Upcoming Films

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Upcoming Films

Post  laddical on Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 pm

One of the actually fun things about living in LA, they hand out invitations to test screenings outside movie theaters.

I miss that. I got to see Deep Impact a few months early that way. Most of the effects work wasn't finished, so that last shot of Morgan Freeman standing in front of the totaled Capitol Building was a lot less impressive. But the one change in editing I clearly remember is that in the test cut, after Jon Favreau's astronaut gets knocked clear of the shuttle and is doomed to float away forever, they cut to a shot of him just twirling. It got a *massive* unintentional laugh. It was not in the final cut of the movie.

I also saw US Marshals early. No obvious changes were made from test to final, but I was glad I didn't have to pay for it. Wesley Snipes and RDJ are not Harrison Ford, separately or together.
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:56 pm

The Man from UNCLE extended ComicCon trailer.

This really looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:01 pm

QueenSix wrote:The Man from UNCLE extended ComicCon trailer.

This really looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

I'm all over it, but my regular movie-going pal is a BIG fan of the original series and is already hating.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:02 am

Not quite upcoming since it just debuted at TIFF, but it probably won't be in wide release for a while: Marc Abraham's I Saw the Light is getting mixed reviews but still looks interesting (with caveats.) Based on the four reviews I've seen it's looking like the performances are excellent (Tom Hiddleston and Elizabeth Olsen are apparently terrific, especially her) but the storytelling is old-fashioned and focuses more "behind the music," so it doesn't give much sense of Hank's place in country music or why he became so important in the genre and in American pop culture.

That's mostly being laid at the door of writer/director Abraham, for concentrating on personal follies instead of music. However, I've been wondering how anyone could possibly manage a task like that in two hours. Hank Williams III (who unfortunately sounds like a bit of an idiot) has championed the idea of Clint Eastwood as the director... which, coupled with his argument for casting 45-year-old Matthew McConaughey as the tragic young man who died before he was thirty, makes me suspect he doesn't know a hell of a lot about movies and has a very limited palette. (Fifteen years ago I would have been all over that suggestion, but McConaughey looks his age.) Regardless, Hank3 might turn out to be correct, at least about the writing, because that seems to be the weakness here. Although, in two hours, I'm not sure anyone could do a lot better.

I'm going to go see this movie (which, oddly, is said by two reviewers to catch fire in the musical performances despite the fact Hiddleston, like Joaquin Phoenix in Walk the Line, doesn't sound a whole lot like the singer he's playing. I'm fine with that, I would find it much more disconcerting if the original vocals were dubbed in) but I've realized that the film maker who could really do justice to this story is probably Ken Burns, in a sprawling documentary about American life and country music from, say, the Thirties to the Fifties. And dammit, now I want one!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:23 pm

I'm also doing TIFF, and saw The Danish Girl.  It is certainly Oscar-baity, but Eddie Redmayne and Alicia Vikander are both fantastic in it.  It got a standing ovation, and we actually made Tom Hooper, the director, tear up.  There are certainly things that were too on the nose, and I'm sure some people will criticize some of the things being said in it as not trans positive enough because some of it is jarring, but it is a period piece about being trans in the 1920s-1930s so some of the stuff is really appalling.  It really sucked me in and I did enjoy it a lot, even if it's not as deep or artsy as some of the more arthouse fare.  Then again, I loved The King's Speech (though he also directed Les Mis, which I really did not like).  I'm anticipating a lot of people will hate on it though just as it happened with The King's Speech.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:03 am

Last night a friend of mine linked me to the trailer for the upcoming remake of The Magnificent Seven. Watched it this morning, and now I am kind of excited about it. (No idea who plays the woman who gets Denzel's character involved, but man, I like that palomino she's riding in several scenes!) I thought the trailer contained a bit too much Chris Pratt but the movie itself looks like my kind of fun. Fingers crossed!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:23 pm

At Storks, I saw the trailer for The Lego Batman Movie and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Both look amazing.

I was concerned about the Lego Batman movie but the trailer is pretty great. "Batman works in Bruce Wayne's basement?" "No, Bruce Wayne lives in Batman's attic." It looks epically over the top "I'm the goddamn batman" style good times.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:38 am

I am so excited for Hidden Figures it's not even funny. (The book is pretty good too, but I hope it leads to more!)

Trailer: http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/hidden-figures

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 25 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 23, 24, 25

View previous topic View next topic Back to top