Publishing Scandals

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Publishing Scandals - Page 7 Empty Re: Publishing Scandals

Post  laddical on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 pm

I hate the world and everything in it. Just... ugh.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:28 pm

PrincessCleo wrote:I'm a terrible person, but I just keep hoping this builds and builds and builds and then no one wants to do a movie at all and something else comes along and everyone's forgotten about it by May.
In all seriousness, I feel there's a high probability of this happening. So much of this book right now is just super aggressive PR. Even deadline's articles are such obvious planted info coming from the author's team. At some point people are going to realize this has very little widespread appeal and start to pull back.

I just can't imagine what actors would want to sign on for it. Although Robert Pattinson doing it would be worth it just for the promo soundbites, heee.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:59 pm

I just can't imagine what actors would want to sign on for it.

There's always someone that's hungry, desperate and wants the cash. And so many book based franchises have been successful recently that I imagine there's always going to be lots of actors that want a chance to be a part of something like that.

Although I secretly hope that some actors that I find just awful get involved, simply for the lulz. Imagine how awesomely bad a movie of this starring Alex Pettyfer and Emma Roberts would be.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:07 pm

Oh, I realize you could find any number of C-listers who'd jump at ANY leading role. But the way they're talking about this, it's like they're expecting this to be a serious, A-list cast type of film. And I can't really imagine Fassbender or Rooney Mara getting more than 3 pages into this.

But that's all dependent on if they really DID shell out the big bucks for this (and I'm not convinced they did with how insane her PR team seems to be).
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  Binky on Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:58 pm

Um...since when has female-oriented erotica been well, easily, and successfully adapted to mainstream movies? How on earth do they intend to film and market this in a way that is profitable? There's a reason romance novels don't really have a movie-counterpart (romcoms aren't the same).

Binky
Binky

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:03 pm

swsa wrote:Oh, I realize you could find any number of C-listers who'd jump at ANY leading role. But the way they're talking about this, it's like they're expecting this to be a serious, A-list cast type of film. And I can't really imagine Fassbender or Rooney Mara getting more than 3 pages into this.

But that's all dependent on if they really DID shell out the big bucks for this (and I'm not convinced they did with how insane her PR team seems to be).

Directed by an A-list director no less. She's probably holding out hopes for Wong Kar Wai or Scorcese

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  punzy on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:29 pm

This is surely a sign of the end times.

punzy

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Directed by an A-list director no less. She's probably holding out hopes for Wong Kar Wai or Scorcese

LOL. If she's lucky she'll end up with Paul Verhoeven or Catherine Hardwicke.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:37 pm

ActonBell wrote:

LOL. If she's lucky she'll end up with Paul Verhoeven or Catherine Hardwicke.

My money's on Uwe Boll.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:38 pm

The author and agent set approvals over things like script, director and lead cast, but they did not insist on a quick progress to production or even a guarantee that all three films would be made.
I forsee development hell and no films whatsoever in this book's future.

Also, what A-list director do they think they'll get if that much creative control has already been given to the author? Any director with clout tends to believe they should be creatively in charge (much more rightfully than an book author with no film experience). Hell, I want to know what producer is actually looking forward to giving the writer so much control. (Though demanding that much control is a good way to make sure the Weinsteins aren't interested, I suppose.)
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:38 pm

My money's on Uwe Boll.

That would be AMAZING.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Instant Monkeys on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Poubelle wrote:I forsee development hell and no films whatsoever in this book's future.
I tend to foresee this as well. I just can't imagine this movie is actually going to get made. Of course, that could be wishful thinking.

I feel like the book came out, got super popular, and got fought over by a bunch of production companies within like, three days. It just can't last. Someone will actually read it at some point.
Instant Monkeys
Instant Monkeys

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:34 pm

ActonBell wrote:
My money's on Uwe Boll.

That would be AMAZING.

I would watch the hell out of that.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Yup. That's exactly my prediction as well. Too much hype, too little substance. I mean, this has happened FAST. Most film deals take a long time to go through. This all reeks of hurrying this through fast before the whole house of cards comes crashing down.

And seriously, I can't stress this enough, if you're curious about it, you can find it for free all over the internet. Or just PM me and I can find a download for you. Hee.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:08 pm

My feeling is that, the author works (worked?) in television. She knows how to market a product and whip up a frenzy. Plus she probably has access to people who have helped make this thing the media darling it's become. So it feels fake to me because it's not something that got universally good word of mouth, it was given this big promotional push. There's too much hype and not enough substance to back it up, as far as I can see.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Cover of EW

Which it shares with The Hunger Games. Because hey, TOTALLY on the same level, right?

I really never imagined a situation could come along that would make me feel protective and outraged on Stephenie Meyer's behalf.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:29 pm

So I guess I'm confused is no one in the press addressing that this is repackaged Fan Fiction available on the internet for FREE. I'm just interested in how you report on this story without looking into/addressing that angle?

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TiffanyNichelle on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm

You'd think all the authors who are so fiercely opposed to fanfiction like Anne Rice would all be up in arms about this.
TiffanyNichelle
TiffanyNichelle

Back to top Go down

Post  UmaOprah on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:59 pm

I thought it was weird that the article actually states it started out as Twilight-inspired fan fiction but does't elaborate on it further. Do they not know what that means? Surely a simple Internet search would pull up something? Someone is definitely getting paid.

UmaOprah

Back to top Go down

Post  swsa on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:02 pm

I'm just struggling to think of ANY book that's gotten this kind of attention after a few weeks on the NYT bestseller list. I mean, books have spent YEARS at the top of the list and not gotten an EW cover or $5 million movie deal. The whole thing stinks. A LOT of this has to be PR-based. And the fact that she's getting an EW cover RIGHT after they gave this piece of crap a positive review? Or that Deadline had an interview with her agent the DAY the movie deal was announced? This whole situation is so shady.
swsa
swsa

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:27 pm

And the fact that she's getting an EW cover RIGHT after they gave this piece of crap a positive review? Or that Deadline had an interview with her agent the DAY the movie deal was announced? This whole situation is so shady.

Also the comments were turned of that post about the THG/FSG covers. Is that typical for EW? I've never noticed them turning comments off before, but I don't always look for the comments.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jude on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm sorry, please excuse me, but what the everloving fucking fuck?? I seriously don't get it. Why is this crap novel getting all this publicity? The front cover of EW?? SERIOUSLY?? How does this woman have so much power?

I followed the link that PrincessCleo provided on Twitter to the account by the fanfic author who worked with James on her former website, and now I'm even more disgusted that she's getting so much attention. The world sucks.

Jude

Back to top Go down

Post  Miss Moneypenny on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:50 pm

I am trying to remember the last time a non-Harry Potter book got the cover of EW. It is definitely stinkier than week old fish.
Miss Moneypenny
Miss Moneypenny

http://daisyrazor.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Did Harry Potter ever get the cover of EW that wasn't related to the movies? I thought most of the covers were tied to the movies, similiar to Twilight which I am pretty sure got 8 million different covers.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  big chicken on Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

I just read one of the bids for the movie rights was $9 million for the whole trilogy. It wasn't the winning bid (it didn't give her creative control) but $9 FREAKING MILLION DOLLARS FOR A BOOK SERIES WHICH HAS ONLY SPENT A FEW WEEKS ON THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER LIST? This is what it must have been like for the Dutch who didn't get caught up in the tulip frenzy and watched their friends spend all their money on flowers. "Dude, I know it's pretty but IT'S A FLOWER!" The studios are treating it like it's the next big thing because they've convinced themselves it is and they don't want anyone else to have it. I also think all this happening when The Hunger Games movie just had one of the biggest movie weekends ever is driving this too. They're all looking for the next big book series to movie franchise.

big chicken

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum