Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comic Books and Graphic Novels

+25
year of the cat
RiverThames
big chicken
The Dude
pizzagirl20
Lurker
Miss Moneypenny
Dachelle
dday515
Instant Monkeys
oxymoron
Rhilin
vwlphb
Bad Username
Eris Rising
Charishawk
Kiran
Red Wolf
Raksha
punzy
TiffanyNichelle
Menshevixen
narfzz
laddical
Luthien
29 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Page 4 Empty Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  Kiran Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:18 am

I'm going to copy paste the recs I gave someone when the movie first came out:

Avengers Assemble by Kurt Busiek has been collected into volumes. I recommend that. Other collections I recommend are Kree-Skrull War, Avengers Under Siege, the Young Avengers, New Avengers, Avengers Forever, and the Avengers Omnibus which has the original comics. The run that was done by Brian Michael Bendis is also very good. As is Secret Avengers by Ed Brubaker. Search any of these on Amazon, they are there.

The current Avengers/X-men arc has been fun also.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Comic Books and Graphic Novels - Page 4 Empty Re: Comic Books and Graphic Novels

Post  Guest Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:18 pm

Seconding everything Kiran said. The only thing I'd add is 1602, which was an amazing AU, set in the titular year, incorporating all the original core Marvel universe. Just make sure to pick the original series by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert, not the awful knock offs that Marvel has subsequently set in that universe.

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:54 pm

Thanks guys! :D
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 am

Has anyone been reading Avengers Assemble? I feel like the first story arc was intended to bring in fans of the movie, since it's got the movie lineup and they fight Thanos and the Guardians of the Galaxy get involved. It was fine, I liked it well enough. But with issue #9 Kelly Sue Deconnik takes over and it's SO FUN! I laughed so much through #9, right up until Shit Gets Serious. And even now that Shit Is Serious, it's still fun and witty. I love her, she's great (she's on this episode of Matt & Brett Love Comics and is really fun. Plus, they have Planetary for their book club pick!).

And apparently, she's married to Matt Fraction who is responsible for the Hawkeye solo book, which I'm enjoying the hell out of and which includes my single favorite panel in months.

I'm also really enjoying the current lineup of adjectiveless X-Men lately, but it sounds like Domino is thinking of leaving, which bums me out. I love her.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Today is the 90th birthday of Stan "The Man" Lee!
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:04 pm

TiffanyNichelle wrote:Today is the 90th birthday of Stan "The Man" Lee!

He walked past me at NY ComicCon. I was briefly in the glow of his aura and it was wonderful.

So I'm using my Xmas money to catch up on Captain Marvel, pick up all of Hawkeye and start on the new issues of Avengers Assemble. Apparently I'll be funding the DeConnick/Fraction household this month.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:28 pm

I picked up Hawkeye last month and am so happy about it. Just a really fun series.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  pizzagirl20 Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Hawkeye is just so fun. Matt Fraction's Tumblr is also fun because he'll answer questions people will submit. He's hinted about some upcoming storylines that sound awesome, and I'm looking forward to them!

I'm also looking forward to the next issue of Winter Soldier. I can't remember if this issue or next issue is Brubaker's last, but I know it's coming soon. I hope whomever is taking it over maintains the high standards that seem to have been set. As I'm not completely convinced on this new take on Captain America post-Brubaker, but we're only 2 issues in.
pizzagirl20
pizzagirl20

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:30 am

The Dark Knight Returns: CliffsNotes Version

Funny that Willis is interpreting TDKR as a predecessor to current conservative politics (at least as seen by some liberals such as Willis himself - and myself, in the interests of disclosure) given that current conservatives have a mad-on for Ronald Reagan and TDKR was very anti-Reagan.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am

If you have a great deal of patience and good luck, you can get every issue #1 from Marvel, over 700 comics, for free. Supposedly through tonight, but I'm hoping they'll extend it since their server is absolutely not keeping up with the demand.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:55 am

Marvel Comics the Untold Story was a good read. It concentrates a great deal on Kirby and the rights issue, characterizes John Byrne as something other than the worst person on earth.

The great things are a rant on Cris Claremont's repetitive themes, Liefeld's hubris and all the insane stories of Perlmutter being cheap.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:05 pm

And now the Marvel Issue #1 sale is on pause until they sort out their server issues, and you can enter an email address to be notified when it starts back up again.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:53 pm

Ball State University is offering a free online course called Gender Through Comics. It runs from April 2 to May 10.

The course, led by Christina Blanch of Ball State University, uses a study of comic books incorporating highly interactive video lectures, online discussions between students, and real-time socially driven interviews. Interviews with the comic industry's biggest names such as Terry Moore, Brian K Vaughan, Mark Waid, as well as others address questions of gender representations and constructions involving both men and women.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:29 pm

So, ComicsAlliance has apparently been unceremoniously taken out back and shot. The site is still live, but it won't have any further updates, not even to say, "Hey, we've been shut down."

This is sad and distressing.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Because AOL couldn't think of any other way to remind people that they still exist? (As a shambling, dessicated husk that should probably be introduced to Daryl Dixon and his crossbow....)
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Not that I've ever actually used the site, but why has it been shut down? All the comments about it have been about how it's so good, it'll be missed, etc. Like, it's still useful and such.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:17 am

I don't know if there's been an official announcement, but apparently it sort of got axed along with a bunch of music and video blogs. It's sort of baffling. I loved Comics Alliance movie reviews, so it looks like I might need to go through and save them. It was really one of the only comic sites I bothered with, so this kind of blows.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:12 am

Okay, that just pushes the question back. Anyone know why AOL is going through and shutting all these things down?

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Wed May 01, 2013 10:16 am

Chris seems to know as much as we do:nuttin
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Mon May 20, 2013 2:35 pm

If you missed out on the Marvel Issue #1 sale, you can at least get five of the Marvel Now issue 1s by going to http://www.marvel.com/redeem and using the code "IronManRules" (code works until May 31).

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Wed May 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Posted on ComicAlliance on Monday: Best use of Dark Knight Returns Panel in a while....
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue May 28, 2013 9:24 pm

The first panel here is cracking my shit up. I can't get enough of it. Superman has accidentally murdered his own wife and unborn child which triggered a nuclear device that destroyed Metropolis. He's gone on a "Violent Solutions First" war against "injustice" of any kind across the globe, starting with punching the Joker right through the chest in front of Batman. The US government, afraid of what this GRIMDARK Superman is going to do to them, attempts to get leverage on him by attacking the elder Kents with Mirror Master's technology. All of this has happened to Superman...

... and yet...

...damned if he isn't just pleased as punch to see Lex Luthor. I don't know what makes me laugh more - the surprise lines around their faces or the cheese-eating grins.

At its "HoYayest", I don't think there was ever a moment of Smallville that was quite as gay as that panel. And I dug the HoYay on that show. But it is so desperately out of place in the Injustice story.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 pm

I would think Lex Luthor's contingency plan would be better than "Keep Jesse Quick on retainer to run me out of danger if things go south."
RiverThames
RiverThames

Back to top Go down

Post  Rhilin Tue May 28, 2013 10:13 pm

Injustice continues to find new ways to be hilarious and terrible. I mean, this is also the comic where Dick Grayson/Nightwing died by tripping and falling on a rock. So.

Rhilin

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Thu May 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Which is why there is: Has DC done something stupid today
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next