind of invasion, walker or otherwise. Especially after the incident in town.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal on Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:29 pm

themis wrote:Really, spending a whole season thinking 'all these people are too stupid to live' really put a dent in my love for the show.

My husband got to the point he refused to watch with me because I spent so much time screaming at the tv "YOU ARE ALL STUPID AND DESERVE TO DIE!!" When I saw their big plan consisted of using all of their ammo and driving around in circles until they got too scared to stay I threw my hands up and started rooting for the walkers.

And OMG the summary at Cracked is dead.fucking.right.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:36 pm

I would even forgive a little retconning with them having some supplies in their vehicles.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 am

So I'm a few episodes behind but Shane's death, when Rick knifed him.. I was sure the demon would come out like they do in Supernatural...it kinda looked like the boys' knife.
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:31 am

Whelp.

That was awesome.

Glad to see that IQs have rocketed upwards in the intervening four or five months. Mapping herds, moving like a SWAT team together. Everything about the way the group moved and fought tonight made me happy. Tying up the fence after cutting through it, the organization to get the walkers clear for Rick to run to the other gate. The only time I even questioned them at all was when they were trying to get into the cell block and went through the courtyard hand to hand. I think I would have made some noise at the fence and taken as many down that way before moving in to deal with the armored zombies.

Armored zombies. That shit is hiLARious.

And oh my god, the ending. Between Herschel's leg and the Face Off Zombie... tonight was a very nice night for unexpected gruesomeness.

Frankly, though, I would rather have jettisoned the Andrea-Michonne storyline altogether for this episode. I know fans of the comic book have been chomping at the bit for Michonne and that it just intensified after the finale last spring but really, those two scenes were such sore thumbs. Yeah, Michonne's a bad ass with a katana. But shit's going down at the prison and for once I don't want the walkers to get anyone. Except maybe Carol. We should have just focused on Rick's group, ended with the living prisoners going, "Holy SHIT", and then spent next week with just Andrea and Michonne and left Rick and his team hanging until episode three.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Yeah, definitely much better. There was this awesome sense of acceptance during the opening scene. No one's talking, everyone knows what to do, Carl has a gun and no one thinks twice about it, and Rick's disposal of the dog food can communicated just how desperate and tired they are at this point. Finally everyone is pitching in and doing what needs to be done--even Carol has become a pretty good shot. Last year she was pretty good at laundry.

You could totally see the change in Rick after Herschel was injured. At the farm he would have been hemming and hawing and ethically tortured--now he whips out an axe and performs a field amputation without much comment or debate.

I don't even like Herschel, but I was going "no no no" when he was being gnawed on and I actually flinched during all the bone hacking. I love gore.

I agree that the Michonne scenes were underwhelming. She's a badass, and I'm very much looking forward to more of her, but this was pretty slipshod writing. Murder your darlings, they say. Michonne needed to appear when her presence would have a dramatic impact.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:20 pm

I skipped most of season 2 after realizing that I really wanted to skip the zombie parts because I get scared (I know), but I decided to try again so I just saw the s2 finale and s3 premiere last night and have one burning question: why has Lori let herself stay pregnant when they are still in such a precarious situation and constantly lose any child they have? Especially because of the questionable paternity? Did the farm lull them into false security and the decision was to repopulate? Did the pregnancy make Lori so happy hormonally that she just blew past any discussion of bad timing? Because there are drugs available in most pharmacies (not Walmart's) that could have made her unpregnant quite easily in the first few months, and they would not have been complicated to find nor take, nor would they have expired by this point.

And now I'm braced for a ridiculous birth scene in which walkers are at the door and all the living are screaming at Lori to push or run for gods sake. But otherwise, I like where the premiere seems to be taking us, and how good they've gotten at killing the walkers, as they should have by now.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 pm

Because there are drugs available in most pharmacies (not Walmart's) that could have made her unpregnant quite easily in the first few months, and they would not have been complicated to find nor take, nor would they have expired by this point.
Medical abortion is a bit more complicated than you might think and the timing is such that many women don't know they're pregnant til it's too late for RU486. I don't get the sense that Lori is particularly sophisticated in the medicals sense - a lot of people aren't real clear on the availability of medical abortion and, even if they are, it's doubtful they'd know the name of the medication used. Also, from a story-telling angle continuing the pregnancy is much more fraught with possibility than ending it.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:32 pm

Considering that Lori apparently thought the morning after pill was "the abortion pill", yeah, she doesn't seem so educated on the facts of the various medications.

Agree with naughty zoot that even women thinking more that Lori might hesitate, as there is the potential for dangerous complications such as an incomplete abortion.

ETA: Sorry, missed where you said you didn't see all of season 2! Yeah, as Crackie outlines, she made a very uneducated attempt. Ain't the "morning after" when it's been long enough to test, Lori!

Last edited by Matinee on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:34 pm

Last season she debated whether to terminate and had Glen retrieve birth control pills from a pharmacy.

(Which pissed me off to no end for being factually incorrect, especially given the US political wrangling over birth control pills coverage and rampant misinformation about "the abortion pill." Plus it's probably not going to be in your average pharmacy given that the first step is administered in a physician's office, but anyway.)

ETA Naughty Zoot & Matinee beat me to the punch!

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:53 pm

Yeah, she didn't really know quickly enough to do anything about it, and she really didn't want to go through with the pregnancy, but Rick was pretty pissed that she would make the decision without him.

Then in the season finale he reveals that they're all walkers but just haven't died yet, which is information he's been hanging onto for a long time, so Lori's situation is even more precarious than she originally imagined.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:59 am

I loved how quiet this episode was. I don't think anyone spoke before the first commercial break and then it was quiet again in when they reached the prison. At one point when they were in the prison I thought to myself that this episode reminded me a lot of Hush from Buffy. Lots of silence and awesomeness. I also agree about the Michonne/Andrea scenes. They were kind of crammed in like, "Hey folks! Don't forget we have a subplot over here!" I'm sure we'll get to them later, I think they could have skipped them this epi.

As Hershel was stepping over that body I said out loud, "Poke it first!" and when he didn't I knew he was a goner. I didn't expect Rick to chop off his leg though. Will that really work? I'm assuming blood from his leg circulated his body as they were getting away. I guessed that they would find live people in the prison but I still freaked out when the prisoner talked.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:19 am

Thank you all for the answers! I knew there must have been some kind of discussion on the show, I just missed it.

I actually just finished writing a training manual for healthcare providers on medical abortion, so I'm aware that it's far more in my consciousness than the average person, but I like to think I'd grab a library book on it or look it up in the pharmacist's handbook or something if I were pregnant in a zombie apocalypse and knew even vaguely that the possibility existed - the possibility of pregnancy or childbirth complications is much larger than that of medical abortion complications, especially without any prenatal care or a trained provider at the birth. Even without factoring in zombies. Apparently the writers didn't bother to educate themselves at all either, that's irritating of them to spread misinformation, even if keeping her pregnant furthers the drama. BTW the latest recommendations are that it can be used up to 13 weeks, so not too early to notice. Crackie is right that at least mifepristone (RU486) is probably not be available at most US pharmacies because it's administered at the office, although misoprostol (the second step) might be in pharmacies for other uses (it's handy!). Note to self: break into an ob/gyn's office if I get pregnant during the zombie apocalypse!

I'm very curious to see how the "we're all walkers" thing pans out with the baby. I have my doubts about the leg-chopping too, Raised By Wolves, but it was worth a try I guess.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:49 am

Given that the only alternative was to shoot Hershel in the head right then and there, I figure at least *trying* the amputation would be better than not.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 pm

laddical wrote:Given that the only alternative was to shoot Hershel in the head right then and there, I figure at least *trying* the amputation would be better than not.

Also, given that everyone is a virus carrier anyway, the biggest issue from a bite is dying from fever from infection.

Of course, hacking the leg off with an axe used to kill zombies probably doesn't help from that. But still: best of bad options.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Of course, hacking the leg off with an axe used to kill zombies probably doesn't help from that.

I've been wondering about that too, that axe was already dripping. I understand that everyone zombifies after death, perhaps because of an airborne virus, but that zombie bites and saliva make people sick, die, and then zombify, but I'm surprised how little care is given about getting zombie bodily fluids in, for example, their mouths. When Maggie and Glenn were canoodling in the jail cell and Maggie put her mouth on Glenn's bloody shirt, I wondered about the wisdom of that (also, gross!).

But stepping away from perhaps overthinking things, I liked the moment when they suddenly realized that they could go underneath the helmets of the armored zombies. You could see them (esp. Maggie) have to shift away from heavily-practiced zombie-killing techniques and have to think about it again, and realize it was a fairly simple solution.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Glen Mazzara mentioned on The Talking Dead that the axe was part of Hershel's medical kit for just that reason, and thus was not a weapon they'd been using on zombies.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya on Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:35 pm

hm, ok, I guess I'm misremembering it already being bloody - maybe the shot in my head was from after the amputation began.
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:48 pm

laddical wrote:Glen Mazzara mentioned on The Talking Dead that the axe was part of Hershel's medical kit for just that reason, and thus was not a weapon they'd been using on zombies.

Heh. "No, no. This is the DOCTORING axe, not the ZOMBIE-KILLING axe. Please keep these things straight."
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:44 pm

I had the exact thought about possible unborn zombie-baby about 20 minutes before Lori mentioned it. Glad they put that out there, I guess...

I find it a little surprising that it's not a total given by now that "if I die and come back you immediately put a bullet in my head, OK?"
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:48 pm

I guess it was Dale that lost the leg in the comics, which is a good scene so I can see why they substituted Herschel. However, that was the one stupid thing the group did this week (which is progress for this bunch). If you have the luxury of a doctor you probably shouldn't risk him on search and destroy missions.

Seems like the show runners took the criticism of the group being dumbasses to heart and made them more skilled.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:22 pm

I find it a little surprising that it's not a total given by now that "if I die and come back you immediately put a bullet in my head, OK?"

It probably is a given, but that doesn't mean you don't want some reassurance from time to time. Especially when you're at such an extreme place as Lori is... even compared to the rest of the group and the general "extreme place" that is the world they live in.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 25 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top