Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Parenthood

+12
Heather
Gilraen
shamoogity
BreezyK
Binky
punkysdilemma
dday515
Jasmine
Raised by wolves
Kiran
biakbiak
jcpdiesel21
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Parenthood Empty Parenthood

Post  jcpdiesel21 Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm

This show isn't my favorite, but it's like comfort food. Not everything about it is perfect, but it's enjoyable enough to watch and check in on each week.

That being said... I really HATED last night's episode, where multiple characters did stupid things. I may have groaned out loud at Crosby and Jasmine sleeping together, which further complicates an already interesting storyline of the two of them trying to find a balance raising Jabbar while not being together, and will complicate everything for themselves, poor Jabbar and Dr. Joe, who Jasmine seemed all starry-eyed about only last week. I haven't been a fan of Julia and Joel wanting to buy Zoe's baby because it is such an odd, implausible storyline, but I didn't like how Zoe's boyfriend only served to throw a wrench into the whole process instead of being presented as a three-dimensional character that the audience could relate to. And holy cow, is the storyline with Adam and Luncheonette receptionist Rachel SO INCREDIBLY STUPID. There are so many issues that the show could have chosen to tackle following Kristina's pregnancy and Adam venturing off into business with Crosby, but this is straight up manufactured drama and I hate it.

But at least Drew's getting some screentime this season AND has a girlfriend, so it isn't all awful, right?
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Parenthood Empty Re: Parenthood

Post  biakbiak Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:23 pm

I actually read Alan Sepinwall's review of last nights episode and think I might just delete the episode and my season pass. The receptionist storyline (or as Sepinwall put it Chekov's Boobs) is so stupid and so telegraphed the writers should feel shame!
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:11 am

I've actually really been liking this season. I don't know, I feel like this show is at its best when the characters are messing up in ways that I believe and I believe all of that. Like I think the show agrees with me that Crosby and Jasmine sleeping together is a bad idea. I in particular like Sarah and her exes storyline because while I feel it is totally a bad idea, I also think the actors have really good chemistry and really suggest that they are those type of people that will always be drawn to each other even though they know its awful.

I hate Joel and Julia's storyline, but I ALWAYS hate their storyline.

As much as I like Sepinwall I've always been more in line with the AV clubs thoughts on this show, so that might just be me.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:27 am

I hate Joel and Julia's storyline, but I ALWAYS hate their storyline.
Julia and Joel have always had the least to do with the worst storyline. Boo-hoo, you have a wealthy lifestyle, a non-traditional stay at home spouse, and spoiled your child. Not much to go on there. Adding to their storyline by dropping an adoption into their laps is totally unrealistic. I really liked the preview of Julia stonewalling Zoe about the adoption. I'd like to see where that goes.

This is the only realistic drama I watch - not that I think the plotlines are true to life or anything. Every time I preview this post I see how negative I am about the show because I bitched about every plotline and character, then edited/deleted for clarity and length. Truth is I really do enjoy watching the show. I guess that means I like it because I see it from so many different ways and can attack/defend the characters in many ways. So even if the plots aren't totally realistic, they certainly ring natural to me.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Yeah, I'm liking this season a lot too. I was grumpy at the beginning of the season, because everything that they did with Hattie and her boyfriend was so stupid, but they wrapped up that storyline pretty quickly and everything else has worked well. I also am really liking Christina this season, aside from her freakout about the receptionist (which was over the top, and yet understandable with her post pregnancy everything) -- she's been a much more well rounded character, and hasn't just been all about her panic about Max. I also don't think that the receptionist storyline is that bad -- I like that it's about her having a crush on Adam, and not trying to hook up with Crosby, and that Adam immediately pushed her away. I hated the Christina stuff that came afterward, but it still wasn't terrible.

It does really bother me that we never see Adam with his baby, though -- has he even touched her since she was born? No wonder Christina got upset so quickly.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:17 pm

He was playing with her the episode before last when Kristina brought her into the office.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  dday515 Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:54 pm

While this show teeters on being an over dramatic soap opera, it still rings very true to me. The characters act like real people would potentially act. And sometimes that means that its over the top and not rational, but I buy it!

dday515

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:01 am

Kiran wrote:I in particular like Sarah and her exes storyline because while I feel it is totally a bad idea, I also think the actors have really good chemistry and really suggest that they are those type of people that will always be drawn to each other even though they know its awful.
I really enjoyed this storyline and the difficult balancing act that it struck. Seth is not a likable character, but John Corbett does a very nice job in the role and seems to bring out the best in Lauren Graham, and I could understand why they were drawn to each other even though Sarah knew that it was not a good idea. I also liked the realistic emotion that this storyline brought out in Mark.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:35 am

I liked tonight's episode a lot. I didn't like Christina's character at all in the first two seasons, but I've been liking her a lot this season -- I liked how she was with Amber, and with Sarah, and the ultimate resolution to the receptionist thing. It's nice to see her interact with people who aren't Adam or Max. And I loved that Crosby went to Sarah about sleeping with Jasmine, and that they had a good talk about it. Also, I felt so bad for Zoe at the end. Poor Zoe.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:30 am

Whew, this week's episode was a huge step up from last week. Thankfully, the majority of the conflict between Adam and Kristina has been resolved, and I liked where the writers took Crosby and Jasmine after having them hook up last week. Sarah Ramos was really good in this one; Haddie's blow-up about Max was realistic and very well-done.

The show keeps presenting outs to the ridiculous Julia/Joel adoption storyline, but doesn't take them. I would have liked it the process had just ended at a stalemate following Troy requesting money for Zoe's baby and instead focused on how much this crazy, difficult process affected if Joel and Julia REALLY wanted to still go through the process of adopting another child. But instead it trudges on.

Apparently the NBC press releases have listed D.B. Woodside's full character name as Dr. Joe Prestige. That name is TREMENDOUS. It sounds like a superhero alter ego identity.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Jasmine Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:48 pm

I LOVED Haddie's blow up at Max. Because so much of everything with Max has centered on how Adam and Christina feel about it and how they're dealing with it and how it's hard for them, and it must all be SO hard for Haddie, who only seems to get attention from her parents when she's in trouble, and has a really difficult little brother in the process. I liked that she yelled at Max, and I liked the conversation that she had with Adam afterward.

Jasmine

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:58 pm

I adored last week's episode with the family road trip to see Zeek's mother. I liked how the storyline linked all of the family members, gave us some unexpected backstory from Zeek and Christina, put Craig T. Nelson front and center in the spotlight where he did beautifully, found room for some amusing moments (I particularly loved Joel's "Is this like paper GPS?" joking reaction to the maps), and gave the viewers a welcome break from some of the more tedious and forced storylines of this season. Just brilliant all around.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:23 am

With all due respect to diesel's opinion mine's a little different. I hated this episode SOOOO much. From the opening chaotic scene that blew out my sensory input until the end I hated it. Zeek of all people bitching about Adam and Kristina holding a line about Max's behavior? Zeek would be all about that shit. But suddenly it's about Zeek so no! Bad! Bring Max along why dontcha? And not for nothing but just telling your kids you love them isn't the same as actually changing your behavior. The end pissed me off so much because they wanted me to see how Zeek is so much better than his mom. After that episode-long shitfit (and his behavior throughout the entire series) I responded to it as the Zeek doesn't fall too far from the tree but he will say "I love you" while being domineering and controlling. Congratulations for evolving from hell level parenting to only slightly evil. Here's your ribbon. And Max? Still no consequences. He got what he wanted. OMG.

I'm not usually this hepped up about Parenthood. This one really hit me on all cylinders. I think real life holiday situations left me a little raw.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:14 pm

OK, so, Haddie was way, WAY too reasonable about her parents' initial stance about Cornell. You don't see that level of maturity in most adults. At the same time, regarding their main argument of "You know your brother costs us a lot of money," there are a zillion fortysomething parents who'd know you DO NOT say that to a girl who's already pointed out how her brother gets a disproportionate amount of attention and how much it sucks.

Also: "You can go to Berkeley and live at home"? Oh, show, no.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 am

punkysdilemma wrote:Also: "You can go to Berkeley and live at home"? Oh, show, no.
Sadly, this is probably what the show will end up doing so that the actress who plays Haddie sticks around.

Am I imagining it, or is there some romantic tension between Amber and the Bob Little political candidate dude? I really hope this show doesn't go the predictable route with this particular storyline.
jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:11 am

Perfect backyard wedding with DJ, dance floor, decorations, and full bar pulled together in less than one week with apparently only one family meeting to plan it? That certainly did not strike me as humorous at all!

Felt like the show had a case of gotta-wrap-everything-up season-finale-ness, especially re: new kid abruptly landing in Joel & Julia's lap.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  jcpdiesel21 Fri May 11, 2012 8:28 pm

jcpdiesel21
jcpdiesel21

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:24 am

I'm happy Haddie is actually going to Cornell!

Ray Romano seems to fit in well but I'm dreading the inevitable unrequited love storyline with Lauren Graham.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Raised by wolves Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:36 am

Ray Romano seems to fit in well but I'm dreading the inevitable unrequited love storyline with Lauren Graham.
ITA with your inevitable storyline because IMO Ray Romano has such a sad sack voice and his character is kind of pathetic. But with Jason Ritter only being a guest star again this season, maybe not? That also doesn't bode well for Sarah's engagement which makes me sad because I just love Jason Ritter so much. I wish he could find a permanent job on a great show.

Speaking of guest stars, Haddie got downgraded to a guest star this season so they're phasing out her storyline, which is too bad because she and Adam are the only two in that family I want to see. Max is so unwatchable I can't stand it and I only like Christina when she's a supporting character. And Victor (Julia and Joel's adoptee) is in the credits so his absorption into the Braverman Borg is a season arc. Julia's scared admission that she's waiting to fall in love with him suckered me in so bad. It was totally what I expected her to do but I'm in.

Raised by wolves

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:38 pm

All the really hard stuff happens to Adam and Kristina, huh? Yow.

I think I'm glad that they're going with "scared kid" for Victor instead of "angry kid all season long."
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 pm

I've kind of been waiting for a 'cancer' storyline, though I would have expected one of the grandparents not Kristina.
Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  punkysdilemma Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm liking Sarah and Ray Romano together more than Sarah and Jason Ritter. I'm wondering if Jason Ritter's character hasn't been developed as much because the actor is always on the verge of being hired by another show.
punkysdilemma
punkysdilemma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:24 pm

I adore Mark and Jason Ritter, but I think Ray Romano/Sarah are a better fit, in part because hes a bit more...salty. And I think Sarah needs that.

I love this show so much. The cancer storyline is KILLING me and I thought that Crosby/Jasmine's story this week was amazing and something that so many people deal with it but tv never ever deals with.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  BreezyK Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:20 pm

I sort of wish that they had just let Mark and Sarah break up last season over the very real fact that they're in different places in their life and it was natural timing for them to end it rather than get engaged. I imagine it was because they wanted to give her a happy ending in the case of the show getting canceled (which certainly seemed possible then!). So now they're trying to get rid of him, even though it just doesn't make sense for them to be engaged and I agree that she has better chemistry with Ray Romano.

BreezyK

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:23 pm

I hope when they do break up Camille takes down the picture he insisted on being a part of in a huff.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum