How I Met Your Mother

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: How I Met Your Mother

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:05 pm

The Christmas lights set to AC/DC's "Highway to Hell" at the end were fantastic. Everything else ranged from okay (Robin's storyline, which was at least an unexpected direction to take and featured a good performance by Cobie Smulders) to bad (everything involving Marshall at the house in the suburbs).

Last edited by jcpdiesel21 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:23 pm

My favorite part was Robin telling everyone she was upset because she was too tall for the Canadian Olympic pole vaulting team and everyone else reacting exactly the way she predicted.

I'm glad it's confirmed that Robin does get out of her funk and achieves all the things she dreamed of. And while I'm not a fan of Barney/Robin, I do think it was mean to dangle the carrot of them having children together and then take it away.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:25 pm

queenofdenile wrote:Huh. Not sure what to make of that.

If nothing else, you have to admit, it didn't go like you predicted.

RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:24 am

Never doubting this show again.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41 am

Plus: "You can't fire me, bitch, because I'm union!" Loved that line.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:25 am

I'm glad it's confirmed that Robin does get out of her funk and achieves all the things she dreamed of.

I'm glad about that too, but I'm still uncertain about the story because I'm still not sure why Robin's in such a funk in the first place. I don't think this funk of hers has been earned. Where did it come from? Why did she get so depressed?

At the same time, I won't deny that I got the good kind of chills when we saw the kids were just imaginary and they faded from the couch. And while Cobie's hair is unfortunate, she's definitely bringing it in the acting department.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:39 am

queenofdenile wrote: I don't think this funk of hers has been earned. Where did it come from? Why did she get so depressed?

I think it comes from the fundamental difference between "not wanting something" and "being told you can never have that thing". I didn't have trouble buying it at all.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 am

I'm talking about her funk that's been in place since the beginning of the season. The funk that would lead her to cry under her desk and drink because Barney was dating her co-worker, to describe herself as a total mess, and to stay with a man she doesn't love simply to boost her self-esteem. Where did THAT Robin come from? Other than the Land of Plot Contrivances to Keep the Endgame Couple Apart for A Little While Longer, I mean.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:57 am

Ah, yes. Got me. But, hey, she's gonna be a bullfighter!

Edited to add- It may tie somewhat into the idea Victoria planted into Ted's mind early in the season... that fundamentally the current Ted/Robin/Barney dynamic, as it is, is toxic and damaging to them. Her funk may be part of how she's subconsciously processing that.

In other news: Seasons 1-6 are streamable on Netflix! I'm surprised that I forgot about Ted's kids talking back more in the first season.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:07 am

Never doubting this show again.

It made me think there wasn't a woman on the writing staff or that any of the writers have ever met a person who had a missed period/unplanned pregnancy. I just can't imagine a 30 plus woman not even getting a home pregnancy test which are extremely accurate nowadays. Or why not just use "I am late, I am never late" rather than stating "I am pregnant," it was such a cheap fakeout that only existed for a cliffhanger for Thanksgiving episode. Not to mention she and Kevin have been dating for months and at least he has told her that he is in love with her and they haven't had sex? Or we going to find out why they have waited for so long? I am not saying you can't date for months/fall in love without having sex but that doesn't seem in character for Robin at all.

Also, Ted saw Barney spreading flowers on Robin's bed shortly after they talked about the hurricane episode, is he supposed to have forgotten that?

I think it comes from the fundamental difference between "not wanting something" and "being told you can never have that thing".

She seemed to have been in a funk for months long before the infertility thing. Not to mention how they treated the fact that despite being perfectly healthy with crazy regular periods some "tests" could indicate she was infertile for life. And her talk with Lily about "the door is closed" annoyed me because most woman I know who want children think about it in terms of motherhood, not just the biological act of getting pregnant.

Also, I realize this is crazy in the minority for fans of this show but I would love for there to be some focus on Ted! So much this season his storylines have seemed the afterthought/boring and it feels like the writers are just focusing on the other characters because they know they need to stall because they don't know what to do with him and don't want to bring on the mother too soon.

This show can do serious well, but I just thought this whole thing was cheap and didn't earn anything and quite frankly I didn't care. Heck, I was busy so the tv stayed on for the next show of 2 Broke Girls (which is not good) and I was more touched by one of the characters saying goodbye to a horse than I felt for Robin when her kids weren't real.

Though the end at least reminded me how much more I loved Ted and Robin than Robin/Barney.

Also, Robin is 31-32? When is this crazy amazing life that he is telling his kids about going to start happening because that is a lot to get into at most 20 years. Especially because all Ted apparently does in the same amount of time is get a woman pregnant twice.

By the way I don't watch Survivor but the commercial for it right before the show came back made me think it was a preview of Ted in the jungle as I was FFwrding through the commercials.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:44 am

In other news: Seasons 1-6 are streamable on Netflix! I'm surprised that I forgot about Ted's kids talking back more in the first season..

That's good news! I haven't seen any of season 6 yet and I'd love to go back to the first two or three seasons. Why does Netflix never tell me these things, I always have to hear about them somewhere else!

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:28 pm

queenofdenile wrote:I'm talking about her funk that's been in place since the beginning of the season. The funk that would lead her to cry under her desk and drink because Barney was dating her co-worker, to describe herself as a total mess, and to stay with a man she doesn't love simply to boost her self-esteem. Where did THAT Robin come from? Other than the Land of Plot Contrivances to Keep the Endgame Couple Apart for A Little While Longer, I mean.

I buy it as mild depression, and would be totally thrilled if the show were to actually address the mental illness of depression as the culmination of this storyline. The behavior I see in Robin is definitely pushed by SitCom Conventions, but it also reminded me of myself a few years before I was diagnosed, back when I was convinced that I just needed the right job or maybe a few days off to myself or *something* to snap me out of it. Robin's "funk" could just be the early symptoms as viewed through the sitcom filter. I'm not doing an armchair diagnosis on her, and I certainly don't have enough faith in Thomas and Bays anymore to think they've thought this hard about it, but if they were to go that route and give us a rare glimpse at clinical depression where it's not just some joke about some overmedicated soccer mom being blissed out on Prozac? This Zoloft-popping watcher would be thrilled. They've got a foundation in place for it, and it's about the only payoff I can think of where Robin's "funk" could actually be something more than the writers treading water.

Or it could be simpler than that. Five years ago, she told Ted that in five years she wanted to have done all these amazing things and she hasn't done any of it. She's taken safe paths, made easy choices - she's failed to challenge herself and has made herself comfortable having drinks at McLaren's four or five nights a week with people who are great friends but certainly aren't going to be pointing her in the direction of cliffs she should be diving off of or bulls she should be fighting. She's in a great space that a lot of people would envy, but it's not where she wanted to be. That disparity alone, I think, would stick in the craw of someone like Robin. It may not be clinical depression, but it could be something she's been thinking about and obsessing over to the point where she's almost convinced herself that she *is* a mess because otherwise why isn't she off doing all that stuff she talked about? I think that's what's actually happening and what the writers are intending. The problem is that there's not really any solution to that other than shipping Robin off on a world tour and dropping Cobie from the regular cast, which would be a very bad choice, I think.

Last edited by laddical on Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:49 pm

laddical wrote:I buy it as mild depression, and would be totally thrilled if the show were to actually address the mental illness of depression as the culmination of this storyline.
Agreed, but of course this is the show that had Robin date her therapist and mined it for jokes about mommy issues. Subtlety hasn't been seen 'round here in years.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Also, Ted saw Barney spreading flowers on Robin's bed shortly after they talked about the hurricane episode, is he supposed to have forgotten that?

Wasn't Ted really, really drunk when he saw that? I'm sure they'll play it as Ted being so drunk that he didn't remember until later.

I was glad about the pregnancy fake-out. Because I did not want Robin to be pregnant and I do not want her with Barney. And I'm with biakbiak on the ending. I like Robin and Ted.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 pm

laddical, I very much want to believe that the story is going in the way you've outlined here. I really, really want to. And maybe it is. I don't have much faith in Bays/Thomas either, but I have some, and maybe they're going in that direction. We've now had two episodes this season that have been framed by Robin's perspective and I definitely think they're going SOMEwhere with her - I just doubt that it will have a satisfying conclusion. But, who knows?

queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:04 am

biakbiak wrote:

It made me think there wasn't a woman on the writing staff or that any of the writers have ever met a person who had a missed period/unplanned pregnancy. I just can't imagine a 30 plus woman not even getting a home pregnancy test which are extremely accurate nowadays.

I was surprisingly indifferent on the episode, but this was so jarring to me. I maybe buy Robin being in enough of a tailspin from the Barney/Kevin situation to convince herself she's pregnant after only being a week late, but I can't believe no pregnancy test. And then telling the dad, famously uninterested in domestic bliss, presumably including kids, when you haven't even taken that small step to confirm? Mere weeks after getting into the super awkward situation of letting him dump his serious girlfriend for you and then not reciprocating? I would be reluctant to open that can of worms even when I WAS sure, let alone when it was just a hunch.

I really agree that the only way this season makes sense from Robin's point of view is if she's got something deeper going on than a relationship slump.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi on Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:31 am

Ok I have just seen this episode and I don't understand this article from the Washington Post - You Tell Us: Did How I Met Your Mother's Robin Twist Go Too Far? I will probably see the episode but why do such a weird twist?
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't know if last Monday's episode let no impression whatsoever or if people forgot that a new episode was airing, but I thought it was average. No big laughs. I did like Robin's career moving forward (finally!) and Lily's hair was gorgeous throughout the entire episode. Seriously, it was so shiny and soft looking. Alyson should share whatever she's using with Cobie.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:50 pm

It was pretty low-key. The whole Puzzles subplot was a wash, save the song.
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:08 pm

I still don't love Chris Elliot as Lily's dad or Lily's dad's character at all, and I saw the ending with him showing up at the doorstep coming from a mile away. But I was still affected by it regardless.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:56 pm

big chicken wrote:Lily's hair was gorgeous throughout the entire episode. Seriously, it was so shiny and soft looking. Alyson should share whatever she's using with Cobie.

I think they're called pregnancy hormones.

I liked the episode - I always love the return of Pretentious Ted, and I thought everything with Marshall and his brothers was great.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:03 am

I say this as someone who loved Cabin Boy and Get A Life but please get Chris Elliot off this show. Based on the "it wasn't two weeks," comment I imagine there is even more to come. I thought this episode was bad, really bad. Especially because there doing something they could only do because Marshall and Lily were gone was something they had done with Marshall and Lily.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma on Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:09 am

Don't think I laughed once at this one. Oof.
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 am

The only thing that made me laugh was the re-imagined opening credits sequence with Barney as the leader and a disgruntled Ted and Robin. When they repeated the gag later I was just...meh.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:08 am

Wow, tonight's episode was BAD. I did not laugh once. Worst episode of the season, and maybe the series. It was like the "room" storytelling gimmick was thrown in at the last second to spice up the mediocre events, but it did not help.

It's time for Chris Elliot to go. He's become painfully unfunny and incredibly annoying.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 18 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top