Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

eBooks and eReaders

+47
Matinee
mokey75
mialoubug
Lurker
bbridges
Raksha
allochthonous
Gallifrey Girl
Unlucky Bear
laddical
choubetcha
MaddyCat
Gilraen
mortalmax
EggSpreader
Kookla
boutros boutros kitty
Simbelmyne
Renny Sue
gannetguts
Gillian
nikita
GeneralErin
Cynara
punkysdilemma
vwlphb
UmaOprah
Corellderaan
Jude
lil d
Instant Monkeys
jstilwe
rivki8699
tothemax
big chicken
Jasmine
paablish
Lily Rose
SelfAmused
Swarley
Algae
punzy
alexdegenhardt
philophobe
particle_person
maxell131313
truecrystal
51 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

eBooks and eReaders - Page 5 Empty Re: eBooks and eReaders

Post  allochthonous Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:21 pm

Given that I am waiting on my fourth replacement kindle (keyboard; maybe the fire screens are tougher) in six months, and its predecessors all snuffed it via minor knocks (one was actually in a case at the time), I would say yes, get a case. And possibly some kid gloves too. /bitter
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:32 pm

I have a screen protector for my iPhone, but mostly what it does as far as I'm concerned is keep the screen from getting all fingerprinty. I also have a hard case for it, but sometimes I feel like its main purpose is to keep the screen protector from peeling off.

I bought a case (the kind that closes like a book) for my Kindle, but then I got a GelaSkin for it, and putting it in the case kind of messed it up, so I basically abandoned the case. Plus, the case made it like, four times the volume; my Kindle is so thin and light that carrying around this big case seemed to defeat the purpose. Now I just carry the Kindle plain in my bag (usually in between a couple magazines or something, but not necessarily), and it's been fine. Also, since I don't ever have to touch the screen (this is the e-ink one, not the Fire), a screen protector seems unnecessary.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:00 pm

I have cases for both my Kindle and my Kindle Fire, and I think it's saved me a few times when one or the other has slipped out of my hand and fallen on the floor. I like my Kindle case (it's the lighted one -- SO glad I invested!), but I don't like my Kindle Fire case (a Marware) very much. It looks good, but has this weird loading in that if I attach it to the right side of the case where it seems it's supposed to be, the ON button is on top, so that when I turn it on, the screen is then upside down. Of course, it will right itself automatically in a few seconds, but it irritates me nonetheless. But that's the way the clips are in the case, so I don't have much choice.

Also, it's not made to stand up very well, so if I'm watching a video or something in landscape mode, I have to prop the Kindle Fire up against something to keep it upright. So one of these days I'm going to have to invest in a better one that allows me to prop the thing.

I hate when things end up costing me more money.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:52 pm

I wasn't sure where else to put this, so I'll just leave it here: This is the best Kickstarter project I've seen in a long time.

Singularity & Co. are starting a "Save the Sci-Fi" project to re-publish out of print sci-fi in ebook and online format, for little or no cost. What an awesome idea!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:25 pm

That is an awesome project. This is exactly what I wanted out of ebook publishing. Things that have been lost or there wasn't much call to keep in print getting exposed to the world.
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 am

Singularity & Co. are starting a "Save the Sci-Fi" project to re-publish out of print sci-fi in ebook and online format, for little or no cost. What an awesome idea!
Oh, how cool!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:46 pm

okay, after moving countless boxes of books, I have decided I need to get some kind of e book device. Is there a huge difference between the nook tablet and the kindle? I need something I can see clearly, use to go online overseas, and get books from the library. I'm an amazon prime member, but people are always giving me Barnes and Nobles gift cards, and I cannot buy any more books.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:28 am

I guess the first thing is to decide if you want e-ink or an LCD screen. Try both if you can. Maybe borrow a friend's device for an hour. You need to read it long enough to know if the type of screen bothers your eyes.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:17 am

Lurker wrote:
okay, after moving countless boxes of books, I have decided I need to get some kind of e book device. Is there a huge difference between the nook tablet and the kindle? I need something I can see clearly, use to go online overseas, and get books from the library. I'm an amazon prime member, but people are always giving me Barnes and Nobles gift cards, and I cannot buy any more books.

You can do all of those things with both, I think, so honestly I think it's a difference between how you feel about handling the readers (I love love the e-ink screen) and whether B&N or Amazon has more of the books that you're looking for/free classics, etc.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:18 am

I have both a Nook and a Kindle, though not the tablets. I chose the readers over tablets because I personally find that e-ink is much easier on my eyes. However, most people I know with an e-reader have a tablet (Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire) and seem to be very happy with them so definitely do as p_p suggests and check your tolerance level. If you're planning on using the device for internet browsing and you don't mind LCD, I would go tablet for sure. I have never really used my Nook for internet browsing because it's incredibly cumbersome. Not sure that my Kindle even offers the capability.

As far as library, both devices can do library books now. The process for the Kindle is a snap; you click a couple of buttons and it shows up wirelessly on your device. The Nook is a little bit more of a pain. It uses Adobe Epub for its ebooks so you need a wired connection to your computer to download from the library.

Two caveats! First, a small number of Kindle books do require you to have a wired connection. I believe it depends on the agreement with the publisher. I encounter this rarely though. Second, though I would say that the library offers both Epub and Kindle formats for 85-90% of its selection, there ARE some books that are offered in epub only. Taking a quick look at my Adobe Digital Editions, I see that recently I had to download Age of Miracles, The House of Velvet and Glass, and a couple of romance novels as epub because Kindle was not offered. You can't read epubs on a Kindle so you have to either have a Nook or just read on your computer.

I find that overall I slightly prefer reading on my Nook, but because I obtain 99% of my ebooks from the library, I have mostly switched to the Kindle just because the downloading is so easy.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:04 am

I have a first generation Nook and a Kindle Fire, and while I prefer reading on the Nook, I use the Kindle Fire way more. Since I'm pretty much always near a wireless hotspot, I can watch tv shows or movies with Prime, surf the web with pretty fast and good results, or play games.

Before you buy, look into seeing if the Nook Color will work (I mean, it will work, but if you can download books) overseas, because I know with some of the earlier generations they had problems with that.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:40 pm

I think if you're going to go with a Nook Tablet or Kindle Fire, consider getting the Google Nexus instead. Since the tablet versions don't have a special screen for reading, all you're getting is a crippled android tablet. The Google Nexus 7 tablet has better specs for the same price.

One thing I like about having an android tablet instead of the Nook or Kindle tablets is that B&N has a Nook app and Amazon has a Kindle app, so I can shop from both stores and get the best price. (Especially nice for comics, where B&N has an exclusive on Marvel and Amazon has an exclusive on DC.) The only disadvantage is that you can't watch Amazon Prime movies on it, but you can watch youtube, hulu, netflix, and HBOGO/xfinity play/whatever your cable package might provide.

But if you really want it to replace books, I recommend getting an e-ink device. I read a lot on computers and tablets, but when I'm sitting down with a book, I want to read on my E-Ink Kindle, because it feels like a book.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:09 pm

I own a 2nd gen Kindle and an iPad 2, and the Kindle just sits there these days. I read everything on the iPad now. However, my eyes never hurt from reading LCD displays; my objection to reading on the laptop was always the awkward shape, not the screen itself. The only time I use the Kindle is when I want to read outdoors, because the iPad doesn't work there at all. (I second vwl on the Google tablet, by the way, unless you buy an iPad. It's really nice to have a choice of stores.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Lurker Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:18 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will go try a few out. I haven't heard anything about the google tablet so will research that as well.

Lurker

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:39 pm

So who else has been waiting for discounting to take effect now that agency pricing is out for Hachette, Harper, and S&S? The recent settlement gave them 30 days to break their collusive pricing arrangements. This morning, I noticed Amazon had dropped the price of three HarperCollins ebooks on my wishlist! I guess it's starting? I checked BooksonBoard to see if the same books were now eligible for their rewards program and it hasn't happened yet but I will keep checking (obsessively).

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:32 pm

The new Kindle Fire HD looks so pretty. I got the Fire when it first came out last November but this is making me want to toss it aside and build a shrine to the new Fire. 64GB! Dual Band Support! Booming Sound! 4G! I have no idea what some of it even means but PRETTY! I'm not even in college right now but I've been looking at nursing text books and thinking about how pretty they would be on the thing. It hadn't even occurred to me how useful ereaders would be to a college student.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:51 pm

I have a lot of textbooks on my iPad in PDF form, and they are quite useful. I think on the Fire you would only be able to see one page of an un-reformatted textbook at a time (in portrait mode). On the iPad I can see two full pages in landscape quite readably, but it's a little on the small side. Frankly I wish the iPad were a little BIGGER not a little smaller as all the rumors have been suggesting.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:53 am

When there's a footnote in an ebook, WHY does it flip you to the end of the book like an effing paper book instead of making a popup bubble with the footnote in it? (On a mouse-based system, it should show it like tool tip text, in those yellow boxes, when you hover the mouse over it.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  choubetcha Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:13 am

Yes, this is the WORST. Ebooks should be infinitely better at footnotes than paper books, but I actually find them far more annoying to navigate.

choubetcha

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Open Road Media is having a Cyber Monday sale of 80% off all their ebooks which comes out to about $2-$4 per book. They publish backlist titles of established authors and they have some excellent stuff. I've already had two buying binges--one for Octavia Butler & the Ellen Datlow edited anthologies, and another for Barbara Hambly and I fully planning on buying some more.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 pm

I just bought "Rosemary's Baby" for $1.99, and I can't tell you how excited this makes me!
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 pm

If you have a 8.9 Kindle Fire, you can get a $50 refund if you call Customer Support Services. This is only good for today, December 10, 2012. If you were thinking of getting a 8.9 Kindle Fire, now is your chance to get one for $50 off.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm

That is awesome.

I myself am looking for a Kindle Paperwhite, for my dad, and APPARENTLY THERE ARE NONE LEFT ON PLANET EARTH. I went to Best Buy to look at them yesterday and the girl was like "...just so you know, we don't have any of these and we're not getting any in anytime soon." There are a couple showing at Best Buys elsewhere in the state, but I don't know how accurate that is. Worse, we're celebrating with them on the 23rd, so all the "guaranteed to arrive by Christmas Eve" things are useless to me. At Amazon, they appear to be coming back in stock on the 20th, and even with the one-day shipping, which costs 23 goddamn dollars, it's still only guaranteed to arrive by the 24th. (The 23rd is a Sunday. But you'd think with ONE-DAY shipping they could make it by the 22nd. But no.)

So now I'm deciding whether to sell a kidney to get a Paperwhite in a dark alley, or get the regular Kindle. And here I thought I was being a proactive shopper.

Also I am mad that Target stopped carrying them, so now you can get them at Amazon, at Best Buy, or nowhere apparently.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  mokey75 Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 pm

Can you just have it shipped directly to him? Then you could print off a picture and the "Yay, your Kindle Paperwhite has shipped!" email and give it to him in a card. Done and done.
mokey75
mokey75

Back to top Go down

Post  Matinee Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:59 am

Instant Monkeys wrote:That is awesome.

I myself am looking for a Kindle Paperwhite, for my dad, and APPARENTLY THERE ARE NONE LEFT ON PLANET EARTH. I went to Best Buy to look at them yesterday and the girl was like "...just so you know, we don't have any of these and we're not getting any in anytime soon." There are a couple showing at Best Buys elsewhere in the state, but I don't know how accurate that is. Worse, we're celebrating with them on the 23rd, so all the "guaranteed to arrive by Christmas Eve" things are useless to me. At Amazon, they appear to be coming back in stock on the 20th, and even with the one-day shipping, which costs 23 goddamn dollars, it's still only guaranteed to arrive by the 24th. (The 23rd is a Sunday. But you'd think with ONE-DAY shipping they could make it by the 22nd. But no.)

So now I'm deciding whether to sell a kidney to get a Paperwhite in a dark alley, or get the regular Kindle. And here I thought I was being a proactive shopper.

Also I am mad that Target stopped carrying them, so now you can get them at Amazon, at Best Buy, or nowhere apparently.

Just order from Amazon asap. There's a good chance you'll get it. Mine came mid-November, at least 2 weeks before the expected shipping date and the one I ordered for my parents at the end of November, which they estimated would arrive Dec 19th at the earlier (that was with one-day shipping), is in transit now! So there's a chance. They are just overly cautious on the shipping date, I think. There's a good chance it will get there. Also agree on getting it shipped to him if you'll be closer to his place on the day.

Matinee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum