Current Reads

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current Reads

Post  inversed on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:33 am

Snow Crash is fascinating, and surprisingly un-dated for a sci-fi book written in the early 90s. But man, the pages and pages of infodump on Sumerian religion and language theory and OH MY GOD GET TO THE POINT. It's so jarring to be moving swiftly through the plot and then crash right into walls of text. I think I'm through all that though and will hopefully breeze through the rest of the book.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:40 pm

Neil Stephenson's writing style, you have met it. He is also bad at endings, it's like he just runs out of words and decides to stop. I really like his stuff, but yeah wouldn't mind an abridged version.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:00 pm

My Facebook friend Roger Ebert's memoir, Life Itself, is proving to be quite charming. Oh to have been a white, middle class boy growing up in the Midwest in the 40s and 50s.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:31 pm

mokey75, I didn't quite enjoy In the Garden of Beasts as much as I'd hoped to, but it certainly was a fascinating read. Not as great as Devil in the White City but still definitely worth any reader's time!

And thanks for that second rec, Menshevixen. That sounds like a series I might really enjoy!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  paablish on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I feel so silly when I read a book that's so obviously a YA or children's story at work. I'm reading Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane, and I know I'll be keeping it tucked away in my purse as much as possible so no one asks what I'm reading. That or I'll leave the book at home and read Death in the City of Light at work instead.

This is why I love having a Kindle! No one ever knows what you are reading.

paablish

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:45 am

I finally bought the new Michael Ondaatje, and I am saving it for this weekend to read in one lesuirely session. Snacks and sofa at the ready! I have been rereading his novels this year in preparation. I love Divisadero so much.

So agree with having a kindle for secret reading. I use mine for my YA and beach reads and stuff I don't really want clogging up my shelves.

p.s. Wow, it's good to find the new home. Particle Person kindly directed me here via twitter. (This is the former HAL9000).

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:27 am

I'd never even considered that notion, paablish! I love the physical act of turning the pages in a book and my eyes grow tired from hours in front of a device, so an E-reader isn't for me, but hiding my more embarrassing reads is by no means the worst incentive to get me to buy one!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:27 pm

Because of the Count of Monte Cristo conversation above, I'm totally rereading it now. And when I went to go buy it on Kindle, I discovered that it was one of the very first things that I'd "bought" for my Kindle -- bought in quotes because a great version of it is free for Kindle. Go Edmund, get your REVENGE.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 pm

blooey wrote:The Lost City of Z by David Grann, which weaves together several different stories about explorer Percy Fawcett chasing after El Dorado and rescue missions, and later the author, chasing after Fawcett.
I read the New Yorker article of this (by the same guy; I imagine it's an abridged version of the story) and it was FANTASTIC. I've always meant to read the book; I should do that.
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:28 am

So I FINALLY worked my way up to the top of the wait list for Room by Emma Donoghue. There are 1219 people below me on that wait list, and now I know why! I read the whole thing in one sitting. DAMN. That book is going to stay with me for a while. I thought having Jack as the narrator was a good call, since it prevented the story from getting mired in the absolute horror of Ma's situation. Even still, it was pretty intense. Good book!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:40 am

Raksha, I read Room earlier this year, pretty much the same way you did. Then I went back to the beginning and read it again. I still call it up in my mind and mull on it every once in a while. The author did an excellent job of maintaining Jack's POV.
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:37 am

I found a few problems with Room, but I did think it was insanely fascinating how the author conjured up the odd ways in which a child might interpret seemingly mundane things when he sees them for the very first time.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:38 am

I'm about a third of the way through the new Jeffrey Eugenides novel The Marriage Plot. Even though plotwise it is comparatively lightweight so far, his way with words and characters means I don't even care. I've also slowly making my way through Alex's Adventures in Numberland (called Here's Looking at Euclid in the US), and while I am learning lots of new random things about mathematics, I'm still mostly interested in algebra.

For my book group I read The Great Gatsby at the start of the week, and have a vague sense of disappointment about it.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:04 am

Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia and have moved on to the next book in the series, The Year of Secret Assignments.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:17 am

In the middle of Charles de Lint's Seven Wild Sisters. Perfect fall-Halloween read, and the Vess illustrations are great, of course.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:08 pm

I'm smack dab in the middle of S.J. Watson's Before I Go To Sleep, and holy balls, is it thrilling! The main character has anterograde amnesia (though not as bad as say, Lenny in Memento) so she can't remember her own identity and life from one day to the next. She wakes up next to her husband every morning and has to go through the shock of piecing together who she is and what's happened to her over the last 20 years of her life.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  The Lady of Shalott on Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Right now I'm working my way through a bunch of stuff. I'm reading Bride of New France by Suzanne Desrochers, which got awesome reviews, but is impossibly slow to get started and way, way less interesting than it should be. I'm finishing up The Collector by John Fowles, which is interesting but...I'm not crazy about it. I'm reading Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez, which is not as good as the recommender promised me it would be. I preferred Property by Valerie Martin. And I'm picking up and putting down Nightmares and Dreamscapes by Stephen King, for Halloween, which is also not absolutely wowing me. I much preferred Full Dark, No Stars.
The Lady of Shalott

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarlettfish on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:09 am

I absolutely loved The Marriage Plot. I hated one of the characters in the triangle (Leonard), and over-related to Madeleine. Loved the ending, too.

Scarlettfish

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:28 am

I just started Delirium by Lauren Oliver last night and I'm enjoying it so far. The premise is so intriguing.
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK on Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:29 pm

big chicken wrote:Finished Feeling Sorry for Celia and have moved on to the next book in the series, The Year of Secret Assignments.

The Year of Secret Assignments is my favorite by Moriarty. I loooooved the three girls a lot. I didn't really like the one that comes afterwards, which is called The Murder of Bindy Mackenzie but I do like the glimpses of other characters that show up in the subsequent books. There's a 4th one out now that I haven't read, called either The Ghosts of Ashbury High or Dreaming of Amelia (most of the books have different titles in Australia.)

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:45 pm

whatthedeuce wrote:I'm smack dab in the middle of S.J. Watson's Before I Go To Sleep, and holy balls, is it thrilling! The main character has anterograde amnesia (though not as bad as say, Lenny in Memento) so she can't remember her own identity and life from one day to the next. She wakes up next to her husband every morning and has to go through the shock of piecing together who she is and what's happened to her over the last 20 years of her life.
I had a friend recommend this to me recently and coupled with your intriguing post, I definitely need to pick up this book soon!
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:45 pm

I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed with the last few pages of the story, but other than that, it had me absolutely riveted this weekend, jcpdiesel21. I stayed up until 3:30 in the morning to finish it up! Let me know what you think of it once you're done!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  caerbannog on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:41 am

I just started The Glass Demon by Helen Grant about a a girl who goes to live in a run down German castle with her family while her professor father is searching for a cursed medieval stained glass window. It reminds me a bit of I Capture the Castle, except that the father and the step-mother are really unlikeable, like if Mr. Mortmain and Topaz didn't have redeeming qualities and were just selfish and vain. But the story itself is pretty intriguing and a bit on the creepy side so far, so that's good.

And my sister gave me a copy of Haruki Murakami's newest book IQ84. I'm looking forward to starting it and I enjoy his prose, but I always feel like his books are sort of going over my head. Usually, after reading one his novels, I feel like, "What the hell just happened?" and I have no idea. There was this guy, he met a quirky girl and then there was something happening with an alternate dimension, I don't know. I have a feeling that I will be confused by the end of this one as well.

caerbannog

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:53 am

I wandered into the used bookstore last week and wandered out with the first six volumes of 100 Bullets. Oops? Anyway I started the first one last night and it's just as fantastic as I hoped. Brian Azzarello is rapidly becoming one of my favorite comics writers.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:48 am

caerbannog wrote:I just started The Glass Demon by Helen Grant about a a girl who goes to live in a run down German castle with her family while her professor father is searching for a cursed medieval stained glass window. It reminds me a bit of I Capture the Castle, except that the father and the step-mother are really unlikeable, like if Mr. Mortmain and Topaz didn't have redeeming qualities and were just selfish and vain. But the story itself is pretty intriguing and a bit on the creepy side so far, so that's good.

Nothing gets me interested in a book faster than someone saying "It reminds me of I Capture the Castle". That's why I read the Montmaray books, Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, and have a copy of Playing with the Grownups. Now I've got to add The Glass Demon to the list. I think I just have a thing for girls living in rundown castles/houses.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top