Television Without Pity

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  RiverThames on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:44 pm

queenofdenile wrote:
But if you say that, you'll be met with a dozen, "Um, because this is 'Television Without Pity",

Wait, you can say "Um" at the beginning of posts without getting banned now?!

Maybe you can if it's explicitly that sentence. Since it's, like, the mission statement or something.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:47 pm

Ji Xiang wrote:I've seen more "Um"'s too, which I attributed to the new mods (at least, it seems like new mods, though I know they renamed a few too) and a less feverish reporting by the Troll Patrol. Though yes, I do miss that one. I mean, TwoP is bitchy about its rules (or was), but damn it, it was nice to read fully spelled out sentences!

I agree, there are times when TWoP drives me crazy but it is nice to go a board that forces people to at least capitalize and run their posts through a spell check every once in a while.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:51 pm

biakbiak wrote:I am pretty sure it was an issue of not being able to copyright MBTV because there was already something with that name so they decided to change it in case they ever tried to sell branded merchandise.

"TWOP Brand Laxative" doesn't have the ring to it that "Mighty Big TV Laxative" does.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:03 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:The discussion about what bird Sheldon was actually holding went on for way too long.
Bwah. I found the bird on Wikipedia in 10 seconds, had no idea it was contentious in other corners of the Internets.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:24 am

TiffanyNichelle wrote:The discussion about what bird Sheldon was actually holding went on for way too long.

That's one of my biggest pet peeves in most threads over there. They latch onto some minute detail and just beat it to death. Anyone attempting to discuss ANYTHING gets completely ignored, but any new "evidence" of whatever unimportant issue du jour spurs 15 more pages of discussion.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 am

Wow. This conversation has, like a pillow gently smothering the life out of a suffering loved one, killed any lingering desire I may have had to go check something out over there.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:19 pm

RiverThames wrote:Wow. This conversation has, like a pillow gently smothering the life out of a suffering loved one, killed any lingering desire I may have had to go check something out over there.

I'm glad that it's kept you from wasting your time with the forums over there. I believe that the decline started around the second season of American Idol, and just got worse from there.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:28 pm

I think it was the genuine ANGER over Barefoot Contessa reruns and her fondness for fruit crisps that made me finally realize just how insane TWoP had become. Just let Ina make her plum crisp if that's what she likes! Hee.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:49 pm

I especially love when they decide she should expand and cook Chinese or Mexican. I mean why not just look up recipes by people who cook Chinese and Mexican! She has made a mint off her formula and it seems to be continuing to work for a lot of people.

However, the righteous indignation of posters that she hasn't changed it up is weird! Especially, because a number of the same people complaining don't go out of their comfort zone (capers, the horror!)
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:56 am

I still check out TWoP for the forums, but it really bothers me whenever I do. I don't know why I keep going over there.

My favorite WTF moment came when people started complaining they wanted Rachael Ray to use a slow cooker.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:16 am

But she only has 30 minutes!

I feel the same as far it bugging me when I go over there. It's not individual posters, it's just the culture of the place that gets on my nerves. Like in the Grimm thread, they're trying to come up with cutesy names for the trailer. Why can't it just be called "the trailer" until someone organically comes up with a funny name that is specific to the show, maybe after the show does something funny/stupid?

The funniness and snark in your post shouldn't be coming from the trailer name, it should be coming from your post itself. But even though posters may be funny on other boards or in real life, something about the forum makes it an unfunny place, so they have to artificially create it.

I'm not explaining this well, but it's like the thing that happens over there where jokes get beaten into the ground. Stop trying so hard!

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 pm

I feel the same as far it bugging me when I go over there. It's not individual posters, it's just the culture of the place that gets on my nerves. Like in the Grimm thread, they're trying to come up with cutesy names for the trailer. Why can't it just be called "the trailer" until someone organically comes up with a funny name that is specific to the show, maybe after the show does something funny/stupid?

Oh yeah, the competitions to "call" the thread title, "shipper name", etc. is one of the more obnoxious page fillers as well. They're always painfully unfunny and yet always result in a bunch of "you owe me a new keyboard" responses.

It's actually embarrassing to read over there sometimes, I don't like being in the company of some of those posters.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:43 pm

It's funny, they're in that thread screaming over the bad cop work and how the stupid the fake German sounding names are for the monster while trying to figure out what to call the trailer? Let the show come up with the something or just let it happen naturally.

This weekend Food Network did a two hour live call in show about Thanksgiving with various Food Networks stars. I enjoyed it and made the mistake of going into the FN thread. The hatred is just ridiculous. Did you know that Melissa D'Arabian is the worst person in the world? And FN are trying to force her down our throat and Alton Brown was a fool to keep talking to this woman even though that's why she was on the show?
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:20 pm

I don't know why I keep going over there.

Well the sad truth is it's still superior to a lot of places on the internet if you want to talk about tv shows. It's got a lot of traffic, it has the grammar/spelling rules, the average poster is fairly literate and intelligent (if still annoying and crazy). Having said that I mostly use the forums as an informational tool to collect spoiler/media info, and to get a general temperature on a reality show events. I pretty much exclusively post in the Soap forums, and yeah when the soap fans are the sanest, least irritating ones on a given site, your site has problems.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:28 pm

The absolute rage and obsession with minutae over the Food Network at Twop just boggles me. I quit going there several years ago, and that was the main catalyst. I just couldn't stand reading the FN forums anymore. It's the freaking Food Network. It's just bad reality shows and the occasional show that actually shows some cooking. I watch FN all the time when I'm home because I like to have it on in the background, but I can't imagine hating any show on there enough to post about it. I suppose I could rage that no one actually cooks anymore on the Food Network.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Luthien, you've succintly expressed my reaction to the Food Network forums on TWOP. I can't imagine getting that invested over those shows. Sure, maybe on occasion something might set a person off and I get that. But there's an almost pathological tone to the commentary on those threads. From what people are saying here, it sounds like that's the case with many, if not most, of the various forums.

Plus I am in agreement that the biggest problem with TFN is that they've decided to move away from cooking shows during much of their prime time and weekend hours (which is when I can watch them).

It's not individual posters, it's just the culture of the place that gets on my nerves.

For me the whole place nurtures a tone of misplaced pretention.

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:26 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:This weekend Food Network did a two hour live call in show about Thanksgiving with various Food Networks stars. I enjoyed it and made the mistake of going into the FN thread. The hatred is just ridiculous. Did you know that Melissa D'Arabian is the worst person in the world? And FN are trying to force her down our throat and Alton Brown was a fool to keep talking to this woman even though that's why she was on the show?

I watched that too and liked it and knew not to even bother going to TWOP to see their reactions. I can only imagine how much more vitriol would have been spewed if Guy Fieri had actually been there as opposed to just phoning in? *shudder*

Last edited by maxell131313 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:00 pm

I know if I like something, TWoP will hate it. It never fails. In the beginning, when I was a naive little newcomer, I used to think, "Huh...maybe I'm not picking up on the awfulness of this show/episode", but now I know they just like to bitch. Some days I think it's funny, but most of the time it just frustrates me. Television shouldn't ruin your day.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Crowbridge wrote:I know if I like something, TWoP will hate it. It never fails.
I discovered this last night when I visited the thread for The Sing-Off last night. I love reading different perspectives of the show and performances, and since the show thread on this site is light on action, I figured I'd check in at TWoP. Apparently my enjoyment of the Dartmouth Aires is completely misguided and idiotic because they are merely good showmen but not particularly good singers, and there are intricate posts that dissect their performances to point this out. Shame on me for having fun being entertained!
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Just skimmed through 20 pages of TWoP tearing Cupcake Wars apart for being unrealistic, misleading, sexist, insulting, and....taking itself too seriously.

Oh, TWoP. I see that self-awareness thing is still an issue for you.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:24 pm

Television shouldn't ruin your day..

It shouldn't. But sadly I've been there more than once. Like, the finale of Battlestar Galactica bummed me out. But I think television ruining my day becomes a problem if the day actually turns into years and I start directing vitriol at people who a) liked the finale and b) just post the same thing over and over, for years.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:37 pm

Is it wrong that whenever I see a group of posters posting one after the other at the same time on TWoP, I start to wonder if they are sockpuppets? There are these two groups I see that always post together and always agree and now I wonder if they aren't just two people talking themselves. I'm just waiting to see which one gets tripped up.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:23 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:Is it wrong that whenever I see a group of posters posting one after the other at the same time on TWoP, I start to wonder if they are sockpuppets? There are these two groups I see that always post together and always agree and now I wonder if they aren't just two people talking themselves. I'm just waiting to see which one gets tripped up.

Depending on the context, your suspicion could be totally justified. It's not unheard of there, or at any other pop culture forum for that matter. Excepting this one, of course.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 pm

You're absolutely right, Tiffany and Eris. What a wondrous and sage point.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  mrinsouciance on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 pm

Eris Rising wrote:It's not unheard of there, or at any other pop culture forum for that matter. Excepting this one, of course.

As always, I completely agree with Eris!

mrinsouciance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top