The Walking Dead

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Walking Dead

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:57 pm

So is there any way Lori's car accident isn't the equivalent of the Falling Down the Stairs Incident which usually happens when a TV character is ambivalently pregnant?

The middle of that episode dragged a lot. I also felt like Hershel turned around on his convictions a bit too quickly. He suddenly knew he was wrong *and* told them so?

I haven't read the comics but it sure seems like they are heavily foreshadowing bad shit in store for Dale, which would be too bad since he is the only one I think I genuinely like...
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:23 pm

I must have become temporarily blind to foreshadowing, but I did not see that shooting coming. Sadly, because the show is so talky, that scene didn't have enough work to do. As a show of Rick's new 'tude, that had already been accomplished through dialogue AND action earlier in the episode. If I were in that writer's room, I'd have had someone else shoot the little girl in the last episode, cut the various conversations where Rick talks about his ineffectual leadership, and just had him man up and shoot the bar strangers to shore up the viewer's understanding of his new outlook. We're not dumb, writer people.

I LOLed when Andrea picked up the arm that fell off the truck and handled it like it was just a random log or basket of turnips.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:38 pm

Matinee wrote:Also hoping they continue mirroring book-Carl's coldness with increasing the same in show-Carl.
I'm enjoying this, too. Chandler Riggs seems to be able to handle this gradual turn in his character with ease.

Lori is a complete idiot. She just gave Rick a huge speech about him needing to stay on the farm for Carl's sake and not go running off on errands, and then she endangers herself by going out to find him, Glenn and Herschel. Also, why the need to check the map while driving? So careless. I really wouldn't mind if she died. She's been such an unpleasant character. It was hilarious when Daryl referred to her as Olive Oyl.

I thought the episode was fairly slow up until the final minutes. Here's hoping the rest of the season is like the last handful of minutes and amps up the action and excitement.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat on Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:38 pm

I loved Daryl's Olive Oyl reference--he's easily one of my favorite characters. Lori is...astounding in her stupidity. She's worried about Rick leaving Carl fatherless, so she jumps at the first chance to venture into unknown zombie territory alone? So Carl could be a potential orphan then? WTF? That makes zero sense and was a huge plot hole for me.

I do think Hershel's turnaround is legit, though. I think seeing the zombie massacre that included his family would be a likely catalyst for such a thing. That was one of the only things that made sense to me in this episode.

And I need Shane to go away now. Please.

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I really liked this week's episode. I could have done without Windshield Zombie scrapping the skin off his face, but I didn't dislike anything plot-wise. I'm a little disappointed that Andrea's throwing in with Shane, but I can buy it from the character.

The one thing that got under my skin though was blame-placing all over the place. Glen blamed Maggie for his freezing. Shane blamed Lori for what happened to Otis. And Rick blamed Lori for what happened in town. And Rick is the only one who even came close to stepping up and taking responsibility - he did eventually say, "It came down to them or me, and I chose me." But when he first brought it up, he as much as said, "I killed the living because of you."

That last shot was just creepy. I like Rick because he wants to preserve something "human", rather than just throwing everything to the wind in the name of survival. But the look on Andrew Lincoln's face had me wanting to back slowly out of the room.

Anyone watch "The Talking Dead"? I love their overwrought "In Memoriam..." segment every week.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 pm

laddical wrote:And Rick blamed Lori for what happened in town. And Rick is the only one who even came close to stepping up and taking responsibility - he did eventually say, "It came down to them or me, and I chose me." But when he first brought it up, he as much as said, "I killed the living because of you."

That last shot was just creepy. I like Rick because he wants to preserve something "human", rather than just throwing everything to the wind in the name of survival. But the look on Andrew Lincoln's face had me wanting to back slowly out of the room.

My read on his lines in that scene was of a man who still really loves, respects, and is grateful to his friend (Shane) and is having trouble adjusting to him as the irrational, emotive, angry man Shane has become. I thought he was trying to reason to Lori that she was over-reacting to Shane's behaviour by saying he's done the same thing.

We were speculating on why she didn't mention Shane's attempt to rape her, but figured it's probably because she's thinking (likely correctly) that would drive an immediate confrontation with Shane, and Rick would lose that. He'd hesitate to kill/hurt Shane even if pushed, whereas I think, like Lori and Dale do, that Shane would not hesitate.

I'm hating the characterization of Andrea as Shane's groupie.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:06 pm

Matinee wrote:I'm hating the characterization of Andrea as Shane's groupie.
I am as well. Andrea had more interesting traits and characteristics in the books, and the show is choosing not to highlight these. Ditto Dale, who I really liked in the first season, but whose sole agenda lately seems to be to turn others against Shane.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:22 am

I thought Rick's reaction to the kid impaled on the fence was weirdly polar. One minute he's protecting his tribe by shooting the strangers, but in the next minute he's risking his tribe to save yet another stranger because he's just a kid. It's believable--I don't think Rick knows WHAT the hell he's doing most of the time--but at some point I'd his character to develop more of a backbone. Right now he's all over the place, and he's hard to root for because of his incompetence and stagnancy. It says a lot that I actively root for the jackass redneck racist because his character has struggles and changes as a result. I want him to stick around because I want to see more. I'd like to see more of that depth in Rick and the rest of the crew.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:02 am

xyzzy wrote:I thought Rick's reaction to the kid impaled on the fence was weirdly polar. One minute he's protecting his tribe by shooting the strangers, but in the next minute he's risking his tribe to save yet another stranger because he's just a kid. It's believable--I don't think Rick knows WHAT the hell he's doing most of the time--but at some point I'd his character to develop more of a backbone. Right now he's all over the place, and he's hard to root for because of his incompetence and stagnancy. It says a lot that I actively root for the jackass redneck racist because his character has struggles and changes as a result. I want him to stick around because I want to see more. I'd like to see more of that depth in Rick and the rest of the crew.

If anything, I'd say Rick's choices here were consistent with "police officer". Announce presence with an appeal of moral authority. Respond to threat with appropriate force. All perpetrators are treated with full medical care despite their crimes. It does sometimes seem dumb, but the roots of his choices all come from that same place.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:40 am

If anything, I'd say Rick's choices here were consistent with "police officer".
That's a really good point, @RiverThames. I guess I'd amend my post, in light of that, to ask when Rick is going to let go of the world as it was. He keeps saying he's doing that, but his actions belie his verbalized intent.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Caught up on the show. The scene where the copters napalm Atlanta, I don't think that was zombie related, I think they were spraying kudzu. Only way to deal with that weed.

Yeah Darryl and to a lesser extent Glenn are the only reasons to like the show. Darryl's character arc is good as a "greatness thrust upon" situation. Shame that no one but Carol has given him any positive reinforcement.

Hopefully T Dog gets something to do because at this point he is the stereotypical "Black guy in a horror movie".

At some point Shane needs to grow a Handle-Bar mustache to twirl and tie Lori to some train tracks.

I'm a horrible fanwanker to the degree I'll think of paths not taken that would have ended the series in like 5 minutes. I know I have to suspend disbelief at a zombie outbreak and that horror movie would get nowhere without stupid people, so I shouldn't scream "Get some Hybrids and ditch the Harley if you're worried about noise!". But my mom wouldn't drive through downtown Denver with the car locked and the windows up and they're letting the kids run around that auto grave yard. Not to mention no one thought to point out Herschel is a vet, he probably had to euthanize sick and injured animals. The group is terrible at thinking on its feet.

The whole thing with Shane opening the barn was done wrong to me. He was making a point about protecting the group, someone should have shot him in the back because he was putting everyone at risk letting god knows how many walkers out. A better way to have done that would have been him taking the lock off with one swipe and making it obvious that they were coming at that point. The one thing the movie Defiance did well was
Spoiler:
One guy in their camp was pulling that kind of shit while Daniel Craig was suffering Typhus and he just shot him before he spread insurrection any further.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Casting spoiler for those familiar with the comic (technically it's a casting spoiler for anyone but if you haven't read the comic you won't be familiar with character though there is a blurb about his character). Spoiler is in link!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Spoiler:
Hm. I'll reserve judgment until I see him in action, but I was excited about the John Hawkes rumor since he is awesome in everything.

When is Michonne going to be cast already? And I assume the show isn't even going to bother with Tyreese at this point.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:24 am

So there was a goof and a major spoiler has been revealed
Spoiler:
Shane will be killed off
although expected...what do you think?
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:22 am

Just so I have this strait. They have this kid for at least a week of recovery who was part of a gang of marauders that everyone was particularly concerned about, with two cops who should have at least a passing acquaintance with the value of gleaning information from criminals and they don't bother interrogating him and only find out what he knows when they take his gag off.

I'm going to be rooting for the zombies pretty soon.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:42 am

Well, I sure thought Dale was in for it but didn't know it would go down like that. For those who have read them, is this true to the books?
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 pm

I'm reading the comic, but haven't gotten that far yet. According to Wikipedia:
Spoiler:
The group’s oldest member, Dale, is bitten by a zombie and sneaks into the forest to die alone, but is kidnapped by a group of cannibals, who eat his leg before he dies.
I was surprisingly saddened by them having to kill Dale--not so much because I will miss the character, but because the circumstances were sad. Carl's annoying (but understandably traumatized) and I feel bad that he realizes that he's partially responsible for Dale's death.

But like woah, anvilicious writers from hell. Dale comes upon a disemboweled cow that needs to be put out of its misery, and then he ends up in the same position. *rolls eyes*
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:03 pm

I can't believe they killed Dale! Now he and Andrea will never get together like they did in the comics.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Too bad they had to keep that part of the comic...
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:46 pm

The way it goes down in the books is actually a pretty great Dale moment. It is as the spoiler above but with the additional detail that:

Spoiler:
After they eat his leg in front of them he almost gleefully shows them the bite and is all "I'm INFECTED!!! You ate TAINTED MEAT!!" It's pretty awesome. If I correctly remember, the implication is that the same way the bite cause faster death than an equivalent wound would because of the zombie filth, they will now get fatally ill from eating his tainted leg. Or at least, they are all terrified they will. I think the crew shortly thereafter slaughters them all, saves Dale, and Dale has a nice death scene with Andrea.

Disappointed they won't have Dale/Andrea, but both are less interesting than the were in the books.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  bloomtoperish on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm going to miss Dale. But perhaps his death will bring some "humanity" back to the group, which really was his entire goal in this episode.

Reading the spoilers from the comics, I kind of wish his death had gone down more like that though.

bloomtoperish

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 am

I really liked Dale in the comics and am bummed that we won't get that version of his story, but the TV version of him wasn't nearly as good. Dale was a good character in the first season, but he became too obsessed with revealing Shane's true nature and his rambling speeches about morality were getting dull, so I don't think I'll miss him much. In this week's episode, his quest to save Randall from execution felt like he was running for political office and trying to win over each individual person for their vote. He might as well have had a "Save Randall!" campaign button on the entire time. Also, what was he doing wandering out in the field in the middle of the night? Was he on guard duty, or just meandering around? I'm all for the action moving forward on this show, but not at the expense of characters acting incredibly stupid.

Now that the show has taken such a surprising turn in killing off Dale, my husband is convinced that
Spoiler:
Shane won't die, at least not in this season.

T-Dog had only one line in this episode, and was interrupted by Dale. That about says it all for this character. Why is he still alive?
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:22 am

Token black guy?
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 am

I'm like Homer Simpson with T Dawg "But, Marge, that little guy hasn't done anything yet. Look at him. He' going to do something and you know it's going to be good."
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:29 am

@Jcpdiesel21:
Spoiler:
There was a marketing mix up this week when the network released copy for the DVD set coming out this summer. One of the bullet points was, paraphrasing, "and commentary on Shane's final episode." So I think they're doing it.
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 25 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top