Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kirsten Dunst

+7
year of the cat
Jasmine
gannetguts
inversed
whatthedeuce
Kiran
blixie
11 posters

Go down

Kirsten Dunst Empty Kirsten Dunst

Post  blixie Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:47 pm

So I love me some Kiki, on screen I think she has been Oscar kind of good in Interview with a Vampire, Little Women, and most of all and I am totally serious Crazy/Beautiful. She's been delicately vulnerable in The Virgin Suicides and Marie Antionette, and she's a ton of fun in Dick, Drop Dead Gorgeous, the Spidey series, and of course Bring It On.

Then she fell into a Jake Gyllenhaal sized hipster hole, full of meth, and bad bad posture and even worse clothing. I longed for the Kiki of old, who was fresh faced, dressed cute, and was in movies that were of actual quality so I'm thrilled to say Kiki's Back!

Her turn in Melancholia is all that too, I liked how Lars sort of used her dark days self to contrast against this overall more together KD. How much did everyone love her bitch please looks at him throughout that horribly awkward Cannes press conference? So much!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Kirsten Dunst Empty Re: Kirsten Dunst

Post  Kiran Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:18 pm

I love her and always have and am glad her career is kicking into high gear again and am glad she has a nice stable relationship.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:31 am

I have no idea why I began to dislike her so intensely, but I have fo quite some time. Still, when I last watched Little Women, I realized how well she portrayed the younger Amy. There was a genuine vulnerability in the carriage scene with Laurie, but she also sold the infuriating brattiness when she's stomping over not getting to go to the theater. There was lots of life to the character...until she grew up and became Samantha Mathis. Then, she was just dull and eyeroll-worthy.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 am

I used to hate her, now I don't. Not a clue what changed, since I haven't really seen her in much of anything lately. Or maybe that's the reason right there.

I had NO idea she'd been on meth, though. She gets serious props for kicking that.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:26 am

I knew/heard she did kick a drug habit, but I didn't know it was meth. Scary.

I've always loved her, ever since I was little. My best friend and I had an obsession with her, Christina Ricci and Thora Birch. Kiki's been the only one we're both still in serious like with.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:33 am

I love her, and I'm so so glad that Kiki's back, and wearing cute clothes, and looking happy. Everything about the faces that she made during that press conference was GOLD.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:51 am

Yes. She needs to take her side-eye glare to a bunch of Press Conferences: Brett's, Cain's, Penn St... the list keeps growing.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarlettfish Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

I love Kiki. For some reason I feel like she's a personal friend of mine. i think that's because I've sort of grown up with her. And also she is pretty.

Scarlettfish

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:54 am

but I didn't know it was meth. Scary.

Oh no, I have no evidence her drug of choice was meth....other than I've seen meth heads (although I'm so old it was when they called it glass/crystal) up close and she looked just like most of them, BUT a lot of hipsters seem to work really hard to look like they are on meth even when they aren't.

I think the actual rumors were vague drinking/"partying" too much, which covers all of the drugs.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:40 pm

IIRC, the story was she needed treatment for depression, which is what led to the excessive drinking/partying. Also I think her trip to rehab was pretty voluntary, which is worth something.
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Having also seen meth heads I think she looks too youthful and fresh faced now to have been on meth. Fergie is a prime example of someone who was on meth. And yes, I think the trip was voluntary and because Heath Ledger's death hit her hard from what I understood. It very rare for someone on meth to ever get help voluntarily. I think Dunst was probably on cocaine and a hipster.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Genevieve Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:07 am

She gets a life-time pass from me for her performance in Dick.
Genevieve
Genevieve

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 am

Genevieve, the only thing I truly recall about that movie (having it just one time in the theater) is her character mooning over McDonald's fries during a field trip or something. My sisters and I still LOL thinking about that scene. Or what we think remember about that scene.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:09 am

The Spider-Man movies are the only movies I've seen of hers where I didn't like her, and even then it wasn't an active dislike - she did the best she could with a boring "superhero's girlfriend" role. But I loved her in Dick, Eternal Sunshine, Marie Antoinette, Little Women, Wag the Dog, Wimbledon, Crazy/Beautiful, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Bring it On, hell, even Jumanji. When I was a kid she was The Actress whose movies I always wanted to see.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:48 pm

She was mine too. Someone mentioned her, Thora Birch and Christina Ricci. They were the three I worshiped too.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm

My three favorites were Natalie Portman, Reese Witherspoon, and Kiki. I was sure all three would get Oscars and even though I still love Nat/Reese, I think Kiki was/is the best of those three, so I'm hoping she at least gets a nomination for Melancholia and I'll be rooting for her to complete my prediction!

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:48 am

queenofdenile, I forgot about Jumanji! That movie is awesome, and Kirsten was great in it! I realize now that I didn't mind her at all as a child, but for some reason, she just began to annoy me as she grew up. Since she's been off the radar for so long though, seeing her around now isn't as irksome. Good on her for getting her career back on track. I've heard nothing but incredible things about her Melancholia performance, so awards noms are most likely heading her way this coming season!

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:33 am

I'm also happy that she seems to have escaped the "formulaic romantic comedy" well that so many of the big leading actresses get sucked into (not that I blame them - those are the parts that are available to women, sadly). It's kind of unfortunate that the "manic pixie dream girl" term was inspired by her character in Elizabethtown, because if you look at Kiki's body of work, the MPDG character is the exception, not the rule.

I just know that, nine times out of ten, if I go see a Kirsten Dunst movie, I'm going to see something interesting. Even something like Wimbledon wasn't revolutionary, but I liked it a lot. It's so refreshing to see a romantic comedy where the leads are not only compatible, but who both act like mature adults during their conflicts.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:58 pm

I loved Wimbledon. I also loved that her character was the sexual aggressor and wasn't punished for it.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  gannetguts Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:03 pm

blixie wrote:
but I didn't know it was meth. Scary.

Oh no, I have no evidence her drug of choice was meth....other than I've seen meth heads (although I'm so old it was when they called it glass/crystal) up close and she looked just like most of them, BUT a lot of hipsters seem to work really hard to look like they are on meth even when they aren't.

I think the actual rumors were vague drinking/"partying" too much, which covers all of the drugs.
Ohhh, well, I'm glad she kicked whatever habit she had and got the help she needed. I love seeing her back on the scene again.

gannetguts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum