Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Psychotic Fans

+117
emrie
maxell131313
naughty zoot
CindyMc
Mulva
Snarker
DaenarysQueenoftheYumYums
chibimanda
Sheli
LadyGayle
Raised by wolves
Nerg
Tabby
katbeth
SarahJanet
Gallifrey Girl
Carrie Ann
Jessica
eco
mokey75
punkysdilemma
greensock
Swarley
mayram
BloozyTunes
Lis
Matinee
Never Enough
oxymoron
Lily Rose
Jude
vwlphb
Skyblade
Melk
Gillian
Arabella
xyzzy
Dachelle
easybreezy
dionneshea
Escape
mandalaya
Grainne Mhaol
The Dude
VictorLaszlo
puddingcup
nazlan
Agent Sculder
salamandersam
Red Wolf
Kookla
Bob Genghis Khan
Renny Sue
Corvus
Wildog27
Coneycat
Menshevixen
dinahmoe
darthtall
sen3
mozzarella
slmader
Charishawk
Jasmine
queenofdenile
QueenSix
Decca
allochthonous
TiffanyNichelle
punzy
Binky
MtOlivePickles
Cutebutpsycho
Morning Angel
ulkis
Pop'n'Fresh
katha
Kiran
Eris Rising
bookworm
Miss Moneypenny
preciosa
gannetguts
Scarlettfish
ActonBell
Luthien
inversed
Raksha
year of the cat
Unlucky Bear
particle_person
VodouDoll
demgirl
bbridges
curryalley
sagitare
YanaMei
laddical
mrinsouciance
NewYorkStranger
dreago
PrincessCleo
The Glen
blixie
Instant Monkeys
biakbiak
whatthedeuce
Cynara
SelfAmused
Esseilte
Rhilin
swsa
Putli Bai
blooey
big chicken
Poubelle
Gilraen
121 posters

Page 3 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next

Go down

Psychotic Fans - Page 3 Empty Re: Psychotic Fans

Post  preciosa Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:58 am

Y'all I have a psychotic fan in my life and her obsession is starting to creep me out a little. Just a little.....

She's a HUGE gleek. Like HUGE. No one is allowed to talk during the episode and eventually she stopped watching with us because we criticised stupid plot points. She gets into huge arguments with people if they say anything negative about the show or the actors. She once had a screaming match at a party with another guest because they said they didn't like Lea Michele. She will blow us off (not go to parties, events) with us so she can stay home and look for glee things on Tumblr or read fanfiction. I love the girl, but needless to say, this is a part of her life that concerns me. A lot. It's like watching someone fall deeper and deeper into a rabbit hole.

preciosa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:34 pm

preciosa, has your friend seemed otherwise like her normal self? I know the one time I went too far down the fandom rabbit hole, it was because I was experiencing the worst bout of depression I've ever dealt with -- losing myself in the fantasy of the show was a way to escape and not deal with the depression.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:55 pm

ActonBell wrote:preciosa, has your friend seemed otherwise like her normal self? I know the one time I went too far down the fandom rabbit hole, it was because I was experiencing the worst bout of depression I've ever dealt with -- losing myself in the fantasy of the show was a way to escape and not deal with the depression.

Ditto. For me, once I made some changes in my life, I got out of the fandom crazy naturally.

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  preciosa Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:58 pm

Gilraen wrote:
ActonBell wrote:preciosa, has your friend seemed otherwise like her normal self? I know the one time I went too far down the fandom rabbit hole, it was because I was experiencing the worst bout of depression I've ever dealt with -- losing myself in the fantasy of the show was a way to escape and not deal with the depression.

Ditto. For me, once I made some changes in my life, I got out of the fandom crazy naturally.
Hmmm. I'd never considered that aspect of it. She seems fine as long as other things are being discussed but I don't think I've ever had a conversation with her where Glee or Lea Michele isn't brought up at least once. Maybe she's depressed or maybe she just has an obsessive personality? I dunno. I'll have to work at figuring it out though before she like...moves to LA to stalk the cast or something.

preciosa

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Tim Tebow? Probably a decent guy. Tim Tebow fans? Psychotic. (Also, something about people trying to threaten an old, Irish Catholic, sportswriter with eternal damnation is hilarious to me.)
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bookworm Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Yeah, I don't get all the Tim Tebow hate, and I honestly think a lot of the animosity is directed towards his fans more than anything else.
bookworm
bookworm

Back to top Go down

Post  preciosa Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:32 pm

bookworm wrote:Yeah, I don't get all the Tim Tebow hate, and I honestly think a lot of the animosity is directed towards his fans more than anything else.
Well his fans and his association with FOF.

preciosa

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:48 pm

The man invites a certain amount of mockery, but the level of vitriol does seem a bit OTT.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 pm

My issues with him are mostly to do with like its been said his association with FoF. And the attempts to brand praying which are just really icky to me. Although that might be more his fanbase then him.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:08 pm

Eris Rising wrote:The man invites a certain amount of mockery, but the level of vitriol does seem a bit OTT.

The column that got the hate mail wasn't even mocking Tebow. It just pointed out that, you know, he got sacked five times and threw for all of 20 yards in the first half. I can't imagine what would have happened if Bob Ryan had really gone after him. Pitchforks and torches, possibly.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 pm

Whether it's Tebow or his fans or some combination of both, as a Christian I am personally offended by the notion that God gives a damn about some football game while there are.... (take your pick of global human sufferings)... that Christians should be spending their energy focused on.

Said as someone who loves watching the game... but can't stand religious grandstanding of any sort, especially over something as trivial as scoring a touchdown.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  katha Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:03 pm

I don't know if it qualifies for this thread, but things like that apparently flew under my radar for all this time before and it creeps me out. And it's one of the reasons why I'm kind of wary to get too much into the Sherlock fandom...So there turned up fake twitter accounts for Cumberbatch, Freeman and I think also for Andrew Scott. And this seems like it happens to famous people all the time? This is so scary to me. I mean, in this case the fakes are obvious and most people aren't taken in (though this kind of thing seems almost designed to lure very young fans, another reason why I find it scary...). But the principle of the thing...Man.

Having someone pretend to be you, saying all kinds of things in your name. And twitter doesn't seem all that great about dealing with this stuff and shutting it down. This would be my worst nightmare.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:36 pm

Oh, that happens all the time. Happens a lot in Doctor Who fandom too. I think everyone on that show has a few impersonators. There was a kerfuffle recently when a Billie Piper account everyone thought was real (even some of her friends, in-laws and co-workers), got outed as being fake. This person had access to so many private pics and so much info about her daily schedule, it was terrifying. They put in an amazing amount of work impersonating her. Then there's a Turkish fan who keeps creating fake Twitter and Facebook profiles pretending to be David Tennant's wife, and also creates fake profiles for David himself and for her young son (and posts lovey dovey back and forths between them). They get deleted each time, but each time they start again a couple of months later. What's weird is that even when friends of hers contact the person to ask them to stop, they will reply saying, "I am Real Georgia!!" and will get really angry and insist they really are her. It's like they're living out some delusional fantasy of actually being her. Freaky. A few years ago there was another person impersonating her on FB in order to try to friend their family and friends, so they could get access to private pics and info about their schedules and things, which is really stalkerish. What's weird is even the most poorly done fakes, the ones from people who barely speak English or misspell the names of the celebs they're impersonating, with be deluged with messages from fans saying, "OMG you're on FB, I love you, please send me an autograph."

The flipside is that fandom sort of unites against them and will out and harass the fakers into deleting their profiles if FB won't.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:40 pm

I've never actually come across them, but Gillian Anderson's camp has to fairly frequently reiterate the message that she is not on Facebook or Twitter and that anyone saying she is has a fake account.

And yeah, it never ceases to amaze me how the most vaguely celebrity-themed website will get e-mails from people saying "can you tell so-and-so to send me an autograph???"
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  katha Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:51 pm

Yeah, there seems to be a level of delusion involved when people call them out and they get angry and upset. Stealing other people's identities is A-OK, but don't hurt their pwecious feelings. And there's always people defending them and insisting that they're real? Even though official sources like Gatiss and Mofatt denounced them. It's a strange and scary aspect of fame IMO.

ETA: Oh, and apparently there's also a fake Moffat tweet about Sherlock and John's "true love" going around, so many people believed it that they even asked Moffat about it. So no matter what you do as a famous person is "wrong": If you're not on any social networking media, you'll get impostors. If you are, people will harrass you or find some way to use even your openness and availability against you.

katha

Back to top Go down

Post  PrincessCleo Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:02 pm

Actually, I just saw a Narnia-themed version of this the other day--a Will Poulter account and a Georgie Henley account started accusing each other of being fake. Except that then Will Poulter took a picture of himself with a sign all like "DOWN WITH FAKE TWITTER ACCOUNTS"--it really was his.
PrincessCleo
PrincessCleo
Admin

http://http;//cleolinda.livejournal.com

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:17 pm

I don't even know who Will Poulter is, but that's a pretty cool story. I knew some celebs had trouble with people setting up fake accounts, but I never knew it was so common and out of control in many cases. That one about Billie Piper is rather horrifying, Pop'n'Fresh. Did they find out how that person got access to Billie's private pix and schedule? Was it someone who worked production on a show with Billie or just a striaght-up stalker? I can't imagine what would be worse: someone you actually know and are in close contact with doing all that weird crap...or a plain stranger who you might see anywhere at anytime and knows so much about you.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:55 am

I think they got the private pics from her sister's Facebook, because the sister apparently will accept friend requests from anyone. As for her schedule, that was likely just a case of spending a great deal of time scouring Twitter, youropenbook, forums, etc. etc. Not knowing her daily schedule in the sense of knowing that she got a latte at 9.22, just in the sense of generally knowing where she was, when she was doing photoshoots, filming, etc. Twitter by itself is scary in that respect since it's really easy to keep tabs on what celebs are doing. I swear every time David Tennant steps out of his house, someone tweets it.

Actually, this is pretty funny: some fans created a spoof Proclaimers fansite (the band DT is famously massively obsessed with) supposedly run by DT himself. I mean, there's a disclaimer that it's not really his and is a joke and everything. But they still get messages from fans who think it is his.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:25 pm

Man, those DW people sure do get their fair share of crazies. Anyone willing to star on that show from here on out better have a strong stomach for insanity!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 am

It amazes me how with fans (in general) it's either-or with actors playing on on-screen couple. If they say they don't hang out outside of work it means they HATE each other and if they give each a hug it means they're screwing around with each other, no matter if they have spouses, children. I just am venting because I was trying to make someone who believed the former see reason. Mistake!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Morning Angel Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:53 am

I was never aware that Doctor Who had crazy fans, but I was listening to David Tennant on The Nerdist podcast, and while he was was very kind about fans, but he did sound a little freaked out by some of it (rightly so!). Someone had sent him links to the more NC-17 fanfiction out there. Ick. He said there is no way he would never join Twitter less he felt like being stalked constantly or something to that effect.
Morning Angel
Morning Angel

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:48 pm

ulkis wrote:It amazes me how with fans (in general) it's either-or with actors playing on on-screen couple. If they say they don't hang out outside of work it means they HATE each other and if they give each a hug it means they're screwing around with each other, no matter if they have spouses, children. I just am venting because I was trying to make someone who believed the former see reason. Mistake!

I remember David Duchovny trying to explain in an interview why he and Gillian Anderson didn't go out of their way to socialize off the set. "We see each other six days a week for 12 hours a day. If you were around the same person all the time like that, wouldn't you want to talk to other people?" Only in the acting profession are peope expected to be BFFs with their co-workers.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I wonder if the feeling that you're supposed to be BFFs is the idea that you're working so closely and intensely with someone that it starts feeling like friendship and then more (and then someone now inserts the "NOW KISS" gif here for the fans).

Personally, when I had days like that, I wanted to flee my job and get away from everyone and talk to someone new.

It's just really weird now. I'm from the era where you really didn't talk to celebs, other than a letter, etc. Now there's twitter, facebook and all of this and while some of the engagement is fun, I wonder if it gets overwhelming at times -- just the fact that you have to have your public face on all the time.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  MtOlivePickles Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:11 am

I guess it's that there's something empowering about being able to somewhat interact with celebrities. I joke that it's strange to know that we now live in a world where your childhood celebrity crush is theoretically a @ Twitter name away, and if you think about it, it really is. I don't even want to imagine how I would have behaved during my high fangirl days if there had been Twitter in 1998. I was reading someone's blog or a gossip post somewhere that was talking about all the horrible tweets that fans of some British boy band were sending to the girlfriend of one of the group's members. And when Glee first started, I know there were fans who would tweet Dianna Agron links to RPF about her and Lea Michele. On one hand, that closeness does add a new layer of intimacy, but on the other, it allows some of the more fervent and just plain weird fans to let their freak flags fly.

MtOlivePickles

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:13 am

Cutebutpsycho wrote:It's just really weird now. I'm from the era where you really didn't talk to celebs, other than a letter, etc. Now there's twitter, facebook and all of this and while some of the engagement is fun, I wonder if it gets overwhelming at times -- just the fact that you have to have your public face on all the time.
Yes! So many celebs probably feel tons of pressure to constantly interact with their fanbase. Obviously, no one's obligated to, but I'm sure PR people and stuff probably encourage celebs (especially those who attract a younger audience) to keep in touch with their fans regularly through a Twitter or whatever. In this day and age, it's way easier for celebs to find out just how many scary fan (if any) that they have. That could be entertaining but also creepy and daunting. Plus, with so many more media outlets in play, there are also higher odds of celebs getting caught doing or saying things that get blown way out of proportion. Celebs can't really make mistakes anymore without the entire world finding out about it even if it's a private matter that nobody should have any right to know about, much less judge.

Last edited by whatthedeuce on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 33 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 33  Next