Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Television Without Pity

+129
themis
festivus
punzy
dinahmoe
MaddyCat
Caramel Coffee
Gallifrey Girl
truecrystal
eventide82
Maria De Salle
BrightEyes
Muggsy
Corellderaan
rivki8699
Salieri
Lily Rose
CindyMc
GoodbyeWithWords
jstilwe
megageek
The Mighty Peanut
00redsvt
oxymoron
Mulva
Snarryfan
More Cowbell
Jude
naughty zoot
dionneshea
SarahJanet
winncienzo
Author By Night
greensock
Pumpkin Cake
violetq
Pop'n'Fresh
Luciano
VictorLaszlo
Binky
KaveDweller
QueenSix
UmaOprah
mialoubug
Fraoch
Coneycat
Raksha
draco vulgaris
Swarley
emrie
NoNotreally
Shadowlass
Jamie
VodouDoll
laddical
darthtall
Carrie Ann
Lancer
Sheli
Raised by wolves
Gillian
Matinee
Nerg
LadyGayle
Snarker
Esseilte
ActonBell
The Dude
MLIS
nazlan
Heather
Francie Nolan
Decca
Miss Moneypenny
Never Enough
flore
Red Wolf
Red Ghost
SelfAmused
Wildog27
bosoxgirl
Cutebutpsycho
whatthedeuce
Corvus
BreezyK
Siena
Tabby
jaraga
Putli Bai
xyzzy
Renny Sue
Unlucky Bear
gannetguts
PrincessCleo
Poubelle
Kiran
bbridges
snorf
pamchenko
Arabella
screamin
mo pie
MtOlivePickles
tothemax
jcpdiesel21
maxell131313
Luthien
Algae
swsa
Eris Rising
mayram
punkysdilemma
Ji Xiang
big chicken
biakbiak
blixie
roly
TiffanyNichelle
Melk
Instant Monkeys
blooey
Crowbridge
queenofdenile
mrinsouciance
ulkis
Jessica
skittlebox
Gilraen
RiverThames
Shalamar
133 posters

Page 23 of 30 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26 ... 30  Next

Go down

Television Without Pity - Page 23 Empty Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Muggsy Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:04 pm

I had been visiting very rarely lately, I found that so many of the recaps got bitter and the forums always seemed to be under siege by some faction of shippers or Deangirls vs Samgirls or something (which no one seemed to really discourage) that I just gave up. But it was where I discovered what it was like to be a fan of different shows especially when my friends in the real world were just not as obsessed. Gosh I remember even learning about actual grown up things like make up and jobs and sex in the off-topic forums.

And let's not forget the impact - it was one of the first places where the line between television creators and the watchers got messy as hell. Remember all the shit that went down with Sorkin and the muumuu chain smoker? Classic.

Finally, bets on when they turn on TWOPHoward? The dam has to break on that one.

Last edited by Muggsy on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Muggsy

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Muggsy wrote: Gosh I remember even learning about actual grown up things like make up and jobs and sex in the off-topic forums.

Back in the day on the Off-Topics, I gave some rather... detailed advice. In retrospect I probably should have realized that some of the people there were still teenagers. Hope it helped!

And let's not forget the impact - it was one of the first places where the line between television creators and the watchers got messy as hell. Remember all the shit that went down with Sorkin and the muumuu chain smoker? Classic.

I have to admit, I judged people who took that West Wing subplot too seriously.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:35 pm

I hope we get some more good posters out of this.

Last edited by The Dude on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 pm

I remember there was a girl who posted called Fox something who had this MASSIVE post count and seemed to be watching nearly everything which I found supremely impressive at the time because I was working a not that demanding job and reading the boards and posting and watching TV and my post count wasn't even close, and then she posted something about schoolwork and I thought holy crap, that's some great time management skills to fit school and homework in there as well.

It's just one of those things that has stuck with me over the years because TWoP was a huge part of my life at time as it was this great place to get information about shows whether it was a song or a reference or a quote. I dazzled people with my information then.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Well I hope we get some more good posters out of this.

I hope so, too.

This has made me sadly nostalgic for my days on the Lost (I got TMed for a nickname in a recap once! [I should go print that out while I still can]) and Band of Brothers and Firefly boards. I can't remember if it was Heather or Jessica who recapped that miniseries, but it is still one of the funniest things I have ever read, ever.

My favorite TWOP memory was during the banner ad kerfuffle; you could buy little side ads that were text-only as well. I had sprained my ankle around then and was griping that I couldn't go anywhere on campus. Someone on the Firefly boards bought me a get-well text ad that was on the website. I was (briefly) TWoP famous!
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:08 pm

QueenSix it was Fox1013. How I remember that I don't know.

So, can we mention this as a place for TWOP refugees? I don't know how much traffic is wanted vs the cost of running it.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:10 pm

Red Wolf wrote:QueenSix it was Fox1013. How I remember that I don't know..

Oh wow, yes it was! Now there's a name that brings back memories and I don't even know the poster. I just associate the name with what I was doing around 2000/2001. Ah, nostalgia.

Thanks, Red Wolf.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:26 pm

I'm so sad! I honestly cannot remember the last time I logged on to the forums. I don't even know if my account still exists. But I still check in on the basement forums several times a month when I'm bored, and I check the soap forums almost every day. Those soap threads can get super crazy, but they're the only soap forums I ever liked and participated in, and I will miss them. I have no idea where to go for soap discussions now. Every other place I've been has been way crazier than TWoP, has comment threads, or is network or show specific. What am I gonna dooooooo???

I never read the recaps as often as I read the forums, but the ones I read back in the day were always so much fun, and I like having them now that there's Netflix and I can binge watch shows I never got around to back when they were on. I had to refer to the Breaking Bad recaps so many times when I finally got around to watching that, because I wouldn't always pay super close attention and was afraid of missing out on little details.

It's the end of an era. I found TWoP when I was a high school kid looking for an internet place to talk about Alias. I probably wouldn't have ever watched half the shows I love if it weren't for TWoP. I need to go find the Little House on the Prairie thread and see if it's still ridiculous and great while I still have the chance.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:27 pm

I only ever hung out on the Star Trek forums. I tried doing Battlestar Galactica, but everyone - not just Jacob - seemed to be watching a completely different show than I was. After that, the sale happened and shit fell apart.

I only ever found out about SnarkFest because of the 2.0-to-3.0 meltdown being mentioned by RiverThames on his LJ - him being one of only four former TWoPpers I'd stayed friends with. Then I found out tothemax had migrated here, too, and that sealed the deal. And bit by bit, I've found out that most of the people here are TWoP survivors, though I don't know that I ever hung out in forums you guys frequented. I was Harrison Fjord over there.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 pm

QueenSix wrote:
Red Wolf wrote:QueenSix it was Fox1013. How I remember that I don't know..

Oh wow, yes it was! Now there's a name that brings back memories and I don't even know the poster. I just associate the name with what I was doing around 2000/2001. Ah, nostalgia.

Thanks, Red Wolf.

If it's the same person who has that name on LJ, I know her. She was a teenager back then, thus all the free time!
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:41 pm

All day little TWoP moments have been popping up in my head. Just remembered that I got into Franz Ferdinand because the Music Videos thread kept talking about them. Now I'm a huge fan and I met a bunch of cool people who follow them.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:58 pm

Popped back in to say I may have been ever so (and I do mean ever so) slightly hard on Jacob, at least based on that tweet and the fact that I somehow missed that he was the one doing The Blacklist recaps. It never occurred to me he would, as there is very little about the show that one can haul out the overthinking and pretension for.

CindyMc I'll see you in the OUAT forums here, I guess. Maybe we can talk about Lost some, too.

I think I came to TWOP from Fametracker and, honestly, how I found Fametracker is lost in the mists of time other than I seem to remember it was around the time we'd moved to San Diego and they both saved my sanity as I was home all day with a toddler and had yet to meet people. So late 1999? Is that possible? I'm really irked the content won't be available anymore. I just started watching Veronica Mars, people! I need those recaps. Honestly, I view them as historical documents. It seems so disrespectful to the recappers (mostly) and unfair to the rest of us.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm going back and reading "classic" recaps (I can't believe they won't be archived!!), and I admit it, I'm laughing my ass off. I joined TWOP in 2000 as a way to obsess abut Roswell (Michael and Maria forever, obv) and now I'm a grownup with a job and an apartment, and I'm going to miss that site a whole lot. My favorite recapper was Kim. I can't find it on the site, but for a while, when she was recapping The Real World, she would have this tangent in the middle of the recaps called The Most Awesome Thing I Saw on TV Last Week. It primarily consisted of Little House on the Prairie episodes and Lifetime movies, which are, of course, awesome.

My favorite recap of all time, though, is when Miss Alli decontructed Colin's breakdown on The Amazing Race, season 5. To refresh your memory, he screamed during a challenge: "My ox is broken. This is BULLSHIT!!". Enjoy while you can.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Maria De Salle Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:39 pm

VERY long time lurker, first time poster. I remember hearing about MBTV through Melissa Beck (one of the Real World New Orleans cast members) back in 2000 and it's hard to believe that I was actually around to see it metamorphosize into TWOP given that I usually always miss the boat when it comes to any kind of cultural phenomena. I will always be grateful to TWOP because it brought out my inner pop culture junkie and brought me to the gloriousness that was Fametracker and of course to you fine folks at Snarkfest. Definitely feels like the end of an era.

Maria De Salle

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:49 pm

I haven't posted there in years, but it still made me sad to hear that it was closing down. It seems WRONG not to at least keep an archive available. That's NBC/Universal for you, I guess.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:59 pm

BrightEyes wrote:
My favorite recap of all time, though, is when Miss Alli decontructed Colin's breakdown on The Amazing Race, season 5. To refresh your memory, he screamed during a challenge: "My ox is broken. This is BULLSHIT!!". Enjoy while you can.
OMG, I forgot that existed. It is SO good. I'm going to have to print that out. Thanks for the reminder!
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:06 am

I'm sadder it's not going to be archived/available on line. I got banninated within the past couple years for disagreeing when it was suggested that all women characters are whores, so I haven't participated in the forums recently.

It would be nice if we got an influx of new posters in the TV section, though.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:31 am

If you want to save recaps, you can paste the URL in here and it'll put everything on one page.

I joined during the second season of American Idol. That season is my lone fandom shame. But after I got banned, I hung out in the Lost boards during the first two seasons and then got bored. I know I heard about FT through someone on TWoP, and of course I ended up here, so I can say that at least something good came out of it?

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:32 am

I'm going back and reading "classic" recaps (I can't believe they won't be archived!!), and I admit it, I'm laughing my ass off. I joined TWOP in 2000 as a way to obsess abut Roswell (Michael and Maria forever, obv)

BrightEyes, do you remember the Roswell Survivor Game? And the musical thread? Oh man, good times.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:39 am

Gillian wrote:It's the end of an era.  I found TWoP when I was a high school kid looking for an internet place to talk about Alias.  I probably wouldn't have ever watched half the shows I love if it weren't for TWoP.  I need to go find the Little House on the Prairie thread and see if it's still ridiculous and great while I still have the chance.

I went over there just now and I saw this comment:

I guess it was just a matter of time once TWoP hired Doc Baker as its Doctor.

Just seems like there has to be something we can do. Doesn't anybody have a baby we can use to break a window and try to get away to safety?

hee

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:42 am

You know, most of those recaps will probably still be available on The Wayback Machine.  If you want to make sure your favorites are on there, you can tell it to save pages when they're still online.  Some of the newer recaps are probably already saved, but I'll be going through tonight and making sure Jessica's Dawson's Creek and X-Files recaps are saved, just in case.

Don't think the forums are going to be saved, though, so I guess it's time to go save "The Kara Thrace Memorial (?) List Of Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do Aboard The Battlestar Galactica" thread right now.

I'm surprisingly sad about this.  Like a lot of others, I haven't been there in years, but MBTV/TWoP was a big part of my internet life for a long time.  For the longest time, it really was the best place to have intelligent conversations about TV with so many other fans.  Then it all devolved into a den of seething misogyny and humorless venom, so I had to call it quits.  Even when that happened, there were still pockets of loveliness (like the Farscape forums).  

So long and thanks for all the fish, TWoP!

ETA:
ulkis wrote:
I'm going back and reading "classic" recaps (I can't believe they won't be archived!!), and I admit it, I'm laughing my ass off. I joined TWOP in 2000 as a way to obsess abut Roswell (Michael and Maria forever, obv)

BrightEyes, do you remember the Roswell Survivor Game? And the musical thread? Oh man, good times.

Oh man, the Roswell Survivor Game!  SO freaking funny, even after all these years!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:56 am

I will always remember the banner ad wars, the Queer as Folk forums, where bstewart lectured us all, and Tsaugotha the Toad God who was in love with Clay Aiken.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:07 am

I'm sad, even though I haven't been there in years. I remember discovering the forums and realising that other people liked to talk about and obsess over TV as much as I did, something that was severely lacking in my real life.

Looks like previously.tv, run by Glark and Wing Chun, is probably going to get a bump in traffic out of this. Ah, the circle of life.

I've been listening to their Extra Hot Great podcasts and they're pretty good, so I signed up to their forums. Hopefully they aren't moderated in the same manor as TWOP's were.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:09 am

BrightEyes wrote:My favorite recap of all time, though, is when Miss Alli decontructed Colin's breakdown on The Amazing Race, season 5. To refresh your memory, he screamed during a challenge: "My ox is broken. This is BULLSHIT!!". Enjoy while you can.
Definitely in my top 5. I still have a "My ox is broken" tshirt around here somewhere.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:42 am

Omar G's Smallville recaps were my absolute favorite thing on the internet back around 2002. I hope hose are on the Wayback Machine.

Like many others, it was through TwoP I found FT, and from FT that I found SF. It's sad to see an era end (though honestly, I haven't been there since... around the sale, maybe?) but I hope TwoP posters can find their own great board communities like we did hear after the FT boards shut down. Y'all are welcome here!
Please note that hooooooorrr is only used sarcastically.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 30 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 26 ... 30  Next