Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dexter

+18
Shalamar
Morning Angel
laddical
queenofdenile
ActonBell
blixie
Gallifrey Girl
dday515
Sheli
truecrystal
skittlebox
gannetguts
The Dude
punkysdilemma
RiverThames
mokey75
MichiSichi
Binky
22 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Dexter  - Page 3 Empty Re: Dexter

Post  truecrystal Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:29 am

First, I'm not buying Deb's urgency to confess her love to Dexter, and that definitely was a string pulling move more than anything else. Second, my suspension of disbelief that Deb wouldn't just haul him in was heightened enough because it's her brother. There've been a couple of other times when Deb almost discovered Dex in the act and I was on the edge of my seat. The twu wuv angle is just unnecessary and actually undercut the tension for me here because of course she's going to catch him now that she's in love with him! Pft.

The more I think about it the more stupid I think it is, and I'm pretty much Incest!YAY! when it comes to those storylines. But this one is so empty, unearned and, again, unnecessary.

I also can't help but wonder how much the DDK storyline would have been improved by casting a different actor. Colin Hanks wasn't terrible, but he also wasn't threatening worth a damn. Every time he made his "Grr! I'm an angry killer!" face, he reminded me of Sonic the Hedgehog.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Oh, I'm not saying it's not stupid, because it is. I just see what they were trying to go for, even though the strings are really noticeable.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Heh, Dexter had feelings for LUMEN! Okay I really liked that season, so maybe I'm projecting.

I haven't watched this season expect for a few scenes, but I seriously can't believe they are pissing all over my Incest Yay! Like respect the kink bitches! Also I don't get the whole Dexter being sloppy paid off thing, hasn't Dexter been sloppy for like three years?

I did tune in to the exact moment when Deb saw Dex stab Lil Hanks, but talk about anticlimax. I really think that was one of my biggest issues with the show since S1, in the book Deb knows what he is both subconsciously since always and explicitly when he saves her from Rudy, and in S1 I often felt Carpenter portrayed that to be the case. In the book she is also fine with it, which people seem to think Deb would never be, but why? They were both raised by Harry so I never got how she wouldn't just continue Harry's Law/Rules, and be the new anchor for Dex. I really wish they had had her find out in the Lumen finale, but I will tune in next year to see how they play it.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:59 pm

I actually think the "I'm in love with him" bit cheapens the whole brother/sister dynamic and the storytelling. I'd imagine that scene being more powerful if she was headed there for brother comfort after a particularly bad blow-up with Quinn, or to share happy news, or hell, just to see how Harrison's play turned out. Any other reason. She already loves him as her brother, so going "there" just adds a layer of daytime soap opera that is unnecessary. Sure, this show has been campy at times, but the characters have basically rang true most of the time. This whole story line? Not so much.

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:07 pm

From what I have read, I'm really glad I haven't had the opportunity to catch up with Dexter since the Trinity Killer story arc ended.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:11 pm

Likewise. I'm interested in checking out season five but this one sounds like a hot mess of MEH to me. Plus, since season 3, I've found Deb more interesting than Dexter anyway, and it sounds like they're kind of ruining her, and that makes me a sad panda.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:58 pm

blixie wrote:Also I don't get the whole Dexter being sloppy paid off thing, hasn't Dexter been sloppy for like three years?

I think he was particularly, textually sloppy in this season. More than just being selfish about getting Doomsday Killers for himself (like he did with Trinity and Jordan's rapegang last to seasons)-- just being really careless. It started with him spilling the slides, then his jaunt to Nebraska. And now, making his kill room the very place Deb expected him to be.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  truecrystal Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:45 pm

queenofdenile wrote:Likewise. I'm interested in checking out season five but this one sounds like a hot mess of MEH to me. Plus, since season 3, I've found Deb more interesting than Dexter anyway, and it sounds like they're kind of ruining her, and that makes me a sad panda.

For as crap as this season has been, aside from the PIDOOTA Dexter love bit, I actually think this was a good season for Deb and Carpenter specifially. She really was the most interesting thing about the show this year, and that was mostly due to Carpenter's ability to rise above the material.

But still, not a reason to sit through this season.

truecrystal

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:51 am

truecrystal wrote:

For as crap as this season has been, aside from the PIDOOTA Dexter love bit, I actually think this was a good season for Deb and Carpenter specifially. She really was the most interesting thing about the show this year, and that was mostly due to Carpenter's ability to rise above the material.

But still, not a reason to sit through this season.

I agree with you that Carpenter definitely gave an amazing performance over the season, and rose above the material. The more I think about (and I'm trying not to because I'm afraid it will taint my love of the earlier seasons), I'm afraid they just completely assassinated her character.

Also, PIDOOTA?
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:56 am

Pulled it directly out of their asses.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:29 am

So I guessed the ending (I thought it was going to be something big as on their FB site/MCH said that there was no "happy ending") but it was pretty obvious that Deb would discover him - now what are they going to do for 2 more seasons.

I kinda like the whole intern thing as I like the actor and his obsession with Dexter and what it will lead to...
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:05 pm

So I thought last season was the weakest since Season 3 (or whenever Prado's storyline was), but the trailer for this upcoming season has sucked me right in.

Just drop the damn incest storyline, and I'm there.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:48 am

I had given up on Dexter for the last season and a half, but I was back after reading a lot of good reviews for the beginning of the new season. I must say, it's back to how good the show was in the first 2 seasons & the season of the Trinity Killer. I'm pleasantly surprised to see such a reversal. I hope they can keep this up the whole season.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:40 am

Glad they didn't have Deb fall for Dexter's completely implausible explanation. Also really hoping they're dropping the "Deb is in love with Dexter" thing but there was too much going on in this episode to really deal with *that* unpleasantness.

I kinda hope Deb tears Dexter a new one for dropping her department's clearance rate by making so many high-profile suspects mysteriously disappear, and for constantly withholding detective work.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:14 am

I was so glad she put it all together in the first episode, because I was afraid this would drag out for half the season. I am cautiously optimistic that this season will be good. At least Jennifer Carpenter gets to look at Michael C. Hall with disdain instead of love now, hee.

I predict LaGuerta on the table by the end of the season. Poor Mike, though. Did the actor get another show or something? Because that seemed very, "oh shit, we've got to write him out asap. Kill him!" Also, it makes me sad that the Bay Harbor Butcher storyline is being brought back because we can't get Doakes with it. Maybe we'll at least get FlashbackDoakes.

And also-also, we watch like 5 shows that aren't on Tuesday and Thursday night, and three of them are on at the same time (this, Revenge, and Boardwalk Empire). What the hell, tv gods???
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:09 am

I loved how Deb kept saying "Yeah, but what about ...", and when Dexter couldn't think up a plausible excuse on the spot, he deflected the question to "You look stressed" or something similar. That's only going to get him so far, of course. Deb is, above all else, a helluva good cop and knows a bullshit story when she hears it.

I felt so sorry for Little Deb not being allowed to keep her puppy Banjo! Kudos to the kid who played her - those tears looked genuine.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:22 pm

Little Deb is also on Parenthood as Erika Christensen's daughter.

I enjoyed the premiere, but discovered that damn they have long way to go to restore my faith after the idiotic Deb/Dexter idea plotline. That's pretty much all I remember from last season and it hits my instantaneous RAEG button.

Jennifer Carpenter is so good, I just feel like they assassinated her character with that and I don't trust them anymore.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:45 pm

Binky wrote:I enjoyed the premiere, but discovered that damn they have long way to go to restore my faith after the idiotic Deb/Dexter idea plotline. That's pretty much all I remember from last season and it hits my instantaneous RAEG button.

Oh, I know! I watched the "previously on," and I had completely forgotten about the creepy intern and the stolen ITK hand. It was like, "yes, yes, Travis, tableaux, DEBLOVESDEXTER, KILLIT!!!, ohhh right, creepy intern!"
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:04 am

I know it was a very packed first episode but shouldn't dexter worry about his cancelled credit cards (or is that just me that would freak out about that too)
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 pm

I felt awful for Deb throughout that entire episode. The only person she has relied on her whole life has been lying to her, and now she's complicit in helping him get rid of a body. Of course, he didn't force her to help him, but obviously, he played on her sisterly love for him. I had no idea she'd figure out he's a serial killer in the premiere up, so every moment of her looking into old cases really made me tense and feel sickened for her.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I felt awful for Deb throughout that entire episode. The only person she has relied on her whole life has been lying to her, and now she's complicit in helping him get rid of a body. Of course, he didn't force her to help him, but obviously, he played on her sisterly love for him. I had no idea she'd figure out he's a serial killer in the premiere up, so every moment of her looking into old cases really made me tense and feel sickened for her.

I felt terrible for her too. But the whole episode was riveting. Of course, Deb's impulse would be to run away from him when she hears this. For Dex to then tell her her dad knew about all this and designed the code... what a pile of bricks to fall on your head. Deb trying to place herself between Dex and the kills is a fascinating idea. So many ways to get awry (yes, Dexter, inject sedative in your sister's food! lol) & ratchets up the tension. I really want Dex to make it. Anyway, the whole episode was so well done that I don't even care this should have happened at least 2 seasons ago.

Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:10 pm

I *really* want there to be a scene where Deb goes, "Wait a minute, is Trinity one of your blood slides?", and Dexter goes, "yup," and Deb goes "Wait a minute, did YOU kill your fucking wife?", and Dexter goes "No, but, uh, he was kind of onto me for six months," and that whole sordid tale comes out. Deb needs to know that Dexter has been impeding investigations for years, not just killing the ones that slip through the cracks.

I am kinda worried they are headed towards a weird love declaration from Deb with the two of them living together, but at least Deb, for the moment, seems repulsed.

The prison guy with his "I'm FREE because I am in prison" and then his ironic! suicide was a little too on-the-nose, but they're not known for subtlety 'round here.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm thinking Deb will be forced to ask Dexter about Trinity, etc, eventually. Or it will come about with Maria digging into the blood slides.

The Ukrainian Big Bad of the season is not doing much for me. I'm much more interested in the threat posed by Maria and the evil intern.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:48 am

Well, I guess my long-standing theory that Creepy Intern was Brian's son isn't going to happen. I'm not sorry to see him go, though.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Sooooooo glad creepy intern s gone. This isn't the last season right? It seems like it is with this whole caving in on dexter story line.
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum