Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comic Books and Graphic Novels

+25
year of the cat
RiverThames
big chicken
The Dude
pizzagirl20
Lurker
Miss Moneypenny
Dachelle
dday515
Instant Monkeys
oxymoron
Rhilin
vwlphb
Bad Username
Eris Rising
Charishawk
Kiran
Red Wolf
Raksha
punzy
TiffanyNichelle
Menshevixen
narfzz
laddical
Luthien
29 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Page 3 Empty Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  laddical Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:31 pm

It was his terrible Star Wars novels that made me throw up my hands in despair and chuck them out of my house.

Fucking Darksaber. We get not a third but a *fourth* fucking Death Star and he kills off General Crix Madine.

KJA is the Demon Lord of Sci-Fi Tie-In Hackery.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Page 3 Empty Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  Charishawk Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I haven't seen any but the Spider-man ones in the past, but then, I wasn't actively looking for them. FYI, the Civil War book is supposed to be the "launch" title for a new series of Marvel prose novels. So...there will be more to come?

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:10 pm

RE; Kevin J. Anderson - I read his "Saga of the Seven Suns" - and it was actually enjoyable. Big huge space opera. Not going to win any awards, but a great fun read.

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:22 pm

When I was a tweenage person I really liked Anderson's Young Jedi Knights books with Rebecca Moesta, but damn his other SW stuff (and Dune stuff) is just...no.
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  Dachelle Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:37 pm

Dachelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:12 pm

W00t! Thanks for sharing that, Dachelle!

In other things, if you're wondering how the Marvel Civil War prose novel is, here's my review.

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:21 pm

So my new hobby is comic shoes. (Those were for Escape and Punzy, respectively). The problem is that I don't know a whole lot about comics! So can y'all recommend good artists to look out for as I'm digging through the remainder bins? I want to make myself a couple of pairs for New York Comic Con, preferably with Wonder Woman and one or more of the lady Avengers.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:15 pm

The collector in me cringes heavily at the idea of cutting up comics to cover shows. But those are certainly clever. So I suggest Greg Land and Rob Liefeld. The idea of reswiping for the master swiper himself and foot coverings for a man who won't draw feet both have a fun sense of irony.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:24 pm

Red Wolf wrote:The collector in me cringes heavily at the idea of cutting up comics to cover shows. But those are certainly clever. So I suggest Greg Land and Rob Liefeld. The idea of reswiping for the master swiper himself and foot coverings for a man who won't draw feet both have a fun sense of irony.

No, I know enough about comics to know what's ugly. I don't wear ugly.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:04 pm

Yes, true. But the idea of cutting up, say, Alex Ross fills me with horror.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:04 am

Wow, those shoes are absolutely beautiful! I wish I was a better crafter; I'd love to make a pair! I could cut up comics as long as I already had the trade, I usually give individual issues away once I'm done reading them anyway. Thinking about my comics I no longer need but still have kicking around, I could make Last Unicorn shoes, or Darkwing Duck shoes, or Star Trek shoes. The possibilities are endless! Right after I learn to decoupage.

Maybe Land and Liefeld could be used for insoles? That way one could trample all over their work with every step.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:28 am

They are great and I get lots of compliments when I wear them! I will investigate with some friends and see what they recommend. Maybe I can find a Captain America that doesn't look like a potato.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:42 am

Those are AWESOME. And I'd ask you to make me some, but I kind of want to try making them, too! Hmm. Maybe I'll try it. Can I ask you for tips?

Okay, for actual artists I LIKE, (ew Rob Liefeld ew, I'd love cutting his stuff up but I'd never wear it, evaaaaa, I'd start a fire and BURN IT WHEE) for general comics style I'd pick people like Reilly Brown, Patrick Zircher, Ed McGuinness, Dustin Nguyen, Jason Pearson, Salvador Larroca, John Tyler Christopher... for some more stylized comics, Francesco Francavilla does great pulp stuff, and Dave McKean does great slighly surreal beautiful stuff. Charles Vess, too (both Gaiman artists). Mark Buckingham is a main Fables artist and also does more pretty and haunting styles.

Allllso - I'm going to NYCC too! Currently debating whether to get a room or try to crash with friends as I do sometime. I was thinking of looking for people to share a hotel. Any interest? If not, we should totally still meet up if you want!

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks, guys! Here's how to DIY:

Materials: Mod Podge (there are a ton of varieties. Just get the one with the red label. This blog was helpful for learning how to use it.)
Comics, Scissors, Shoes, PATIENCE.

My preferred method is to cut big images for the heel, toe, and sides and fill in the gaps with smaller images and text, because it's quicker to glue and for someone looking down at them to tell what's going on. But I've also seen awesome shoes made from lots of small pieces layered together. I just don't have the time/patience/skill to do something like that. This video shows a cool way to do that.

Cut your picture as close to the shape of the shoe as you can. Take a smallish brush (I just use the cheapest ones I find in the craft store) and put a generous amount of Mod Podge on the back of your image. Wait for a second until the paper is damp, then carefully apply to the shoe, smoothing out with your fingers. You will end up covered in Mod Podge and probably with some creases anyway. No biggie. Cover the shoe and wait for everything to dry, then do 4 or 5 generous top coats of Mod Podge. It goes on opaque but dries clear, so don't freak out if the images seem obscured.

An optional last step is spraying the shoes with acrylic sealant to make them water resistant. This step is stinky and should be done outdoors.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Alright, brace yourself. Recommendations From my comicy friends:

Stuart Immomen, Terry Dodson, Mike Mignola*, Juanjo Guarnido, Yasuhiro Nightow, Takehiko Inoue, Pablo Raimondi, Mike Allred
--
Emily Caroll. Yanick Paquette. Craig Thompson. Mariko Tamaki. Jeff Lemire. Matt Powell. Lucy Knisley. Ramon Perez. Mark Buckingham. J.H Williams III. Yuko Ota.
--
Sean Murphy (Joe the Barbarian, American Vampire)*
Ben Templesmith (30 Days of Night, Choke)
Fabio Moon (Umbrella Academy, Casanova)
Eduardo Risso (100 Bullets, Transmetropolitan)

Most other artists I either like specifically for one thing they've done (Bryan Lee O'Malley for SP, Ramon Perez for Tale of Sand, or Doug TenNapel for stuff he did before he went crazy-borderline-hateful-Christian), or I don't really notice the art because I'm reading it for the story (or I don't know their names off the top of my head, like the artist(s?) doing New Ultimates/Ultimate Avengers right now).
--
Oh, the dude who is doing the American Vampire miniseries is great. Dustin Nguyen I think?
--

* = multiple recommends

If you need/want more, one of them said he could go on forever.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 pm

I think Chris Bachalo and Salvador Larroca have some quite lovely art, too, especially for X-men-related books.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Charishawk Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:27 am

Thanks for the tutorial info, Miss M!

Getting tres excited about my fall cons - Dragon*Con, Baltimore Comic Con, and NYCC! Who else here is going?

Charishawk

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 pm

As another artist rec, I've always loved Jim Lee's work.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:51 pm

I love his shapes, but the man needs to learn when to put the pencil down because lately all his work has *way* too many lines.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:13 pm

An optional last step is spraying the shoes with acrylic sealant to make them water resistant.

Do you have a type you recommend? I just made myself a pair of Archie flats and would like to make sure they're waterproof.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:14 pm

Has anybody here read Ex Machina, by Brian K. Vaughan? If not, put down what you're doing and run, don't walk, to your nearest library or LCS and beg, borrow or steal a copy of the first issue/volume. I can't begin to describe how much I love this book, I don't think I've been so taken with a fictional world since I read the first Harry Potter book.

I'm also slowly working my way through Fables, and I love it. The Big Bad Wolf is in love with Snow White! I'm such a sucker for a brooding antihero on a path to redemption.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:12 pm

I love Fables! If you like Fables, try the Cinderella spin-offs I enjoy those as well. I've never read the spin-off about Jack, but did not really care for the Fables/Jack crossover. A 1,001 Nights of Snowfall is good too and gives a Bigby backstory.

Just re-read Persepolis myself and about to launch into a Sandman re-read since I haven't read them for years and now have figured out how to use interlibrary loan so wont miss any like I did the last time.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 am

I'm not too interested in Jack at the moment, so I might skip his book, but the Cinderella and 1001 Nights of Snowfall spin-offs sound great.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:09 pm

This could just as easily go in Crafts or the pimping thread, but Kelly Sue DeConnick is a sweetheart and put pictures of the Captain Marvel purse I made up on her Tumblr.

On topic: I know Foresthouse and Tiffany are going to New York Comic Con. Any other Snarkers going to be there? This will by my first time and I think I'll only really be doing Friday and Saturday.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 am

So I'm putting together my Christmas wish list and I was wondering which Avengers trades people would recommend. I've only followed the Avengers rather obliquely over the years, so I don't really know what the classic story arcs are. Suggestions, please?

ETA: I just ran across this on tumblr and I just cannot get past the hilarious WTF-ness of it. It gives me so much joy to know this is a thing that actually happened!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next