Television Without Pity

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Television Without Pity

Post  Putli Bai on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:59 pm

Corvus wrote:Show of hands: how many of us realized we didn't need to actually watch some shows and just read the recaps and that was just fine?
I'm doing that now with Nashville and the GFY recaps.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:15 pm

Anyone else having trouble getting into the forums or is it just me?
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:09 pm

I am so glad the site archives are up--I just spent an hour giggling at the recap of Riding the Bus With My Sister.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Mon May 05, 2014 3:15 pm

Jacob's landed on his feet: Gawker just hired him to run their new TV recap site.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan on Mon May 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Does he still natter on about grace and take plot developments extra super personally?
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon May 05, 2014 8:30 pm

VodouDoll wrote:Jacob's landed on his feet: Gawker just hired him to run their new TV recap site.

Good for him! The quality of his writing may vary wildly depending upon the subject, and he can be a bit difficult to deal with personally, but I maintain a certain fondness for him despite all that.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheli on Tue May 06, 2014 9:25 am

I sort of liked his intro post. "Let's have fun with our TV watching again!" Not sure how easily they'll be able to build a large audience and maintain that, but I hope they can.

Sheli

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 am

I really miss reading Cindy's Once Upon a Time recaps. I get a sad not knowing what she thinks about all these plot developments.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Tue May 06, 2014 11:53 am

The quality of his writing may vary wildly depending upon the subject, and he can be a bit difficult to deal with personally, but I maintain a certain fondness for him despite all that.

One good thing about the Gawker thing is that he will have a good editor who won't let him get away with 20 pages of Rose/Tenth Doctor shipping. Also, all gawker writers and editors are instructed to have a very free hand with the Kinja commenting system so even if Jacob wanted or tried to smack down or ban posters I doubt he would be allowed to.
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue May 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Snarryfan wrote:I really miss reading Cindy's Once Upon a Time recaps. I get a sad not knowing what she thinks about all these plot developments.
She posts here occasionally, so if you comment on OUAT in the television forum maybe she'll let you know.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Tue May 06, 2014 7:36 pm

Price Peterson is going to be writing for the Gawker TV thing too, so...I'm in.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  CindyMc on Mon May 19, 2014 1:56 am

Price is the best. I love him. I'm so glad he landed this Gawker gig. Jacob is a mind-altering substance. I love his writing in a way he'll never love mine, but it has to be taken with [*something* that explains the hallucinations].

Snarryfan wrote:I really miss reading Cindy's Once Upon a Time recaps. I get a sad not knowing what she thinks about all these plot developments.

I'm just going to sit here, in the corner, and pet Snarryfan's post, while I figure out how I'm going to pay for my eldest's college tuition. :S

CindyMc

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri May 30, 2014 11:51 am

I thought some of you might be interested in reading this tidbit from one of the mods over at twop:

Since it's closing, can those of us who had warning points have them removed for TWOP's closing? Pretty please?

Almost everyone who posts here regularly has at least one warning point. So to be fair and remove them all would take a REALLY long time, and with the current system, we can't just delete warnings. We have to give you a new warning that is worth -1 points.

So for logistical reasons, no. I can tell you that when we had the big upgrade two years ago, I asked if it would be possible to run a script that would remove all warnings given prior to 2010 or so and was told no. So spiritually, you are all absolved. Say ten Hail Marys and make a good Act of Contrition.

So for those of you who have wondered why you still have a warning from 2006 because you didn't use a comma correctly lol, that's probably why.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  CindyMc on Fri May 30, 2014 6:53 pm

Oh, poor TWop, Ulkis. Kim (Pembleton) speaks the truth. Warning removal is a manual process. What you have to do on IPboards is (if you're a mod) click the warn button on a member's post, then give them a negative 1 warning (and post text along the lines of "warning reversed").

I'm really sad, tonight. I wish NBC-Uni would keep the forum archives up in a read-only way. All that info just lost in the ether seems like such a waste.

CindyMc

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri May 30, 2014 7:57 pm

I'm sad too. I keep meaning to go to the X-Files forum -- where I posted, and basically lived, for like, A DECADE -- and try to save some stuff or reread some stuff. And it's just too overwhelming. There's too much. I could never save it all. So I've done nothing, and avoided even going there because I'm putting off thinking about it. And now it's going to be gone. I'm so happy they're keeping the recaps up, but the forums disappearing still really sucks. And I'd say there's just as much TV history contained there as in the recaps.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  CindyMc on Fri May 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Instant Monkeys, a lot of forum members have DLed stuff and posted links or scripts or whatever. It might be worth checking out the show thread of your choice, to see if someone somehow saved the PHed forum. Also, we'll always have the Wayback Machine.

CindyMc

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri May 30, 2014 10:41 pm

I think somebody would have mentioned it on the XF board if they'd done that? I am really happy about the existence of the Wayback Machine though. Gives a little peace of mind even if I never use it.

After I posted that, I decided to go in and try to save some stuff after all. Most especially, I want the XF2 spoiler thread. I basically set up a camp bed in there for a few months. ...And, of course, I got distracted and have been reading a bunch of the other threads. And now I just finally got to the spoiler thread (it's way back because it was locked as soon as the movie came out, in July 2008, because there weren't spoilers anymore) but I'm tired and haven't had dinner. Anyone know what TIME the forums are closing on May 31? :/

I did finally go and register at previously.tv. I thought about being Instant Monkeys over there, but I've been As An Amoeba at TWoP for many years (that is...more years than I've been here even) (I'm so old), and I wasn't ready to let it go, especially when I saw so many familiar names. So I guess I'll continue seeing mentions of the American Automobile Association and thinking someone's talking to me for a while longer.

ETA: And...you know what? I went poking around the main forums and saw the script that someone posted for downloading forums/threads. And...I'm now downloading some. So thanks for that, CindyMc! Didn't think I'd be installing Python on my computer tonight and learning how to run scripts, but, there you go.

There are currently 666 replies in this thread. That's weird.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:01 am

Well, it's gone. Funny, I know I should, but I don't want to delete my bookmark. Just in case.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:31 pm

I deleted my bookmark. I only read the forums, so I have no use for it anymore.

*sigh*

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:15 pm

For a television site that I still retained some fondness for despite the fact that it had run its course for me many years ago, and had irrevocably changed its very nature due to various departures, there is only one phrase that I can think of, one with some precedence in a case like this.:

Goodbye, Farewell, and Amen.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CindyMc on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:52 pm

It bugs me in some of the forums where people do the same thing over and over. In the Ringer forum, they keep calling the actor who plays the teacher "Logan" (not his name in Ringer!) because he was "Logan" in Veronica Mars (I think, I never watched VM). I guess I should be happy that they're not calling SMG's character Buffy! *head desk*

I'm guilty on both of these fronts. In my defense, um. Nothing. I not only called Jason Dohring's character "Logan,' I called both of SMG's characters "Buffy."

Yes. I AM the reason we can't have nice things.

CindyMc

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:59 pm

I've done it sometimes depending on the show. And yes if it's a show I really like or it's been on a long time, I get really annoyed if people do it too often, lol. If the show is in its second season it's time to call the characters by their names.

So how is everyone else feeling about Previously? I don't know if it's the threads I'm hanging out in or what but there seems to be a nastier tone to most of the posters than there used to be on TWoP. Like the bitter got turned up to 11.
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:25 pm

I've been over there since the beta, and the tone has definitely gotten a lot nastier post-TWoP influx (after the final round of that last week, I think there was another little spike in the nastiness). I assumed that it was worse over there, actually. In the forums I'm most active in, I've tried to stay vocal in the hopes of keeping others like me around, and preventing the insular echo chambers that, oh say, the soap forums immediately became.

So far, I'm still happy with the Arrow forum, where I'm most active. And actually, the Game of Thrones forums have stayed surprisingly balanced. Most of the other show forums I frequent are OK too. The nasty one is The Vampire Diaries, the previously mentioned soap forums, and sometimes the Buffy forum annoys me. I stay out of most reality show threads, which I know can get vicious.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  greensock on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:48 pm

I've been to Previously and it's okay but they need genre topics and show megathreads, I don't like the way it's being managed at all.
I also realized there's only one place worse than TWOP about moderation and that place is ToonZone. So many threads would get locked there for absolutely no reason.

greensock

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:00 pm

I've been over there since the beta, and the tone has definitely gotten a lot nastier post-TWoP influx (after the final round of that last week, I think there was another little spike in the nastiness). I assumed that it was worse over there, actually. In the forums I'm most active in, I've tried to stay vocal in the hopes of keeping others like me around, and preventing the insular echo chambers that, oh say, the soap forums immediately became.

I think the GH is forum is okay. There doesn't seem to be much group thought going on except for Sonny hate. I wasn't a fan of the many topic organization, but it's not that bad so far. :knocks on wood:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 30 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top