Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+124
themis
xyzzy
weathergal
PirateCatarina
The Glen
The Dude
filwdork
aninnocent
katbeth
salamandersam
wenchsenior
CaroJC
rivki8699
emrie
PineappleGirl
Kookla
vwlphb
Matinee
Grainne Mhaol
Soleil
Arabella
blooey
ulkis
Skyblade
sunni94
schwa
Agent Sculder
Swarley
Rhilin
Escape
puddingcup
jstilwe
Paris, Texas
Jordan Baker
bbridges
Algae
Sheli
CherryFlame
punzy
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
jensa
Wilhelmina
Jude
Decca
tchaikca
Poubelle
draco vulgaris
Miss Moneypenny
chibimanda
Dachelle
Raksha
easybreezy
mandalaya
BreezyK
Bad Username
eco
FiggyPudding
Shalamar
SarahJanet
Fiammetta
Coneycat
katesti
Luthien
Jamie
Brainchild
QueenSix
BrightEyes
killershrew
darthtall
slmader
dionneshea
bookworm
mayram
Morning Angel
Menshevixen
MaddyCat
harvey the penguin
eventide82
epudom
Binky
truecrystal
curryalley
Auroura76
Crackie
Cynara
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Snarryfan
ActonBell
tothemax
swsa
sagitare
Gillian
Case
big chicken
Unlucky Bear
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mokey75
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
blixie
molliewollie
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Cutebutpsycho
Kiran
nikita
jcpdiesel21
Ceci
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Corellderaan
jaraga
MLIS
Gilraen
RiverThames
queenofdenile
Putli Bai
laddical
128 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 3 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:01 pm

In my opinion, Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol is the best, most enjoyable film in the series yet. There was SO much going on that I wasn't bored a single time; there was so much awesome action and beautiful scenery to take in! I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, but he's at his least objectionable in action hero mode even when he's got his Serious Running Face on. Jeremy Renner and Paula Patton are nice additions to the team (also: HOT) and Simon Pegg is, as always, a complete delight. There are even a few fun cameos at the end for those who have kept up with the series. I saw this on the local IMAX screen and it was incredible. The sound volume was a little extreme at times, but it was worth the upcharge to see all of the detailed cityscapes in the flyovers and feel like I was actually in the movie due to the screen's bigger size.

One minor quibble:
Spoiler:
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 3 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 am

I dragged my poor, long-suffering husband with me to see Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows tonight. I loved it. I'm not sure if I liked it more than the first one, but definitely enjoyed it a lot. My husband LOVED this movie, and he hated the first one. The story is definitely more involved this time around, but I didn't have a problem following it.

Sherlock is still kind of an asshole (and totally heartbroken that Watson's getting married). Surprisingly, I found Jude Law like ten times hotter in this one, especially because he spends most of his screen time really dirty, really bloody, or really drunk. Noomi Rapace was great. There's a fight scene early in the movie where she and a goon are going at it and I feel like in a movie when a man and a woman are fighting, either she kicks his ass right away or she goes down immediately, but in this, they are absolutely WHALING on each other, slugging it out with blood and knives and everything, and it's fairly badass.

The good:
The music. I loved the score from the first one, and A LOT of it is carried over into this one.
Moriarty and Moran. I liked that Moriarty was quietly menacing, and that Holmes pretty much knew what he was about, and couldn't do a thing about it.
Mary has something to do while the boys are off saving the world.

The bad:
The super-choppy camera cuts. I couldn't tell if they were worse this time or if it was because we had to sit closer to the screen than usual.
Do they even have "stag nights" in England in 1891?

The ugly:
Holmes' lady disguise
The amount of screentime Stephen Fry spends naked.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 am

So you liked it? I do want to check it out, but I have a feeling that it might not be until Christmas.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 am

I liked it A LOT. I loved the ending.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:04 am

I liked it a lot too but thought the movie was a bit slow getting started. I nearly dozed off. It doesn't pick up until Watson gets married. I liked Rapace as Madame Sima much more than I ever liked McAdams as Irene Adler.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:38 am

Back from what I call The Young Woman With the Tattoo of A Dragon.
Same locations. Same characters. Same wacked-out plot twists. In English this time,with flashy direction and a hip score.
Rooney was a very different Lisbeth,but on the same level as Noomi. The rest of the cast? Fair.
It's the exact same film. With a bigger budget. So..I'm baffled as to why it exists.

Case
Case

https://www.facebook.com/case.crum

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:42 am

It exists because Americans hate reading subtitles.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:51 am

RiverThames wrote:It exists because Americans hate reading subtitles.
I'm dying to see how it does internationally. Especially in Sweden.

I was surprised and happy to see that the story retained it's typical Swedish feeling of restrained despair. No silly American-izing. Well. Not too much. Everyone had that "vaguely European meets Greta Garbo" accent. Resigned sigh.
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  Case Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:00 am

Rooney deserves an Oscar nod,however.
Case
Case

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:20 am

RiverThames wrote:It exists because Americans hate reading subtitles.

And won't go to a non-animated, non-special-effects driven film without recognizable faces.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:10 am

I'd swear the version I got of the Swedish film from Netflix was dubbed. I remember being surprised, and asking my husband if he wanted me to wait to watch it. (He's visually impaired, so he can't read the subtitles.) Am I crazy?
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:47 pm

My son and I just saw Young Adult and we were kinda underwhelmed. Charlize Theron's character is really unlikable (that's the point - I know) and the object of her machinations is pretty boring (probably also the point). Patton Oswalt's character and the ex-boyfriend's wife are really the only likable people in the whole film. I get that Mavis is emotionally stunted and delusional and self-absorbed but I feel like the film wasn't funny enough to be a comedy or serous enough as a drama. It also felt too long. I don't think my view is tainted by my long-standing antipathy toward Diablo Cody.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:13 pm

I also saw Young Adult and I'm still not sure what I think about it. A part of me loved it, and a part of me wonders if I entirely missed the point, and I'm still not exactly sure if I interpreted the ending of it correctly - but I thought Charlize was uhMAzing and I definitely felt empathy for Mavis even though I also disliked her.

Diablo Cody gets on my nerves, but one thing I can say for her is that I never think her work is boring. Whether her scripts are good or a mess, I always find something interesting about it.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:35 am

a part of me wonders if I entirely missed the point,
A part of me feels like whatever criticism is leveled at the film could be considered the point. It's kinda shallow and not at all a complex look at this totally messed up person? Well, Mavis is shallow and not at all complex.
The performances were all top-notch, I agree. The most intriguing moment in the film for me was when the ex's wife was talking about her work
Spoiler:
. Which came first, that or the alcohol? And when she tells her parents
Spoiler:
. I guess where the film doesn't work for me is that we're just dropped down into her mess of a life with no context or explanation - she's just a free-standing nightmare. To the point that when she gives some sort of explanation for her behavior I found myself wondering if she just made it up?
I can absolutely see why so many critics are positive about it - it's definitely different from most other films and I can't say it's a bad film, but ultimately I just wish they'd done more with it. But that's probably the point.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:32 am

I guess where the film doesn't work for me is that we're just dropped down into her mess of a life with no context or explanation - she's just a free-standing nightmare.

Yeah, I think that was my biggest problem with it, too. I don't think she made it up, but I kept wondering why she was such a mess. How much of it was self-inflicted because she's just a chronically unhappy, awful person, and how much of it was beyond her control or due to something bad that happened to her? Which came first? There was too much guesswork going on for me to love the movie, even though I liked it and it got me thinking.

Ironically, that kind of guesswork - where we know that the female lead is unhappy but we don't exactly know why and are just given hints for the motivation - is exactly what I liked about Melancholia (and the same reason why my boyfriend didn't like it).
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:25 pm

Melancholia is so great and probably my pick for best movie of the year, but perhaps it benefits from the addition of Claire as a counterpoint to Justine, as well as the bigger context of the gorgeous prologue?

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:44 am

I watched Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close tonight. Opens in a couple of days, stars Tom Hanks and Sandra Bullock. I knew nothing about it before watching, and man. Sad and sweet and sad and disturbing and sad. Gah! Tom and Sandra are actually barely in it, it rests entirely on this young kid who's only other credit is appearing on teen Jeopardy. He was awesome, but did I mention it was sad?

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:33 pm

Hugo. Absolutely dazzling and amazing and sweet. I love Scorsese, but I think he's outdone himself here. The 3D was used gorgeously. Just a beautiful, beautiful film.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:22 am

We Bought a Zoo was not the ordeal to sit through I feared it was going to be. I don't like zoos, I don't like Scarlett Johansson, and I don't like Matt Damon's hair in the trailer. Despite all that, it was pretty watchable. It mostly surpassed my very, very low expectations (ScarJo didn't. I just find her to be so utterly charmless in pretty much everything she does).

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:52 am

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was my Christmas Day movie and I really enjoyed it, even if I had to look up a plot summary when I got home to sort out what happened. The cinematography is wonderful, as is the direction, and the performances are brilliant, particularly Gary Oldman who basically gives a master class in acting. There's a terrific scene where he describes his meeting with a Soviet general to Cumberbatch's character, and you just watch Oldman in wonder, really.

ETA: Also, Tom Hardy looked disturbingly like James Blunt. It was kind of hilarious, actually.

Last edited by sagitare on Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:10 pm

War Horse, or "Black Beauty meets Saving Private Ryan." I enjoyed it, but there were several times where it was really hard to watch. And the theater got very, very dusty there at the end of the movie.

Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:13 pm

The first time I saw an ad for War Horse, I kind of thought it was a commercial parody what with the boy yelling, "I will find you" all Daniel Day-Lewis-like.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:20 pm

My sisters, cousins, and I actually spent a good 10 minutes of our Christmas Eve dinner laughing our asses off about the fact that the guy in the movie carries that pic of his horse around asking people if they've seen it. We kept saying, "I'm sure it's a great movie, but...you know all those horses look the same! The people he's asking are just gonna keep pointing at random horses saying, "I think that's it!" So mean but also quite plausible, IMO. (No offense to any horse lovers out there.)

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:14 am

queenofdenile wrote:
I guess where the film doesn't work for me is that we're just dropped down into her mess of a life with no context or explanation - she's just a free-standing nightmare.

Yeah, I think that was my biggest problem with it, too. I don't think she made it up, but I kept wondering why she was such a mess. How much of it was self-inflicted because she's just a chronically unhappy, awful person, and how much of it was beyond her control or due to something bad that happened to her? Which came first? There was too much guesswork going on for me to love the movie, even though I liked it and it got me thinking.
Young Adult made perfect sense to me. I wonder if part of it is having the experience of moving away from a small town and having attitude about it. Because I KNOW that was an issue with me. I pretty much looked down my nose at where I came from. And I'm old enough now to realize how arrogant and snide that kind of attitude is, but when I was younger, I know I had that same "Gross." reaction that Mavis has throughout. It's just that most of us grow up and realize that you can be a loser or be happy no matter where you live. But she's pretty much stuck as a permanent 20-year old. I just really loved the ending, where JUST as she might be having a moment of enlightenment, another sycophant comes along to pump up her ego and reassure her that she'll forever be the hot Prom Queen who is way too good for this shithole.

I also saw Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and maybe it's just seeing it after Young Adult, which I think had one of the best lead performances of the year, but I was not impressed with Rooney Mara at all. The character never felt like a person to me. She was so much about a haircut and a lack of eyebrows, that I kind of felt you could plug dozens of 20-something actresses in there and get the same result. This also could be that I know too much of the behind the scenes Rooney/Fincher weirdness, but the performance just felt so heavily directed. I got the vibe like her every step, turn, pause, was dictated to the second. I just didn't get the sense of a real live woman like I did with Noomi Rapace.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:51 am

Young Adult made perfect sense to me. I wonder if part of it is having the experience of moving away from a small town and having attitude about it. Because I KNOW that was an issue with me. I pretty much looked down my nose at where I came from. And I'm old enough now to realize how arrogant and snide that kind of attitude is, but when I was younger, I know I had that same "Gross." reaction that Mavis has throughout.

I got that part of it, but I wasn't sure how I felt about the signs of Mavis's deeper problems:
Spoiler:
. There's a lot more going on than her just being a snot who's stuck in her 20s. I don't know if the lack of exploration of that side of her character was a disappointment, or if it made me like the movie more. I also wasn't sure if I was supposed to think the ending was a tragedy, a triumph, or what.

Basically I can't decide if I found it disappointing or if I think it's the best thing Diablo Cody's done.

Melancholia is so great and probably my pick for best movie of the year, but perhaps it benefits from the addition of Claire as a counterpoint to Justine, as well as the bigger context of the gorgeous prologue?

The prologue is really what sold the movie on me. The recurring Wagner theme throughout worked so well.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next