Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now Playing At a Theater Near You

+124
themis
xyzzy
weathergal
PirateCatarina
The Glen
The Dude
filwdork
aninnocent
katbeth
salamandersam
wenchsenior
CaroJC
rivki8699
emrie
PineappleGirl
Kookla
vwlphb
Matinee
Grainne Mhaol
Soleil
Arabella
blooey
ulkis
Skyblade
sunni94
schwa
Agent Sculder
Swarley
Rhilin
Escape
puddingcup
jstilwe
Paris, Texas
Jordan Baker
bbridges
Algae
Sheli
CherryFlame
punzy
bosoxgirl
Wildog27
jensa
Wilhelmina
Jude
Decca
tchaikca
Poubelle
draco vulgaris
Miss Moneypenny
chibimanda
Dachelle
Raksha
easybreezy
mandalaya
BreezyK
Bad Username
eco
FiggyPudding
Shalamar
SarahJanet
Fiammetta
Coneycat
katesti
Luthien
Jamie
Brainchild
QueenSix
BrightEyes
killershrew
darthtall
slmader
dionneshea
bookworm
mayram
Morning Angel
Menshevixen
MaddyCat
harvey the penguin
eventide82
epudom
Binky
truecrystal
curryalley
Auroura76
Crackie
Cynara
inversed
MtOlivePickles
Snarryfan
ActonBell
tothemax
swsa
sagitare
Gillian
Case
big chicken
Unlucky Bear
alexdegenhardt
biakbiak
mokey75
Gallifrey Girl
mrinsouciance
Jessica
Instant Monkeys
naughty zoot
blixie
molliewollie
Red Wolf
whatthedeuce
Cutebutpsycho
Kiran
nikita
jcpdiesel21
Ceci
TiffanyNichelle
Carrie Ann
Corellderaan
jaraga
MLIS
Gilraen
RiverThames
queenofdenile
Putli Bai
laddical
128 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 40 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  eventide82 Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:28 pm

We watched Birdman on the weekend and I didn't love it. I was excited to see it, I thought the quirk factor might be what really appealed to me, but ultimately I found it a little dull. I thought the performances of the actors were all great, but the actual story didn't do a lot for me, which is disappointing. I think it's just been so hyped up that I had really high expectations.

eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Now Playing At a Theater Near You - Page 40 Empty Re: Now Playing At a Theater Near You

Post  sagitare Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 am

laddical wrote:Also:
Spoiler:
God, yes, I'm glad you mentioned that. He created a really interesting character in such a short span of time. Like, right off he catches your attention. I mean, even from a story point of view I thought there was more to it and he'd be around longer. ALAS.
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:47 am

eventide82 wrote:We watched Birdman on the weekend and I didn't love it. I was excited to see it, I thought the quirk factor might be what really appealed to me, but ultimately I found it a little dull. I thought the performances of the actors were all great, but the actual story didn't do a lot for me, which is disappointing. I think it's just been so hyped up that I had really high expectations.

I felt the same way. I thought the cast was good, but the movie itself seemed to be weird for the sake of being weird, and it forgot to be interesting somewhere along the way.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:21 pm

eventide82 wrote:We watched Birdman on the weekend and I didn't love it. I was excited to see it, I thought the quirk factor might be what really appealed to me, but ultimately I found it a little dull. I thought the performances of the actors were all great, but the actual story didn't do a lot for me, which is disappointing. I think it's just been so hyped up that I had really high expectations.

Visually impressive and the acting was really quite good, but I did not care for it either. It felt so self-absorbed and seemed to think it had profound insight about things I've seen a million times. I didn't really get what it had to say that was interesting. Plus, though it fit the movie, the score really interfered with my enjoyment of the movie itself.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:29 pm

The problems I had with Jupiter Ascending are myriad, but mostly can be summed up by the fact that it basically seemed like they filmed the first draft of the script. After a few revisions it would have been 158% better. That said, it's almost made up for by Sean Bean saying that bees can sense royalty.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  eventide82 Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:51 pm

We saw American Sniper over the weekend, and even though I wasn't really looking forward to seeing it, I found it engaging and enjoyed it well enough. I thought Bradley Cooper was excellent and his nomination was well deserved. The scene where
Spoiler:

Also, I have lots of thoughts about a beefed up, bearded Bradley Cooper and they are extremely positive ones.
eventide82
eventide82

http://boredomaboundsbyjulia.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:41 am

Over the weekend I went to see Jupiter Ascending, which I was promised was simultaneously the worst and best movie of the year, and also completely nuts.

It delivered in spades, and also clubs, hearts, and diamonds. We've been having One Of Those Winters here in Halifax and this was exactly the kind of sparkly, goodnatured (goodnatured was REALLY IMPORTANT) escapism I did not realize I needed so badly. I liked the characters I was supposed to like, hissed the characters I was supposed to hiss (there was one blow struck by the heroine that was extraordinarily satisfying) and was having far too much fun to quibble about any elements of plot. (Which-- don't you hate it when you're not engaged by a movie and as a result you can't stop noticing plot holes and you just get more and more aggravated?) I have no idea if any of it made sense, I was too busy cheering for Jupiter and her mostly-sensible shoes, and the beautiful effects, and Channing Tatum hustling around on his flying skates like an airborne defenseman and Sean Bean and his perceptive bees. So. Much. Fun. I wanted to hug everybody involved.

It's snowing again, incidentally. Luckily I have one more free movie on my loyalty card-- I may need to see this again!

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:58 pm

AND [spoiler alert, but not really] Sean Bean lives! I'm assuming the bees redirected fate.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:31 pm

I saw Cinderella with my youngest niece this past weekend.  The Frozen short before was adorable, but the movie, while pretty, was a bit of a mess.  They tried to make the transition to servant girl subtle after her father died, but I hated the fact that in this world being "kind" meant letting people abuse you.  You can be kind and loving and take care of everyone without letting assholes walk all over you.  They tried to give her a backbone with her caring about animals, and actually intervening between hunters and a stag, but how can you expect us to believe that she would stand up for an animal in the forest and then go back to letting her step family walk all over her?  The prince was given more back story, and was the most improved character, but I still don't get the larger point from the film.  Have courage and be kind, even if people are hurting you?  Stand up for animals but not yourself!  The prince had the most back bone by far, but still let people talk him into some stupid things.

On a positive note I loved the "look" for the film, and I covet the wedding dress she wore at the end.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:06 pm

I saw It Follows last weekend and it was sufficiently dread inducing, and I liked it a lot, with my only caveat being there is a reason The French and Europeans loved it. It is deliberately paced, and oblique as fuck. But in a good way. Heh.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MichiSichi Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:34 am

So after watching divergent at home we decided to watch insurgent this weekend, it was similar to the first movie, nice to watch ( my husband was a bit bored though) I just enjoyed watching Miles Teller
MichiSichi
MichiSichi

Back to top Go down

Post  BrightEyes Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:14 am

Focus. I thought it was really fun, funny, charming, and well-acted. I was the only one in the theater, so I got to put my feet up and react out loud. It was great! Margot Robbie and Will Smith were awesome, even though he's old enough to be her damn father, but hey, what else is new?

BrightEyes

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:35 pm

bookworm wrote:I saw Cinderella with my youngest niece this past weekend.  The Frozen short before was adorable, but the movie, while pretty, was a bit of a mess.  They tried to make the transition to servant girl subtle after her father died, but I hated the fact that in this world being "kind" meant letting people abuse you.  You can be kind and loving and take care of everyone without letting assholes walk all over you.  They tried to give her a backbone with her caring about animals, and actually intervening between hunters and a stag, but how can you expect us to believe that she would stand up for an animal in the forest and then go back to letting her step family walk all over her?  The prince was given more back story, and was the most improved character, but I still don't get the larger point from the film.  Have courage and be kind, even if people are hurting you?  Stand up for animals but not yourself!  The prince had the most back bone by far, but still let people talk him into some stupid things.

On a positive note I loved the "look" for the film, and I covet the wedding dress she wore at the end.

The wedding dress was superb! For a moment, I thought "how good would I look in that dress?" I would be a lot less corseted however.

I wondered myself how they were going to manage the 'be kind and have courage' message, especially in this day and age when we are actively trying to teach girls not to put up with shit from people. I saw it as her having courage to cope with her new situation after her father died to put up with her stepmother and stepsisters and she says herself that the only reason she's staying is because she's the only one who loves the house as they used to, which is noble in itself and it was a lovely house so...I dunno, property prices are high sky in that area and she'd never find anything better without a mortgage? [/facetious]
But I think she'd reached the end of her tether the night of the ball so had the fairy godmother not appeared, she'd either have quit or broken down.

And you might argue that the 'be kind' message applied to the stepmother as well - Cate Blanchett in fine form. Her costumes were fabulous! If they hadn't been so cruel to Ella, she'd never have gone out that day and met the Prince (presumably) and set the whole thing in motion. And if they had been nicer to her and she had ended up meeting and marrying the Prince, they'd all have shared in her good fortune because Ella didn't seem the type to ditch people once she'd been elevated.

I seem to have given this a lot of thought...

I enjoyed it a lot, I must say. I just went with it and loved the dancing scene between Ella and the Prince - that blue dress was astounding, even if her waist was virtually nothing - and revelled in the whole happy ever after. Because sometimes a girl needs a bit of romance in her life.

I was also delighted to see Nonso Anozie on screen. He was the best thing about the last Dracula TV adaptation.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Cynara Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:46 am

I saw Woman in Gold and it was very moving, pretty much ENTIRELY on the strength of Helen Mirren and Tatiana Maslany's (as Maria's younger self) performances. They genuinely feel like the same person--like, when Maslany shows up, you can feel that this is the same person, just younger. The rest of the movie is just kind of...there (including, I'm sorry to say, Ryan Reynolds), but hell, I cried near the end, and the scene where Maria and her husband escape Austria is brilliantly tense.

Cynara

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Sat May 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Went to see Ex Machina, which was really fantastic. Great performances, excellent script, totally wack things happening. And a very simple moral:
Spoiler:
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Sun May 10, 2015 12:51 pm

I learned from the commercials for that movie that I've been pronouncing 'machina' wrong. (At least in my head - I don't think I've said it out loud much.)

-------

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=604

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40