Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Theatre

+28
Snarryfan
laddical
puddingcup
Algae
jstilwe
dinahmoe
rivki8699
dionneshea
katesti
Raised by wolves
Coneycat
ulkis
TiffanyNichelle
Instant Monkeys
choubetcha
BrightEyes
mokey75
naughty zoot
Matinee
Carrie Ann
Rhilin
punzy
Morning Angel
epudom
Case
maxell131313
Auroura76
harvey the penguin
32 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Theatre - Page 3 Empty Re: Theatre

Post  jstilwe Wed May 18, 2016 8:48 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:What's happening in July? Is someone leaving?
My understanding is that the principals signed one-year contracts, and the show went into previews on July 13 last year. LOJ has already said he's leaving after his one year is up, and I'm guessing that a lot of them will do the same (although hoping very hard they won't). I don't think anyone knows exact dates they'll be leaving, so I'm just guessing mid-July.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed May 18, 2016 9:14 pm

Ah, thanks. And ugh!

So I went and looked at tix for June. $1800 ish. (And I have to add on 30% exchange rate too.) I need to stop torturing myself.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 pm

Gallifrey Girl wrote:Ah, thanks. And ugh!

So I went and looked at tix for June. $1800 ish.  (And I have to add on 30% exchange rate too.)  I need to stop torturing myself.
That's insane.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Wed May 18, 2016 9:45 pm

jstilwe wrote:
Gallifrey Girl wrote:What's happening in July? Is someone leaving?
My understanding is that the principals signed one-year contracts, and the show went into previews on July 13 last year. LOJ has already said he's leaving after his one year is up, and I'm guessing that a lot of them will do the same (although hoping very hard they won't). I don't think anyone knows exact dates they'll be leaving, so I'm just guessing mid-July.

I have tickets for July 15th. I really really hope it is after that.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Fri May 20, 2016 1:31 pm

laddical wrote:The Studio Cast Recording of Hunchback is out. I've been listening to it via AppleMusic. It's amazing. I love every change they made from the movie and most of the new songs. The gargoyles are still there but not for sidekick comic relief. Quasimodo speaks like Lon Chaney's version when talking to other people but then has a normal voice when singing his internal monologues. "God Help the Outcasts" is still the most beautiful thing and "Hellfire" is still great to sing along with, even if the song is all kinds of creepy and fucked up. Esmeralda dies and Quasi straight up murders Frollo.

Basically, it's everything I always want the animated movie to be. I love the movie, but every time "A Guy Like You" comes up, I'm reminded that it's very much still a Disney movie - one that could have completely broken their mold, but didn't.

It is great. I love the part in the finale where Quasimodo is throwing the lead and "Made of Stone". My two complaints are I would have liked "Top of the World" without the other voices jumping in and I wish they had kept Tanz auf dem Seil in there. They did leave a tiny snippet in the actual show, but that's it.

(Oh, they aren't gargoyles anymore either, well maybe some of them were? But I think they turned them into regular statues. In any case, they were dressed in monks' robes and hoods.) They're behind Quasimodo here

https://www.google.com/search?q=hunchback+of+notre+dame+musical+chorus&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=923&tbm=isch&imgil=u7p7tuJf9vzVrM%253A%253B0p-EfAZ4Ng1nlM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.youtube.com%25252Fwatch%25253Fv%2525253Dawl-9qk6HV8&source=iu&pf=m&fir=u7p7tuJf9vzVrM%253A%252C0p-EfAZ4Ng1nlM%252C_&usg=__S1S6al9hgqj2FVdT3Dhnv6F6dvA%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjOr9ici-nMAhVCVT4KHSJoAA4QyjcIRA&ei=Mz0_V47KCsKq-QGi0IFw#imgrc=u7p7tuJf9vzVrM%3A

ETA: Although speaking of Hamilton, it amused me that that one of the producer said "like in Hamilton, we wanted to be in the room where it happens" or something like that in the liner notes of the album booklet.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Oh dear punzy, the rumours are that Lin is out July 9th.  That said, everything I've read about the other guy (assuming he takes over the full gig) is that he is amazing.

Not surprising with the news a few days ago that he was cast in the Mary Poppins sequel.  But dammit, I would've liked to have seen the whole original cast. Eventually.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:33 pm

Yep, just saw that. I am really hoping some of the other cast stick around for at least a little while! There's always hope. Kind of kicking myself for not getting tickets for the previous weekend. But I have also heard that Javier Muñoz is amazing.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  katesti Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:41 pm

We saw Javilton when we were there at the end of March - and I know Heather and Jessica and maybe a few others around here have seen him too. As a longtime LMM fangirl, I was briefly devastated when I learned he was going to be out, but Javi is really truly wonderful.

katesti

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Yeah, I've heard from people who have seen the show multiple times and have seen both LMM and JM that they actually prefer JM. I would be bummed if he's not at our show (three weeks from today!), but not as devastated as I would be if LOJ or DD were out.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:36 pm

Public Service Announcement: the next batch of Hamilton tickets (February - May, I think) is being released for Amex Platinum/Centurion presale on Tuesday (10am), and to the general public on June 12th (I don't recall the time). I'm going to try to grab a set of 4 and take my sister and 2 highly-obsessed niblings during their spring break, so wish me luck!

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:09 am

jstilwe, thanks so much for that news!  I actually went to the American Express Platinum website to look into a card. But as it has a $700 annual fee (!!!), I guess I'm waiting for the public sale! Hope you're able to get the ones you want!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:52 am

Tickets went on sale tonight, and I may have snagged two for April? I can't tell if the purchase actually went through, Ticketmaster's website is understandably having a bit of a meltdown. I was not planning on seeing this show for years, and I definitely was not planning on taking a New York trip, but I got caught up in the moment during the Tonys. I'm trying not to focus on the bad financial choices and am choosing to instead focus on life is short! Spontaneity is fun! New York is great! Theatre!

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:11 pm

I hope they go through for you!

I'm kinda annoyed at the Hamilton website. I signed up for the alert for when tix would next go on sale.  I got an email five minutes after the sale started! If it hadn't been posted here I wouldn't have known.

So I had my husband and son and I all trying for two standard tickets for each of three consecutive days near the end of February. Hoped to get two days, at least, and would've made a nice trip to NYC. (And I would totally have gone to see School of Rock too, based on the Tony performance. That was fun!)

So we each got to the point where we could pick our seats (yay!!), told us it was processing them (yayyyyy!!!!!) and then after a couple of minutes told us nah, they were gone. (boooo!)  All of us kept trying for about half an hour in case any tickets were thrown back due to errors, but nothing.  I think I was more disappointed than I would've been because when it was processing them, I really thought I had them.

jstilwe did you manage to get spring break ones?

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  jstilwe Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:09 pm

I did! The amex presale was a debacle -- they were requiring a 14 digit unique code to purchase, but the only way to get that was to call the concierge line. My sister spent 2.5 hours on hold with them (I'm traveling, so she was getting the tickets) before she got the code, by which point everything was sold out. Very frustrated, I emailed amex and complained. They put me on a waiting list for any presale cancellations (they were holding people to a strict 4 ticket limit and cancelling purchases that went over), and after a couple of days, 4 seats in my desired time frame came open! Row E front mezz, pretty close to center -- we're all super excited!

I heard that Broadway.com has some tickets for sale today, so maybe try there! I think they're slightly over face value but still way under the resale market prices.

jstilwe

Back to top Go down

Post  darthtall Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:57 am

I got a pair for the end of March! The app timed out on me twice in the checkout stage, but by some miracle it worked on my third try, and I have the e-mail to confirm, eeeeeeeeeeee. (I am also lucky to have an aunt living in NYC, who gets the second ticket and is letting me sleep on her couch, so I won't have to pay for a hotel, huzzah.)

darthtall

Back to top Go down

Post  mialoubug Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:22 pm

I got the alert and managed to get three tickets for this December! Pretty certain I have a bit of an obstruction (right orchestra all the way to the end) BUT I paid only the face value AND it's not too much of an obstruction.

I had the same problem with the website then BOOM! I had tickets. It was really strange.
mialoubug
mialoubug

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:26 pm

I was really surprised to hear that Daveed Diggs was leaving Hamilton on the 15th. I guess I kinda thought that anyone not leaving with the crew on the 9th had signed another contract!

punzy, you'll be there for his last show! Enjoy!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:37 pm

It was so good you guys! I want them to release the recording now so I can watch it a billion times.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:08 pm

Of all the original cast members I won't ever get to see, I think Daveed is the one I'm saddest about. Okay fine, he's tied with Leslie Odom, Jr. Leslie makes me feel the most feelings, but Daveed delights me so, so much. I second punzy's video request.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Do Javier was on Colbert the other night, singing about voting. It was the first time I'd actually heard him sing, and he was incredible!

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3