Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Technical Issues and Bugs

+57
F8kKy
Tabby
Gallifrey Girl
BreezyK
chibimanda
mayram
RiverThames
Binky
laddical
Carrie Ann
slmader
The Dude
Author By Night
Raised by wolves
sagitare
truecrystal
PrincessCleo
bookworm
naughty zoot
mokey75
pizzagirl20
Matinee
maxell131313
punzy
puddingcup
Putli Bai
QueenSix
ulkis
eventide82
Red Wolf
jcpdiesel21
philophobe
boutros boutros kitty
sixchooks
mrinsouciance
inversed
Sheli
tothemax
Escape
Corellderaan
katesti
whatthedeuce
dinahmoe
Pumpkin Cake
Poubelle
Lily Rose
Swarley
blooey
blixie
The Glen
punkysdilemma
biakbiak
Instant Monkeys
MLIS
Jasmine
filwdork
particle_person
61 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Technical Issues and Bugs Empty Technical Issues and Bugs

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm starting this thread to get feedback on technical problems and suggested modifications for the forum. I'm not making any changes until I'm reasonably sure most people want them. Changes apply only to this forum right now, not to any future ones.

Blixie told me people would like different link styling. What color and style would everyone like links to be? (External links in your posts, I mean, not intra-forum links.) My plan is to wait until it's fairly late (1-2am east coast) tonight and then experiment. Hopefully, at that hour weird forum behavior will cause the least inconvenience to people.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Technical Issues and Bugs Empty Re: Technical Issues and Bugs

Post  filwdork Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:46 pm

I mentioned this in the other thread but thought I'd mention it again. For some reason the post replies & new topic buttons do not show up on my work computer. I think it has something to do with the fact that I can't see any images--the buttons at the top don't show up and neither does anything to the left of the threads/topics. Not sure if there is anything that can be done but thought I'd bring it up.

filwdork

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:50 pm

Honestly, all I want for links is for them to show up in another color (maybe just blue). Because I think that links right now don't show up in another color unless your mouse is over them, and that's the biggest issue with links for me.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:01 pm

I agree that I don't have a strong preference on links, other than I'd like them to stand out from the regular text in some way. If that's a different text colour, or formatting them to be underlined or italized or something, I'm not fussy, but like Jasmine said, right now the only way to tell if something is a link is from context, or if you mouse over each word in the text looking for links.

Thanks for your hard work in trying to figure all this out. For the most part the board is great -- zippy and clean, and I'm loving the renewed community and how much people are posting. Changing the links colour and/or formatting is really the only thing I'd like to see improved.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 pm

Same here -- I believe links are back to being the same color/style as body text right now. So any different color would be good. They were blue for a while there and that worked all right.

Some folks have pointed out that on Forumer the links were both bolded and underlined, so you really couldn't miss them. I think a lot of people prefer something like that. (I'm OK either way, as long as I can see them.)

There's a "visited links" style here (that's the only time you can see links at the moment, when they're purple), and while I certainly don't object to it, I don't think it's really necessary, in case all the link styling starts to get cumbersome.

Thanks, p_p!

ETA: Oh, I thought of something else! Can you investigate The Mystery Of The Missing Emoticons? Whenever you type a colon-plus-close-parenthesis, it doesn't show up. I don't mean it doesn't turn into a little yellow cartoon smiley face -- it doesn't show up at all. This is very weird to me. I am SO down with not having animated smileys (except on April 1 of course), but I do miss having the option to throw a handmade emoticon in there if I feel the need. I'm sure there's a master list somewhere of Forbidden Smileys. I think I also tried colon-plus-capital-D one time and that didn't show up either.

So, like, hardly a life-and-death situation, but I wouldn't mind having them back, if you had a chance to look into that sometime.

Last edited by Instant Monkeys on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  MLIS Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Agreed, and that's a good point. If all the different options are cumbersome, I don't need the links to be a different colour after I've visited them, it's more important to me that they are a different colour (or format) from the main text from the beginning.

MLIS

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:20 pm

filwdork wrote:I mentioned this in the other thread but thought I'd mention it again. For some reason the post replies & new topic buttons do not show up on my work computer. I think it has something to do with the fact that I can't see any images--the buttons at the top don't show up and neither does anything to the left of the threads/topics. Not sure if there is anything that can be done but thought I'd bring it up.

Unless someone else is having that problem (YOOHOO! SPEAK UP IF YOU ARE!) I suspect that's probably your work's filtering software. If the computer is a laptop, try taking it somewhere you know has unfiltered dirty wonderful internet and see if the same thing happens.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Instant Monkeys wrote:ETA: Oh, I thought of something else! Can you investigate The Mystery Of The Missing Emoticons? Whenever you type a colon-plus-close-parenthesis, it doesn't show up. I don't mean it doesn't turn into a little yellow cartoon smiley face -- it doesn't show up at all. This is very weird to me. I am SO down with not having animated smileys (except on April 1 of course), but I do miss having the option to throw a handmade emoticon in there if I feel the need. I'm sure there's a master list somewhere of Forbidden Smileys. I think I also tried colon-plus-capital-D one time and that didn't show up either.

Yeah, but you may have to wait on that, especially since I'm going to have to play with the code quite a bit before I'm up to debugging something like that. (It's the sort of problem that requires an in-depth knowledge of exactly what happens when you submit a post. Much harder than fixing link styling glitches.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Despite the fact that I have in my profile that I don't want emails sent when there is a reply to a forum I am watching, I keep getting them. This would not matter to me in the slightest if the location of Watch This Topic were in a different location. Since it's located right by the page numbers to navigate to the next page, I constantly hit it by accident, particularly if I am reading from my phone.

I don't know if those can be moved, but just putting it out there!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:44 pm

particle_person wrote:Yeah, but you may have to wait on that, especially since I'm going to have to play with the code quite a bit before I'm up to debugging something like that. (It's the sort of problem that requires an in-depth knowledge of exactly what happens when you submit a post. Much harder than fixing link styling glitches.)
Gotcha. Like I said, no biggie. Thanks!
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 pm

biakbiak wrote:Despite the fact that I have in my profile that I don't want emails sent when there is a reply to a forum I am watching, I keep getting them. This would not matter to me in the slightest if the location of Watch This Topic were in a different location. Since it's located right by the page numbers to navigate to the next page, I constantly hit it by accident, particularly if I am reading from my phone.

biakbiak, try logging out of SF, deleting all the cookies set by the forum, log in again, then set your preferences again. Tell me if that fixes it.

As for moving the box, is anyone else having trouble with hitting it accidentally?
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:01 pm

I was futzing with a couple different link styles myself (am not a mod but thought people might want to look)...don't click on the link or they ALL go purple.

As it is now:
My heart weeps for Kim Kardashian

Just bold:

Bold and underlined (once you click it, it looks dumb because the underline is a different color from the text):

Oops, I tried a few in blue but text colors are turned off right now. Think I'm leaning plain black, bold, underlined, with no visited link color, personally.

Last edited by punkysdilemma on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:03 pm

particle_person wrote:
biakbiak wrote:Despite the fact that I have in my profile that I don't want emails sent when there is a reply to a forum I am watching, I keep getting them. This would not matter to me in the slightest if the location of Watch This Topic were in a different location. Since it's located right by the page numbers to navigate to the next page, I constantly hit it by accident, particularly if I am reading from my phone.

biakbiak, try logging out of SF, deleting all the cookies set by the forum, log in again, then set your preferences again. Tell me if that fixes it.

As for moving the box, is anyone else having trouble with hitting it accidentally?

biakbiak, I think the issue is that that was the default at the beginning and you may not have noticed it, and so for the threads that you posted in at the beginning, you're still signed up to get those emails. Go into those specific threads and click "don't watch this thread" or something like that at the bottom of the screen (there's also a link to do that in the emails) and that should fix it, it did for me.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:04 pm

punkysdilemma wrote:I was futzing with a couple different link styles myself (am not a mod but thought people might want to look)...don't click on the link or they ALL go purple.

As it is now:

Just bold:

Bold and underlined:

Nevermind, I was trying for text colors but those are turned off right now. Think I'm leaning plain black, bold, underlined, with no visited link color, personally.

I would much prefer a different text color for links than underlined or bold, since people underline and bold things on a regular basis for other stuff (people's names, book and movie titles, etc.), so that could get confusing.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:08 pm

I vaguely recall that it was bold and underlined on SF3 (I think?) but I can't remember the color. Maybe I could choose a dark-but-not-black color and kind of split the difference between you guys, punky and jasmine?

My personal preference is the same is punkys', I think. Both bold and underline rarely occur at the same time. People usually used bold-only for titles.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:23 pm

I'm pretty sure links were black, bold, and underlined on SF3 (actually, that's how they are on forumer's support forums right now too). I'm OK with playing with the colors a bit as long as they're dark and readable.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Okay, I think I'm going to go with bold, black, and underlined tonight, then I'll ask if people think further change (to color, say) is necessary.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:28 pm

particle_person wrote:I vaguely recall that it was bold and underlined on SF3 (I think?) but I can't remember the color. Maybe I could choose a dark-but-not-black color and kind of split the difference between you guys, punky and jasmine?

My personal preference is the same is punkys', I think. Both bold and underline rarely occur at the same time. People usually used bold-only for titles.

Why can't it just be the same color as the other links in the forum (like at the bottom to go Home and to other sub forums)?

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:31 pm

Jasmine wrote:Why can't it just be the same color as the other links in the forum (like at the bottom to go Home and to other sub forums)?

That's what it is now, if I understand what you're saying. People are complaining because they can't distinguish the links, which was the entry for the discussion.
ETA: Or did you mean bold, underlined, and colored the same as the Home link? That could work.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, for me the links were blue, so I don't understand why they can't be blue now instead of bold/underlined. It just seems easier that way, and more standardized.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:47 pm

I don't know if this makes a difference overall, but you can enable smilies in the preferences in your profile.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:53 pm

We can try blue links too. It can be a soap opera! "The Bold or the Blue-tiful"
I'm thinking it would be interesting if people could set personalized style sheets. That may be more coding than forumotion will allow, though.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:07 pm

I just want to say thanks again to p_p for being willing to help out with bugs in the here and now. You are blue-tiful.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:25 am

Okay, I'm going to start fiddling now. Tomorrow we will have black links with bold and underlining, and I'll wait for feedback here. We can try blue next week if there are issues. (Or just to try blue. Not a hard change, I don't think...)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  blooey Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:53 am

Is there a way to make the "ONLINE" banner that shows up the upper right hand corner of my posts go away?

blooey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum