Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Reads

+105
Wildog27
Dachelle
dreago
laddical
mo pie
mayram
pamchenko
biakbiak
swsa
xyzzy
Luciano
sagitare
Gillian
draco vulgaris
PrincessCleo
RubyTuesday
Lurker
ariadne
Gilraen
Vmars123
Binky
ulkis
Escape
Shadowlass
mialoubug
Luthien
Auroura76
Morning Angel
dday515
MLIS
Esseilte
Genevieve
Cynara
allochthonous
Raised by wolves
ActonBell
SelfAmused
Disclaimer
Carrie Ann
Jude
Corellderaan
MaddyCat
leone
Me Talk Pretty
midnight radio
jstilwe
Francie Nolan
Ceci
subie5
SarahJanet
stargirl
Red Wolf
Tabby
schwa
Crowbridge
Gallifrey Girl
particle_person
Matinee
puddingcup
gannetguts
Poubelle
QueenSix
Kookla
Swarley
jcpdiesel21
BreezyK
eventide82
Scarlettfish
The Lady of Shalott
epudom
Paris, Texas
paablish
inversed
blooey
Menshevixen
caerbannog
Raksha
whatthedeuce
curryalley
choubetcha
maxell131313
laurelin_kit
Grainne Mhaol
emrie
tothemax
bbridges
Bad Username
mokey75
Algae
Cutebutpsycho
VodouDoll
Instant Monkeys
Queen Esther
punzy
RiverThames
Kiran
katesti
big chicken
Putli Bai
naughty zoot
queenofdenile
Jessica
alexdegenhardt
Unlucky Bear
Jasmine
109 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Current Reads - Page 39 Empty Re: Current Reads

Post  inversed Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:00 am

It is Sarah Beth Durst's Ice. The beginning just felt so rushed, and I in no way believed that she fell in love with Bear. Show not tell, Durst!! I have no idea what the real plot of the book is yet, and I don't know if I care.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:30 pm

Swarley wrote:I'm about half way through Gone Girl and, oh my, that
Spoiler:
I'm loving it. I have to admit she got me with
Spoiler:
That was soooooo good. Got me too! OK, so
Spoiler:
Perhaps that would have taken it to Law & Order territory.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:56 am

I wanted something light to read after Gone Girl so obviously I went with Kill You Twice by Chelsea Cain. Nothing like a beautiful serial killer to lighten the mood. Cain is really dragging that story out. I'm not sure how many times she can
Spoiler:
. I enjoyed it but I have to say I was a little disappointed by how easily I figured out how the bad guy was. Not that every novel as to be a great big mystery, I guess and the murders were gruesome enough to make up for it. Besides, I'm a total Archie and Susan fangirl so
Spoiler:

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:10 am

There's a new Dennis Lehane novel coming out on October 2. I can't adequately express just how psyched I am about that news!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  nikita Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:09 pm

I am too! I was so excited when I got the email yesterday.

nikita

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:06 pm

I didn't read the excerpt because I want to go into it completely surprised. Wow. That sounds excessively geeky, doesn't it?

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 pm

I didn't read the excerpt because I want to go into it completely surprised.
I always do that for authors on my instabuy list. I don't even read the back covers. When it comes to movies, I do enough research to determine if I want to see it. If so, I don't watch any trailers.

Hmm. I think I just outgeeked you. I'm so proud.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:41 am

I will happily relinquish my crown to you. I bow down to your superior geekiness!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:04 am

whatthedeuce wrote:There's a new Dennis Lehane novel coming out on October 2. I can't adequately express just how psyched I am about that news!

Any word if it's historical fiction or not? I really like his modern day stuff, but historical fiction in general is not my bag.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 am

I will happily relinquish my crown to you. I bow down to your superior geekiness!
Wonderful. I feel so proud.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:54 am

This week I read and adored The Freedom Maze, which is a middle grade book about a white girl in Louisiana in 1960 who gets sent to live with her old grandmother and aunt for the summer on their old plantation, and then after a while there, goes back in time and is in 1860 on the working plantation. It was so so good, I can't stop thinking about it and wishing I was still reading it.

Right now I'm reading both The Sisters Brothers and Size 12 and Ready to Rock. Oh, and I'm in a summer long Harry Potter reread, and am at Order of the Phoenix.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:11 am

Any word if it's historical fiction or not?
It's set during Prohibition. The last time I saw Lehane at a book signing he said that he anticipated that The Given Day would be the first of a loosely connected trilogy. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio has optioned this one to star in.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:26 pm

naughty zoot wrote:
Any word if it's historical fiction or not?
It's set during Prohibition. The last time I saw Lehane at a book signing he said that he anticipated that The Given Day would be the first of a loosely connected trilogy. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio has optioned this one to star in.

Hmm, thanks. I will probably pass. Historical fiction isn't my thing, although I really like Lehane.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:18 am

I'm probably one of the few people who liked the film version of Shutter Island, so I'm excited for Leo to be in a Lehane adaptation again!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:57 am

whatthedeuce wrote:I'm probably one of the few people who liked the film version of Shutter Island, so I'm excited for Leo to be in a Lehane adaptation again!

I liked it, too. I'm sad nothing ever came of The Given Day movie, but I'm looking forward to the new book.

Also, I'm about half-way through Gone Girl, and man, it is so freaking good. I had just gotten to
Spoiler:
) when I went to bed, and this morning I spoiled the whole thing so far for my husband because I couldn't stop thinking about it. And then I stumbled across an article this morning saying it's going to be a movie, so now I feel badly for ruining it for him, heh.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:47 pm

I adored The Given Day and wish it had become part of a series.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  mayram Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:53 pm

I am on a Mary Kay Andrews kick right now, finished The Fixer-Upper last week and am almost at the end of Summer Rental. I'm liking the books pretty well, but keep hitting upon a particular peeve of mine in these types of books. Why do the male characters always have to use the woman's full name when declaring their love? Do people do this in real life? I have never had this happen in real life (thankfully, because I would be turned off by the utter cheesiness of it) but it's all over the place in chick lit or romance novels.

mayram

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:09 am

I finished Gone Girl last night and found the ending utterly infuriating. I can't remember the last time I was so mad at a book. If it had been a physical copy and not on my Kindle, I would have thrown it across the room. So instead, I restarted my computer and returned it to the library asap, heh.

I cannot believe
Spoiler:
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:53 am

So instead, I restarted my computer and returned it to the library asap, heh.

That doesn't have quite the same impact as slamming a book down or throwing it, does it?

I finished A Storm of Swords yesterday and was torn between reading the next book and Jellicoe Road but I decided to plow on ahead because I want to stop worrying about accidentally spoiling myself. I hope A Feast for Crows is a quick read despite the fact it appears few of my favorite characters are actually going to show up. I'd heard grumbling about that but I thought it was fandom being whiny about lack of pagetime for their favorites. Then I read the Table of Contents and, no, for once it looks like fandom wasn't being overly entitled.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:09 am

Hee hee, the angry reboot.

FWIW, I think we were intended to feel
Spoiler:
I finished The City and the City. I think I get what Mieville is about now: super far-out concept that he constructs the rest of the book around. And the concept is really cool, but it IS a bit of a stretch to incorporate it into your brain so it feels natural (which is sort of the whole point), and you never QUITE get there, but the book works really really hard to bring you there, so while the book is really cool, it is also very concepty, and the characters are pretty flat, and it almost but doesn't quite achieve liftoff. That is my feeling. I liked the book and am glad I read it, but like Embassytown I felt I could very much see through to the "What if I wrote a book about THIS!!! Can I pull it OFF?" stuff.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:45 am

Jasmine, thank you for reminding me about The Freedom Maze! I bought it months ago because I heard so many raves and still haven't gotten to it. Glad to hear another vote of confidence for it.

A recent post on Dear Author inspired me to read A Civil Contract, which I liked very much. I'm a sucker for romances where love grows slowly as people get to know each other but honestly the best part was not the romance but Mr. Chawleigh. Best dad ever.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:03 pm

I've just started on My Mother She Killed Me, My Father, He Ate Me and it is AWESOME. I love most of the retellings of the fairytales and there are so many I've never heard of, particularly the traditional ones.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:21 pm

big chicken wrote:I finished A Storm of Swords yesterday and was torn between reading the next book and Jellicoe Road but I decided to plow on ahead because I want to stop worrying about accidentally spoiling myself. I hope A Feast for Crows is a quick read despite the fact it appears few of my favorite characters are actually going to show up. I'd heard grumbling about that but I thought it was fandom being whiny about lack of pagetime for their favorites. Then I read the Table of Contents and, no, for once it looks like fandom wasn't being overly entitled.

I don't know if you have a copy of A Dance with Dragons handy but here is a reading order that combines the two books and gives them a rough chronology that still maintains the mysteries of the both books. (There aren't any spoilers in the reading order but there are in some of the explanations.)
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  stargirl Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 pm

mayram wrote:I am on a Mary Kay Andrews kick right now, finished The Fixer-Upper last week and am almost at the end of Summer Rental. I'm liking the books pretty well, but keep hitting upon a particular peeve of mine in these types of books.

I came across her books a few months ago and read my way through most of them this summer. I guess my only peeve with her books would be that she seems to recycle the same basic plot/theme and main character in several of her books--formulaic but still fun and fluffy enough to be good summer reads. I liked Summer Rental the best.

Right now I'm rereading Gone With the Wind--haven't read it since I was a teenager, though at the time I must have read it literally several dozen times over. It's funny to see how my perspective on the characters have changed so much since the last time I picked it up. Then I was all about the romance, now I'm seeing the tragedy of the effects of the war on all those characters that Scarlett was so dismissive of, reading about Dr. Meade coming home after a long day at the hospital to comfort his wife after getting news of his son's death made me tear up. Plus, I'm seeing Rhett in a very different light--he was TOTALLY profiting off others' misery--being a blockade runner for silks or whatever, fine, but food speculation when civilians are starving is pretty low. For the first part of the book, I disliked Scarlett so much more than I did previously, but now find myself pitying her.

stargirl

Back to top Go down

Post  MaddyCat Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:38 pm

Just finished Dare Me by Megan Abbott; the NYTimes called it Heathers meets Fight Club, and I'd say that's pretty accurate. It's about HS Cheerleaders and some pretty serious shenanigans they get up to, which makes it sound ridiculous, but it was really, really good. The characters had depth, and it engaged with the stereotypes but by twisting them a great deal. I'd totally recommend it.

Now onto Daughter of Smoke and Bone. So far I'm enjoying it, though I just realized it's the first in a series, and I only like to get into a series when they've all been published as I don't have the patience to wait. Oh well!

MaddyCat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next