Television Without Pity

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next

Go down

Television Without Pity - Page 15 Empty Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Snarker on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:26 pm

I was SO HAPPY to be able to reply, "IT WAS A WOMAN'S SONG FOR A HUNDRED YEARS BEFORE ERIC BURDON AND THE ANIMALS GOT HOLD OF IT."

That song makes a hell of a lot more sense with a woman singing it.

Anyhoodle, I gave up on the food threads because of the endless criticism from folks who most likely can't boil water themselves.

Snarker

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:36 pm

Here is something I'm getting tired of: When a show is on the air for say, eight or nine years (*coughTHEOFFICEcough*), and its "fans" complain about how the quality of the show isn't as good as it was in season two or three. Well, DUH! Of course it isn't, it's been on for nine friggin' years! How many sitcoms are able to maintain the same level of quality for nearly a decade? Not very many. Either stop whining, or stop watching. Very simple.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:10 pm

I actually started complaining about The Office but only very recently - I know I could stop watching but I thought they were not resorting to "love triangle drama" until this weeks episodes. I'm keeping watching with the hope that they have a deeper plan!

ETA: I realize, of course, that they have always used love triangles but I thought more of them then how they are using it this time!

Last edited by Matinee on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 pm

There's nothing wrong with thoughtful criticism about a decline in a show's quality. I do find it annoying when people say, "Oh, the show isn't as good as it used to be," without any followup, and think that they're such original geniuses for pinpointing the shark-jumping moment. Like, wow, you think The Simpsons hasn't been as good since season six? You are the FIRST person to have that opinion EVER.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:44 pm

queenofdenile wrote:There's nothing wrong with thoughtful criticism about a decline in a show's quality. I do find it annoying when people say, "Oh, the show isn't as good as it used to be," without any followup, and think that they're such original geniuses for pinpointing the shark-jumping moment. Like, wow, you think The Simpsons hasn't been as good since season six? You are the FIRST person to have that opinion EVER.

Or my favorite internet-hipsterism about a past-its-prime show: "Is that show still on?" Like you didn't know.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:35 pm

I never understood the phenomenon of watching shows you don't like until White Collar. On the one hand, the show is really not very good. It was good, for a few brief episodes a couple of seasons ago, but now it objectively sucks. On the other hand... Matt Bomer's face.

I've settled into a pattern where I watch it because of Matt Bomer's face (and, occasionally, naked torso) but I really don't care for it, and as a result I get a little crazy when I see people talking about what a good show it is and how much depth it has. Of course, I usually just close the tab and move on (i.e., seethe silently for a while and then yell at my fish) instead of peeing on someone's fannish fun, but it's really difficult. I know I should just stop watching and save myself the aggravation, but Matt Bomer's face. I can't.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:38 pm

I love the characters on White Collar, but I actually don't pay much attention to the cases in the episodes cuz they don't usually hold my interest. I can't stop watching though because Matt Bomer's face is unreal and magnetic.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:28 pm

My wife and I just marathoned all six seasons of Lost, and I kept thinking "Oh my God, I'm so happy that I wasn't watching this when it was on the air, since I was still hitting TWOP at the time, and I wouldn't have been able to discuss anything that was actually interesting about the show due to what I suspect was an overabundance of focus on the less-interesting romantic angles."
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Actually, it was more crazy-ass theories-- and I mean CRAZY-ASS. Like, in the earliest, earliest episodes, there were people talking about time travel and the broadcast was actually future-Shannon having traveled to the past, and Hurley was already on the island when the plane crashed because he was actually Claire's baby, having traveled in time with Shannon. All because Hurley helped Claire lie down in the first episode. I am not making any of this up. Then righteous anger when crazy theories didn't become canon.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:02 pm

I wouldn't have been able to discuss anything that was actually interesting about the show due to what I suspect was an overabundance of focus on the less-interesting romantic angles.

You are correct. Except that that they were complaining about how terrible the love triangle was and how Kate was terrible and Jack was even more terrible. (Yes, a male lead got more hate than a female lead. It was shocking.)
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 am

RiverThames wrote:Actually, it was more crazy-ass theories-- and I mean CRAZY-ASS. Like, in the earliest, earliest episodes, there were people talking about time travel and the broadcast was actually future-Shannon having traveled to the past, and Hurley was already on the island when the plane crashed because he was actually Claire's baby, having traveled in time with Shannon. All because Hurley helped Claire lie down in the first episode. I am not making any of this up. Then righteous anger when crazy theories didn't become canon.

The crazy-ass theories sound like fun. The fit-pitching at their not entering canon, not so much. Then again, this is the show that gave us the term "epileptic trees".
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:20 pm

I feel like that's a problem with a lot of shows on TWoP. People become attached to their theories/pairings/plotlines, and when the writers choose other directions, some people can't handle it. It automatically becomes a lesser show because this viewer KNOWS their direction would've been so, so superior. Which is also why I think the bitterness amps up the longer a show's on the air...more time to get attached to theories that don't pan out, more time to build them up, more time to feel like the writers were leading you on.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:30 pm

I'm sorry, swsa, but if Joss had just used MY idea for the season premiere of Buffy's Sixth Season, where Future Xander (played by Bruce Campbell) uses magic to travel back in time from a hellscape 2022 to save Buffy before she dies in order to prevent the apocalypse she wasn't there to stop, then EVERYTHING after that would have been much better. Including Sarah Michelle Gellar not quitting and the show going eleven seasons. Didn't you READ my 50,000 word thesis outline?
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:53 pm

It's like the Harmonians, only more so and in greater numbers.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:51 am

I mainly remember that people were weirdly obsessed with Rose and Bernard. Don't get me wrong, I had nothing against the characters, but were they more important to the show's overall arc than, say, Locke? According to some posters, OBVIOUSLY, YES.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 pm

A lot of times on TWoP -- I'm particularly thinking of Lost now, but I feel like it can apply to many shows -- they will take something that for me is "thing to be remarked on" and turn it into "thing to bitch about." Obviously, everyone's got their own opinions, etc. But I mean, I liked Rose and Bernard. And if Rose and Bernard were gone for a while, I might be like "Aw, I miss those guys." And if they showed up again I'd be like "Yay, Rose and Bernard! I missed them and I'm glad to see them." But...that doesn't automatically translate to "This show is crap, if they don't show Rose and Bernard more often I will boycott the show, Rose and Bernard are THE MOST IMPORTANT characters, all the other storylines are useless..." You know? I sometimes feel like if anyone has the slightest zephyr of a thought about a show over there, it has to instantly get jacked up to a militant stand about which they will hear no different.

I'm not even talking about "Whatever, I'm neutral on Rose and Bernard." You can miss a character and be glad to see them again without feeling like the entire structure of the show should be altered so that character has more screen time. It's just so scorched-earth-y all the time over there.

I don't know if something in the giant-message-board atmosphere causes that kind of reaction, or if the people who post there just tend toward that kind of thing. Either way, it gets tiring.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm more thinking about the TWOP Zebra Theory about how flashbacks ought to show Rose and Bernard getting together as college students in the 60s, facing racial tension while working as interns for Dharma. So when the show actually had a Rose/Bernard flashback that was nothing like that at all, they went postal.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:17 pm

Ha! I forgot about that. People were legitimately outraged. (I was just using R&B as stand-ins/a general example of a larger TWoP phenomenon.)
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Oh boy the Rose and Benard hissy fits. It felt like "how dare they show us R&B coming together as old people when we wanted to see them young and sexy!" Their love only counted if they got together when they were young and it was more taboo. *rme*
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:52 pm

I think that I heard about that nonsense over on one of the TWOP Sucks incarnations. I feel like every fansite should have a disclaimer in giant letters across the top reading "YOUR FANFIC IS NOT CANON".
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm

I thought it was hilarious, because the Lost writers were choosing to show a legimate love story that happened to be about a mixed race B/W couple and TWOP posters were indignant.

Sorry Lost TWOP posters, it is not the responsibility of the show writers to tackle the entire history of racial injustice.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Come to think of it, why didn't the writers go for the detailed Kate/Claire romantic endgame that I made up in my head?
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:19 pm

Eris Rising wrote:Come to think of it, why didn't the writers go for the detailed Kate/Claire romantic endgame that I made up in my head?

Because they hate you personally. And also they are hacks who shouldn't have jobs.
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:21 pm

I wouldn't say the writers were hacks, but they were clearly pushing a heteronormative agenda.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:25 pm

Well, whichever it was, they CLEARLY didn't read my forty-point plan on how to make their show infinitely better. It was right there, posted on TWOP, so I don't know what their damn excuse is.
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 30 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 22 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum