Current Reads

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current Reads

Post  Raksha on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:27 am

Whee, author evangelism!

blooey wrote:S.M. Stirling! I'd forgotten about him. I read a trilogy he co-wrote years ago when I was in junior high, and I really enjoyed it. (But then again, I was in junior high, so it might have actually sucked.)

Heh. I've had that thought about things I really enjoyed in junior high and high school. In junior high, I LOVED David Eddings' Belgariad and Malloreon series, but when I reread them as an adult...well, there were some things I still liked, just because I'll always be a bit of a sucker for epic fantasy, but a lot of it was Not Good. This is the major reason I'm avoiding rereading any of the Pern books. I don't want to spoil my happy childhood memories!

Today I read Body Shots: Hollywood and the Culture of Eating Disorders by Emily Fox-Kales. This book explains in plain English (i.e. no endless strings of academic jargon) the ways in which Hollywood movies both reflect and encourage the cultural attitudes and thought processes that cause eating disorders. The author is both a professor and a therapist who treats eating disordered patients and she includes anecdotes from her students and patients throughout the book to illustrate the points she is making. My MA is in Women's Studies and my specialization was in pop culture representation, so nothing in this book was really new to me, but I think it's great for anyone who hasn't done the kind of extensive research in this area that I have. It's really clear and straight forward in both its language and the points it tries to make. Plus, it was published this year, so the films it uses both as examples and case studies are very recent and familiar. I liked it.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:55 pm

Poubelle wrote:I got my library's very last copy of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (I suppose a lot of other people in my city had the same brilliant idea I did to read the book before the new movie comes out.) The only copy they had left was the large print edition, and they weren't kidding around with that: I think it's like a 24-point font minimum. But at least I have a copy and didn't have to request it and wait. I suspect I will never again read a 660-page novel so quickly.
I had the same idea since the trailer raised my interest in the movie and its source material. But sadly, I just couldn't get into the book and gave up on it. I hope your read is more successful! I still think I may see the movie, though.
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:11 am

I've said before Stephen King tends to be my go-to comfort reading and I'm sick at the moment, so it's the perfect time for me to read The Talisman. Which reminds me, I don't think I've read any Peter Straub other than what he's done with King. Is Ghost Story any good?

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:06 am

I'm reading Germline, by T.C. McCarthy, it's book 1 in a series called 'The Subterrene War'. It's set in the future - it doesn't specify how far, but I'm guessing towards the end of this century or early the next - and the US and Russia are fighting a protracted and bloody war on a huge scale in Kazakhstan over metals. The US has also created genetically-engineered soldiers, cleverly referred to as 'genetics', and they're all 16 - 18 year old girls who break down after 18 and have to be 'discharged' (ie killed). The main character is a drug-addicted reporter who embeds with a USMC unit fighting underground in huge tunnels and mines, and he develops a relationship with one of the genetics, who hands herself over for discharge, and then later he gets involved with another one. America is losing the war rapidly, and the main character, the genetic and a couple of people they pick up on the way have to make it to safe ground.

I'm enjoying the book overall, but I find the main character to be completely unlikeable, and to me it seems like the author has just written another messed-up male character who is looking for salvation in a 'pure' woman. In this respect the genetics fit the bill; they're grown in a lab and don't get any human experience, so basically they're teenage girls who are almost avatars, and we don't get to see them outside of the main character's perspective. The second book is from the perspective of a genetic, so if I read it I'll see more, I guess.

Also, the author was an analyst at the CIA, so I'm mildly concerned that his talk of wars over metals, plasma grenades and tungsten weapons shot from space is an all too real glimpse into the future [/needlessly paranoid]

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:37 am

jcpdiesel21 wrote:
Poubelle wrote:I got my library's very last copy of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (I suppose a lot of other people in my city had the same brilliant idea I did to read the book before the new movie comes out.) The only copy they had left was the large print edition, and they weren't kidding around with that: I think it's like a 24-point font minimum. But at least I have a copy and didn't have to request it and wait. I suspect I will never again read a 660-page novel so quickly.
I had the same idea since the trailer raised my interest in the movie and its source material. But sadly, I just couldn't get into the book and gave up on it. I hope your read is more successful! I still think I may see the movie, though.

I had the same idea, too! Unfortunately my library doesn't even have the book. Luckily my dad still has his copy from the 70s, so I'm picking it up this week to read.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:18 am

If you can't get a copy of TTSS to read, I highly recommend the audio book narrated by Michael Jayston. He played Peter Guillam in the BBC series brilliantly, and does an excellent mimicry job of Alec Guinness and Ian Richardson on tape, whilst not being a simple impersonation, and acting the full complexity of the characters very well.

Or hell, watch the BBC miniseries, which is almost exactly like the book in tone and plot plus there are 6 juicy hours of it, and the tone of the new adaptation is very much its own beast so it won't be ruined. Plus it is the performance of Guinness' career.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am

gannetguts, I remember liking Ghost Story very much when I read it - a long time ago. However, I LOVED The Talisman.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae on Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:58 am

Who introduced me to Mary Roach? Because I'm reading Bonk now and loving it. That woman is now such a favorite of mine.
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:30 am

I do not know, but I also love her. I think it's almost time to reread Bonk as well.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:47 am

I loved Bonk almost as much as Stiff. Didn't she write one about space? I haven't read that one yet but it's on my list.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09 pm

I loved the space one. That's the only one of hers I've read so far, but I'm planning to read more.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:32 pm

I read Bonk over the summer and am still boggling about them having sex in an MRI machine.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Packing For Mars is the space book, and my favorite of hers. I'm pretty sure it was this thread on the old board that led me to check out all of her books at once from the library.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:30 pm

I read Bonk last month and had a fit of giggles on the underground at one point. That was when I realized that it would've been a good book to read via the Kindle.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts on Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:22 am

naughty zoot wrote:gannetguts, I remember liking Ghost Story very much when I read it - a long time ago. However, I LOVED The Talisman.
I'll have to check it out from the library, ta! I really like The Talisman -- I enjoy most of the Lord of the Rings-y quest type novels though.

I loved Bonk when I read it! I'll have to see if I can get Stiff. Her writing is hilarious.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:09 am

Stiff is definitely my favorite book of hers.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 am

I was actually disappointed by Bonk. I loved Stiff and Packing For Mars, but Bonk bored me most of the time. I think it picked up somewhere around the last 80 pages or so, but for reasons I can no longer recall, I just wasn't drawn in by the material as I thought I would be. Still, Roach is awesome, and I can't wait for her next release, whatever it may involve!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:55 am

I finished Mindy Kaling's book in two days and I loved it. I may have enjoyed it even more than Bossypants.

I also have to give a standing ovation to Jessica and Heather for Spoiled. Read it in one day. My parents kept looking at me on the couch to see why I was giggling so much.

Girls in White Dresses was an interesting collection of vignettes and I liked the shifting perspectives, but I didn't really care for the ending. Possibly because it didn't quite have one.
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:18 pm

I read Mindy Kaling's book yesterday. It's pretty fun, like a younger, much lighter version of Bossypants. I wish there were more behind the scenes the Office stuff and it was clearer how she moved from starving NY hopeful to the Office writer. I'm also curious what all of her non-Hollywood friends are up to now. I saw that one had a bit part on an episode of the Office.

As a child of immigrant parents myself, I enjoyed her ripping into "Jack and Diane" and how she wished there were an immigrant version, "Nguyen and Ari".

How I managed to get a copy of the book from the library: just like with Bossypants, I saw that a copy was available on the online catalog, and when I went to the library they hadn't even put it on the shelves yet, I guess no one had asked for it before me. On the one hand: yay, I get to read library copies of both books almost as soon as they come out! On the other: no wonder I can't find any friends in this town. No one's interested in the same stuff.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:30 pm

I also just finished Mindy Kaling's book. I'm pretty mad at myself for reading so many excerpts beforehand. It seemed like they were mostly taken from the second half of the book, too, so the last 80 pages or so had a lot of stuff I had already read, and it's not a long book to begin with. It's already the worst feeling when you're finishing a book you like, but the parts that were new to me were shrinking by leaps and bounds.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:07 pm

puddingcup wrote:As a child of immigrant parents myself, I enjoyed her ripping into "Jack and Diane" and how she wished there were an immigrant version, "Nguyen and Ari".

How I managed to get a copy of the book from the library: just like with Bossypants, I saw that a copy was available on the online catalog, and when I went to the library they hadn't even put it on the shelves yet, I guess no one had asked for it before me. On the one hand: yay, I get to read library copies of both books almost as soon as they come out! On the other: no wonder I can't find any friends in this town. No one's interested in the same stuff.
That's how I got a copy of Room! There was one listed at one of my university's libraries with a super long waiting list, which I quickly put myself on, and one at another of our libraries with a status of "ordered" or something. I was stalking the waiting list of the first library and happened to look at the listing for the other library -- which had changed to "available," with no list!!! I RAN my ass over there, it wasn't where it should be on the shelf, I was disappointed, I asked the person at the circ desk, and she pointed me to the "new arrivals" shelf, which was literally right behind me. And there it was! And like the next day it got recalled because a line had built up behind me.

I haven't read Mindy K.'s book yet, but I read an excerpt and the "Nguyen and Ari" part was in it, and it was hilarious. I'm excited to read it.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Zoomed through Mastiff (complete with sneak-attack tears). Now on the fourth volume of 100 Bullets and it just keeps getting better.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:41 pm

I am reading Packing for Mars right now and it is an absolute stitch. I want to be friends with Mary Roach so badly. How could anyone not want to be friends with someone who says this on her author website?

I have no hobbies. I mostly just work on my books and hang out with my family and friends. I enjoy bird-watching--though the hours don't agree with me--backpacking, thrift stores, overseas supermarkets, Scrabble, mangoes, and that late-night "Animal Planet" show about horrific animals such as the parasitic worm that attaches itself to fishes' eyeballs but makes up for it by leading the fish around.

After this I'm going to knock out Cinderella Ate My Daughter, the second time I've had it out from the library, shamefully. But really this is much better than my work reading this week of Muscular Christianity: Manhood and Sports in Protestant America 1880-1920 and Sense of Power: Ideas of Canadian Imperialism, 1867-1914.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:40 am

I'm ripping through all of Emily Giffin's novels and am almost finished with Heart of the Matter. I didn't think I'd take to her work at all, but I feel they're very insightful. I don't necessarily like the endings of some of them, but I enjoy how she deals with intricacies of romantic relationships as well as her portrayals of familial and friendship dynamics.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:27 pm

inversed, are you still reading My Mother She Killed Me? I was thinking of picking it up since it seems like such a murderer's row of authors. Do you recommend?

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top