Horror Films

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Horror Films

Post  swsa on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:51 pm

It's that time of year!

Every October I make a concerted effort to mark films off my "Scary Movie To-Watch" list. I'm falling behind so far this year. But I did manage to FINALLY make it all the way through Audition. And I'm still not sure if that was a good thing.

And in the non-scary, but totally hilarious horror film category, I saw Troll 2 for the first time. Mostly inspired by my seeing the documentary about Troll 2 (no, really), Best Worst Movie. It's surprisingly sweet and entertaining.

So, anyone have any yearly Halloween horror film traditions? Recs?
swsa

Back to top Go down

Re: Horror Films

Post  killershrew on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:36 pm

I think that for Halloween, you can't go wrong with the original John Carpenter movie of the same name. I'll watch it every time it's on.

Has anyone seen Paranormal Activity 3? If so, how was it? I saw the first one and loved it, but didn't see the second one because it got such mixed reviews.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm more of a Festive TV kind of person, so I always like to watch all my favorite Halloween episodes - My So-Called Life, HIMYM, various Buffys, Freaks and Geeks, The Office.

Plus, I'm a chickenshit and terrible at horror movies. Besides Scream, which I love always and forever. I always think they sound like a great idea until I'm actually sitting down, ready to watch them.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 pm

I am exactly the same way when it comes to horror movies. At the very least, I can't watch them alone. If someone's having a party, or if it's any of the Scream series (especially Scream 2), I'll watch.

Would thrillers be on-topic in this thread? I have the urge to watch Red Eye again.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:46 pm

I'm also a giant baby about horror movies. I got freaked out by the commercial for Paranormal Activity 3. And the commercial for American Horror Story.

But I also kinda like them, in a glutton-for-punishment way, and I like when this thread comes up because I like READING ABOUT horror movies. :) So if anybody posts 'em I'm totally gonna go read the plot summaries on Wikipedia, and maybe, MAYBE watch some clips on YouTube. WoooOOOOOOOoooooo! Probably with no sound though. Woooooo.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:14 pm

The AV Club gets a director to pick out 24 hours worth of horror movies for Halloween every year and this year's pick was Edgar Wright. I haven't read the whole thing yet but I bet he has some interesting choices (and those who like to look watch clips they always have clips in their articles.)
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:I'm also a giant baby about horror movies. I got freaked out by the commercial for Paranormal Activity 3. And the commercial for American Horror Story.

But I also kinda like them, in a glutton-for-punishment way, and I like when this thread comes up because I like READING ABOUT horror movies. :) So if anybody posts 'em I'm totally gonna go read the plot summaries on Wikipedia, and maybe, MAYBE watch some clips on YouTube. WoooOOOOOOOoooooo! Probably with no sound though. Woooooo.

Ha, I do that too. In fact, I kept meaning to go look up the Wikipedia entry for PA3. The Movie Spoiler and Moviepooper are also good for that.
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:I'm also a giant baby about horror movies. I got freaked out by the commercial for Paranormal Activity 3. And the commercial for American Horror Story.

Haha, I also do this. In fact, I totally spoiled a Halloween movie-watching party one time because I read the Wiki summary for The Strangers as we were starting the movie and (mostly quietly) flipped out about not wanting to watch it. I'm pretty sure this was last year and that I used being pregnant as an excuse to be crazy, but I don't know how valid this was.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 am

Wikipedia has helped me avoid some godawful movies (hello, "The Hills Have Eyes 2").

We're having a Scary Movie Night this weekend .... Is "Insidious" a good choice?
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:06 am

Has anyone seen Paranormal Activity 3? If so, how was it? I saw the first one and loved it, but didn't see the second one because it got such mixed reviews..

I saw it. I was pretty bored for most of it, but it got decently scary toward the end. I'm not sure it was worth sitting through an hour and 15 minutes of boredom to get to 15 mins of scary.

But then I didn't really like the first or second one either, so I might not be the best one to ask.

I'm in the market for a good horror movie to watch while waiting for trick or treaters this Friday. Because of kiddos coming to the door, I'd like it be one that's not too bloody and not too heavy on the nudity. Maybe the original Friday the 13th will work. I would have gone for the original of The Fog but I just watched that a month ago.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:33 am

I like The Grudge and I don't remember it being super bloody gory, but nicely PG-13 creepy. That or Poltergeist I think are good things to watch Halloween night. The scene with the chairs will never not totally freak me out. TV people?

I of course will be watching my stand by favorite supernatural evil boyfriends in Hellraiser and Candyman. Oh and one relatively recent horror movie that I did NOT expect to be any good but which UTTERLY scared the crap out of me was The Exorcism of Emily Rose. Just thinking about it is making my skin crawl.

I totally recommend Sister, Sister to anyone who can find a copy somewhere (and then tell me where you got it). It's a great Southern Gothic thriller/horror film from the late 80's written by a Cohen (Joel) and directed by Bill Condon, I think it would be interesting to watch it before Breaking Dawn comes out since he filmed both in Louisiana.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snarryfan on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:46 pm

The orginal When a Stranger Calls scared me--it lags in the middle but it is worth it just for opening 15 minutes. "Have you checked the children?"

I saw the first Paranormal Activity and didn't sleep for 2 nights--and had horrible nightmares from the "bloody mary" scene they showed in the PA3 trailer so that one is a no go.

I have Suspiria in my Netflix streaming line-up, maybe I'll pour some wine and watch that Saturday night.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Suspiria is very entertaining despite it being pretty stupid when you really think about the plot.

The ones I try to hit up every Halloween are Carrie, Black Christmas, and Rosemary's Baby.

Which just typing that out makes me realize that even in horror films, my taste is kind of girly, hee.
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:02 pm

Black Christmas

I was just thinking of that one. Snarryfan's mention of When a Stranger Calls reminded me of it because of all the creepy phone calls. Black Christmas has some genuinely terrifying moments, namely the scenes in the basement and also when she's on the phone and the cops tell her to get out because the call is coming from the inside.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Horror Movies

Post  mialoubug on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:13 pm

Rosemary's Baby is, by far, my favorite movie of all time, horror or otherwise. It is insidiously disturbing. Even thought I have seen it at least two dozen times, it never fails to entertain me. I also kind of love The Exorcist because apparently I like to watch fights between people and Satan.
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm planning on an Asian horror-infused Hallowe'en, but as I'm a wuss, I'm not going for gore. I'm thinking Ringu, Ju-on and A Tale of Two Sisters (not technically a horror film, but pretty horrific in places).
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  killershrew on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:59 pm

mayram wrote:I'm in the market for a good horror movie to watch while waiting for trick or treaters this Friday. Because of kiddos coming to the door, I'd like it be one that's not too bloody and not too heavy on the nudity. Maybe the original Friday the 13th will work. I would have gone for the original of The Fog but I just watched that a month ago.

How about something like The Haunting -- the original version by Robert Wise, not the crap remake. It's a ghost story that's really spooky but there's no blood or nudity.
killershrew

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:12 am

Shalamar wrote:We're having a Scary Movie Night this weekend .... Is "Insidious" a good choice?
Shalamar, it's not particularly original and doesn't add anything new to the genre, but there were a few genuinely very scary moments. I liked it and had to chase it immediately with a familiar comedy so I didn't have nightmares.

I haven't gone to see a horror movie at a theater in ages. I think maybe the last one I saw was The Ring, and I went online and spoiled the entire plot beforehand. It didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie at all; I just like to be prepared and brace myself for the big scary moments. I prefer to watch horror movies at home where I can use my defense mechanism of humor to distract myself and scream out loud as much as I want.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:06 am

I'm feeling good about this being the year I actually sit down and watch Black Christmas or at least watch it all the way through (I always catch the end!).

I think I'm going to re-watch Vacancy too, because Frank Whaley was on Gotham last week, being creepy and reminded me how much that movie freaks my shit out.

blixie
Mod Squad

http://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top