Television Without Pity

Page 10 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Go down

Television Without Pity - Page 10 Empty Re: Television Without Pity

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

It's sad because the first two seasons or so of Supernatural, Demian's recaps were pretty funny. They and Omar G's Smallville recaps where the only ones I read on the regular. Maybe he's been recapping the show for too long. It's no longer fun, the show isn't as good as it used to be, fandom is crazier than ever.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 pm

I think that happens to him. Hes good if he likes the show or isn't burned out on it, but...then you get something like Charmed. Which admittedly I hated that show at the end too so I found his hatefulness hilarious.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyGayle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Demian's Charmed recaps were hilarious. Vitriolic, yes, and probably hard to take if you genuinely liked that show at all, but I found them witty and fun. But I got sick of Raoul the gay dragon in a real hurry.

Jacob, otoh, is straight-up insufferable. The man is not half as smart and insightful as he thinks he is, and he can't write at all. Plus, he's always been weirdly ageist and sexist (even though I bet he considers himself a feminist).

LadyGayle

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:45 pm

The last few recaps Raoul's seemed to be absent, no? did he come back? I've always liked Demian's recaps, but I've always thought Supernatural deserved to be made fun of, even when I was enjoying the show.

The problem with Raoul is that the Supernatural section used to have a ridiculous looking dragon picture that looked like it was flailing its claws around. Now it's gone people probably wonder why the heck he's in there. also it was a joke that was run into the ground years ago, there's that little fact too, heh.

I like Jacob when he's mean about an episode too. One episode recap of Battlestar Galactica, "the Woman King" was hilarious because Jacob was scathing in a funny way, not in a "blah blah you have failed as Art way, show".

Anyhoodle. The reason I came here is to ask about the search function in the forums. Does it work for anyone else or am I just a blathering incompetent? I miss the old search function so much. I know it's not their fault this time because they had to update it, but still :(

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 am

I can't use search for shit on that site anymore. I have to go to google and enter a search string ending with site:televisionwithoutpity.com to get decent results.

I also can't seem to figure out why I can't just get a listing of all my old posts from my profile. I can see the last 10 or so, but yes, Virginia, sometimes I do want to find something I posted about Worf's bondage chair in 2006.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:38 am

Yeah, those problems have been discussed in the technical issues threads. However, there's been no resolution as yet, and no announcement of a resolution.

This is why I hate upgrading in general. Quite often, the new features aren't better and don't work as well, while some old and useful ones are removed or broken.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:03 am

Though in TWOP's case, the search function has a long history of being ridiculous. Remember when you couldn't search for words of four letters or fewer?

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:04 am

And the ridiculous search spam thing, where you'd have to wait for what seemed like an age before you could modify your search to try again.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Nerg on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:54 am

I like Jacob when he's mean about an episode too. One episode recap of Battlestar Galactica, "the Woman King" was hilarious because Jacob was scathing in a funny way, not in a "blah blah you have failed as Art way, show".
Yeah, as pretentious as he is, he can sometimes be hilarious and on point. See: every single Gossip Girl recap. Or rant in the BSG series finale recaplet. I could never actually make it through a whole BSG recap of his though.

Nerg

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:55 pm

ulkis wrote:The last few recaps Raoul's seemed to be absent, no? did he come back? I've always liked Demian's recaps, but I've always thought Supernatural deserved to be made fun of, even when I was enjoying the show.

The problem with Raoul is that the Supernatural section used to have a ridiculous looking dragon picture that looked like it was flailing its claws around. Now it's gone people probably wonder why the heck he's in there. also it was a joke that was run into the ground years ago, there's that little fact too, heh.

Anyhoodle. The reason I came here is to ask about the search function in the forums. Does it work for anyone else or am I just a blathering incompetent? I miss the old search function so much. I know it's not their fault this time because they had to update it, but still :(

Yeah, you can't search within a thread anymore, making a search on a site on that size useless IMO.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Every time Howard goes on one of her obsessive-compulsive bitch fits re-editing posts, (in this case because the way someone emphasized something all caps/bold when I guess it's a rule now that only italics are allowed for that? Yeah I totally don't think that's an actual rule.) I ask myself, who gives this much of a shit? Apparently TWoP Howard gives this much of a shit, she must imagine herself as some kind of super hero of forum moderation. EVER VIGILANT. That's right bitch, I just used all caps for emphasis.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  xyzzy on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:27 pm

I was just coming here to bitch about Howard myself. She descended into the MasterChef thread after closing it two days ago because of her strict constructionist interpretation of what constitutes "on topic" and the "opinion vs. fact" rules. Christ.

People aren't little islands who can separate everything they know from the limited universe of a tv show. It is inevitable that people will want to discuss their own experiences with food when discussing a cooking competition. And I am not going to preface every single sentence I write at TWoP with "imho" or "I think" or "I believe." That's not good writing. Any half decent English professor will beat that habit out of you in two essays or less.

IMHO, I think and believe that TWoP Howard needs to GO AWAY.
xyzzy
xyzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:45 pm

I must only peek in on forums that aren't hyper-moderated, because I never really noticed any super vigilance in the threads I still visit. UNTIL NOW. Just in the past few days, I've finally seen what everybody is talking about. Posts will be edited to remove two words. TWO WORDS. The notations will be, like, "Edited to remove "Sorry, but". Edited to add "I think"." Seriously??? Who has that much time?

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji Xiang on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:45 am

Yeah, TwoP Howard is one of my least favorite moderators. She's one of the new ones (new in the sense of after the NBC buyout and when they gave all the mods TwoP pre-fixes in their usernames). I checked out her blog once and I think she had said she didn't think it was appropriate to talk about the actors in the TV shows thread, but she was overruled on that fact. I mean, really? Because talking about how well somebody acted a scene would probably also fall into that area, and for something like the 2.5 Men crap happening a few years ago, the actor's personal life was pretty damn relevant to the show discussion.

But I basically just don't post anymore at TwoP, and just read instead.

Ji Xiang

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 am

Is Howard the Mad-Eye Moody of TWoP? "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!"

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves on Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:41 am

Is TWOP Howard the new name for Strega? She used to pull the same shit in the Angel forums and made them IMPOSSIBLE to have a discussion in. If it didn't happen on Angel she would end conversations and swoop in with off-topic and warning tsunamis. I get random off-topic bullshit, but she would flip out if people mentioned Buffy (the show) or how a character acted on Buffy as opposed to on Angel and it was just ridiculous. I cannot tell you how many really good discussions she shut down because she was so hardcore about her No Buffy Talk rule. It made no sense. You couldn't defend your point about how a character's actions were different/similar to other actions compared to how the character acted in the past because she would immediately shut down the conversation if it didn't happen on Angel. Well it happened and it was different behavior from the character but you couldn't talk about it. Fucking ridiculous. Angel forums were the first ones I gave up and Strega was the reason.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Looks like Glark and Wing Chun/Tara Ariano are starting up a new TV site: Previously.tv

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Is TWOP Howard the new name for Strega? She used to pull the same shit in the Angel forums and made them IMPOSSIBLE to have a discussion in.

no she's not. She used to be a poster himself actually. I'm annoyed for not remembering her previous name but she used to post a lot (still does but of course now she's a mod) in the anime section.

I think Strega shut down conversations pertaining to Buffy the show so quickly because she was paranoid about the shipping wars of Buffy/Angel/Spike invading the Angel section probably.

Is Howard the Mad-Eye Moody of TWoP? "CONSTANT VIGILANCE!".

hee! too funny.

Though in TWOP's case, the search function has a long history of being ridiculous. Remember when you couldn't search for words of four letters or fewer?.

Yes, but at least you could search for some words, sigh. Now you can't search for any at all.

I can't use search for shit on that site anymore. I have to go to google and enter a search string ending with site:televisionwithoutpity.com to get decent results.

It sucks. Glad to know I'm not totally incompetent though now, heh.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:49 pm

So the site got too big for them to control, they sold it, and now they're starting the exact same site* over from scratch under a different name?

*As far as I can tell from the description, at least!

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji Xiang on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:53 pm

I... would not mind that...

Well, assuming we have no FameTracker style explosions or crazy mods, etc etc.

And yeah, I use the google site: search function now too when I have to search something in TwoP. Glad it wasn't just me that couldn't search anymore.

Ji Xiang

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Wildog27 wrote:Looks like Glark and Wing Chun/Tara Ariano are starting up a new TV site: Previously.tv

Given that they never managed to monetize TWoP or Fametracker, I am going to be really interested to see how they plan to keep this new site going. Although I suppose there are very few of us left who remember how adamant they originally were about not having ads on TWoP or FT.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:09 pm

Hell, if this new site is just 1/10 less bitchy and condescending than TWoP, I'm in. That place has become very unpleasant.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:18 pm

I was hoping from the name of the new site that it would be about classic TV, or at least shows that have been off the air for 10 years or more. I'd welcome a site where I could gush about Lois and Clark, Due South, The A-Team, MASH, Starsky and Hutch, etc. But it sounds like same old, same old.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:35 pm

I just don't see how, if the site becomes popular, it won't fail to become a retread of TWoP. Once a site gets popular you need the mods to control the crazies, and then the mods get stringent, and the vicious cycle begins again.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm

Assuming there are forums. The new site could be structured completely differently.

Last edited by ActonBell on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 30 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 20 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum