Audiobooks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Audiobooks

Post  emrie on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm

With an hour long commute and a new zeal for the gym, I've recently fallen into the awesome-ness that is audiobooks. Audible + iPhone makes it pretty darn easy these days. And while I'm happy to listen to any old tale, I especially love the books that I think are improved by the audio format. Here are a few of my faves:

Angela's Ashes - read aloud by Frank McCourt himself, and he won a Tony for it. It was...transformative. I wept a lot. Just hearing the words and the story and the accents and the songs in McCourt's own voice...I barely know how one would go about reaidng it as a regular book.
Bossypants - read by Tina Fey. 'Nough said.
Pillars of the Earth - some of the architecture was hard to grasp without visuals, but the author did a different accent/voice for every freakin character.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - same thing with the accents and the voices.

So...anyone else in love with Audible? I'm looking for more recommendations to use up my credits, and also to keep me entertained!

emrie

Back to top Go down

Re: Audiobooks

Post  rivki8699 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:39 pm

Do you like Terry Pratchett? Because his books on audiobooks are delightful. Do not start with Color of Magic.
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:23 pm

My dad is a huge fan of audiobooks, and a couple years ago he listened to the entire No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency books, which are read by Adjoa Andoh, and he RAVED about them. She has a beautiful voice, and she reads the books magnificently. They are lovely to read, but listening to her read them makes them 10x better somehow.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Fraoch on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:03 pm

I downloaded the unabridged Gone With the Wind from Audible--it's something like 56 hours. All read by ONE WOMAN. And amazingly, she does different accents and voices and sings all the parts where Scarlett and Melanie are singing, so it was actually kind of awesome.

Fraoch

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Amazon/Audible has 27 audiobooks for free. These are classic novels read by some well known names like Jim Dale (he read the HP audiobooks), David Hype Pierce, and Alfred Molina. You need to first buy the ebook, which is free, and then there is a link at the thank you page taking you to Audible.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 pm

On the note of free audio books, Books Should Be Free has compiled a lot of public domain audio books. I'm seeing the Oz books, as well as some of the Anne of Green Gables books, and lots of other classics.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:11 am

I occasionally listen to audiobooks in the car, and have become a fan in recent years. I stayed away for years because I thought I'd dislike hearing someone else's voice interpreting the story and characters, but sometimes it's fantastic. I tend to pick shorter books that I can listen to on one trip, so I've listened to some wonderful middle-grade and YA novels, and some great short adult novels. Neil Gaiman's reading of "Stardust" was lovely, as was his reading of "The Graveyard Book". His voice is definitely "Uncle Neil will now tell you a story". I loved the audio book version of "Because of Winn-Dixie" so much it made me hate the movie (it isn't that great a movie anyway, but after hearing the narrator's interpretation of some of the characters, she was much better than half the actors).

The Ark Angel Shakespeare audio plays are fantastic. I've listened to Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Love's Labour's Lost so far and they were all great. So many well-known actors pop up in them!

Most audio books I've listened to have been relatively light reads. The other day at the library, I saw the audio book version of "The Valley of Horses" by Jean Auel and it struck me: what do books with really descriptive sex scenes sound like on audio? Does the narrator just read it straight? Because the text in that book is hilarious in the florid descriptions of sex, and I would never be able to hear it read out loud without dying of embarassment.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:37 pm

I've taken to listening to audiobooks while I go for runs. I thought this would be boring, but I was desperate because I'm tired of listening to the same music on my iPod over and over again. Oddly enough, I'm totally loving it. I'm giving Game of Thrones a shot this way. I didn't want to watch the show until I read at least the first book, but I just couldn't seem to make myself get through the book. I've gotten much farther in the audiobook since I'm a captive audience for an hour a few times a week. The damn thing is almost thirty discs long, so I should be done with it, oh, sometime next year. I'm glad I tried it, though. I feel like I'll get through more books this way now.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:51 pm

I've never been into audiobooks before, but I downloaded a bunch of free classics from Amazon, and I agree, they're a great way to kill time while working out. The weather has all of a sudden decided to become fall today, so I'm listening to Dracula.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Thanks for the links to free audiobooks! I get most of mine as downloads through my public library system.

I listen to audiobooks either at the gym or when I wake up in the middle of the night and can't sleep.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:46 am

I never feel quite right saying I "read a book" after listening to it on audible.
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:01 pm

I listen to crime and mysteries, mostly. I listened to Gone Girl which was really well narrated by Julia Whelan (who, if you ever want to listen to audiobooks based on who reads them, is gold class) and Kirby Heyborne and devoured Gillian Flynn's other two on Audible the same week.

Classics or epic sagas are good when travelling. I got through all of Anna Karenina unabridged on a Geneva - Budapest train journey (incl. 6 hour layover in Munich).

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon May 18, 2015 1:32 am

AudioSync has started their annual two months of free audio giveaways.

I missed last week which was Beautiful Creatures and Rebecca but this week's free audiobooks are Terry Pratchett's Dodger and Dickens' Great Expectations.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Wed May 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Rhilin wrote:On the note of free audio books, Books Should Be Free has compiled a lot of public domain audio books. I'm seeing the Oz books, as well as some of the Anne of Green Gables books, and lots of other classics.

libravox.org is a good source for public domain audio books too

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum