Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Television Without Pity

+129
themis
festivus
punzy
dinahmoe
MaddyCat
Caramel Coffee
Gallifrey Girl
truecrystal
eventide82
Maria De Salle
BrightEyes
Muggsy
Corellderaan
rivki8699
Salieri
Lily Rose
CindyMc
GoodbyeWithWords
jstilwe
megageek
The Mighty Peanut
00redsvt
oxymoron
Mulva
Snarryfan
More Cowbell
Jude
naughty zoot
dionneshea
SarahJanet
winncienzo
Author By Night
greensock
Pumpkin Cake
violetq
Pop'n'Fresh
Luciano
VictorLaszlo
Binky
KaveDweller
QueenSix
UmaOprah
mialoubug
Fraoch
Coneycat
Raksha
draco vulgaris
Swarley
emrie
NoNotreally
Shadowlass
Jamie
VodouDoll
laddical
darthtall
Carrie Ann
Lancer
Sheli
Raised by wolves
Gillian
Matinee
Nerg
LadyGayle
Snarker
Esseilte
ActonBell
The Dude
MLIS
nazlan
Heather
Francie Nolan
Decca
Miss Moneypenny
Never Enough
flore
Red Wolf
Red Ghost
SelfAmused
Wildog27
bosoxgirl
Cutebutpsycho
whatthedeuce
Corvus
BreezyK
Siena
Tabby
jaraga
Putli Bai
xyzzy
Renny Sue
Unlucky Bear
gannetguts
PrincessCleo
Poubelle
Kiran
bbridges
snorf
pamchenko
Arabella
screamin
mo pie
MtOlivePickles
tothemax
jcpdiesel21
maxell131313
Luthien
Algae
swsa
Eris Rising
mayram
punkysdilemma
Ji Xiang
big chicken
biakbiak
blixie
roly
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Instant Monkeys
blooey
Crowbridge
queenofdenile
mrinsouciance
ulkis
Jessica
skittlebox
Gilraen
RiverThames
Shalamar
133 posters

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next

Go down

Television Without Pity - Page 6 Empty Re: Television Without Pity

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:10 am

I read several pages of the Leverage thread last weekend and was surprised that the discussions sounded sane. I'm so used to nothing but vitriol and hateration all over the boards that it's shocking when you can see posters being decent to each other and actually daring to LIKE the show they're all discussing!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:43 am

Wait. What? I'm tempted to go see, but terrified that if I go, I will disturb the environment and everyone will go batshit.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:46 am

I read several months-old pages (during and right after the autumn hiatus), so for all I know, the batshit crazies infiltrated the place in recent weeks. You may want to proceed with caution, Cutebutpsycho.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:57 am

I think I shall refrain from going. I'm not sure if I'm up for yelling at my computer, especially since it's held together with duct tape and that might blow the monitor off the hinges.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 am

I respect your choice. It's a very wise one.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:37 am

The Mad Men forums are cracking me up. Lots of complaining about what a jerk the show's creator is for not releasing any spoilers or previews for the upcoming season, but also a lot of discussion about...the upcoming season. Gee, I wonder why that is?

The Brady Bunch thread has also been amusing since Davy Jones' death. Apparently, Maureen McCormack is supposed to be weeping uncontrollably over it and is an icy bitch for releasing a statement saying, "He will be missed." Heh-heh.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Crowbridge wrote:The Mad Men forums are cracking me up. Lots of complaining about what a jerk the show's creator is for not releasing any spoilers or previews for the upcoming season, but also a lot of discussion about...the upcoming season. Gee, I wonder why that is?

The Brady Bunch thread has also been amusing since Davy Jones' death. Apparently, Maureen McCormack is supposed to be weeping uncontrollably over it and is an icy bitch for releasing a statement saying, "He will be missed." Heh-heh.

Hey, this man was the target of obsession for a character she played on television for the length of an entire episode, and was kind enough to show up as a well-paid guest star! How dare she not shave her head, rend her clothes, and don sackcloth and ashes!
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:02 am

Ummm, Maureen wasn't obsessed with Davy, TWoPpers. Only Marcia (THE FICTIONAL CHARACTER SHE PLAYED) was, so chill out.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:33 pm

I hate it when threads get overrun by bitter people who lack a sense of humor. I mean, whatever, post whatever unfunny thing you want, but then they jump all over everyone else and get pissy for no reason. And this totally isn't me wondering why TWoP is so mean to me personally because I don't even post in the thread I'm passive-aggressively talking about. It's just not fun to go in there to talk about a show you thought was awesome and have everyone yelling at each other.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:38 pm

I agree. Sometimes a show is just a show and they aren't saying more than "this is entertaining" and there's nothing wrong with that. I like having shows that I have fun watching.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:18 am

When you check out most TWoP threads, you get the sense TV isn't meant to be entertaining at all. There's almost no sense of fun in so many of the forums.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  bosoxgirl Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 am

It used to be so funny and smart over there but the bitterness now is really crazy. I received my first warning last week (deservedly so) for going off on the hateful harpies in the Bethenny Ever After thread. I'm not even a huge Bethenny Frankel fan but the hatred over there is so over the top and so repetitive that I just couldn't take it.

Yesterday the Barefoot Contessa thread was filled with posters complaining about Ina Garten's clothing and making wardrobe suggestions. I'm sure Ina is really interested in the stylists over at TWoP.

Also, I almost never read recaps anymore but I'm so surprised that they haven't changed to all weecaps. Who wants to read a long recap of Project Runway or Top Chef a full week after the show aired? It was one thing back when TWoP was the only game in town for show recaps but every entertainment site now has recaps up sometimes mere hours after the show has aired. It makes them seem really behind the times.

bosoxgirl

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:36 pm

TWoP Howard came into a thread to admonish posters for using @username syntax, stating that this isn't standard American English.

So, yeah. That happened.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 pm

That is probably one of the few moderating decisions I agree with Howard about because the @ symbol is completely unnecessary anywhere outside of twitter.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:29 pm

The @username syntax is starting to spread, though--a number of forum frameworks have started to integrate it into their messaging/alerting systems. So, for instance, if you type @username in a post the person referred to gets an automagic forum alert that they've been mentioned in a thread. Not that TWoP has that feature, of course.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:32 pm

And it's something that I hate and one reason that I still prefer TWOP over other forums.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Yeah much as it pains me I agree that the twitter nation using the form outside the venue is kind of lame and annoying, and also encourages the kind of one to one conversation that should be happening via PM, otherwise it sounds like you're just too lazy to "quote" the text of the original poster, or even just bold their name.

I still think Howard is a capricious pill and I'd rather see a site wide/FAQ addressing of it, there by eliminating it equally.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:50 pm

I have (rarely) used this notation, but it doesn't particularly affect me either way. I don't see much difference between writing @username to address something to a particular user or just using the username with a comma after it. I'm not defending the practice, though, or suggesting that TWoP should explicitly allow it--I'm mostly just entertained by the fact that Howard (and other mods) will edit out @username syntax but blithely ignore bitchfests between shippers and other fun thread-destroying activities.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:31 am

I don't like the @ thing at TWoP either. It bugs me. Bold the name or something, don't do that.

I do love the people who comment about how dead a thread is. "Wow, two hours after the episode and only 5 posts? I guess no one watches it anymore/hates it so much/it's just that awful a show but I need to comment on how much I hate it anyway." It's very boards on boards but it's never reported. Plus it's usually in a thread that's full of people who absolutely hate the show and spend all their time bitching about it. So even if there were a few people who did like it I bet they wouldn't want to post in that thread anymore. What's the point? And after a while bitching about a show has to lose interest. If it's so horrible and stupid what does it say about you that you keep watching it even though you hate it?
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:35 am

OK, I've been holding this one in for a couple of weeks. I was in the Spoiler section for "The Walking Dead" and someone posted a couple of pictures for the finale. One had a picture of Carol and Daryl riding on the back of a motorcycle and one of the posters interpreted the look on Carol's face as "smug." On one hand, I don't have a problem with judging a character based on their past actions and patterns, but one thing Carol has NEVER been is smug and it just struck me as incredibly judgmental and some kind of projection desiring for the character of Daryl and almost jealousy that the character of Carol could have him while the poster couldn't. And now I realizing I'M making judgments on a poster I don't even know... <sigh>

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:00 pm

No, I agree, "smug" is an overused term. And I notice it's mostly women who are "smug". "smug" is rarely used an insult towards men. ("shrew" is also another word I can go without hearing ever again. It amuses me that so many women are "shrews" and so many actresses accused of "shrieking" when they yell. I'd like to hear how a lot of the women posters who use these words sound when *they're* upset and yelling.)

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:28 pm

Yikes. The new forum updates allow people to give "reputation points" to posts. I get Strega's point that it can cut down on posts that are just "Ha" or "This." but still . . . I can see it being problematic for the more drama-queeny posters. Glad they're proceeding with caution.

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:31 am

Also the spoiler function isn't working like it used to so be careful.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:14 pm

I'm not diggin' the new look so far. The "go to first unread post" dealie doesn't seem to be working, and unless everyone has suddenly become totally clueless about how to properly quote someone, that ain't working either.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Yeah the old quotes boxes aren't showing up and I hate that I can't tell what thread I've replied in. But they did warn that it was early days so hopefully everything will get fixed.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 30 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18 ... 30  Next