Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pottermore

+31
BreezyK
naughty zoot
allochthonous
Esseilte
subie5
Tabby
Crowbridge
mo pie
Menshevixen
PrettyPenny
Shadowlass
Carrie Ann
particle_person
Luciano
RubyTuesday
dinahmoe
TiffanyNichelle
anni
epudom
Rhilin
punzy
vwlphb
bluebird
Sincerity
Poubelle
snorf
Unlucky Bear
roly
maxell131313
Lily Rose
Jamie
35 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pottermore - Page 3 Empty Re: Pottermore

Post  Luciano Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 pm

vwlphb is right - payoff-wise, it's just better to practice spells and earn points via duels. I earned more house points dueling for a few minutes than brewing a potion for 60 minutes.

I do like that there is some variety in the potions. As of now, all I'm doing is casting petrificus totalus all over the place because that's the one that nets me a score of over 140 points most of the time.

major part for me is that reading the potion instructions counts towards your time, but that seems to be the only time you can read the book.

Yesterday I ended up writing the instructions on a post-it when they were first shown. I was actually taking notes for a fake class in a fake wizard school.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:06 am

Luciano wrote:Yesterday I ended up writing the instructions on a post-it when they were first shown. I was actually taking notes for a fake class in a fake wizard school.
That made me laugh.
--
In other news, I'm a Slytherin. (I greatly enjoyed the introduction, too. I love how all the houses have their biases.)

One thing that bothered me a little -- in Pottermore, the hat's decision is final and you can't talk back to it. But it was a major theme of the books that you could.
--

Anyone successfully cast a spell around here? I'm stuck on "Alohomora." No matter what I do, I can't get the timing exactly right to catch the expanding circle at its largest, apparently. I don't know if it's just that I have always been bad at video games or what, but it ain't working for me.
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Menshevixen Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:04 am

I'm stuck on Alohomora too. I tried clicking at pretty much every stage of the circle-light-thingie and it just never works. No idea what I'm doing wrong.

Concerned that maybe...I'm a Squib (only sort of joking).
Menshevixen
Menshevixen

Back to top Go down

Post  vwlphb Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:27 pm

It doesn't have to be at the very biggest, it's just stronger that way. If you have trouble clicking, try with the keyboard. A good way to do it is click/type right when it starts to contract again. Also, look at the spell to see the shape the letters will go in and which letters you will have to type in which order.

vwlphb

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:47 pm

And in a smh turn of events, I've figured out how to duel, but now I can't stop blowing up potions. Oh, how the worm has turned!

I've also finally started putting nicknames to people who have friended me, but need to know who the following may be. I want to be able to recognize who you are!

CatErised93
FlameGalleon134
WatchHeart208

Last edited by maxell131313 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Jamie Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:55 pm

This might just be a bug that will soon be fixed, but I found that with potions, if you do something wrong (like tip a bottle full of something ALL OVER the table and then dump six measures too many into the cauldron, whoops) you can go back, then forward again and start the potion over.
Jamie
Jamie

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:15 pm

I just joined today, and I'm GobletRain12873.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  particle_person Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:02 pm

Okay, I made us a directory. (To be removed, just PM me; it's just a compilation from this thread. To be added, leave a note ON the other thread.)
particle_person
particle_person
Tech Support

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:06 am

maxell131313 wrote:If you're interested in reading what the welcome messages are to the other three houses you didn't get into, someone has managed to get them all together:

http://lilyevans-snape.livejournal.com/200599.html

Wow, the Gryffindor one is short. Though presumably if you're playing around on Pottermore, you've already read the books and know plenty about that house already. (Still, you'd think Percy wouldn't have wanted to shut up. I think there ought to be a few more reminders that he is a prefect, you know.)

I need to start using it again. If a WildOwl81 from Ravenclaw shows up in the next few days, that's me.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:44 pm

I just joined up and added my name to the Directory thread (LumosBat18596). I'll friend you guys when I get a chance. So far, I've only been picked by my wand (Vine with unicorn core, 13 and a quarter inches long, hard), and been Sorted into Hufflepuff.

The history of the Hogwart's Express was cute.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  subie5 Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I really wish they would fix the potions. I keep spilling stuff all over the table and then when I try to turn it over I can't and the time runs out. I wish they would open up the 2nd book so that I can read more tidbits. That is my favorite part of the website.

subie5

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:32 pm

I just went on a mad friending spree. And I think I'm going to be a total loss at Potions. I need to get to a Herbology class, quick.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:22 pm

I got my wand! It's English oak with unicorn core, twelve and a quarter inches, unbending. The unbending part makes me feel a bit like a villain.

ETA: Hufflepuff! The house I least expected.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  anni Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:15 pm

After spending a couple of evenings trying to figure out how to get past that street light in chapter one, I finally got sorted - into Ravenclaw. That was unexpected - I thought I would be Hufflepuff, maybe Gryffindor - but blue is my colour so that's cool.

Now I have to go back and read all the fun stuff. I only stopped a moment to read the bit about Vernon & Petunia, and loved it.

anni

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm a Ravenclaw, and proud. :)

I'm trying to figure out how to brew potions, but it's impossible. I put everything into the pot, turn up the heat, and...what else do I need to do? I'm doing it wrong.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  anni Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Yeah, I just tried that, and I suppose you need to wave your wand - only I can't find the wand. I still wonder where that Ravenclaw came from...

anni

Back to top Go down

Post  maxell131313 Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:53 pm

Your wand is behind your ingredients. It looks like a crack in the table but it's really your wand. Just click on it and it will do the rest by itself.
maxell131313
maxell131313

Back to top Go down

Post  Esseilte Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Bah. Damn thing sorted me into Slytherin. I do NOT suit green.

Esseilte
Esseilte

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:17 pm

I got sorted into Slytherin too - not what I was expecting, as I always figured I was a classic Ravenclaw, but I expect I can live with it. Doesn't seem to give me much of a potions advantage though, shouldn't Snape be favouring me? I'm FireboltPhoenix22015 with a cypress and phoenix feather wand.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:36 pm

I can see why you're only allowed to answer the questions once, because you could have knocked me over with a phoenix feather when I got sorted into Hufflepuff. i was expecting Ravenclaw, but I'm sure the Sorting Hat knows best.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Thanks to our new directory I'm going on a friending spree!
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:08 pm

So who knows how to catch the damn Snitch?
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Luciano Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Zoom in with the arrow key until you could click on it.

Luciano

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:13 am

Yeah, I finally figured out the zooming-in thing, and I still can't get it. I guess I just don't have the technique down yet.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 am

If like me, you just wanted to find out your wand and get sorted (and access the additional bits of info that she wrote for the game), I've found the Pottermore Field Guide invaluable.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next