Podcasts and iTunesU

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Podcasts and iTunesU

Post  Never Enough on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 pm

OMG, I'm so glad you mentioned the mini-interview. I listened to it on my way to work this morning and it was really upsetting. But I was so bothered by it, I looked up the official message board and it seems pretty much agreed that it was a Kaufman-esque joke. People were linking to the t-shirt website and saying it was clearly not real and the picture of the wrecked storage unit is from an old news article unrelated.

I'm glad if it is fake, but it's also upsetting if they were trying to play a guy's pretend nervous breakdown, alcoholism, and homelessness for laughs.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:06 pm

Never Enough wrote:OMG, I'm so glad you mentioned the mini-interview. I listened to it on my way to work this morning and it was really upsetting. But I was so bothered by it, I looked up the official message board and it seems pretty much agreed that it was a Kaufman-esque joke. People were linking to the t-shirt website and saying it was clearly not real and the picture of the wrecked storage unit is from an old news article unrelated.

I'm glad if it is fake, but it's also upsetting if they were trying to play a guy's pretend nervous breakdown, alcoholism, and homelessness for laughs.

I've just been reading the blog and yeah, it's fake. It was pretty subtle on the interview, though. And feel the same way you do about it all.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Yeah I could see that if you didn't know who Jason Woliner was you could think it wasn't a bit. Heck even as someone who is familiar with him, he is the fourth member of Human Giant who directed most of their stuff and currently works with Chris Elliot and Brett Gelman so that is the kind of humor he goes for, I didn't find the bit funny or interesting. Though I do think Paul always had a slightly different quality to his voice when he is doing a bit.

It probably also helped to know that the t-shirt bit wasn't completely out of nowhere. A few months ago, Dr. Pepper started doing a promotion where you could make your own slogan that would then have the Dr. Pepper Logo under it and be mailed to you. Anyway, they weren't actually monitoring it so Jason got one printed and mailed to him that said I am a Holocaust Denier complete with Dr. Pepper logo (he wasn't the only one who found the loophole so there were a bunch of people posting their various shirts they have; my personal favorite was someone who got one that said "I'm a Type 2 Diabetic because of". So it sort of started him on other stupid t-shirt ideas.

God, I listen to too many comedy podcasts and follow too many of these people on twitter, I should not know these things!
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:17 am

Thanks for the comic podcast recs, guys! Those will keep me busy for quite a while!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Bumping this back up: I love Linoleum Knife. It is a podcast about movies done by Dave White, who reviews for movies.com and Alonso Duralde, who writes for The Wrap, but what makes the show unique is that they've been married for 17 years. They invite listeners to write in with their top ten lists so last month I wrote in AND THEY READ MY LETTER ON THIS WEEK'S SHOW!!! Alonso had e-mailed me back about a week after I had e-mailed them but hearing them comment on my choices, and I made them laugh, was a hoot.  It is here: http://linoleumknife.libsyn.com/. You can skip ahead to the 1 hour 3 minute, the letter from Rebecca.

It made my day.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:25 am

Raksha wrote:Does anyone know any good podcasts with women talking about comic books?  Especially Marvel books?

I hope you found some good ones, Raksha! Let me add a suggestion too. My friend recently started a comics and pop culture podcast called This Week in Ladies that I'm enjoying. If you ever wondered which Hogwarts houses the Avengers would be sorted into, they've got that covered.

Do any of you guys listen to The Thrilling Adventure Hour? They put on hilarious mock old timey-radio plays and get some pretty famous actors to do the parts: Nathan Fillion, Patton Oswalt, Nick Kroll, Josh Malina, Busy Phillips, and I think almost the entire cast of Community has guested at some point too. I recently got hooked and am working my way through all the back episodes of Sparks Nevada: Marshal on Mars.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:45 pm

I love Thrilling Adventure Hour! It's probably my favorite podcast. My favorite segment is "Beyond Belief" but I really love them all.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:48 pm

I've just finished all the Sparks Nevada and Cactoid Jim episodes so now I've started on Beyond Belief and I think you're right, they might be even funnier. I could listen to Sadie Doyle pronounce things all day long.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Author By Night on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 am

Question - are there any good humor and/or sketch comedy podcasts? I used to like InfoMania's podcasts, but they were really free online episodes, and eventually only released five minute long video podcasts instead of full episodes, and now it's hard to find even those. since the show has been cancelled. Which is too bad because I miss their intelligent commentary, humor, etc. Is there anything else I might try?

VodouDoll, FYI I tried finding This Week in Ladies and it isn't showing up. It might just be my iTunes, but you might want to make sure your friend's podcast can be found via search? Or is it only on soundcloud?

Author By Night

http://author-by-night.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel on Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:39 am

Author By Night wrote:Question - are there any good humor and/or sketch comedy podcasts? I used to like InfoMania's podcasts, but they were really free online episodes, and eventually only released five minute long video podcasts instead of full episodes, and now it's hard to find even those. since the show has been cancelled. Which is too bad because I miss their intelligent commentary, humor, etc. Is there anything else I might try?

VodouDoll, FYI I tried finding This Week in Ladies and it isn't showing up. It might just be my iTunes, but you might want to make sure your friend's podcast can be found via search? Or is it only on soundcloud?

I guess it depends what kind of comedy you're looking for, but I tend to like news-based humour, and I've been listening to "The Bugle" & "Wait, Wait... Don't Tell Me" for years, and they're both very funny.
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am

Is anybody listening to Literary Disco? Its a really good book podcast and it has Boy Meets World's Rider Strong! I think my favorite podcasts maybe the Sweet Valley High and Flowers in the Attic rereads.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

Author By Night wrote:VodouDoll, FYI I tried finding This Week in Ladies and it isn't showing up. It might just be my iTunes, but you might want to make sure your friend's podcast can be found via search? Or is it only on soundcloud?

Oh, weird! Thanks for the heads up. I've sent her a note.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Is anyone listening to Welcome to Night Vale? I finally broke down and tried the first episode, and I like it except that I find the instrumental music under the news really distracting. I know it's been everywhere lately, so surely there are some snarker fans?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:04 pm

choubetcha wrote:Is anyone listening to Welcome to Night Vale? I finally broke down and tried the first episode, and I like it except that I find the instrumental music under the news really distracting. I know it's been everywhere lately, so surely there are some snarker fans?
I love it a ridiculous amount.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:29 pm

Anyone else listening to "Go Bayside!". Analysis of Saved By the Bell episodes - in order. Just listening to "Jessie's Song"...

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:16 pm

OMG! I haven't heard of it, but subscribing will be the first thing I do when I get home!

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:48 pm

I would like some podcast recommendations. I love Kevin & Bean and Desert Island discs; have started streaming BBC 6 at work (well, some days); and am really into spirituality (meditation and psychic stuff - I am curious and like hearing it). Ideally, some comedy ones - I have done improv (the Harold) and love Tina Fey, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Colbert and Alan Partridge to name some.

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Matinee wrote:Anyone else listening to "Go Bayside!". Analysis of Saved By the Bell episodes - in order. Just listening to "Jessie's Song"...
I'm listening right now and oh my god, those were caffeine pills? This WHOLE TIME I've remembered it as speed, like on that episode of Fresh Prince where Carleton accidentally takes drugs he finds in Will's locker and Uncle Phil is terrifyingly angry. And now it turns out that Jessie didn't take speed; she took the equivalent of drinking too much coffee.

Thank you so much for the rec. I can already tell I'm going to be working back through all of these.

affidionada, if you like comedy podcasts you might enjoy The Bugle. John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman do funny takes on world current events. It's one of my favorites.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:12 pm

I second the rec for The Bugle. If you like bad movies you might also enjoy How Did This Get Made, a panel of comedians discuss a new movie every other week.

If you want to listen to narrative comedy then I recommend Thrilling Adventure Hour. It's sort of a parody of old time radio shows, performed live and released as a podcast.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks for those recommendations. I will download over the weekend, so I am looking fwd to others you may know.

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:26 pm

Matinee wrote:Anyone else listening to "Go Bayside!". Analysis of Saved By the Bell episodes - in order. Just listening to "Jessie's Song"...
My husband sent me that link a few days ago! I've only listened to the Running Zack epiosde so far, but I am going to have to listen to this one asap.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:24 am

VodouDoll wrote:
I'm listening right now and oh my god, those were caffeine pills? This WHOLE TIME I've remembered it as speed, like on that episode of Fresh Prince where Carleton accidentally takes drugs he finds in Will's locker and Uncle Phil is terrifyingly angry. And now it turns out that Jessie didn't take speed; she took the equivalent of drinking too much coffee.

Thank you so much for the rec. I can already tell I'm going to be working back through all of these.

I had the same reaction! I thought is was speed but of course it was just lame caffeine pills.

affidionada, in addition to some already mentioned, I would suggest Judge John Hodgman. Some good starters are "Parents Just Don’t Understand" (LOVE Rabbi Mike), "Pepperoni Pauper", and "Die Flederhaus". The recent "The Right to Remain Silent" was also quite good. Funny and it's often more touching than one would expect from a fake internet judge officiating over petty disputes.

Anyone else listen? I need to discuss how I think the wife in "Exit Partay" was a bit mean in how she talked about her husband - bothered me a bit. I don't think she really understood what being an introvert is.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I'm listening now to the Paul F Tompkins episode of the Saved By the Bell podcast and I've laughed so hard I cried about seven times so far. This podcast is the best.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee on Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:57 pm

VodouDoll wrote:I'm listening now to the Paul F Tompkins episode of the Saved By the Bell podcast and I've laughed so hard I cried about seven times so far. This podcast is the best.
That was my first go-to as well! I was glad I didn't start with episode 1, since I don't think I enjoy that guy on much I've heard him on (Howard Kramer, I think? It wasn't bad, just meh).

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:41 pm

I'm just discovering the world of podcasts and I have a question about iTunes. If I subscribe to a podcast in iTunes, does that mean each new podcast for that station will be automatically downloaded to my iTunes? Or does it just mean that station will sit in my "Podcasts" section? Or both? I'm confused.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top