Live Music

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Live Music

Post  dionneshea on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 am

I saw Death Cab For Cutie at Key Arena last night. I love Death Cab, and if he weren't already married to Zooey Deschanel, I'd be claiming Ben Gibbard as my own, but I'm not sure I love them live. It's not that they sounded bad - quite the contrary - it's just that what I love most about their music is not captured in a stadium setting. I think they'd have been amazing in a concert hall.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Re: Live Music

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:07 am

I went to see the Jay-Z/Kanye West "Watch The Throne" concert on Thursday with my sisters. We ended up with some great seats! It was great, the energy level never went down.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:17 am

I was thinking about my "best show ever" experience the other day. Apart from countless Dead and Phish shows, which are another category altogether, I came up with two contenders: Beck, on the Midnite Vultures tour (DEBRA!) and...uh...Bobby McFerrin at the Berklee Performance Center. This was years before he stopped worrying and was happy. It was simply the most fun show ever. It was like a vocal workshop. He divided up the audience and gave us parts to sing to back him up. He grabbed a book out of a girl's bag and made her sing from it! At one point he pulled people (I was one of them!) up on stage and gave us all parts to sing to form a pretty complex 4 part harmony. I think he was having fun because the audience was really musically savvy. It was a riot. He is amazing and I still kind of can't believe that I sang on stage with him...
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:15 am

TiffanyNichelle wrote:I went to see the Jay-Z/Kanye West "Watch The Throne" concert on Thursday with my sisters. We ended up with some great seats! It was great, the energy level never went down.
Ugh, I bet that show was bomb, dude! Jay and Kanye's collaborations are so badass and hard-hitting, and I bet they play well off each other onstage. Which songs were highlights for you at the show, TiffanyNichelle?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:00 am

AHHHH I'M SO JEALOUS. I bet that was an awesome show.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:25 pm

Otis and In Paris were real highlights, and I really loved when they did Monster. Jay-Z outshined Kanye though. Even just some of his older hits, he was on fire. Kayne tried but more of the things he did was a little on the mellow side. But you can tell they had fun together.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:05 am

Ugh, those are my two faves songs off Watch the Throne, so I would love to see them perform those live! Also, I never thought I'd hear the words "Kanye" and "mellow" in a sentence. Dude just seems too intense for his own good!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:38 pm

I went to see Foo Fighters last night at Madison Square Garden. It was so good that even when there were songs I didn't know, I didn't mind because they were still awesome to just listen to. They played from about 9 to a little after 12, with a quick appearance by Joan Jett during one of the 7 encore songs. So cool!
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Ooh, that sounds awesome, TiffanyNichelle! We're going to the show in Boston Wednesday night. I'm looking forward to seeing Social D., almost more than the Foo actually. (But only because this will be my third or fourth time seeing them.)
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:31 pm

That sounds amazing, TiffanyNichelle! I wish that there had been an awesome surprise musical guest appearance when I saw the Foos in Kansas City, but the concert was still incredibly awesome. They put on a fantastic, satisfyingly long show with a lot of energy, and I was impressed with how far back they reached into their back catalog for their longtime fans.

I found a video of this special performance of "Bad Reputation," and they are all gathering to perform it again on Late Night with David Letterman tonight!
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Crackie on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:59 pm

I saw the Foos in DC this past Friday. Social D kicked so much ass, but the Foo Fighters were just unreal. I splurged & spent waaaasy too much on floor tickets from a broker, but it was totally worth it. And Dave promised they'd come back & play the 9:30 club. If they do, I'll just die from happy.

Crackie

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:19 am

jcpdiesel21 wrote:I found a video of this special performance of "Bad Reputation," and they are all gathering to perform it again on Late Night with David Letterman tonight!
That was AWESOME. WHY have I never seen the Foo in concert? I need to catch them next time.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:10 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:
jcpdiesel21 wrote:I found a video of this special performance of "Bad Reputation," and they are all gathering to perform it again on Late Night with David Letterman tonight!
That was AWESOME. WHY have I never seen the Foo in concert? I need to catch them next time.
I am going with you.
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:41 pm

My company is letting us buy pre-sale tickets to Kelly Clarkson in January. But it's on a Thursday. When did I become so old that going to a concert on a weeknight just seemed like too much effort?

I'm still considering it.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:03 pm

dinahmoe wrote:
Instant Monkeys wrote:That was AWESOME. WHY have I never seen the Foo in concert? I need to catch them next time.

I am going with you.
We will view the Foo!! I'm also taking you with me if the Police ever tour again. Not that I didn't enjoy going with MY MOM, but I doubt she'd want to go a second time.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:38 pm

Sheli wrote:My company is letting us buy pre-sale tickets to Kelly Clarkson in January. But it's on a Thursday. When did I become so old that going to a concert on a weeknight just seemed like too much effort?

I'm still considering it.

Ha! After last night's debacle and the missed FF show, I've decided that there are like 3 bands I'm willing to buy tickets for and exert the energy required to go to a show. And one of them is The Smiths, so you know, likely not happening in this lifetime. (Though I will still consider shows at the Pavillion. Because those don't feel so strenuous. However, it would take Kurt Cobain coming back from the dead to get me to Great Woods/Tweeter/Whateverthehellitscalled now.)
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:38 pm

I think one of my New Year's resolutions is going to be to try and see more live music this year. At some point in life, I decided to accept that I was a total homebody so I stopped buying tickets, but this past year I saw a couple of shows at small club kind of venues and it was FUN! Like, I was surprised because I know that going to shows when I was younger made me feel old, but now that I'm older, it makes me feel young, apparently.

I just have to remember to bring my earplugs so I don't end up desperately using my earbuds with the dangling cord and causing my boyfriend to pretend not to know who I am.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:25 am

I'd really love to catch Florence + the Machine sometime soon. Their music is so incredibly atmospheric that I can only imagine how heavenly it is when it fills up a theater venue! I also wanna see the Black Keys, but their U.S. tour dates so far don't include L.A.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  dinahmoe on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:54 pm

80's geek alert: Going to see THOMAS DOLBY with naughty zoot and mr. zoot, two of my favorite people! Just the thought of maybe hearing "Europa and the Pirate Twins" live and up close and personal is giving me the shivers...
dinahmoe

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 am

I'm hoping to see Eric Hutchinson live for the second time in May. I love his wit and humor onstage, and his voice sounds incredible live!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:53 pm

So, I just randomly found out from a random and unrelated Tumblr that I sometimes follow that Radiohead is touring. I looked up the date that they're where I am, and guess when tickets go on sale? OH, TOMORROW. Good timing!

Apparently they release them first on Radiohead's own site, and they have a limit of two and you have to enter the names of the people the tickets are for and you get them at will call. And, they tell you the date they go on sale but not the time, so you just have to keep looking and buy them when they appear. Sneaky Radiohead. So hopefully this will not be a repeat of the Fiona Apple situation where they were sold out in under ten seconds and then two minutes later appeared on StubHub at three times the price.

My sister and I are mobilized -- we will be checking throughout the morning, and once one of us has tickets IN THE CART we are to text the other one. Because we can't really buy two sets and sell one because of the whole thing with putting in the names; it's like airline tickets. Then I guess a couple of days later the rest (80% or so) go to Ticketbastard.

I have seen them once and would LOVE to see them one more time. Fiona Apple, Radiohead, the Police, and Garbage are my big four that I will always want to see again.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Radiohead, Instant Monkeys. I wish they were playing anywhere but Great Woods/Tweeter/thesuckitall arena. That's like 4 hours of your life you'll never get back trying to get out of that parking lot.

I wish they'd play the Pavilion again. I know it's smaller, but they played it before, and it's still my favorite spot for a concert.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:14 pm

mokey75 wrote:That's like 4 hours of your life you'll never get back trying to get out of that parking lot.
You are not kidding. And not just sitting in the car, but walking (or being pushed along with the mob) to the car.

One thing that was fun though, the last (and only previous) time I went to a Radiohead concert, was that driving down it slowly became apparent that EVERYONE on the highway near us was going to the concert. Lots of Radiohead being blasted out of windows, signs on cars, etc. That was fun. (Unfortunately all those people made us late to the concert. Stupid Great Woods. We only missed the opening act though.)

I like the Pavillion too, except I don't like squashing onto the Silver Line afterwards.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:19 pm

mokey75 wrote:Thanks for the heads up on Radiohead, Instant Monkeys. I wish they were playing anywhere but Great Woods/Tweeter/thesuckitall arena. That's like 4 hours of your life you'll never get back trying to get out of that parking lot.

Don't ever park there! Park down the street at the grocery store plaza. It's a short walk, especially in sneakers, and it lets you sober up and/or process the show while you walk. Head in the other direction from the arena when you pull out of the parking lot and you won't hit much traffic at all; there's a highway entrance right near there. It is more of a walk than the parking lot, but totally worth it to avoid paying for parking and to avoid the wait getting out of that parking lot.

I actually like going to shows there because there's the choice of the lawn, which is fun and chill, or the seats where you can get a pretty good view. Enjoyed Aerosmith there a few years ago when Dropkick Murphys opened up for them.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:50 am

I really want to see Lykke Li, Sia, and Florence + the Machine. Can there possibly be some way to mask them all onto one line-up this year? That would be EPIC.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top