Television Without Pity

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Eris Rising wrote:Starting here in the Forum Suggestions thread, the RHOBH posters begin a polite mutiny over the extensive rules list and perceived overmodding of the thread. Bring popcorn.

The forum suggestions thread is my favorite thread now. I really loved when the Teen Mom people were like we're never going to follow the rules so stop closing our thread. Their agruments were so good they had me agreeing with the mods.

I did like the person who called out those "two" posters who only seem to live for reporting things in the Troll or Forum Traffic thread. Go in there at any time of day, you'll see their reports.
avatar
TiffanyNichelle

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  swsa on Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:21 pm

Eris Rising wrote:Starting here in the Forum Suggestions thread, the RHOBH posters begin a polite mutiny over the extensive rules list and perceived overmodding of the thread. Bring popcorn.
This was extremely satisfying and a long time coming.

And I call bs on TWoPPemberton saying his/her mod style is more lax these days. I can't say I've followed him specifically, but it is just very hard for me to believe that ANYONE there is more lax these days. I spent years fighting in the Buffy threads without getting a single warning, but within one year, I got dinged TWICE for Project Runway, of ALL things. And that's when I packed it in.
avatar
swsa

Posts : 858
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  tothemax on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:00 pm

I cannot believe there are so many rules for the RHoBH thread. Who could possibly remember all of them?

tothemax

Posts : 276
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Putli Bai on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:21 pm

I've largely abandoned TWoP, for all the reasons stated in this and other similiar threads. I'll pop over every once in a while to read about The Amazing Race, but I haven't logged in in years, can't imagine trying to post. Reading the linked thread just made me sad, because I used to have a LOT of fun over there.
avatar
Putli Bai

Posts : 671
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:41 pm

swsa wrote:
This was extremely satisfying and a long time coming.

And I call bs on TWoPPemberton saying his/her mod style is more lax these days. I can't say I've followed him specifically, but it is just very hard for me to believe that ANYONE there is more lax these days. I spent years fighting in the Buffy threads without getting a single warning, but within one year, I got dinged TWICE for Project Runway, of ALL things. And that's when I packed it in.

Over at the latest incarnation of TWOP Sucks, the general consensus seems to be that Pembleton is a good egg (his/her FTC and Troll Patrol responses have been the subject of some admiration), but that Howard is simply out of control.

I think that I've posted over there once in the past year, and I don't recall when before that.
avatar
Eris Rising

Posts : 1040
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  jaraga on Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:19 am

I'm pretty sure Sobell is Pembleton.


Last edited by jaraga on Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total

jaraga

Posts : 35
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  blixie on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:27 am

Howard is simply out of control.

Completely, I just realized Howard edited a post I made like a week ago for "boards on boards" and I think it's because I said "Hugely UO", so using that term is now boards on boards, or your only allowed to do it in threads devoted to the concept or what. Weirder I wasn't given a warning so literally Howard edited a week old just because he/she is THAT anal.

blixie
Mod Squad

Posts : 1840
Join date : 2011-10-21

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Tabby on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:50 am

I used to spend tons of time on TWoP, and now I just visit a couple of the basement threads every now and then, and sometimes check the threads on Amazing Race or Survivor. I can't remember the last time I read a recap.

I think a lot of people have dropped out. I remember when TAR and Survivor episode threads would be 20-30 pages long when I visited TWoP the morning after their shows aired. Now, they're never into double digits when I check them. That might be a factor of the shows getting old and wearing out (especially Survivor), but I'd guess a lot of the old-time TWoP people have gone.
avatar
Tabby

Posts : 730
Join date : 2011-10-25
Age : 57
Location : Minneapolis, Minnesota

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  mayram on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:20 am

jaraga wrote:I'm pretty sure Sobell is Pembleton.

It's Kim, who was always one of the better mods. She never seemed to take the job too seriously and let all the minor shit slide.

Howard, OTOH, is incapable of letting anything slide and is so freaking literal. People used to bring some of her wackier stuff over to BBB, I remember one where it said "Edited by Twop Howard. Reason: Added Punctuation" to a post that consisted of "Wow." That was the entire post but Howard actually took the time to edit the period in. Seriously.

mayram

Posts : 576
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Renny Sue on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:39 am

Yeah that was Howard that did my post. I haven't had a response from my PM either.

The stupidity on the Glee board. Apparently discussing spoilers too much is what stopped it being allowed. Apparently they don't make their money on page views anymore!

Renny Sue

Posts : 38
Join date : 2011-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  swsa on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:36 pm

And Strega just responded in list form to all the complaints, to basically say that nothing will be changing. Heee. Who could've called that one?
avatar
swsa

Posts : 858
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:39 pm

And it's still going on. And I'm out of popcorn. Off to the store.

Save my seat.
avatar
Eris Rising

Posts : 1040
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  ulkis on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27 pm

Howard, OTOH, is incapable of letting anything slide and is so freaking literal. People used to bring some of her wackier stuff over to BBB, I remember one where it said "Edited by Twop Howard. Reason: Added Punctuation" to a post that consisted of "Wow." That was the entire post but Howard actually took the time to edit the period in. Seriously. .

What's annoying about Howard she/he was a poster first.

I saw in the FAQ sections that Howard doesn't think that smiley faces shouldn't be used either. SOMETIMES YOU GOTTA USE A SMILEY, OKAY HOWARD. sheesh.

I spent years fighting in the Buffy threads without getting a single warning, but within one year, I got dinged TWICE for Project Runway, of ALL things. And that's when I packed it in..

Me too! I posted *once* in the Game of Thrones thread about how I thought Lena forget-her-last-name is playing Cercei too crazy and I got warned for posting a spoiler. Er, what?
Spoiler:
If you read the book I guess I can understand how that can be construed as a spoiler, but my comment had nothing to do what happens later on, and I don't see how someone who hasn't read the books can figure out what was going to happen from that.
I forget who mods there but I decided to back out of that section immediately, it isn't worth the risk.

ulkis

Posts : 760
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  blooey on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:22 pm

blixie wrote:
Howard is simply out of control.

Completely, I just realized Howard edited a post I made like a week ago for "boards on boards" and I think it's because I said "Hugely UO", so using that term is now boards on boards, or your only allowed to do it in threads devoted to the concept or what. Weirder I wasn't given a warning so literally Howard edited a week old just because he/she is THAT anal.
I feel so cool right now, I got dinged for that once too! I think mine was, "This is probably an unpopular opinion, but..." I've kept my nose clean since then and stayed out of trouble, but it so, so hard.

What bugs me is that it just leads to an environment where people can say whatever offensive thing they want, and no one is allowed to call them out on it. It drives the reasonable posters away, since most people don't want to hang out in a thread where an angry poster repeatedly calls a character a bitch because he doesn't like the look on her face while she's been standing in the background of some scenes this season, and then responds with "but lol it's just a word lighten up" when someone finally calls him on it.

blooey

Posts : 186
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  ulkis on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:20 pm

What bugs me is that it just leads to an environment where people can say whatever offensive thing they want, and no one is allowed to call them out on it

I guess you can PM that person, but I'm not ballsy enough to PM assholes and tell them they're assholes.

ulkis

Posts : 760
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Siena on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 pm

I rarely post anymore, and I really only go over to read the Castle forum, which is infuriating because there's some good content but the thread as a whole has started to take that turn into dangerous territory. When you have a really dominant negative voice, people posting repeatedly that they can't deal with the show's many sins anymore, but that they stay on the thread because of all the good snark, and when they start doing cutsie things (the GiveUp Motel is the current Castle cutsiewoowoo thing of choice) the thread nosedives. So I go because there's discussion, but leave feeling worse about the show than I actually do.

Siena

Posts : 5
Join date : 2011-11-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:00 pm

I hate that with the Gossip Girl episode threads if you aren't there for the first three or four pages you won't get a chance to discuss the episode at all because the next ten pages are just rehasing stupid Blair/Chuck crap from three seasons ago. If you don't watch the show right away and discuss it right away, you're screwed.

I gave up on the Castle thread in the first season when everything was "what good Castle/Beckett flirty scenes did we get? None? Then this show sucks ass." That also drove me out of the Hawaii 5-0 thread.
avatar
TiffanyNichelle

Posts : 606
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  BreezyK on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:24 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:I hate that with the Gossip Girl episode threads if you aren't there for the first three or four pages you won't get a chance to discuss the episode at all because the next ten pages are just rehasing stupid Blair/Chuck crap from three seasons ago. If you don't watch the show right away and discuss it right away, you're screwed.

I will say that this was a problem even waaaaaay back when. Remember when they would open the episode thread that day, and you would have to wade through 20 pages of speculation before you could even get to episode reactions? They cut down on that later, but it used to be particularly bad in the Buffy forums.

It is such a bummer because it used to be SUCH a fun forum, filled with smart people and now, all over the web, if someone brings up TWoP inevitably the talk turns to how it used to be a great place. It really set the stage for places like Vulture and AV Club to talk about tv seriously, with feedback, but it has fallen so far.

BreezyK

Posts : 209
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  xyzzy on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:36 pm

The first time I noticed that TWoP was going downhill was when posters started trying to circumvent the chat rule by writing play-by-play reactions as they watched a show and then posting the whole thing. As if a post that reads like--

OMG! DID YOU SEE THAT? Can't believe she wore that to court. Stupid Alyssa. Hate his hair. Woah, that chick was in that movie that one time.

--makes so much more sense as a single post. And you'd have like 20 or 30 of these before any "normal" discussion could begin. At that point is was clear that TWoP's userbase had begun to fundamentally shift. No old-skool TWoP member would try that horseshit. Or even WANT to.

I still go there for a few basement threads, but it's more like a bi-weekly visit than the daily one it used to be.
avatar
xyzzy

Posts : 430
Join date : 2011-10-25
Age : 42

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Renny Sue on Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Eh people have been saying that for years even before it was TWOP. You always read 'it was better not so long ago' every couple of years.

Renny Sue

Posts : 38
Join date : 2011-10-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Renny Sue wrote:Eh people have been saying that for years even before it was TWOP. You always read 'it was better not so long ago' every couple of years.

There's certainly a case to be made for your point. I do believe that there's been a more significant shift in both the type and the quality of posts since the NBC/Universal sale, though that was probably inevitable.


Last edited by Eris Rising on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Eris Rising

Posts : 1040
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Corvus on Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:43 pm

And every year it becomes more true.
avatar
Corvus

Posts : 272
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  ulkis on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:27 pm

It really set the stage for places like Vulture and AV Club to talk about tv seriously, with feedback, but it has fallen so far. .

Do those places have message boards? Then I'll have to check it out. I was under the impression they just had columns and then people replied to the author of said column. Some good comments but I find they make for poor actual debate/discussion.

ulkis

Posts : 760
Join date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  BreezyK on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:24 pm

They do not have message boards, but at this point, I tend to prefer comments on the post, because it limits it to the episode at hand. AV Club tends to be more misogynistic (although that's cut down since they no longer allow unregistered posting) and I find that the chatter at Vulture is brief, but the comments on The Good Wife and Smash are both pretty great, and of course, the comments on Gossip Girl are in a league of their own.

BreezyK

Posts : 209
Join date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  bbridges on Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:56 pm

The AV Club comments vary wildly by what show they are discussing. Every thread for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia devolved into a discussion of why Emily Yoshida didn't get the humor because she was a woman but the comments on the TV Club classic reviews of Avatar: The Last Airbender are great.
avatar
bbridges

Posts : 282
Join date : 2011-10-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum