Upcoming Films

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Upcoming Films

Post  RiverThames on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:53 pm

I have to admit, I'm nervous about the new Ghostbusters. Not because of its female cast (I really love the work of 3/4 of the cast; I'm kind of meh on Melissa McCarthy), but because of the general state of comedy filmmaking today. There's a trend of not really writing a script, and letting the actors just improv their way through a scene-- which then creates flabby movies where the direction is uninspired-- and the movie trudges along instead of humming. (Every Frame A Painting has a great piece on the problem with comedy direction today here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag)

So I fear we'll get a lackluster movie that will give the naysayers all the ammunition to go, "See, a female-centered version won't work! Never again!" I REALLY hope I'm wrong about that, but Paul Feig's work so far doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:49 pm

I thought Bridesmaids was hilarious, as was The Heat so I'm not worried, I mean beyond the basic thing where I'd prefer original stuff to remakes/reboots, but I'm interested even if it "fails".

I could do without Wiig, but eh I can see how they needed to package her and McCarthy to even get a green light.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Oh God, I didn't know whether to put this here or in the Schadenfreude thread, but I don't actually feel that for the people involved (except EL James, who is horrible and bad and should feel bad). This Defamer post about how awful the 50 Shades of Grey filming experience was, and how much Jaime Dornan and Dakota Johnson seem to hate each other is just...beautiful to me. The gifs! So awkward. I can't stop looking at them.
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:28 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:Oh God, I didn't know whether to put this here or in the Schadenfreude thread, but I don't actually feel that for the people involved (except EL James, who is horrible and bad and should feel bad). This Defamer post about how awful the 50 Shades of Grey filming experience was, and how much Jaime Dornan and Dakota Johnson seem to hate each other is just...beautiful to me. The gifs! So awkward. I can't stop looking at them.

I am a bad person so I read that with glee. i want this shit to tank so hard that nobody even considers making movies of the other two books. Also, yeah, it's hard to look away from those gifs!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Haha, "It's meant to be instinctual." Duuude. I would think that's down to Jamie being a last minute replacement for Charlie and that they skipped over a chemistry test for him with Dakota, when Taylor Wood had made a really big deal out of how much *chemistry* Dakota/Charlie had.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:22 pm

I don't necessarily see two actors who hate each other as much as I see two actors who hate the stupid iPad gimmick and the fantastically stupid questions. And maybe the movie itself.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Maybe they don't hate each other but they certainly didn't bond much making this movie (which is ironic because bondage). There is no banter, no interplay, no hint of any inside jokes. The link to the "they hate each other article" has a great picture of Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan in a promo shot for The Fall and that one picture has more warmth and chemistry in it than any of the dozens of pictures of Jamie and Dakota together.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:32 pm

Yeah I don't think they hate each other, they have moments of shared looks and laughs in the Glamour video, and I think most of the awkward is arising from their discomfort with the film making experience and what a gigantic fucking bomb it might turn out to be.

I also thought of the shots of Jamie with Gillian, which is funny considering how she's BEEN there with the awkward costar games, see Duchovny The Year was 1998.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:30 pm

Double posting to post the trailer for It Follows, I've been waiting on this movie since Cannes last year, and am I huge fan of Maika Monroe and the director David Robert Mitchell (Myth of the American Sleepover). It's had raves for months, hopefully it lives up to the hype.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:39 pm

For the longest time, I was sure no power in the 'verse would get me to see Fifty Shades, but the idea of getting liquored up and watching it with some snarky friends almost sounds like fun.....
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:25 pm

blixie wrote:Yeah I don't think they hate each other, they have moments of shared looks and laughs in the Glamour video, and I think most of the awkward is arising from their discomfort with the film making experience and what a gigantic fucking bomb it might turn out to be.

It looks so awful. I mean, I LOATHED the book (or should I say, the fanfic) it came from, and I refuse to put a single dollar into James' pockets. So I'm getting pleasure out of the terrible things being said about it, and I'm hoping against hope it does bomb (though I suspect it won't, at least not in the first week anyway). If that makes me a bad person, then so be it, I guess.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:59 pm

Holy god, that might have been one of the more uncomfortable things I've watched in awhile. I agree with those that said that they don't hate each other, necessarily, but rather the interview/promotional tour/movie/sex scenes/book/ipad. They were so far beyond over it. It was uncomfortable to watch, like a teenage kid pushing a teacher's buttons to see if they can get detention or something. How disinterested and disgusted can we be in this interview before they cancel the film?

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:09 pm

I don't blame them for being uncomfortable with the iPad questions (taken from the Defamer comments).

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:36 am

I haven't seen the video (disclaimer), but the author seems shocked to discover that filming sex scenes - particularly borderline violent ones - isn't a super hot, fun time for all involved. She seems deliberately naive about the process. And publicity junkets are always horrible, no matter the film. Watching actors pretend to be best buddies when they're just tolerating each other is routine.

She cherry-picks comments without context to make it seem like they hate each other. Maybe they did, or maybe they're just joshing each other the way that colleagues in a weird and uncomfortable situation will do. I've seen Jamie Dornan in interview, and he has a very dour, Ulster sense of humour that doesn't really come through in print.

In no way am I defending E.L. James or her abomination of a book. I know the actors knew that they were getting into, but I feel bad for them nonetheless. I like Jamie as an actor and I hope this doesn't ruin his career.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:52 pm

blixie wrote:Yeah I don't think they hate each other, they have moments of shared looks and laughs in the Glamour video, and I think most of the awkward is arising from their discomfort with the film making experience and what a gigantic fucking bomb it might turn out to be.

I also thought of the shots of Jamie with Gillian, which is funny considering how she's BEEN there with the awkward costar games, see Duchovny The Year was 1998.

Heh, that was my first thought too, unsurprisingly. These guys are putting even 1998-era DD and GA to shame. I'm trying not to experience schadenfreude. I'm sure the film will do fine but man, I want it to bomb. And I actually like both Jamie and Dakota, so I hope they both emerge unscathed.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:27 pm

Tim Burton to direct live-action Dumbo remake for Disney. I suspect that the level of forced whimsy in this movie will be intolerable, and I say that as someone who enjoys Wes Anderson movies. One can only assume that Johnny Depp will be playing all three racist crow caricatures.
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:59 pm

I will burn this world to the ground. I mean JESUS CHRIST that is just horrid.

I can't even watch Dumbo because even thinking about "Baby Mine" (dammit) makes me cry.

I think I'd even be willing to give a live-action remake a shot with ANYBODY BUT TIM FUCKING BURTON directing it. (okay, not exactly anybody - I also would burn the world if McG or Brett Ratner were mentioned).
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:02 pm

So are they just making live action versions of all the films now???

I mean one one hand I guess it's cool . . . on the other it really kinda feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder on Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:49 pm

ulkis wrote:So are they just making live action versions of all the films now???

I mean one one hand I guess it's cool . . . on the other it really kinda feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel

I was fine with the live-action versions of the fairy tales. Those made sense to me. But DUMBO? Pretty much all of the characters in the movie are talking animals. It would seem that would be rather difficult to do in live-action.

Now I'm starting to think The Little Mermaid can't be far behind. Although if Disney had the guts to go with the original ending of the story THAT might be worth exploring.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:26 am

Agent Sculder wrote:
ulkis wrote:So are they just making live action versions of all the films now???

I was fine with the live-action versions of the fairy tales.  Those made sense to me.  But DUMBO?  Pretty much all of the characters in the movie are talking animals.  It would seem that would be rather difficult to do in live-action.  

Well, it depends how loosely you define "live action". Because frankly, it's going to be mostly animated, simply animated in a style that looks like live-action.
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri May 29, 2015 8:30 am

Henry Cavill Exits Stratton

A week before production begins and after doing what appears to be one hell of a fitness regime because he is seriously bulked up again, CAVILL has decided not to make this flick about a special ops guy who does special ops things. Despite my appreciation for his (hella) fine form, I am not overly invested in his career or in danger of becoming an UBER FAN (because I don't have the time for that these days though. God, I miss my teen years at times like this) but I'm not sorry he left this project because Simon West was directing and he's grand and all but he's not great. I mean, I enjoyed Con Air and The Expendables 2 was a bit of good craic but When A Stranger Calls was the most boring thing I've ever sat through, so I had no great hopes that this Stratton flick would be more than just a lot of explosions and furrowed brow on the part of CAVILL. Which I know is what a lot of people thought of Man of Steel but you'll have that.

Looking forward to The Man From UNCLE though. Guy Ritchie seems to be on form judging from the trailer, which is always fun to watch.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Fri May 29, 2015 6:25 pm

I went to a test screening of Man from UNCLE, and under "favorite scenes" one of my answers was just "Henry Cavill's face." Seriously, I had never really noticed him before, but put him in a three piece suit and dayum.

(The movie was pretty great too.)

Last edited by vwlphb on Fri May 29, 2015 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri May 29, 2015 6:31 pm

He does suit up well, but let's never forget the shirtless-on-fire oil rig scene in Man of Steel.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri May 29, 2015 7:31 pm

vwlphb wrote:I went to a test screening of Man from UNCLE, and under "favorite scenes" one of my answers was just "Henry Cavill's face." Seriously, I had never really noticed him before, but put him in a three piece suit and dayum.

(The movie was pretty great too.)

You were at a test screening?? Stupid lucky vwlphb! I mean, that's great!

let's never forget the shirtless-on-fire oil rig scene in Man of Steel.

laddical, sweetheart, trust me when I say that is NEVER forgotten.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Sun May 31, 2015 6:18 pm

QueenSix wrote:You were at a test screening?? Stupid lucky vwlphb! I mean, that's great!
One of the actually fun things about living in LA, they hand out invitations to test screenings outside movie theaters. For me it's the ideal way to see a movie - it's free, you're not spoiled by trailers, and if you loved or hated it you get to tell the studios what you thought. Not that they ever make a change, but it is cathartic. I remember for one movie (not this one) I wrote, "I feel dumber for having watched this movie."

I'm not allowed to say anything about the MFU movie, except that if it was actually released in theaters I would have been back the next day to see it again. Which kind of sucks, because I saw it almost a year ago, and they pushed the release date back to this August. But I have the classic show to keep me happy.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top