Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harry Potter (Spoilers)

+57
gannetguts
Gillian
Matinee
naughty zoot
Melk
Kiran
SNeaker
Cynara
Author By Night
Gallifrey Girl
snorf
PineappleGirl
SarahJanet
maxell131313
QueenSix
UmaOprah
Tabby
Poubelle
Red Wolf
VodouDoll
Nerg
Crowbridge
RiverThames
Instant Monkeys
ulkis
jstilwe
vwlphb
Arabella
Wildog27
Shadowlass
particle_person
mialoubug
ActonBell
PrincessCleo
Evil Lincoln
roly
Unlucky Bear
Gilraen
TiffanyNichelle
Algae
terriem
allochthonous
big chicken
narfzz
MLIS
philophobe
Scarlettfish
Jasmine
queenofdenile
Francie Nolan
laddical
SelfAmused
inversed
epudom
Carrie Ann
biakbiak
BreezyK
61 posters

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Harry Potter (Spoilers) Empty Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Post  BreezyK Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:58 pm

J.K. Rowling considered killing Ron

That was my biggest fear through the entire wait for the last 3 books - as soon as people started dying. I'm glad she didn't do it - I just don't think Harry could have ever gotten over it.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Harry Potter (Spoilers) Empty Re: Harry Potter (Spoilers)

Post  biakbiak Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:10 pm

I wonder if the reason she reconsidered is because she wanted to limit the number of death threats, security issues, and vitriol that would have been hurled at her!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:36 pm

Before I clicked that link, I assumed she considered killing him in Book 7. Which would have been terrible of course, but I could understand it and was anticipating something like that. I can't believe she thought about killing him off mid-way through the series! Holy crap. His story is so critical to the latter books, and to Harry's growth as well. I can't imagine. I feel like Harry would never get over something like that. He was so devastated about Sirius, but they barely knew each other.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  epudom Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:10 pm

If she'd killed Ron, I might've become one of those psycho fans, made worse by the fact I lived in the same city as Rowling and would've started frequenting the cafes she went to, just waiting to shout at her in grief.
epudom
epudom

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:32 pm

Oh good lord. I lost it over Fred, I cannot imagine the hysterics if she'd killed Ron!

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  SelfAmused Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 pm

I was actually (pleasantly) surprised when she didn't. I had been expecting it since seeing Mrs. Weasley's boggart and Harry's reaction to it. If she had to go with one of the trio, I would rather it be Hermione. Ron, at least, provided Harry with a surrogate family.

SelfAmused

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:39 pm

His honorary membership in the Weasley family wouldn't have gone away if Ron died. If anything, I think it would have moved the Weasley's to embrace Harry even tighter.

Somehow, it never crossed my mind that any of the trio were ever in any real danger (other than, possibly, Harry himself - but then only in the way it played out, with Harry having to die to kill Voldemort but then coming back).
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Francie Nolan Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:53 pm

I always lived in fear that she would kill off Ron. I got into the series a year or so before OotP, and each time a book came out, I was pleasantly surprised that Ron was still alive at the end. Shortly before book 6 was released, I had an epic dream in which Ron died in some sort of jungle battle. There were vines and giant trees involved, but I was never able to remember exactly what happened. When I came home from buying DH, I clicked on The Leaky Cauldron for one last time before I started reading, and there was a picture of Ron on the banner. I wasconvinced that this meant that Ron was dead and that it was, like, a memorial. (I was running on very little sleep, mind you). So I spent all of DH steeling myself for Ron's imminent demise, and was once again pleasantly surprised by his continuing to live. I think, back in the day, I had read some theory that Ron sacrificing himself in the chess game in SS foreshadowed his eventual sacrifice for Harry, and I bought it hook, line, and sinker. At least I didn't fall for Dumble!Ron?

Francie Nolan

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Oh good lord. I lost it over Fred, I cannot imagine the hysterics if she'd killed Ron!

Seconded.

I am interested that she thought of killing him when she "wasn't in a happy place." That is one damn dark place, Jo!
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Here's more! I always kind of thought that Hagrid might die, so it's so interesting hearing about what saved him. But I'm still bitter about Lupin. He was never one of my favorite characters, but in rereading the series, his story is just so incredibly sad. I wanted him to finally be happy.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarlettfish Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:29 pm

I just always assumed that the Trio were safe. Glad she didn't kill Ron - the books wouldn't have been the same.

Scarlettfish

Back to top Go down

Post  philophobe Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:26 am

Considering that she had no problem killing off well-loved characters I didn't think a single person was safe, including the trio. I was half-convinced that she was going to kill Harry.

philophobe

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 am

I remember being worried about both Harry and Ron, but never Hermione. Not that I love her any less, but for some reason, I always thought she was safe.

Before Deathly Hallows came out, I was a little skeptical of the worry that there would be a bloodbath in the book simply because Rowling had a penchant for "killing off so many characters." Maybe because I'm a George R.R. Martin fan and I was thinking that people had no idea what a real bloodbath was. Or maybe because Dumbledore dying was always a given and it was only the manner of his death that shocked me. Either way, I was skeptical until I got to the chapter where Hedwig was killed. THEN I started to worry for everyone.

I also remember breathing a sigh of relief when George lost his ear. "Oh good, one of the twins is seriously maimed! That means they'll both escape death." HA! *sob*
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:24 am

philophobe wrote:I was half-convinced that she was going to kill Harry.

Well she did sort of kill him, right? In that he had to "die" for a while to have the conversation with Dumbledore. I always thought that Harry did die there and go to a sort of purgatory place for a while and then he decided to come back. There is a sentence in there that made it seem like Harry had the choice to either go back or "move beyond."

The "Ron sacrificed himself for Harry in the chess game" theory was the one that got me too! And I have to admit, I thought it would have been cool if the DumbleRon theory was correct!

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:52 pm

Yeah, when she killed Hedwig so early in the last book, I kind of figured no one was safe and it would be a total bloodbath, but really it ended up not being so many main characters as I thought (lots of people died, but many were either minor characters or mentioned "off screen," so to speak, so it ended up not being as traumatic as I was afraid it would be).

I never believed she would kill Harry, and I didn't really think she would kill Ron or Hermione, either. I worried about other characters, but not them. It's interesting to read that she thought about killing Ron half way through -- I never would have thought that (even if I thought she would do it in the last book), as the dynamics of the trio through the series were so vital ... they all had their roles to play and their jobs to do, and removing Ron half way through would totally change that. Interesting.

I never believed the DumbleRon theory, but I think it's my favourite of all the wild theories that went around before the final book. I had a half baked theory myself about how Dudley got a letter from Hogwarts but Petunia and Vernon refused to send him, so I was disappointed when they all disappeared in the first chapter and were never heard from again.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  narfzz Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:07 pm

It never occurred to me that JKR even considered killing off any of the trio. Now I am so so happy she decided not to kill Ron. I can't imagine how the series would have ended otherwise, not to mention my poor traumatized heart probably wouldn't have forgiven her.

On the DVD, Rowling shares with Radcliffe that when she created Lupin’s character, she planned for him to survive the finale. While the author has said as much in other interviews, here, she elaborates, explaining that she changed her mind when she realized that her last Harry Potter story was really about war, and that “one of the most horrifying things about war is how it leaves children fatherless and motherless.” The most powerful way she could dramatize that idea, she says, was to kill a set of parents that were dear to readers. “I had no intention of killing [Lupin],” says Rowling. “But then it dawned on me he had to die.”

I always hated the fact that she killed off both Lupin and Tonks but her reasoning for doing so made perfect sense. Reading this article have finally made me accept that. *sigh* I was really rooting for him to have a happy ending, he deserved it so much.

narfzz

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:09 pm

The one death I still haven't gotten over is Hedwig. I loved that owl.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:12 am

I love the DumbleRon theory so much. SO MUCH. I never thought it was real, but God it is awesome.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:46 am

DumbleRon for me epitomises everything that is great about internet fandom. Constructing wildly entertaining and slightly bonkers theories on evidence that, while meticulously documented is nonetheless highly tenuous, is one of the most enjoyable bits of hanging out with other fans, and no one (AFAIK) went batshit and committed pseuicide when DumbleRon never happened.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  terriem Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:42 am

I feel like my Snarkfest membership is going to revoked for asking this, but what is Dumbleron? Google helpfully assumes I meant Dumbleton, a quaint village in the Cotswolds.

terriem

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:50 am

Others can explain it better, but it's basically the theory that Dumbledore and Ron were the same person, aided by Time Travel.
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:01 am

I loved the DumbleRon theory. It cracked me up. I wouldn't have been mad if it had happened.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Gilraen Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:09 am

I liked Dumbleron too. It was a nice change of pace from "Ron is going to turn traitor and then behead Harry in a highly symbolic manner."

Gilraen

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:49 am

Here is a link that explains some of itDumbleron Although, the part that always stuck with me that's not included there is that Ron and Dumbledore both had red hair.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:21 pm

Does Ron hate maroon socks because he will one day be MAROONED in time?

I big pink heart that theory. It really is a good example of the times when internet fandom is fun and crazy, instead of embarassing and crazy.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 7 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next