Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+105
Wildog27
Dachelle
dreago
laddical
mo pie
mayram
pamchenko
biakbiak
swsa
xyzzy
Luciano
sagitare
Gillian
draco vulgaris
PrincessCleo
RubyTuesday
Lurker
ariadne
Gilraen
Vmars123
Binky
ulkis
Escape
Shadowlass
mialoubug
Luthien
Auroura76
Morning Angel
dday515
MLIS
Esseilte
Genevieve
Cynara
allochthonous
Raised by wolves
ActonBell
SelfAmused
Disclaimer
Carrie Ann
Jude
Corellderaan
MaddyCat
leone
Me Talk Pretty
midnight radio
jstilwe
Francie Nolan
Ceci
subie5
SarahJanet
stargirl
Red Wolf
Tabby
schwa
Crowbridge
Gallifrey Girl
particle_person
Matinee
puddingcup
gannetguts
Poubelle
QueenSix
Kookla
Swarley
jcpdiesel21
BreezyK
eventide82
Scarlettfish
The Lady of Shalott
epudom
Paris, Texas
paablish
inversed
blooey
Menshevixen
caerbannog
Raksha
whatthedeuce
curryalley
choubetcha
maxell131313
laurelin_kit
Grainne Mhaol
emrie
tothemax
bbridges
Bad Username
mokey75
Algae
Cutebutpsycho
VodouDoll
Instant Monkeys
Queen Esther
punzy
RiverThames
Kiran
katesti
big chicken
Putli Bai
naughty zoot
queenofdenile
Jessica
alexdegenhardt
Unlucky Bear
Jasmine
109 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 38 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  Jasmine Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Yep, what both of you said about Code Name: Verity. Such a great book.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:47 am

I finished Whispers Under Ground already. That really is a great book. I couldn't help but binge-read it, though I managed a little self control by waitng until Sunday evening.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:03 pm

About a third of the way through The Thirteenth Tale and seriously loving it.

I also don't like China Mieville. His style just doesn't work for me, it feels like he's trying too hard.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm about half way through Gone Girl and, oh my, that
Spoiler:
I'm loving it. I have to admit she got me with
Spoiler:

I read Where We Belong by Emily Giffin last week. I really enjoyed it. It's a nice little summer read. Probably a little too heavy to say it's a beach read. But enjoyable.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:33 pm

I'll read anything Emily Giffin writes, seriously. I didn't think I'd even like her work, but I zipped through all her novels within about a month or two last year. They're pretty addictive.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:09 pm

Swarley wrote:I read Where We Belong by Emily Giffin last week. I really enjoyed it. It's a nice little summer read. Probably a little too heavy to say it's a beach read. But enjoyable.

Good to hear! I just bought it (along with Stephen King's 11/22/63). I'll get to it after I finish I Capture the Castle, which should be soon because I'm devouring that book. I like Emily Giffin's books. Her stories and characters have more nuance than I would have expected from reading summaries of her stories. It's my kind of summer reading. :)
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:55 am

Why do none of the libraries seem to have the Rivers of London series available? It's been on my list this entire year, and it's still not in circulation within the large L.A. library system. Seriously?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  caerbannog Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:25 am

I just finished Sacre Bleu by Christopher Moore and while I was really enthusiastic about starting it (19th century France, lives of the Impressionist, actual pictures of the art in the book), I feel kind of meh being done with it. The more I think back on it, the more annoying I find Bleu.

Have now started A Brief History of Montmaray due to seeing reviews of it further up thread and it's a very cozy read so far.

caerbannog

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:58 am

I just finished A Brief History of Montmaray a few days ago, and I loved it! The first 20 pages or so, I didn't think I'd get into it, but then I rocketed through the rest.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:14 pm

The sequel is nearly as good (though obviously doesn't have the same visceral excitement), and I can't wait for the third one. Out in October, tentatively?

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:49 pm

I just put the sequel in my library queue and can't wait to get my greedy hands on it now!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:52 pm

Kushiel's Dart. I'm struggling. For a book about a courtesan who gets off on pain it is really boring. I keep reading that it picks up after the first 300 pages, and I have a compulsion to finish books I start so I'm going to continue, but jeez.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:22 pm

While in North Carolina this past week (I just like to throw that in there because I will probably never get to say that again) I read The Night Circus. I had held off on buying it because of all the publisher hype and I was afraid I'd buy it expecting this great read and then be really disappointed (which happened with Kate Mosse's Labyrinth - terrible book!) but I broke down a few months ago and bought it.

Oh my God! Such a great read! I really loved it. I found it very engrossing right from the start and I was always eager to get back to reading it. Brilliant book.

Then I read the new Heather Wells book by Meg Cabot. I enjoyed it but not as much as I've enjoyed the previous books in the series. I just thought that the situation got resolved a bit abruptly. Still a good beach read though.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:26 pm

I just finished In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust. All seven volumes. I've been reading this book for two years and I just finished so I had to come here and tell someone. It was amazing. Beautiful. Life-changing. But, at the same time, it'll be nice to read something else for a change. I can't believe it's over.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:36 pm

That's one of my reading goals. Did you read all the books straight through or did you stop and read other books in between?

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:39 pm

I'm currently reading Death Comes To Pemberley, and I loved everything about the autumn ball preparation, but now that the mystery's in progress, I'm bored. I'll finish it since it's short enough, but I really hope the story picks up because I just don't care at this point about stupid Wickham. I want to go back to Georgianna and her suitors already! Way to miss the point of the book, I know, but all the potential marriage talk had me hooked!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  VodouDoll Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 pm

I read other books at the same time, all the way up until the last one which I just sucked down in six days. It's also the shortest, and the first half is really action-heavy, so it went quickly. If I hadn't read anything else I probably could've gotten through Proust in four or five months instead of 20. I'm glad I took my time, though, so I didn't get burned out.

VodouDoll

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 am

I'm currently re-reading Christine, which I first read years ago and haven't re-read since now. You can really tell it's one of King's earlier works. It doesn't grab me as much as I remember it doing. And maybe it's the fact I've been doing a lot of King re-reads lately, but man, do most of the characters have a lot of issues with overbearing mothers.

Next up is a re-read of every single Judy Blume book ever because I have nostalgia, damnit.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:11 am

Gone Girl just flipped over into OMG CANNOT PUT DOWN last night, and I was up til 3 am. Whoops. I have a theory about the end...we'll see if I'm right. I can't tell if I figured something out or if I'm being manipulated to think I figured something out. (I love that.)

I also just read Ender's Game for the first time. A couple of people I knew coincidentally were reading it at the same time, and I borrowed it, because I've always meant to read it -- sci-fi canon and all. I liked it more than I expected. It certainly anticipates a lot of stuff -- videogames, iPads, the Internet. That's all. (When he describes his onscreen character as a "figure" or something I was like "you mean your avatar?" and then remembered "oh yeah, videogames hadn't been invented yet." (or, had barely been invented)

It would make a great movie. Is there a history of people trying to develop it and failing? It seems like a natural to me.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:15 am

Is there a history of people trying to develop it and failing?

Yes. But it looks to actually happen now.

It really is a bloody good book. However, the sequels are a prime example of diminishing returns, and Card is a prime example of STFU about your personal beliefs and just write great books. That said, if you can accept his personal beliefs on the subject of sexuality, the Worthington Saga and Pastwatch are also great books. I'm happy I bought them before I discovered I had to boycott him. :)

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:07 pm

Yeah, I'd heard something about his beliefs emerging as a little alienating. :/ I may or may not read the sequels. I quite liked the ending to this one. I may check out his other stuff though.

Cool that it's going to be a movie! Reading it, I was thinking, even if they didn't want to develop it BEFORE, now that The Hunger Games has done so well they'd be CRAZY not to jump on it; it has a lot of similar elements.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:20 pm

Red Wolf wrote:I'm happy I bought them before I discovered I had to boycott him. :)
Ha. Yes.

I actually really liked the Speaker for the Dead sequels. Not classics like Ender's Game, but parts of them really stuck with me over the years. The one I absolutely loathe and wish I had never read is Ender's Shadow, which made me feel like the things I loved about the first book were a lie.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm reading Ice, a YA fantasy novel that I picked up because it was recommended by Tamora Pierce. It's kind of meh.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:51 pm

To be honest, after the mess that was Mastiff, Tamora Pierce is on notice as far as I'm concerned. I wish I'd never read that one - it's actually tainted the previous books for me.
Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:29 pm

If that's Sarah Beth Durst's Ice, then I can recommend two other YA retellings of East of the Sun and West of the Moon: Jessica Day George's Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, which is my favourite, and Edith Pattou's East was also pretty good. They're both period pieces as opposed to Durst's modern setting. I recently read Durst's Enchanted Ivy, which was one of her better books.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next