Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Walking Dead

+48
Fiammetta
Luciano
dday515
choubetcha
swsa
shanndee
Binky
Snarryfan
Shalamar
LadyGayle
BrightEyes
bbridges
CaroJC
chick binewski
salamandersam
dionneshea
violetq
QueenSix
Raised by wolves
Crackie
mandalaya
FiggyPudding
bookworm
The Dude
MaddyCat
jensa
Wildog27
josie
xyzzy
ActonBell
Matinee
spidey_88
CherryFlame
nikita
punkysdilemma
Bad Username
Cynara
gannetguts
truecrystal
biakbiak
themis
queenofdenile
RiverThames
MichiSichi
laddical
naughty zoot
sagitare
jcpdiesel21
52 posters

Page 23 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

The Walking Dead - Page 23 Empty Re: The Walking Dead

Post  dionneshea Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:01 am

I'm beginning to think that the writers have no idea what they're doing. Like I understand the idea behind following last week's episode with an episode about Morgan's journey. The idea was probably, ''Let's torture the fans by not giving them closure. Let's make them wait." However, I believe it was a huge misstep. First of all, it did not need to be 90 minutes long. Good God, did it not need to be that long. Secondly, I think I would have loved this episode under different circumstances, because I love Morgan and Lennie James, and I always enjoy John Carroll Lynch. However, having it interrupt a story of which I'm actually invested in the outcome? What an idiotic choice. I spent the entire 90 minutes only half paying attention, because I simply DID NOT CARE.

There are times that I really love The Walking Dead - usually in the back half of a season. And there are characters on the show that I find well-developed and interesting, even when I don't agree with what they're doing. Aaron, Michonne, Shane, Carol until Season 5, Carl starting in Season 5, Daryl, Glenn, Beth, Sasha, Morgan, and especially Rick - all have had realistic (to this world) growth, and I like seeing what they're doing. But the plotting on the show has been terrible. There's no rhyme or reason to so many of their choices. I can provide a list if anyone would like one.

But I'm still watching. I guess I still hold out hope.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:35 am

I'm nowhere near done with TWD but when I am I can point to this episode as the beginning of the end.  This episode was so problematic.  Too long, the philosophy was the antithesis of everything we learned in 5+ seasons, the unrealism of the episode, and once again I have to learn to be careful what I wish for because I wanted Morgan back but now that he's back, ugh.

We've learned time and time again in this show that all lives are not worth saving.  We learned it twice LAST FUCKING WEEK in that both Glenn and Rick are dead/endangered because Glenn tried to help Nicholas and Morgan let the Wolves go who trapped Rick with walkers.

As for the setting, Eastman lived alone and can both train and have time to bury every walker he kills unprotected areas? Ridiculous.  Plus his backstory was garbage.  The psychopath he thwarted managed to break out of prison (Bullshit) find his family and kill them (Bullshit) and then I'm supposed to believe that a prisoner who has broken out of prison and committed three more murders gets some kind of work release where Eastman can snatch him and starve him to death? (Whaaaaat Bullshit)  I cannot suspend that much belief.

I wanted to see Morgan again but as an ally to the group, not a dangerous hindrance.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:50 pm

dionneshea wrote:I'm beginning to think that the writers have no idea what they're doing. Like I understand the idea behind following last week's episode with an episode about Morgan's journey. The idea was probably, ''Let's torture the fans by not giving them closure. Let's make them wait." However, I believe it was a huge misstep. First of all, it did not need to be 90 minutes long. Good God, did it not need to be that long. Secondly, I think I would have loved this episode under different circumstances, because I love Morgan and Lennie James, and I always enjoy John Carroll Lynch. However, having it interrupt a story of which I'm actually invested in the outcome? What an idiotic choice. I spent the entire 90 minutes only half paying attention, because I simply DID NOT CARE.
We've learned time and time again in this show that all lives are not worth saving. We learned it twice LAST FUCKING WEEK in that both Glenn and Rick are dead/endangered because Glenn tried to help Nicholas and Morgan let the Wolves go who trapped Rick with walkers.

I so agree. If it fell somewhere else in the season, I might have really liked it (at an hour, not an hour and a half). But I was so checked out because I just wanted to know what was happening with Rick and Glenn. I get the idea of slowing it down after such an intense episode, but it was not the story I wanted to hear at that time, especially when I was so annoyed already with Morgan's tone-deafness to the reality of the world.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:31 pm

I fell asleep the first two times I tried to watch it. Sorry, Morgan.

Lennie James made the point on The Talking Dead that Morgan would not change what he did (letting the wolves go), even if he's now responsible for the attack on Alexandria, because people die doing things Rick's way, too. Yes, they do, but being proactive against their enemies has probably saved their lives a lot more than it has endangered them.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:39 pm

I've never liked how they often put these slow-paced, one-or-two-cast-member episodes in the middle of the action. Remember a few seasons back when there were not one, but TWO episodes in a row of JUST The Governor? I never think the episodes add much and it always takes me out of the current storyline. I couldn't finish this episode and it certainly didn't need to be 90 minutes. This show has so many characters, storylines, and time jumps already, I feel like these types of episodes just needlessly complicate things. Maybe I just get easily confused, though.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:31 pm

I really love Aaron. And he's like, the LAST person who should be blamed about anything the Wolves do, so seeing his guilt over that was hard.

I don't dislike Jessie, but as she's a younger, blonde woman, I assume she's walker-fodder, so I don't really care about her relationship with Rick or anything else they do with her. The only thing it's doing is making me like Rick less, because his behaviour towards her was so creepy last season, that I kind of want him to stay away.

I did like Tara and Denise. I didn't really see that coming, but they're cute together.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:03 pm

dionneshea wrote:I'm beginning to think that the writers have no idea what they're doing. Like I understand the idea behind following last week's episode with an episode about Morgan's journey. The idea was probably, ''Let's torture the fans by not giving them closure. Let's make them wait." However, I believe it was a huge misstep. First of all, it did not need to be 90 minutes long. Good God, did it not need to be that long. Secondly, I think I would have loved this episode under different circumstances, because I love Morgan and Lennie James, and I always enjoy John Carroll Lynch. However, having it interrupt a story of which I'm actually invested in the outcome? What an idiotic choice. I spent the entire 90 minutes only half paying attention, because I simply DID NOT CARE.

Yes. Similarly, I do not care about the random Alexandrians and their angst over the apocalypse. The only one who added to the story in a way I cared about was Aaron (I also forgot he was gay and thought he and Maggie would make a cute post-Glenn relationship). What does Deanna (though props to the actress) wandering around all traumatized add to the story? Didn't Sasha already (kinda) do that? And before that, Rick? How does this add to the show or the story?

Where was Carol? Where was Michonne? (I genuinely have no idea where Michonne is...did she make it back to the camp? The 90 minutes of NO CARE last week means I don't remember). What about Father Gabriel? Why can't I see the characters I care about (Gabriel made that list because he's at least more interesting than the Alexandrians)? You know what would be a great way to make me care about the Alexandrians? Show them interacting with the ones whose names I actually know.

I mean, chances are I would still find the "OH NOES APOCALYPSE" angst boring since that really hasn't been remotely novel since season 3.

But these little duos of people I don't care about is boring and pointless. Even with really great actors (last week was 90 minutes of excellent acting, and yet completely pointless).

It feels like they're treading water until the walls can fall and they can have another massacre a la the camp destruction, or the farm destruction, or the prison destruction, or the terminus destruction.

And yes, Jessie is totally going to bite it (or get bitten).
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Michonne is in Alexandria. She carried the guy that Denise was attending to back to town in a previous episode and she was the one who opened the gate for Rick at the beginning of the last episode. But she didn't say anything, so it's completely understandable why you didn't notice her.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:12 am

Also did I miss a scene explaining how Rick got out of the RV? Because at the end of the last (real) episode he was in a broken down RV saying "we can't go back because that would be selfish," with walkers bearing down on the vehicle, then the first scene of this episode he's running to the gate. I double checked that I went straight from the previously on to the start of the episode.

This episode was a mess. Two episodes and we still don't know what happened to Glenn. Retreads of the Alexandrians being pissy but with new people since the old ones keep dying. No Daryl (really at all this season), no Michonne or Carol this episode. Weird whips of stories like Enid being outside and Jessie's son refusing to come downstairs. I'm glad Denise saved that guy but at the same time I don't care because who is he even? Also did you notice she was randomly in the crowd for Jessie's speech but in the doctors office studying directly before and after?

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:00 pm

I too couldn't remember where Michonne was. So we had Carol, Michonne and Gabriel all in Alexandria, and they couldn't manage a way to give them a bit of story? It was too new people intensive.

I also forgot that Aaron was gay and thought they were setting up a post-Glen relationship.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Casting spoiler.
Spoiler:
I'm not sure how I feel about this.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:30 am

I love him but his character is pure evil so it will be difficult to hate him... But he certainly has the charisma
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:50 am

Evidently my level of care for Sasha and Army Guy Whose Name I Have Forgotten is really, really damn low.

I liked the Daryl parts of the episode, even if "Diabetic Girl Gets Eaten By Walkers" was actually kind of hilarious.

Edit: Abraham. But I had to look it up.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm

I do care about Sasha, but I don't like that Abraham is forgetting about Rosita so easily. Abraham I'm pretty meh on. I like Cudlitz, but that only took me so far.

And I like Daryl, but I just couldn't bring myself to care about his story. The only time I was invested was when he first got away and was trying to yank out his crossbow when HE HAD BETH'S KNIFE ON HIS BELT. For that matter, he usually has 2 knives on his belt, hers and his own, but for some reason only hers was there. But it's still a big old knife. It works to stab walkers in the head.

As always in the top half of a season, this show is meandering. Get to the point already. I'm bored.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 am

I think I'd appreciate this season a lot more if I binge watched it instead of a week at a time. The compressed timeline would be more immediate, and less frustrating.

At this point I'm just pissed we don't have an answer about Glenn. Doing a "slowing down" side story episode right after the third episode is one thing, but having two more main character episodes without an answer is just a dick move.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:16 pm

vwlphb wrote:I think I'd appreciate this season a lot more if I binge watched it instead of a week at a time. The compressed timeline would be more immediate, and less frustrating.

At this point I'm just pissed we don't have an answer about Glenn. Doing a "slowing down" side story episode right after the third episode is one thing, but having two more main character episodes without an answer is just a dick move.

Speculation is
Spoiler:
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Glenn's alive. I'm truly happy about that, because Glenn is my favourite, but I'm kind of sad, too, because the fact that he's alive is stupid. There were dozens of walkers surrounding him. You're telling me they were polite enough only to snack on the guy on top of him and leave his limbs, particularly his legs, completely alone? Bullshit.

The rest was boring. Everything since the first two or three episodes has been boring. I don't care about the Alexandrians (save Aaron), so I don't care what they're doing. Morgan is being stupid, so I don't care what he's doing. Carol is crazy (you know that Sam is going to straight up murder someone now) so I don't care what she's doing. Maggie has never had a point outside of how she relates to Glenn, so I'm not sure I'll ever care about her until they give her an actual effing story line.

I really hope the back 8 are better than the front.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:43 pm

I don't care if it was a total cop-out, I'm so glad Glenn is alive. The show desperately needs someone who won't kill Enid for pointing a gun at him. That said, even though she was being ridiculous, I much enjoyed the Glenn-Enid scenes over the Alexandrians being idiots and Rick being Ricktator, and Carol's bizarre monster lecture.

On Talking Dead, the Chris Hardwick was talking about losing the poignancy of Glenn's almost-death if you binge watch. But I am beginning to find binge watching the only way to tolerate this show and it's dedication to dragging everything out at least three episodes longer than necessary.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:56 pm

Actually this was one of my favorite episodes this year along with the Wolves/Ninja Carol episode and the episode where Glenn "died." I could have only watched those three and I'd really be enjoying this season.

But Glenn not dying was cheap cheap cheap. There's no way none of those walkers started gnawing at his face or shoulders. Maybe there was fresh blood on Nicolas, but they literally pulled him apart from the middle, not the face, so there's no reason they wouldn't go for Glenn's exposed body parts too. So in my head he totally died, and I'm just letting that go.

I think it wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't so obvious how proud the writers are of themselves. They're probably all patting themselves on the back at how clever they were for making us wait three long boring episodes to find out that GASP Glenn is still alive. TWIST! Except totally not.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  FiggyPudding Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:21 pm

vwlphb wrote:I think I'd appreciate this season a lot more if I binge watched it instead of a week at a time. The compressed timeline would be more immediate, and less frustrating.

I agree it was a total dick move, and the main reason I found Glenn's return anti-climactic.  I can live with the obvious flaws in how he survived, but the prolonged reveal just adds another layer of ridiculousness.  Stupid writing and showrunning.  This isn't Game of Thrones, stop trying to be so damn clever and give us some genuine tension.

FiggyPudding

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:40 pm

So that happened.

I'm not sure I'll miss Deanna. She was an interesting character, but we all knew that one way or another Rick would be leading Alexandria, so it was hard to get invested in her. However, I did like scenes with Michonne, and her scenes with Rick. I LOVE that she asked Michonne what she wanted. And that Michonne was giving it serious thought.

All parts of the Carol and Morgan story were so stupid. It was so stupid that Morgan decided to keep the Wolf and try to reform him, but it was also very stupid that Carol picked that moment to put an end to it. Like, there were other things going on guys. Maybe that could have waited until the huge horde of zombies was not beating at the door.

And I thought the way the ended it was weird. No idea what is happening with Daryl (until you saw the preview), Glenn and Enid just staring at Maggie's precarious position, Rick and co just waiting outside their house, and Denise being kidnapped with the other three just watching. I get that they're setting up the back half of the season, but it seemed like a weirdly dangly place to stop the episode and the half-season.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:02 pm

dionneshea wrote:So that happened.

All parts of the Carol and Morgan story were so stupid. It was so stupid that Morgan decided to keep the Wolf and try to reform him, but it was also very stupid that Carol picked that moment to put an end to it. Like, there were other things going on guys. Maybe that could have waited until the huge horde of zombies was not beating at the door.

You know, this is true. But while I was watching it, I didn't care about the admittedly shitty timing. I was just so glad to see non-zombie based conflict, and not ridiculous over the top conflict a la the wife-beating alcoholic machete flailer.

The rest of the episode felt like a boring deathmarch to a cliffhanger. Nothing happened. Maggie climbed a thing; Glenn watched; Rick et al covered themselves to hide in zombie guts. Jessie's sons are both too messed up to live and are probably going to get themselves/her/someone else killed. I had a very hard time caring about Deanna, as almost all the Alexandrians seem like redshirts.

My hope for next season is Glenn, Daryl, Rick, Michonne, and Carol reunited and interacting, instead of the little duos I don't care about all isolated and the characters I want to see separated. I'd like Father Gabriel to do something besides pathetically exist but that's mostly because I adore the actor. The other characters I don't care enough about to have thoughts, aside from thinking Abraham is going to get killed next (as are some useless Alexandrians).
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I found that to be very underwhelming. Didn't much care one way or the other for Deanna, so that wasn't a great loss to me, though if they'd dared to actually have her take Judith out, that would have been an interesting twist.

I kinda think they should've done the same under the poncho thing for Sam as they did for Judith, (though obviously not carrying him, just guiding him.)

Morgan is an idiot.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:35 pm

I still find myself yelling at the TV a lot "Why do you not all routinely carry long, pointed sticks?!" They are reusable, they keep distance between you and the zombie, they don't attract attention like gunfire does, etc.

I'm also officially tired of scenes where zombies try to grab the legs of someone who is climbing up something.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:21 pm

For the love of God, Sam, SHUT UP!
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content