Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hunger Games

+82
Snarryfan
The Dude
nazlan
LadyGayle
jaraga
tchaikca
jstilwe
mokey75
Never Enough
Pop'n'Fresh
celest
oxymoron
Rhilin
Cynara
Tabby
Ceci
Raksha
Raised by wolves
punzy
RiverThames
Menshevixen
Auroura76
FiggyPudding
snorf
dionneshea
Gilraen
Fiammetta
particle_person
sen3
Caramel Coffee
vwlphb
SarahJanet
Charishawk
PrincessCleo
big chicken
ActonBell
Luthien
Agent Sculder
Putli Bai
dreago
MtOlivePickles
preciosa
Wildog27
mandalaya
Poubelle
BrightEyes
choubetcha
katesti
Unlucky Bear
Paris, Texas
jcpdiesel21
Kookla
bbridges
ulkis
gannetguts
Lily Rose
Genevieve
Gillian
BreezyK
Gallifrey Girl
Instant Monkeys
Bad Username
QueenSix
narfzz
The Lady of Shalott
Carrie Ann
curryalley
Maestro
biakbiak
rivki8699
paablish
whatthedeuce
laddical
eventide82
Grainne Mhaol
queenofdenile
Kiran
bookworm
blixie
inversed
swsa
jensa
86 posters

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Hunger Games - Page 5 Empty Re: The Hunger Games

Post  BrightEyes Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:37 pm

I love him. I'm only 5 feet 2, so we could hang. Just saying.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm super happy with Hutcherson's casting, but I will admit that seeing this picture the other day made me seriously LOL. I am dying to see how they deal with Gale and Peeta scenes in the other movies. I pity the guy who has to dig the holes for Hemsworth to stand in.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Maybe they'll just have Josh stand on a box. Easier than digging holes.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:56 pm

And this picture makes me laugh and laugh, because really. How far away would Hemsworth have to be from the camera for this to be even slightly realistic?

I'M SO EXCITED!!!

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Ah, it looks like Taylor Lautner's Scully box has found new employment.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Maybe when's he done with Hunger Games he can do a movie with Daniel Radcliffe. (Though at least with Harry Potter, Ron was repeatedly described as being taller. That wasn't meant to rhyme.)

For future scenes with both Gale and Peeta, they could ask the Hawaii Five-0 people for tips.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:39 pm

You guys, THIS. WAS. AWESOME.

The only thing I didn't like was judicious use of shaky cam, cutaway shots and blurriness (I don't know what it's called when they do that). It makes me nauseous, and prevents me from being able to really visually get a grip on what's happening. But that was my only gripe, and the only thing that stopped it (for me) being 10/10. Instead it was 9.95/10.

I won't say much, because I don't want to influence peoples' thinking before they go in, and I don't want to tempt people to click on spoilers. All I'll say is that they got it right. The Districts, the Capitol, the costumes, the Games, everything. The movie really passed on all the info about the world without spending a lot of time on exposition, there was only one moment when they used the "for those of you that don't know..." thing, and even then it didn't feel too clunky. I also really liked that outside the Capitol the sets weren't too slick.

Jennifer Lawrenced KILLED IT (no pun intended), and everyone else was great as well. I feel like everyone got it, and was really pulling their weight to make the movie great.
Spoiler:
. Alright, I know I said I wouldn't do it, but I wasn't sure if I should spoil that or not, better to err on the side of caution.

I will say that there's not much of a score, so don't take noisy snacks. Not that any Snarker would eat a noisy snack at the cinema, but sometimes Snarkers see movies with non-Snarkers ;)

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:11 am

YOU GUYS I have possibly nothing of substance to say except that I'm seeing this on Friday in IMAX and I'm EXCITED. *bounce* W00t!

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:20 am

Midnight showing tomorrow night for me! So excited!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  SarahJanet Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:42 am

Holy fuck. Bad Username, I could not agree more. I can't remember the last time a movie adaptation was so faithful and compelling.

My only recommendation is to bring something to clutch because that was STRESSFUL AS HELL.

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:15 am

I just got back from a midnight showing, and I have to say that was fantastic! It's so rare to have an adaptation of a book not be disappointing.

I retract my concerns about Lenny Kravitz playing Cinna. I actually thought he hit just the right tone (no pun intended). Cinna is my favorite character, so I was worried. I also was impressed with Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, but I wasn't too surprised by that since he's a talented kid (see Bridge to Terebithia).

What I liked best was that they took advantage of the adaptation for things like
Spoiler:

My theater was kind of annoying with laughing at parts that weren't meant to be funny. Did anyone get that, or was it just the audience I was with? (I do think one guy was instigating it. He got a pass for the first part of the film based on his yelling "TAKE YOUR SHIRT OFF" when Jacob appeared during the Breaking Dawn trailer, which was funny, and because he wasn't actually yelling anything out.)

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 pm

SarahJanet wrote:Holy fuck. Bad Username, I could not agree more. I can't remember the last time a movie adaptation was so faithful and compelling.

My only recommendation is to bring something to clutch because that was STRESSFUL AS HELL.
omg. I wanted to throw up about half the time, I was so vicariously nervous.

Why did I think I wasn't going to cry? I cried at the TRAILER. Thank God I still had a large stack of Kleenex in my purse left over from Deathly Hallows.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Caramel Coffee Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:09 pm

I probably shouldn't have read all the comments in here before going into the movie because my expectations were far too high. While I didn't think it was bad. It wasn't fantastic for me. The stakes were too low, the world was too flat.

Jennifer Lawrence was amazing she did such a good job and when the movie was focussed on her it really did pick up. So much so that I kind of wished they didn't bother expanding the POV and just kept the focus on her. What they did expand was half hearted. I'm a big believer in if you're going to do something do it properly. They really didn't explore the politics much, which I would have liked if they were going to get out of Katniss' head.

They really toned down the damage and desperation the book sold so well.
Spoiler:

I liked that they chose to go minimalist on the score. That really did ratchet up the tension.

The production design was abysmal. The Capitol just looked awful and cheap. Loved the book so much, disappointed in the movie.
Caramel Coffee
Caramel Coffee

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:38 pm

I just got back and I liked it. There were things that I would have changed, but all in all I thought it was a good movie. I thought the actual Games were done really well, and having Caesar Flickman narrate for the "viewers" what we would normally be reading in the book was a great way to give people that information. (btw Tucci was pitch perfect in that role, as was Elizabeth Banks as Effie)

I'll have to see it again because when I see a movie based on a book I love I usually can't really get into it because my brain won't stop ticking off the differences between the two. The second time I can let that go and get more emotionally invested.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:48 am

CaramelCoffee, I actual forgot all about that spoiler, I can't believe I did, as I read the book fairly recently.
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  sen3 Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:26 am

Loved it!

I actually really liked the production design of The Capitol and the citizens. I can't wait to get the blu-ray and study it more.

I didn't mind most of the changes and also not a fan of shaky-cam, but see how that was the only way to convey the crazy horror of all the carnage and still get a PG-13.

The only change that bugged me was how Katniss got the Mockingjay pin. It was so random. Can see cutting out Madge, but I thought it could have been re-done way better to give it more meaning.

All the actors were just great! I really loved the feeling of connection between Cinna and Katniss in just a few scenes. I read that Lenny and Jennifer knew each other already from when she was filming X-Men in England and her and Zoe would go on their brief days off to crash at his place in Paris.

sen3

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:30 am

Yeah, the story he told was that he told the director, "She was just here making breakfast yesterday!" Which is adorable.

I just realized that it never occurred to me to say anything about Elizabeth Banks being good because I had just started thinking of her Effie Trinket as a real person.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:26 pm

So I saw it last night, and overall I liked it. Jennifer Lawrence was great as Katniss. And Stanley Tucci was just the awesomest of the awesome. I cried during the reaping and and again when Rue died (no surprise), but the lovely thing was that I didn't feel the slightest bit manipulated. It was just that wrenching. I feel like the brutality really did come through, which I thought was important. And the glimpse of District 11 really was well done - I think I cried at that too.

However, there were a few things I didn't like.
Spoiler:
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  dreago Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:04 pm

Liked the movie, hated the audience. People actually clapped when some of the tributes were killed! I know we wouldn't want to root for a tribute who enjoys the killing, but clapping when said tribute is killed? Doesn't that make us no better than the Capital viewers- enjoying the deaths of children? Point? It has been missed. >:(

dreago

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:08 pm

I saw it this morning, and while I did enjoy it, I was disappointed that the film didn't get more into how HUNGRY the people in some of the Districts are. Would it have killed them to show one scene of Katniss and Peeta chowing down because they've never seen that much food before? Perhaps that's something that got cut from the movie for time reasons, but it bothered me because it was very important in the book.

As someone else mentioned, I feel bad for Josh Hutcherson because while he did do a great job with Peeta, I am disappointed that a lot of his story-line in the book was basically completely cut out of the film. I couldn't believe they even cut out
Spoiler:
That said, I think if I hadn't read the book, I don't think I would be complaining now. The film was really well done.

But I must admit a part of me would REALLY like to see an R-rated version of the film that would have allowed for more of the brutality of the games to be shown.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:04 am

Even though I knew it was coming, I (and everyone else in the theater) gasped when
Spoiler:
Also, those brief shots of
Spoiler:
were great.

I LOVED IT. THINGS I LOVED (IN NO PARTICULAR ORDER):
Spoiler:
I wish there were more moments with score. It felt like some moments could have had more emotional impact if there had been music. Also, the constant cutting back
Spoiler:
was annoying. I got it the first time, I promise.

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:19 am

Agent Sculder wrote:I saw it this morning, and while I did enjoy it, I was disappointed that the film didn't get more into how HUNGRY the people in some of the Districts are. Would it have killed them to show one scene of Katniss and Peeta chowing down because they've never seen that much food before? Perhaps that's something that got cut from the movie for time reasons, but it bothered me because it was very important in the book.

People keep remarking that the movie is practically a blank slate on which you can project any politics you want. (The LA Times did a whole article on that.) Do you think it was a deliberate choice to cut that stuff because they wanted to maximize their audience? I mean, why have the tea party boycott your film if you can make it vague enough to let them project their own POV on it, thus getting their money? (FYI: Haven't seen the movie yet, but I finished the first book earlier today. The second book actually seems to emphasize the hunger issue more, although I'm only part-way through it.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:45 am

On Peeta:
Spoiler:

Stanley Tucci and Elizabeth Banks made me giggle happily nearly every time they were onscreen. I also thought Jennifer Lawrence carried the lead very well.

I look forward to any sequels, but hope they don't feel as compelled to keep it by the book; there are parts of the second and especially third book that could be adapted to play better in a movie.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:14 am

I just came back and I liked it a lot, despite sitting next to a kid who kept saying in a loud voice, "They're rushing this part too fast" or "that part came too early." He was fairly young so I tried not to be too annoyed, but man, it irked at some of the big emotional moments, and he wouldn't stop even when his sister and dad continually shushed him.

I need not have worried that the PG-13 rating would dull the effect of the games itself, because I was horrified and half-hiding my eyes through all of those scenes. I squirmed in my seat during the Reaping, the tracker-jackers, the mutts, all of it. Gary Ross and the composers did a great job.

I thought Josh Hutcherson was perfect as Peeta, moving and likable even though his part was slightly underwritten. He completely sold me as the sweet baker's boy AND as a guy with surprising strength, and I totally bought that he would instantly win over the people in the Capitol.

Jennifer Lawrence, on the other hand, didn't work for me as Katniss. When reading the book, my favorite thing about Katniss is that she's hardened and angry and a little bitter even before the Games start, just because of how her life has treated her. None of that came across at all in her performance. She did very well in any scene with heightened emotion, but I never saw that angry side of her that's a core part of her character. I have to agree with Manohla Dargis that she was rather bland. Her best scene was probably the early one with Prim and her mother.

My favorite scene had to be
Spoiler:
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:52 am

We saw it last night and I really enjoyed it. I think they did a pretty good job, and I was surprised to find that in the end, I did like Woody Harrelson as Haymitch. I think Josh Hutcherson did a great job as Peeta, despite his story not being developed nearly as much as I thought it would, and I think Jennifer Lawrence was really good as Katniss. I wish we had seen a bit more of Cinna and Katniss together, but obviously they had time constraints and needed to move through the Games prep stuff quickly.

Like others, the constant shaky camera for the first twenty minutes irritated me, not because it made me feel ill, but because I just didn't see the need for it most of the time, particularly during the Reaping.

Overall, I'm happy with it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Looking forward to the second and third films so much!
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next