Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dexter

+18
Shalamar
Morning Angel
laddical
queenofdenile
ActonBell
blixie
Gallifrey Girl
dday515
Sheli
truecrystal
skittlebox
gannetguts
The Dude
punkysdilemma
RiverThames
mokey75
MichiSichi
Binky
22 posters

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Dexter  - Page 7 Empty Re: Dexter

Post  Gallifrey Girl Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:49 pm

RiverThames, thank you for articulating why I too didn't mind the ending. (Though like you, I too had some problems - leaving Harrison with Hannah?!)

But this:

RiverThames wrote:   He's exposed as a killer, but Quinn and Baptista let him out the door because they believe he's avenging Deb (watch that scene again and tell me they honestly believe what Dexter is telling them about self-defense, especially after watching the tape).  
was my favourite moment of the finale (maybe of the series!) Caught on tape killing, but manipulating enough to pull off the self defense claim, but Quinn and Batista knowing full well it wasn't. And letting him walk. I loved it, and their awkwardness after watching the video.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:52 pm

I admire your ability to get past the terrible execution and attempt to analyze its pieces, RiverThames. I guess the part that makes me so angry and feel like the end is so incredibly weak, is that his murder of whatshisface is in no way like the murders of every other season, the ones over the the series that have put the cops after him. He was not exposed as a serial killer, he was revealed as a guy who killed the guy who killed his sister. And his sister's death didn't even, directly, come from Dexter's serial killing activities, but from his failure to do so.

He might be completely free to be whoever he wanted, but it didn't come about because of Dexter's actions or Dexter's serial killer nature or his attachment to the code or anything the series had established from the beginning as immutably Dexter. It came about because he wanted to live with his fugitive girlfriend, stopped being a serial killer, and lost control of a situation that vigilant, serial killer Dexter would have resolved with a stabbing early on. In the end they tried to convince the audience, that Dexter, cured by love, and not a serial killer, is more dangerous than the typical Dexter, one who already got his wife killed, turned his sister in to a murderer, harmed his colleagues, and regularly managed to kill people who didn't fit the code, while constantly struggling with avoiding the police.

It doesn't make sense and it's entirely without agency. Dexter didn't do the lumberjack ending to himself from being a serial killer. Various absurd plot events involving other characters (Hannah/Vogel) did.

So he might have gotten the ending he deserved, but none of it was about Dexter. I would feel differently if the events had unfolded from the one thing the show never veered from until the 'cured by love' thing this season: Dexter can't stop killing people and this will never allow him to be a real boy. He should end up hollow, yes, but because of what he's done - being a serial killer - not because of things which happened around him.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm having fun reading all the ripping on the finale across the Internets, except for a few people who were clearly paid by Showtime or something. The snark on the Dexter subreddit is pretty excellent.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 pm

I swear I've received no sweet, sweet Showtime funds.

And, Binky, I think you're absolutely on point with that. As far as the failed execution goes, I think having Hannah be the Blue Fairy who turns Dexter into a Real Boy was a gross miscalculation on the writers' part. Because, yeah, I don't think the viewing public saw her as being much better than Lilah. Much of the complete failure of the second half of the season is pretty much fruit from that poisonous tree.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:25 pm

Oops, didn't mean any of you guys, rather Entertainment Weekly apparently called the finale poignant and surprising before interviewing the showrunners with a completely straight face.

I'd probably have been more kindly disposed towards Hannah if they hadn't reintroduced her by having her poison both of them for...I can't even remember the reason.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:03 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:Oops, didn't mean any of you guys, rather Entertainment Weekly apparently called the finale poignant and surprising before interviewing the showrunners with a completely straight face.

I'd probably have been more kindly disposed towards Hannah if they hadn't reintroduced her by having her poison both of them for...I can't even remember the reason.  
Heh, aside from the "poignant and powerful" descriptor (which I honestly didn't notice until you pointed it out), I enjoyed that virtually every single question was "This aspect sucked donkey balls, why did you do it?" only phrased politely.

And Hannah poisoned Deb and Dexter because she was mad at him for putting her in prison, which he did because she poisoned Deb previously because Deb was bugging her. Yup. But then they all make up and the Blue Fairy (tm Riverthames)becomes his son's parent. Because she is a super safe person to be around.

I actually wished that the finale was Hannah poisoning Dexter and Deb and taking Harrison. The Blue Fairy bullshit is just irredeemable. To everyone.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:29 am

I knew this season was shit, and yet I still managed to be shocked by how godawful that finale was. I found Dex having to take Deb off the life support to be a poignant idea, but I didn't like the burial at sea. Then Dex goes "missing," so I can only imagine how horrified Quinn and Batista will be. Two friends gone and no bodies to mourn. I feel sorry for their lack of final closure. Nothing pisses me off more than Hannah getting away to Argentina though. I am absolutely livid about that. Are we really to believe she will be a great mother to Harrison? The least the writers could have done is show a tender scene or two between them in earlier episodes so I can kinda pretend to know why Harrison loves her so much.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:02 pm

If anyone, Jamie appears to have been Harrison's primary caregiver.

I am enjoying the fairly constant vandalism on Scott Buck's wikipage. "Showrunner" has been changed to "showruiner" and hasn't been caught for days now.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:47 pm

We finally watched it, and, having prepared myself for the absolute worst (Deb and Dex get married and ride off into the sunset, heh), I can live with it. Well, everything except Deb being dumped in the damn ocean. I'm still mad about that. I get the symbolism - his last kill (in Miami?), dropped her in the ocean, blahblahblah. But poor Quinn has no idea what happened to her, and he deserves better than that. AND I HATE QUINN! Also, in a season full of dumbass, stupid plot holes, the fact that Hannah couldn't even be bothered to put on a goddamn HAT and sunglasses when she left the house was maybe the worst.

The whole season was a mess. I feel like there were a lot of missed opportunities with the Vogel thing - Dex realizing maybe he wouldn't have ended up being a serial killer if they hadn't manipulated him, for one. But it's over, and I hope the cast can find something to get the stink of the last few seasons off.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum