View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Podcasts and iTunesU

Post  jennlynnster on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:19 pm

God that is spot on.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:02 pm

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/12/29/exclusive-interview-jay-wilds-star-witness-adnan-syed-serial-case-pt-1/

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:46 pm

So 15 years later, 15 new stories? I saw Hae's body at my grandma's house. Lord. This guy just spent the last ten cents I had for him, especially since he's only talking on his terms, and only after it's publicly announced DNA testing is actually gonna happen.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:37 pm

I give him credit, though, talking on his own terms. He hasn't been charged (yet) with Hads murxer, and as you said, it's been 15 years. He's really not under any obligation to talk with anyone about it.

I, too, can't wait for the DNA results. Too bad it wasn't checked sooner
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Nothing in that interview makes me believe anything he's ever said. Let alone the "If you don't help me bury this body I'm going to rat you out for selling drugs." Dude, you're going to rat me out for selling drugs while you've got a dead body you're trying to get rid of? I don't think so. Or "I helped him cause I didn't want Grandma to lose her house." You're not worried that selling drugs out of her house is going to cause her to lose it?
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:13 pm

Did I miss something? The last I heard about DNA testing was that the Innocence Project was going to file a motion to get them to test what DNA if any was available based on their ridiculous serial killer notion that even Sarah thought was ridiculous but the motion hasn't even been filed much less ruled in Adnan's favor. The scheduled appeal hearing just has to do with the not presenting Asia's alibi testimony at trial nothing about DNA and was presented as a long shot by Sarah.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:31 am

No, I meant the Innocence Project's motion. The point is the possibility of DNA testing is on the horizon in way it wasn't three months ago, I don't believe for a second Jay isn't worried about exactly that happening.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:50 pm

Part 2 is up.
I find it weird that he wonders if Hae might still be alive if he hadn't been in Adnan's circle of friends. I can only think of one scenario in which his being acquainted with them has anything to do with her death.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:50 pm

Now I feel bad for Jay. I am a total dupe. Everybody in the world is innocent!

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:08 pm

I feel bad for Jay's family, but I don't necessarily feel bad for him.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:39 am

Star Talk is coming to National Geographic television.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:25 am

Caller Go Ahead is a new podcast (only one ep so far) made up entirely of voice mail messages from random people. Call their number and leave your own: (702) 546-6329. I really liked Influenza Twin Peaks Girl. She sounded fun.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:55 pm

I've been listening to a podcast called Alison Rosen is Your New Best Friend for about a year or so, and am super disappointed that the fall-out from her abrupt firing via email by Adam Carolla has affected her Thursday show guests.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:50 pm

Sorry still stuck on Serial. Asia issues new affadavit reasserting her statements that she saw Adnan in the library from 2:20-2:40pm and this time she's saying Urick was full of shit about her being pressured by the family, and that Urick was the only one attempting to "influence" her during the first appeal hearing.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  jennlynnster on Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:49 pm

Welcome to Night Vale is going on tour. I'm hoping to catch a live show this year.

jennlynnster

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:04 pm

Adnan gets an appeal though not a new trial yet.
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:39 pm

I've been listening to Karina Longworth's podcast You Must Remember This. It's generally about secret and/or forgotten Hollywood history, but so far I've only listened to her series of stories on Hollywood and the Manson Family. It's pretty fascinating. I was pretty obsessed with the Manson Family story in hgh school so some of this is familiar, but there's also a lot of new information (to me at least) about the interconnectedness of the various players. I will say, though, that her voice kind of irritates me, especially when she mimics other people.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  bloomtoperish on Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:10 pm

I've been listening to that one as well. I'm up to episode four. I agree with you about Longworth's voice. I find it kind of irritating too, and she really needs to learn to enunciate.

bloomtoperish

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:48 am

I've also started listening to the Manson series, and you guys are totally right about her voice. She sounds like an affected June Diane Raphael. Also, someone needs to tell her that T and D are not interchangeable pronunciations - I cringe every time she says "wriDDen" and the like. Still, it's pretty interesting (particularly the Dennis Wilson stuff - I didn't know anything about him other than he died), so thanks for the rec!
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:14 pm

I've started listening to the Gravy podcast from the Southern Foodways Alliance. They tackle big issues in the Southern through food (like talking about the dwindling Jewish population in Mississippi by talking about the unique culinary foods which developed). It is really good.
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:19 am

Ooo, I'll have to try that Hollywood one!

I'm becoming obsessed with Criminal, which I just stumbled across this weekend. While it's crime, some of it is quirky. For instance there was an episode on the black market trade of native Venus Fly traps. Apparently there is a well-known area in North Carolina where Venus Fly traps grow, and there is poaching of the likes of wild game poaching in Africa. There are also thought and anger provoking stories, like the one about Johnnie Mae Chappell, a 35-year-old African American woman and mother of 10 who was walking on road in Jacksonville, Florida in March 1964 when she was gunned down and killed by four men in a car. Killed simply because she was black. All four eventually confessed but only one was tried and served only three years. The bits are short, less than 20 minutes, just enough for most car rides..
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:00 pm

I finally got to the last episode of Charles Manson's Hollywood and holy cats I almost couldn't get through it. I've gotten to the point where her voice doesn't bother me too much, but I'm completely put off by her mimicking of various women. I get - I really do - that the Manson women in general, and Susan Atkins in particular, are reprehensible human beings, but the singsong-y, affected, whiny way she portrays them is beyond grating. The mocking of them really leaves a bad taste and by portraying them as just bratty teenagers she's almost minimizing their actions. I find it particularly galling because the actors she has portraying the men involved all play it straight.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:55 pm

A podcast I'm getting into at the moment is Thinking Sideways which deals with popular mysteries. The one on Lisanne Froon and Kris Kremers (the Dutch students who disappeared in Panama last year) was pretty good, but I found the most recent one on Lord Lucan to be a bit lacklustre, possibly because it's not a very intricate mystery. I'm really looking forward to the ones on the Mull air mystery and DB Cooper.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:36 pm

Here is where I can talk about Buzzfeed's Another Round, which is my current favorite podcast and everyone should be listening to. It's with Heben Nigatu and Tracy Clayton, both black women who are Millenial-ish (Heben's in her 20s, Tracy's in her early 30s). They talk about race, pop culture, squirrels, dudes, self-care, mixed with interviews, bad jokes, and drunken debates. It is truly wonderful and, as there are only 25 episodes, you can start from the beginning. And you should.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Good news for Adnan Syed.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next