Current Reads

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Current Reads

Post  Swarley on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:33 pm

I just read Eve, Quinn, and Bonnie by Iris Johansen. Probably not a great starting point for her books as we finally find out what happened to Bonnie after years of waiting but I enjoyed them. They're mystery/thrillers with a little bit of supernatural elements thrown in, if anyone is looking for something like that. I recommend them highly! Of course, you could start with her first books about Eve if you're so inclined.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:49 pm

I gave up on Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. It made me cranky. I couldn't stand that 2/3 of the book is taken up with people knowing what they should be doing, and then going ahead and doing the exact opposite anyway. (LENA!)
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 pm

For my book group I read The Great Gatsby at the start of the week, and have a vague sense of disappointment about it.
This might seem like a really weird comment, but I feel like The Great Gatsby is a book that you have to have taught to you. Like, the only way it really works is to have a teacher who is passionate about it explain it to you in high school, and then have it kind of grow on you as the years go on and you start to think about what it really means as you get older (or, you know, when you end up in prison). I crazy love that book beyond almost all logical sense, but it's a weird love that has taken 10+ years to germinate.

Plus, its original cover is amazing. I ordered it for my house.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:13 pm

Gonna try The Glass Demon and hopefully remember not to read it late at night. Even after Shutter Island and The Shining, I don't think I've learned my lesson.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Menshevixen wrote:I wandered into the used bookstore last week and wandered out with the first six volumes of 100 Bullets. Oops? Anyway I started the first one last night and it's just as fantastic as I hoped. Brian Azzarello is rapidly becoming one of my favorite comics writers.

Ooh, 100 Bullets is one of my favorites! I'm so behind now, I totally need to catch up!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:23 am

I love it too! It ended in 2009, so there shouldn't be too much you need to catch up on. Rose and Wylie is my favorite story.

F/X optioned it for a series I believe.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Just finished Lola and the Boy Next Door, the companion novel to Anna and the French Kiss. I liked it a lot, but I think I preferred Anna. On the plus side, the relationship in this book doesn't result in quite as much cringing over friend-neglect, but I think Etienne and Anna were much swoonier overall. Ooh and I loved Lola's family.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I liked both but preferred Anna and the French Kiss too. I thought they kinda went the easy way out with
Spoiler:
Lola's boyfriend, and I wasn't as invested in Lola and Cricket in general
, but over all I really liked it.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:57 pm

I preferred Anna, too. But I'm glad Anna and Etienne didn't act that way in the first book, because I would have hated them. I liked Lola, and I really liked that her dads were not "Two Gay Dads!" stereotypes, but written like actual parents.
(Someone on another forum - I hope!- posted that finishing Anna felt like that final scene in Sixteen Candles, and Molly Ringwald steps out of the church doors and it's swoonworthy and there's cake and WHOA. And I totally get it - I remember being 10 or so when I saw that movie for the first time, and I was just overwhelmed with joy. Which is kind of how I felt when I read Anna.)
(I'm a nerd.)
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:03 pm

See, I preferred LOLA, because I liked all of Lola's cast of characters much more than in ANNA. I liked but didn't love Cricket, but Etienne's dicking around with whether he would break up with his girlfriend made me feel less into the end of that book. And boy, did Anna and Etienne get on my nerves in LOLA.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:22 pm

Scarlettfish wrote:I absolutely loved The Marriage Plot. I hated one of the characters in the triangle (Leonard), and over-related to Madeleine. Loved the ending, too.

I just finished it, and the ending made me smile a lot. I think I saw a lot of my younger navel gazing self in Mitchell.

Of course it'll be another 5 years before Eugenides writes another book, so I'll have to re-read this at a more leisurely pace in a few months time.

Next for me is Murakami's 1Q84.
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:05 pm

Mindy Kaling's book came out today and I bought it at lunch YAY. I LOLd by the end of the first paragraph, and I have to stop myself from typing and emailing the best bits at least twice a page.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:25 am

Kiran wrote:I love it too! It ended in 2009, so there shouldn't be too much you need to catch up on. Rose and Wylie is my favorite story.

F/X optioned it for a series I believe.

Alas, I had to stop reading in early 2007 when I became disabled and lost my job. But at least it'll all be in TPBs by now!

And F/X optioned it? Sweet! I hope they do it justice. Nip/Tuck was on that network, right? So they can probably get 100 Bullets' storylines past their Standards and Practices department.
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:27 am

They have a Powers series coming out with a lot of buzz too.
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:55 am

I just finished Tortall and Other Lands, a book of YA fantasy short stories by the ever-fabulous Tamora Pierce. Then last night I read another short story from the "modern fairy-tales" anthology of My Mother She Killed Me, My Father He Ate Me, and I realized that I have read so much YA that my pretension meter is way too sensitive.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:12 am

Ugh, inversed, that reminds me that I have yet to get Mastiff. I preordered it from Amazon, they emailed me to say that something had happened with the order and I wouldn't get it until around Nov. 9, so I canceled it, then ordered it from my favorite independent bookstore...and still haven't gotten it. It's been out for a week! I have Pierce needs! I guess I'll have to find a Barnes and Noble. Meh.
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:17 pm

I'm on the library's wait list for Mastiff. It is still on order in their catalog. But I want to read it so bad! I think I am number 8 on the list and I put the request in a couple of months ago.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:04 pm

katesti wrote:Mindy Kaling's book came out today and I bought it at lunch YAY. I LOLd by the end of the first paragraph, and I have to stop myself from typing and emailing the best bits at least twice a page.

Jealous! I'm trying to wait for the paperback or for it to come in at the library but it's hard!

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:06 pm

Menshevixen wrote:Ugh, inversed, that reminds me that I have yet to get Mastiff. I preordered it from Amazon, they emailed me to say that something had happened with the order and I wouldn't get it until around Nov. 9, so I canceled it, then ordered it from my favorite independent bookstore...and still haven't gotten it. It's been out for a week! I have Pierce needs! I guess I'll have to find a Barnes and Noble. Meh.

WAIT WHAT IT'S OUT ALREADY?! Why did I think it wasn't out till April??? It's a good thing my favorite indie bookshop moved in down the street from me! I hope they have it!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:46 pm

punzy wrote:I'm on the library's wait list for Mastiff. It is still on order in their catalog. But I want to read it so bad! I think I am number 8 on the list and I put the request in a couple of months ago.

I'm both glad to hear it's so popular and sad that you're having to wait so long to get it.

inversed, yep! It came out last Wednesday, I believe. I'm baffled as to how Amazon could get me a copy of Deathly Hallows the morning it came out but flailed on Mastiff. I'll have to hit up the big box bookstore tomorrow. Can't wait any longer!
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:31 pm

I saw Mastiff in the Barnes & Noble in Braintree today and I thought of ye all. Then I thought I might get the first book in the series but they didn't have it. I was peeved muchly.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:45 am

I just finished reading Dies the Fire by S.M. Stirling and it was AWESOME! It's the first book in a series, but it's a self-contained story; it doesn't end on a cliffhanger or anything. One day out of the blue, there's a flash of white light and everything mechanical stops working all at once. Not only that, but guns and steam engines don't work anymore either. Gunpowder just barely fizzles and no matter what you do, the steam never builds up enough pressure to get the engine going. No one knows why and most people are too busy focused on their immediate survival to really investigate that (although it's my understanding that the books later in the series look into that).

The book follows two groups of people. One group is started by a former Marine turned charter pilot who's flying a family called the Larssons to their ranch in Montana when the Change hits and their plane crashes into a river in northern Idaho. They pick up more people along the way and end up in this big nomadic wagon train heading west trying to make it to the Larssons' other property in Oregon. The other group is started by a Wiccan folk singer and her friends who head up to her land way out in the boonies (also in Oregon) and set up a homestead there, where they also end up taking in a bunch of stragglers. The book mostly focuses on people trying to adjust to this crazy situation they've all suddenly found themselves in and trying to carve out a little safety. It's fascinating and I can't wait to read the next book!
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:19 am

I got my library's very last copy of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. (I suppose a lot of other people in my city had the same brilliant idea I did to read the book before the new movie comes out.) The only copy they had left was the large print edition, and they weren't kidding around with that: I think it's like a 24-point font minimum. But at least I have a copy and didn't have to request it and wait. I suspect I will never again read a 660-page novel so quickly.
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Raksha, I've been wondering about that series by Stirling. I really liked his Nantucket series, where the island and everyone on it and in the immediate vicinity is suddenly thrown back 1500 years or so in time and has to deal - at least I liked the first 2 books and about half of the third. I'll have to look for this one now. Thanks.
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

S.M. Stirling! I'd forgotten about him. I read a trilogy he co-wrote years ago when I was in junior high, and I really enjoyed it. (But then again, I was in junior high, so it might have actually sucked.) I went into a used bookstore one day trying to find it, only I couldn't remember what it was called. The old guy who owned the store knew everything about every sci-fi book ever written and he figured it out halfway into my description. He seemed very excited that S.M. Stirling was one of the authors. After that, I always meant to look up other books he'd written, but then I would get distracted and forget.

The Nantucket series sounds really cool. I'll probably start with that one.

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top