Current Reads

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current Reads

Post  emrie on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:49 pm

Just started State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and I'm already entranced. She writes so damn well. My past experiences with her books have led me to believe she sucks at endings though, so I hope that isn't the case with this one.

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  Grainne Mhaol on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:44 pm

Reading Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. Long, pointless descriptions of the battle of Waterloo and the history of the sewers of Paris aside, I absolutely love it. Hugo is such a warm, human, witty writer - much more appealing to me than Dickens (heresy!!!). Well, Marius is a bit of a drip, but it's otherwise fantastic. I don't know if I'd like it so much if I wasn't such a fan of the musical, and that frightens me a bit.
Grainne Mhaol

http://foodcultureinireland.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:56 pm

emrie wrote:Just started State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and I'm already entranced. She writes so damn well. My past experiences with her books have led me to believe she sucks at endings though, so I hope that isn't the case with this one.

The ending to that book BLEW ME AWAY. Seriously, the last 100 pages are just wow reading moments.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks, punzy.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  emrie on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:28 pm

Jasmine wrote:
emrie wrote:Just started State of Wonder by Ann Patchett and I'm already entranced. She writes so damn well. My past experiences with her books have led me to believe she sucks at endings though, so I hope that isn't the case with this one.

The ending to that book BLEW ME AWAY. Seriously, the last 100 pages are just wow reading moments.
Huzzah! Can't wait!

emrie

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:28 pm

Would I be better off reading an abridged copy of The Count of Monte Cristo? Are there digressions about 19th century banking or the French penal system or road construction I should be wary of?

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  laurelin_kit on Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 pm

I wouldn't recommend reading the abridged version of anything. Dumas's writing style is nothing like Hugo's anyway. Hugo's digressions lend background to the plot that people who did not grow up in France in the 1800s might not be aware of and I generally find them interesting to read at least once.
laurelin_kit

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 am

big chicken wrote:Would I be better off reading an abridged copy of The Count of Monte Cristo? Are there digressions about 19th century banking or the French penal system or road construction I should be wary of?

No no definitely don't! It's funny, I was just talking to my sister about that this weekend -- I read the abridged version first for school, and liked the book a lot, and then read the (much much longer and more violent) unabridged version, and LOVED it. Man, that is an awesome book.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 am

I wonder if there's going to a rise in sales of copies of Monte Cristo. I'm not ashamed to say that Revenge has made me curious about the book.

Currently, I'm reading Feeling Sorry for Celia. After this I think I'm going to swing away from YA and read some historical fiction.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:36 am

The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my absolute favorite books. I have to read it at least once a year. When I was little my parents got me this collection of abridged books and TCMC was one of them. When I finally read the whole thing there were sooooo many plot holes that got filled. Abridged books leave out all the good stuff!
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:58 am

Did a little research and found out the Robin Buss translation is generally considered to be the best one--it's modern, readable, and is NOT abridged. Best of all, the Kindle edition is 60% off the cover price.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:03 pm

RiverThames wrote:So is Ready Player One all that? I had gotten some sense that it was more Buzz Than Substance. I know the author got a ridiculously huge deal, the kind that means he must also get major marketing, and it is a great Buzz Concept. But I'm skeptical.

I thought this too and would probably not have picked it up if my library had not had it available as an ebook, so I was surprised by how much I liked it. I found it really satisfying by the end. I thought the 80s thing sounded like a gimmick but it works even if you're not an 80s super-fan.

Also recently read The PostMortal, which was disappointing. The big ideas explored were pretty good, but I thought it would be sharper. I guess I was expecting it to be darkly comic, but it wasn't, really. Also read Chime, which was fantastic.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  curryalley on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:35 pm

I just finished Cherie Priest's Bloodshot which is about a vampire thief solving mysteries with a former Navy Seal drag queen. So much fun. It reads like a cozy crossed with a supernatural James Bond. Loved it.

curryalley

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm reading Naked Heat by "Richard Castle," and it's stupid and funny and is totally how Nathan Fillion's character's writing comes off on the show.
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 am

I finished Andrew Davidson's The Gargoyle tonight, and it had me hooked from start to finish. I seriously got irritated everytime I had to return from my lunchbreak because I didn't want to stop reading!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:41 am

Today I finished Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (more on that in his thread), which I loved. And I started Cleopatra: A Life by Stacey Schiff. On 3.0, someone posted about reading that book and said it was good, so I requested it from the library and had to wait forever, because there was a waiting list of people who agreed! I'm only two chapters in, but I like it. I appreciate that she doesn't try to make a complete story or fill in the gaps. She points out where historical sources contridict each other or disappear completely, and also points out where legend has most likely deviated from reality. I like her writing style, too. It's not dry at all, but she does give plenty of attention to the cultural and political contexts into which Cleopatra was born.

Thanks for the recommendation, Snarker whose name I've forgotten!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  caerbannog on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:25 am

Last night I stayed up late to finish reading The Seance by John Harwood. It was really good and creepy and put me in the right mood for Halloween.

caerbannog

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:33 pm

Raksha, glad you enjoyed Monstrous Regiment! I think that was my first Pratchett book (thanks to my library having a number of Pratchett books, not in any particular order).

Currently reading The Last Run by Greg Rucka. If you need a good thriller, look no further than this series (Queen and Country).
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:22 pm

I'm always in the mood for a good thriller, Menshevixen, so I'll put that series on my reading list! Thanks for the rec!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:29 pm

It might have been me who recommended Cleopatra: A Life so I'm glad you are enjoying it Raksha.

I'm reading Neal Stephenson's latest REAMDE and while it took about 300 pages to really kick in once it did kick in I couldn't put it down. I still have about 300 pages and all I want to do is finish it.
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:10 am

I feel so silly when I read a book that's so obviously a YA or children's story at work. I'm reading Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, and I know I'll be keeping it tucked away in my purse as much as possible so no one asks what I'm reading. That or I'll leave the book at home and read Death in the City of Light at work instead.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:15 am

The Lost City of Z by David Grann, which weaves together several different stories about explorer Percy Fawcett chasing after El Dorado and rescue missions, and later the author, chasing after Fawcett. The title makes it sound like an Indiana Jones novel or something, which is neat since Fawcett actually was a bit of a Jones type. I picked up the book because I read somewhere that Arthur Conan Doyle got his inspiration for The Lost World partly from Fawcett's travels and I was in the mood for more stories like that, but the book itself is really well-written and captivating all on its own. Plus, it's got some gory stories about horrible Amazonian pests just in time for Halloween. (Spoiler: maggots = nasty.)

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:33 am

Thos thread never fails to lengthen my reading list. Totally adding that book right now, blooey, so thanks!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 am

whatthedeuce, Rucka's also written the Atticus Kodiak series, which feature the adventures of a bodyguard. Queen and Country are about a British spy and are prose novels related to the comic series by the same author (also awesome).
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:10 am

I finished Divergent the other day, and meh. I know a lot of people liked it, but I just thought it was a mash-up of the Hunger Games and about 27 other things. I don't think I'll bother reading the rest of the series.
(And why the hell is every book a series now? Just because JK Rowling was able to come up with 7 books doesn't mean you have to. Especially when there are roughly 100 pages of filler in each. Just write one big book, people!)
Now I'm reading In the Garden of Beasts, the Erik Larson book about the American ambassador and his daughter during Hitler's Germany. And yesterday, I started the first of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books as a counterbalance.
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top