The Hunger Games

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Hunger Games - Page 9 Empty Re: The Hunger Games

Post  Paris, Texas on Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:33 am

Meh, my greatest hope is that they don't hire Steven Soderburgh to film second unit in District 12 again. That shaky-cam in the first 20 minutes did my stomach in!

But hey Lionsgate: Don't. Hire Chris. Weitz. (I still haven't forgiven him for The Golden Compass.)

Gary Ross' strongest point as a director is characterisation (and casting) in any case, and he set that up strongly in the first film so hopefully that should have a rollover effect to the sequels. I guess the complaints about the action direction hit home to the studio, even though I thought a number of key scenes in the arena - the initial cornucopia bloodbath, Thresh killing Clove, Cato wringing the neck of the kid guarding the supplies - were horrifyingly visceral and effective.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:34 pm

I think they probably would have rehired him on, but like that article said I can buy it being just being him not wanting to do more. I remember reading an interview in EW and when asked about sequels he was very non committal.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:36 pm

swsa wrote:Gary Ross is out.
Though recent trade reports have spun the story as being an issue mostly about money, that's pretty much a small part of the motivation. Ross has never been a filmmaker that repeats himself (going from satire in "Pleasantville" to horse racing drama in "Seabiscuit" and action in "The Hunger Games") and we're told the burning desire simply isn't there to spend another couple of years with Katniss in the Capitol (evidently, he also liked the first book best).
Or maybe he's not?

It sounds like there's nothing formally set yet either way.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kookla on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:17 pm

I just saw it again last night with a friend who wanted to go, and I have to say, I would give Jennifer Lawrence an academy award nomination just for the look on her face when she steps into the tube just before the games, and the sound kind of cuts off. It was like up until that moment the tributes would have been able to delude themselves (what with the interviews, and the pampering) that this was just going to be some tv show, but then when the countdown started and they stepped into the tube it was like, "oh, SHIT." And I read all of that on Lawrence's face in those three seconds alone. Really well done.

Kookla

Back to top Go down

Post  Never Enough on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 pm

I agree and would say that I thought JL was amazing, and heartbreaking, in the entire scene leading up to her going into the tube. She has this slow build up of looking like she's hyperventalating and trying to keep herself calm, but loosing more and more control. Then in the tube is when she really loses it.

That scene really broke my heart, moreso than the actual killings right afterwards.

Never Enough

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:42 pm

David Cronenberg on reported short list for the sequel. I mean Cuaron and Inarritu as well but I would the idea of Cronenberg intrigues (not that it will happen)!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:43 pm

That is a really intriguing shortlist. I know people didn't like Prisoner of Azkaban but I loved it. It was my favorite of the Harry Potter films. I will admit it was probably the worst adaptation but to me it was the best movie in the series. I also love his other work. I wasn''t a fan of Babel but I enjoyed Inarritu's other stuff.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 pm

Plus, PoA just LOOKED much nicer than all the other HP movies. The color palette was better, everything looked strangely sharp-edged, the use of the ravens/crows to make it spookier...I loved it.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 pm

He really is one of the most interesting directors working today in my opinion. And his movies are gorgeous. His versions of The Little Princess and Great Expectations were just beautiful to look at.

I did think Gary Ross did a very good job though. Hes someone I think who casts VERY well, which was really good set up for the rest of the films, and has a striking visual flair (Pleasantville is probably the best proof of that).
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:11 pm

My issues with Prisoner of Azkaban had a lot to do with Steve Kloves' script and very little to do with Cuaron's directing, so bring him on for Catching Fire, I say.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Cuaron's working on Gravity though, which is sounding SERIOUSLY complex and CGI-heavy. I think he's going to be way too busy in post to be able to jump into this. Same with Cronenberg who has Cosmopolis and is starting as EP on a new tv series.

I want to know who else is on the list.
No word yet on the other five names on the list, but apparently none are female.
Yeah, that's a shocker.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

I hope Cuaron's free--one of the things I loved so much about both PoA and Children of Men was how real and lived-in he made the completely fictional worlds look.

I can't imagine Cronenberg actually doing it, but I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian on Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:20 am

Whoever it ends up being, they NEED to get Armie Hammer on board as Finnick. One of you fine people suggested that ages ago, and I was like, "Oooohh, yes! He'd be perfect!" And then I saw Mirror Mirror last night, and now I am utterly convinced that no one else will do.

Besides all that, though, I want Cuaron. PoA was one of my favorites, too.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:09 am

I also vote Cuaron! That would be so cool. I loved PoA.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12 am

Gillian wrote:Whoever it ends up being, they NEED to get Armie Hammer on board as Finnick.
For real! On a related note, remember when
Spoiler:
Finnick was a 14-year-old sex slave?
Can't wait to see them try to PG-13 that.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:18 am

Spoiler:
That isn't till the last movie, though. When I finished Catching Fire, Cleo mentioned it and I was all "WHAT? THAT WASN'T IN THE BOOK!" and then she was all, "Uh, it was in Mockingjay." It is kind of hinted at in Catching Fire but it's not explicit.

Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:50 am

Gillian wrote:Whoever it ends up being, they NEED to get Armie Hammer on board as Finnick. One of you fine people suggested that ages ago, and I was like, "Oooohh, yes! He'd be perfect!" And then I saw Mirror Mirror last night, and now I am utterly convinced that no one else will do.
I so agree. I'm going to be sorely disappointed if this does not happen. On another message board, someone suggested Zach Efron, and I had to close my browser to recover.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:39 am

I want Freddie Stroma aka Cormac McClaggen from HP. It's his face and body that pop into my head when I picture Finnick.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara on Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:52 am

particle_person wrote:
Spoiler:
That isn't till the last movie, though.
I know. I just assumed they would make the third--I can't imagine the second one bombing so badly they wouldn't go for Mockingjay.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:02 pm

I love Armie Hammer, but I'm iffy on him as Finnick. I always picture Finnick....more beautiful I guess? Whereas Armie is the definition of handsome.

The thing is I think they can get away with it. They don't actually show you anything.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:02 pm

I so agree. I'm going to be sorely disappointed if this does not happen. On another message board, someone suggested Zach Efron, and I had to close my browser to recover..

Hee.

Why am I picturing Finnick as a blond? Tell me it's because that's how he was described in the book.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:04 pm

I always pictured him as a blonde too. In fact as awful as he seems to be as a person when people were suggesting Alex Pettyfer as Peeta, I realized he was probably the closest to my vision of Finnick when I read the books. Not to say he should be cast, but that kind of was lookswise what I pictured.

Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:18 pm

I believe he is described as being tan, with bronze colored hair and green eyes.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Kiran wrote:The thing is I think they can get away with it. They don't actually show you anything.

Hey, if they can film a vampire/human hybrid birth scene for Breaking Dawn, I think implying someone was getting sexy with the ladies won't be too much of a problem.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  tchaikca on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:55 pm

After watching Glee this week...I have become convinced that Matt Bomer (with a few highlights?) MUST play Finnick.

see?

While Armie Hammer is indeed handsome...I just can't see him as Finnick.

I'm not sure I could handle Catching Fire as envisioned by Cronenberg....would def. not be PG13!

Last edited by tchaikca on Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : messed up link!)

tchaikca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum