How I Met Your Mother

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How I Met Your Mother

Post  Jasmine on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:23 am

biakbiak wrote:
I don't know a single straight guy who would have that conversation with his friend. Not a one.

While I agree, I oddly didn't have any problem with the notion that Ted/Barney would do that because 1. they are cartoonish 2. they have no other female friends to have that discussion with and 3. Marshall being this close to jumping ship cracked me up.

Totally agree, especially since I totally know many straight men who would/have had that conversation with a female friend, and Ted is so the girl in that friendship.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:03 am

No. No no no no. The writers may as well admit they've run out of ideas for both Barney and Robin and think this is their only option. *sigh*
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:01 am

You know, one of my favorite things about early HIMYM was that it portrayed characters who had different philosophies about life and relationships. Robin didn't want the same things from life as Ted did, and she wasn't presented as being "wrong" or "immature" for wanting to focus on her career.

Now it seems like the show is sending us a message that you can't be mature or a real grown-up unless you do the traditional family with the traditional marriage and kids setup, and all the stuff before that is just play-acting at being a grownup. Marriage and kids = maturity and fulfillment. Anything less is stupid.

It may be a little early to be making that assessment, but I don't see this Robin being pregnant scenario as going anywhere good. False positive test result? Then it's a stupid cliffhanger for the sake of a stupid cliffhanger. Actual positive test result? Months of speculation over whether Kevin or Barney is the father and Jesus Christ does ANYONE CARE?!
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:02 pm

I hope Robin just has the stomach flu. I want that future for her that Ted says she had where she traveled the world. Why can't Robin's story arc this season be about how she became that Robin?

The writers are clearly stalling for next season, which at this point in time I hope is the last.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:28 pm

This show. UGH. I saw the Robin's pregnant coming about a split second before it happened and I was horrified. Because this is a sitcom. There's no way they're going to tackle abortion. Knocked Up was a movie about unwanted pregnancy and they couldn't say the word. So there is no way a sitcom is going to go there. So that's not the point of this story. Miscarriage? I hope not. That's just sad. And again, sitcom. I hate this show so much right now. Which is a shame because until that last moment I was loving this episode.

"Who ya gonna call?!"

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:57 pm

I think the point of the story is going to be that people who say they don't want marriage and kids are really just not ready for it, and going down the marriage-and-kids route is the only true way for long-term happiness.

Which, BARF.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  NewYorkStranger on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:13 pm

I think I let out an audible UGH at the end of this episode.

It's too bad, because I thought the bro-parenting storyline was funny, and I loved Marshall's five options for the house (Year round haunted house! Chimp sanctuary!)
NewYorkStranger

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:26 pm

I don't see Robin wanting to travel the world being incompatible with having kids. Plenty of people live abroad and have kids with them and move a lot - and not just in the military. Robin could be a European correspondent based out of London or Berlin or Tokyo something and that would give her access to all the places she wants to go and she'd be able to still have a home and family. Maybe she didn't want kids before - I told everyone in college that I wasn't going to have kids - I hated them, I couldn't handle them, wasn't interested in the least. I now have two daughters I can't imagine life without - and if I got a chance to live and work in Germany, I'd jump at it and bring the kids along.

Last edited by laddical on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:32 pm

I loved everything up until the last line. James! We finally meet Tom! Destroying the house with sledgehammers! Waiting until their kids turn 18 and then destroying the house with sledgehammers as a family! Bro-parenting!

I think the point of the story is going to be that people who say they don't want marriage and kids are really just not ready for it, and going down the marriage-and-kids route is the only true way for long-term happiness.

And that's what angered me the most last night. Really? Robin and Barney can't find fulfillment without the marriage and kids? They can't just continue being awesome singletons and find happiness through their friendships and jobs and relationships? Gross, gross, gross.
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:36 pm

The AVclub review pointed out how, in the second season finale (when Ted and Robin broke up), he said in five years he wanted to be married and with his kids, and she wanted to be traveling the world... and here we are, five years later, and neither of them are really doing that. Ted almost married, of course, and Robin did travel a little (Argentina and Tokyo, if I recall), but neither of them is really living out that plan.

Of course, back then, SagetTed implied that Robin did go on to do all those things. Of course, she still can, like laddical said. (Though SagetTed has also implied that Robin didn't have kids, but she did go on to be the AwesomeCoolAunt to his kids.)
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:39 pm

My problem is that this is a show that had Robin saying, three seasons ago, that there were different ways of being in love. I thought that was a sign that Robin and Barney's eventual relationship would be a different flavor than the Marshall/Lily or Ted/Your Mother relationship. But nope, it's just going to be marriage & kids redux, because that's all these writers know how to write. Except Robin/Barney have somehow become much LESS fun than Marshall/Lily.

I'd also like to see one damn female character on one damn show to not want children and STICK TO THAT, and maybe it's not fair to put that expectation all on Robin, but rational or not, it pisses me off.

Really? Robin and Barney can't find fulfillment without the marriage and kids? They can't just continue being awesome singletons and find happiness through their friendships and jobs and relationships?

And Robin finally has her dream job, right? But we can't have storylines about her actually enjoying her career. If Robin isn't a loser in her job, she's a loser in her relationships, who somehow describes herself as a "mess" even though she finally has the job she's always wanted.

Memo to writers: characters can have insecurities and struggles without being self-defeating losers. Really. I promise.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:00 pm

I'd also like to see one damn female character on one damn show to not want children and STICK TO THAT, and maybe it's not fair to put that expectation all on Robin, but rational or not, it pisses me off.

Exactly. It was one of the things that I found refreshing about Robin. And yes of course people change their minds about that sort of thing, but there are many people, myself included, who do not so it would be nice if that ever happened on television! And not because of some tragic backstory or inability to find a person to love or conceive. Just because they decided that those things were not for them and having no angst about that decision.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Swarley wrote:This show. UGH. I saw the Robin's pregnant coming about a split second before it happened and I was horrified. Because this is a sitcom. There's no way they're going to tackle abortion. Knocked Up was a movie about unwanted pregnancy and they couldn't say the word. So there is no way a sitcom is going to go there. So that's not the point of this story. Miscarriage? I hope not. That's just sad. And again, sitcom. I hate this show so much right now. Which is a shame because until that last moment I was loving this episode.

In the past sitcoms have definitely tackled issues like abortion and miscarriage and I don't doubt that sitcoms could do so today. Thirty years ago Maude had a whole episode about the main character getting an abortion. But the thing here is that I'm not sure I believe this show will. I think it should and I think it could, based on the serious tone they take on in many episodes, but I don't know if they're going to, especially considering how they've backtracked so much with Robin. The writers can write her as talking about a different lifestyle all they want, but no one seems to know how to write it happening.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:28 pm

I don't think the show is necessarily heading toward "marriage and babies for everyone! Yay!" route. Robin wasn't exactly thrilled, and I think based on where they've gone before there's definitely the possibility of the show tackling an abortion or miscarriage; it hasn't shied away from genuine emotion in the past. I mean, I'm not excited about the probable OMG WHOSE BABY thing, but I think they're really exploring the "Robin not wanting kids" angle, and I don't think it will end with her having a baby.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:37 pm

I can maybe see a miscarriage happening, but not an abortion. Even if these writers would go there, I don't think CBS would.

I hope you're right, but I'm not optimistic. They've backtracked on Robin so much already from a woman whose main goal was to travel the world, to someone who cries under her desk at work when she's unhappy about boy stuff, and is willing to be with a guy she doesn't love because she's just that insecure. I would not be surprised if they decided that BABIES! was the solution to her problem.

But I've had a bad, bad feeling about Robin's storyline since the season 5 finale, when Ted praised her decision to give up a job for love (of friggin DON, of all people) as a sign of maturity and growth and the show seemed to agree with him on that point.

Last edited by queenofdenile on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:48 pm

but not an abortion. Even if these writers would go there, I don't think CBS would.

Seriously. I am surprised CBS hasn't greenlighted a spin-off where we find out that Maude's aborted fetus was implanted in a crazy doctor's wife.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Isn't it strange we can easily see CBS having their characters make plenty of morally-questionable choices (of not downright despicable) in terms of, say, cheating on their partners or tricking people into sex, but an abortion would be beyond the pale?
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Spoiler that came out a few weeks ago (not the one that was previously posted):

Spoiler:
Apparently, there is an upcoming episode where Robin flashfowards talking to her children much like the Ted/children format. And there are two of them and they a blonde son and a brunette daughter. I mean it could be a fantasy but probably not! This will apparently be the next episode that airs. The CBS synopsis is "Symphony of Illumination" — When Robin receives bad news, she decides to lie about it to the gang. Meanwhile, Marshall hangs Christmas decorations on the house in the ‘burbs with help from his neighbor. So maybe it is a miscarriage/false positive.

biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:09 pm

RiverThames wrote:Isn't it strange we can easily see CBS having their characters make plenty of morally-questionable choices (of not downright despicable) in terms of, say, cheating on their partners or tricking people into sex, but an abortion would be beyond the pale?

Strange isn't the word...but yes.

I did briefly consider the abortion outcome and then I realized...it's CBS.

I enjoyed the episode a lot up to the revelation. They haven't used Robin for anything beyond an object this season, really, so I don't find this sequence of events to be particularly surprising. If I'd watch the entire series (I've only really seen it on/off up until last season) I might be more outraged about this. I do remember that episode where she kept that baby's sock, though...
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah, I didn't wasn't saying I don't think the show would do it or the writers. I just meant it's a show in CBS. In primetime. It's not HBO. I don't think the network would allow it in a million years.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Heather on Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:59 pm

I think them making Robin pregnant doesn't necessarily mean she's HAPPY about it. Or that she's going to have it. I agree that it's a bit of a hackneyed plot device, but I'm willing to see where they go with it. I am more worried they're going to go down some route where Barney doesn't let on that he's happy about it so she thinks he's not ready and has an abortion, or lies that it's Kevin's, or whatever. But we shall see. I am more concerned with how shitty Cobie Smulders' hair is looking. They need to fix that.

Heather

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:25 am

Heather wrote:I am more concerned with how shitty Cobie Smulders' hair is looking. They need to fix that.

Dude, right? I also remain Concerned about the continued sensible slacks and blouses - she is morphing into the Lesbian Robin doppleganger right before our eyes, and has been for the whole season. What the hell.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:24 am

The bad hair is apparently because she was filming The Avengers at the same time. But true, not been looking too good. Her suit in last night's episode was also all kinds of ugly.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:32 am

Yes! Those red pants look like something McHammer rejected in the 80s. I can't touch the hair.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Huh. Not sure what to make of that.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 18  Next