Television Without Pity

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

Television Without Pity - Page 22 Empty Re: Television Without Pity

Post  blixie on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Holy crap, I wondered how long Bravo would keep it going.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:36 pm

I'm a bit sad over this. Were it not for TWoP (The first, and only forum that I've ever been banned from, though under another name), I probably never would have run across Fametracker, meaning that I never would have ended up here at Snarkfest.

I quite enjoyed my time there back in the day. Some of the recaps were golden. Some of the discussions were thought-provoking, though due to the odd moderation, they could also be incredibly stilted, and to be honest, most of the threads became mind-numbing after a while. But idiocy and pretension aside, I retain a certain fondness for the place, and I'll be sad to see it go, my introduction to the insanity of popular culture discussion on the internet.

Although Jacob's tweet of "Look, just think of this as a conscious uncoupling. You'll be fine." may be one of the finest things he's ever written. He's not bad when limited to 140 characters or fewer.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Corvus on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:45 pm

My story: same as above. I was driven off quite some time back (I only really interacted in the Supernatural forums, so, you know...) but links have remained on my bookmarks bar. Boys Will Be Boys. The Quest. We wrote poetry, for (two) pity's sake.

<salutes Barnes>
Corvus
Corvus

Back to top Go down

Post  GoodbyeWithWords on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Social media was probably the biggest nail in the coffin, but the years of horrible moderation had to have precipitated the decline, especially once people had other options. Guess this means the mods are out of jobs! Shame about the wealth of TV discussion vanishing into the ether, though...

GoodbyeWithWords

Back to top Go down

Post  CindyMc on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:46 pm

naughty zoot, thank you for the kind words, and thank you for reading. I'm still slightly stunned by the news.

Eris, I missed that tweet by Jacob. I think I'm going to print it out and put it on my desk, because I'm a mess between the income loss and the fannish loss.

I didn't see this coming, but I'm not surprised it did, when I let myself think about it. When Sars, Wing, and Glark started out, no one did the long form recap. Now, much bigger outlets, that aren't only about TV do it, and do it well. Mostly, I'm just sad and worried about my coworkers (and myself).

CindyMc

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:53 pm

Yeah, I've been away from TWoP for such a long time now, but it still feels sad. Just end-of-an-era stuff. I don't think there's a true replacement out there for what it used to do/be, but that probably means there just isn't an audience for it. I feel like The AV Club could fill the void in a lot of ways if they would just moderate their comments. Their commentary/recaps are quite good, and a lot of the commenters are smart and funny, but there are so many a-holes and no way to get rid of them because they just don't do that.

Anyway, I'm sorry to all of the writers (including you, Cindy!) who are out of work, and sorry that it all went down this way in the first place.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:55 pm

naughty zoot wrote:I still read the recaps - well, SOME recaps. If I see Jacob's name I immediately find something else to do. But I love Cindy McLennan's Once Upon a Time recaps, and JoeR's American Horror Story second season recaps and Couch Baron's {b]Mad Men[/b] recaps. I know there are a lot of sites doing recaps now, but I haven't found one that has decent recaps of enough of the shows I watch.

Heeheehee.

I don't read the (new)* recaps anymore, mainly because I don't have cable and therefore don't have any shows I follow real time, but I still like the basement forums (Howard's presence notwithstanding).

*On a slow workday when I run out of forums to read, I will still dip back into old American Idol or Survivor recaps (or read them as I watch a new-to-me season years and years after the fact). I'll be sorry to see them all go and to lose all those years of forum chat. I've wasted far too much time on that site over the years (joined in '04, holy crap it's been 10 years!) and I have mixed feelings about having spent so much time on the 'net, but I did enjoy it.

Shack's AI recaps were my hands down favorite, but I also enjoyed a lot of Miss Alli's earlier work on Survivor and Amazing Race and Kim's Real World/Challenge recaps.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:59 pm

Although Jacob's tweet of "Look, just think of this as a conscious uncoupling. You'll be fine." may be one of the finest things he's ever written. He's not bad when limited to 140 characters or fewer.

And I still kinda don't get it, lol. Now I'm getting a wave of nostalgia for even Jacob.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Back when it was MightyBigTV, the site was a must read for me and then when it became TWoP back when digital television wasn't as big a business here as it is now and UK & Irish tv stations still aired US shows months after they aired stateside, I was spoiling myself left right and centre reading recaps for The West Wing and Smallville and Buffy and Angel and ER, as well as catching up on Jessica's X-Files recaps. (The day I found out that the SF Jessica was that recapper, I had a moment where I gasped loudly and exclaimed "But I've spoken to her!! On SF forums but it still counts!" And now I'm reading her books for crying out loud!!)

Some of the forums were a bit hardcore for me seeing as how I wasn't into doing that personality test for Luka Kovac and how that affected his relationship with Carol Hathaway (God be with the days) but it was always fun to find analysis of things I might have missed or didn't know about.

It was an interesting place to hang out for a long time. And if I hadn't found TWoP, I wouldn't have found Fametracker where I spent a load of time and I wouldn't have found Glarkware and had some interesting T-shirts to wear to work that nobody else had, and I wouldn't have found SF or any of my good friends here.

So even though I haven't posted there in a while, I'm sorry to see it go (I'm not good with endings) and I hope that all the staff - the official article seems to say there's only three people who will be affected but c'mon! There was more than that with all those recaps and moderators - find other employment and are able to use this as a way to bigger and better things.

Also, I discovered that I've been a member since April 2000. Holy crap, that's quite a while in one way and very little time in another. A lot has changed since then. (Did I mention I hate endings? Because I do. They're up there with my hatred of linear time).

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:09 pm

That's another thing I didn't think about--when I do visit TWoP these days, it's mostly as a historical document. Like, if I can't remember what happened in an episode from like ten years ago, I can check a recap.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:18 pm

Some things I'll miss about TWOP, a lot of things I won't. But I'll admit the announcement today surprised me because I guess I didn't think such a thing would actually happen. Perhaps NBCU execs tried to post something once and got banned because they split an infinitive and the moderator felt that was a sin against the gods of English or something? This is their revenge?

Oh well, something else will crop up and people will flock there. Just so long as this place doesn't vanish.

Last edited by maxell131313 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:19 pm

I feel like The AV Club could fill the void in a lot of ways if they would just moderate their comments.

For me that's perfect example of what I don't think works and what I'll miss about TWoP most, for me it's combination of the format of a *forum* and the heavy traffic. AV club has heavy traffic and reasonably intelligent participants, but fucking A I hate threaded comments, it's just not conducive to actual "conversation".

I met SO many people via those forums, great smart fun people, and the end of an ear a feeling is damn bittersweet. I'm crossing my fingers for the writers who won't have that income anymore. That's of course the worse fallout the lost jobs/income.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:21 pm

Yes, thats actually what I'm most concerned about. I haven't read a new TWOP recap in YEARS. But I still sometimes like to dip into the archives and read old recaps of Everwood, or Smallville, or Alias. Just so many others. My favorite recaps were always the ones where the recapper clearly enjoyed the show but also had no issue snarking on it. Potes' America's Next Top Model recaps were a favorite for that reason.

I also loved dipping into the crazy well of the soap threads.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  00redsvt on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:18 pm

So, the whole reason I ended up here is because I was tired of getting warnings for dumb crap over in the Soap section on TWoP. The only section I am active in is the DWtS forums. I do lurk in many, many places. I enjoy seeing people go into conniptions when they're opinions aren't shared. I enjoy certain mods having hissy fits over the most mundane things. I'm kind of sad. I am not sure where I will get my entertainment now. It's not enough to just watch the show. Ya know? Oh well. I guess some of these forums here will actually have to be put to use?

00redsvt

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:32 pm

I'm not surprised, but I will pay homage, because without MBTV (I'm sorry, TWOP just was weird when that happened), I wouldn't have gone to Fametracker, and without Fametracker, I wouldn't have ended up here AND MAKING AWESOME INTERNET FRIENDS!

So yeah. That's one thought. And Aaron's Sopranos recaps were always a joy to read.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:56 pm

I will really miss the Dawson's Creek recaps. I could probably still recite chunks from Wing's "True Love" recap. "The most misguided man-crying scene since Luke Skywalker learned the truth about his father" and "GET OVER YOURSELF, HEADY LAMARR".

And Jessica's glee over hating Dawson again in time for the series finale. *tear*
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:37 pm

Cutebutpsycho wrote:I'm not surprised, but I will pay homage, because without MBTV (I'm sorry, TWOP just was weird when that happened), I wouldn't have gone to Fametracker, and without Fametracker, I wouldn't have ended up here AND MAKING AWESOME INTERNET FRIENDS!
Same here!

I wasn't as active on the TWOP boards, but I used to read them and the recaps back when no one else was doing anything like that. There were a LOT of funny people who wrote for them for a while.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:41 pm

Wow. Like so many of you, I haven't been a regular visitor in ages, but still. It's like seeing your elementary school all boarded up and the playground filled with weeds.

Of course, my second thought was to wonder if, like Fametracker, the forums were going to go down in flames. Because that might be worth popping some popcorn.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Salieri on Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Well...crap.

I haven't posted at TWoP in forever, but it's responsible for getting me into the Buffy fandom and LJ (where I still linger, even after the cool kids have moved on). I'm feeling surprisingly sappy and nostalgic about this.

And I've actually really enjoyed making my way through the archives and reading years-old recaps of long-gone shows. I'm going to miss that, no joke. It's really going to be completely gone? Not just archived-with-no-new-entries? Like, I feel the need to go and print out all the X-Files recaps or something!
Salieri
Salieri

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:05 pm

This is surreal. I was never a big recap reader; the last time I followed recaps was for The Real World, back when it was MightyBigTV. I'm going to miss the forums, though, even though the mods went butt-crazy and started policing people for the slightest infractions. Are there any good sites out there that are comparable to TWoP?

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:48 pm

Ugh, this is making me feel so nostalgic. I was addicted to TWoP (may still have been MightyBigTV back then, actually) my junior year of college, when I was super depressed. There's no better way of just getting through than hanging out in the Buffy forums, applying Jungian analysis to Buffy's relationship with Spike, and then reading Omar's Smallville recaps for shits and giggles. I met a bunch of TWoPers the following summer in London - I think there are still a few of you guys hanging around here, actually.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  greensock on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:10 pm

I came out of hiding to say RIP Television Without Pity Forums.

I never adhered to your stance that Dan Fielding from Night Court was secretly a nice guy (Let's face it, he was a total player with no moral value. He would have slept with Christine only to drop her off. Conquest!) but I'll miss the continuous bashing in the Today Show thread, I always looked forward to it.

greensock

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:23 pm

For all the crap that often came with it, I'll also always have fond memories of TWoP. Getting into fights with people on the Buffy boards, getting into fights with people on the Angel boards, getting into fights with people on the Office boards, getting into fights with people on the Veronica Mars boards. Seriously though, MBTV was my first real internet community experience. I met so many people on those boards who are still in my (virtual) life today, including quite a few people on this forum. And I'm another one who would never have found Snarkfest if not for Fametracker and TwoP, so I'll always be thankful for that, too.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf on Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:36 pm

Add me to the list that is sad. I found the MBTV forums in my final year of highschool and found it so refreshing to be able to debate against people who thought like me. Got banned in the purge of '02 for reasons passing my understaning but rejoined and lurked ever since. Also, when people say "where were you on 9/11" I reply "madly clicking refresh on an internet forum to see if my friends were ok". Kindof lame, but that's my memory of that day.

Was there no way they could archive the recaps? Serious question, I have no idea how much something like that would cost. Will they still show up via the wayback machine?

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  Corellderaan on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:00 pm

Add me to the 'little bit sad about this' crew. Back in the day MBTV/TWOP was a godsend to me when Australia used to get shows six months, sometimes years after the US. I would devour the recaps/forums to find out what was happening - in fact I could probably blame them for enabling my spoilery tendencies. I'm going to miss secretly stalking the forums to find out what's happening in the latest ep of Once Upon a Time, Gossip Girl, Once and Again, Dawson's Creek, X-Files and so many more.

Corellderaan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 30 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum