Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Song of Ice and Fire (SPOILERS)

+11
Carrie Ann
inversed
bbridges
Red Wolf
Unlucky Bear
draco vulgaris
ulkis
tothemax
queenofdenile
NewYorkStranger
blixie
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire (SPOILERS) Empty A Song of Ice and Fire (SPOILERS)

Post  blixie Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:45 pm

This is a place to discuss the book series w/o spoiler bars, but please remember it's only for the published books, and anything to do with Winds of Winter, like POV characters or chapter leaks, should still go behind a cut.

Really? Then what is the point of that character's introduction?

I do wonder how anyone would be able to verify that anybody is who they say they are, especially since practically all the people involved in killing the Targaryen babies are now dead. And like even if R+L=J, who could verify this? I suppose that's where the dragon/magic stuff will come into play

Basically I do agree that a great deal of ADWD was simply stalling/a distraction, but I also think thematically Martin is trying to make the point (over and over and over) that power is in the taking, in the political manipulation, in the might. The Targaryen's were conquering outsiders, Robert was a Usurper, so it doesn't really matter if Young Griff is a fake (and I do believe he IS a fake, a manufactured Vary's spare), so long as his team WINS.

My one issue with Davos is that he is sworn in loyalty to the person with not only the weakest "legitimate" claim to Iron Throne, but he is also just the weakest politicker as well who is mostly the tool of a confused if well-intentioned sorcersess.

In other news I know some people interpret ADWD as ruling out Benjen as Cold Hands, but sticking with this until he describes Benjen's death and shows me his skeleton body!

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

A Song of Ice and Fire (SPOILERS) Empty Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (SPOILERS)

Post  NewYorkStranger Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Basically I do agree that a great deal of ADWD was simply stalling/a distraction, but I also think thematically Martin is trying to make the point (over and over and over) that power is in the taking, in the political manipulation, in the might. The Targaryen's were conquering outsiders, Robert was a Usurper, so it doesn't really matter if Young Griff is a fake (and I do believe he IS a fake, a manufactured Vary's spare), so long as his team WINS.

I agree with you on this. Plus I'm definitely on the "Young Griff/Aegon is a fake being used by Varys to sow the seeds of chaos is Westeros" train.

Also, regarding verification of R+L=J, I believe at this point the only person who could possibly know the truth is Howland Reed. He went with Ned to find Lyanna in Dorne, and they were the only two survivors of whatever went down that day.
NewYorkStranger
NewYorkStranger

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:47 pm

I thought it was very interesting that Barristan Selmy remembered Ashara Dayne being lovesick over "Stark," but never said "Eddard." My mind immediately went to Brandon.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:09 pm

Finished ADWD which, as pretty much everyone said, was kinda boring. Not as bad as AFFC but still pretty boring overall. I didn't even care when Jon was stabbed. Brienne is alive? OK, whatever.

This R+L=J theory is entirely new to me and I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out who the initials stood for.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:59 pm

I didn't think of Rhaegar for Jon's father until I went online. I thought Lyanna was his mom right away, and then I thought Robert, but then I was like there'd be no reason to hide that, and then for half a second I thought Ned, heh.

My one issue with Davos is that he is sworn in loyalty to the person with not only the weakest "legitimate" claim to Iron Throne, but he is also just the weakest politicker as well who is mostly the tool of a confused if well-intentioned sorcersess.

That reminds me - does anyone think he's (Stannis) actually dead? I'm not sure.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  draco vulgaris Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 pm

ASOIAF-inspired valentines. I particularly like the Hodor one.

draco vulgaris

Back to top Go down

Post  Unlucky Bear Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 am

I like the Dothraki one. Those are seriously adorable.
Unlucky Bear
Unlucky Bear
Official Succubus

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

ugh, I'm watching clips for the new season and damn it, I think the books will end with Westeros united but I want the North to be independent :(

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:58 pm

apparently they're going to say on the show that Stannis and his wife only had stillborn kids. Hope his daughter doesn't turn out to have an important role later on!

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:45 am

I'm wondering about something in Storm of Swords - is it a given that
Spoiler:

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:34 am

Good point. Did he tell anyone else apart from Cat? Did he send a raven or a messenger to the Wall? I can't remember. If no one knows, I don't think it counts.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:00 pm

I read SoS over a year ago, but my impression was that no one still alive/free knows, but he definitely wrote it out, I think there was some question if the Raven got off with it to the Wall.

Also spoilers are fine in this thread for anything except Winds of Winter, that's the only info that needs to hidden.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  ulkis Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:35 pm

ok, thanks.

I hope Jon at least that Robb *wanted* to legitimize him, even if he didn't get to carry it out.

ulkis

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:54 pm

I'm pretty sure Robb's message ended up with Maege Morment and she was bringing it somewhere. Possibly to Howland Reed?
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  inversed Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:52 pm

Just finished A Dance with Dragons and up until maybe the last quarter of the book, I was kind of... bored? I love Tyrion but lord, his early chapters could have been cut. Same with Jon (though I don't love him as much) and Dany. And I had a hard time keeping track of all the new characters and the backstory and who's legit a Targaryen and who's not and I just kind of didn't care. So much of it just seemed like filler, even Arya's chapters, and she is 100% my favorite. Some of the twists felt like they were there just for the sake of being twisty, not because they actually advanced the plot. The only characters I actually felt really invested in were Theon, which is surprising, and, to a lesser degree, Davos. I hope that Winds of Winter is better.

inversed

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:49 pm

I finally finished A Dance With Dragons this week, at least a year and a half after starting the series. Ultimately, I found it and AFFC frustrating to read because there are SO many threads already dangling out there and so little is resolved or revealed. Every time a chapter was titled with a new character's name, I rolled my eyes and found myself getting irritated. Man, did I hate Quentyn Martell. What a waste of time that whole thing was.

At this point, unless the rest of the books are like ALL action, all resolution, there is just no way this is all going to be wrapped up. Which I find pretty ironic considering Martin's criticism of the ending of Lost.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiammetta Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:39 am

Yeah I'm almost not even mad that the show is going to pass the books, because at least Benioff and Weiss are motivated to finish it. Martin's meandering does nothing to disguise his evident writer's block.

I have to agree that the only character whose arc I ended up giving a damn about in ADwD was actually Theon. Everyone else seemed at a loss.

Fiammetta

Back to top Go down

Post  Red Wolf Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:49 am

GRRM has another story in an upcoming anthology. As much as I like these shorts, I'm finally motivated to say finish the bloody book! I'm not into the show, and think the story should finish where it began.

Red Wolf

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:23 pm

Just so much wheel spinning. We spent so much time with the Martells, who are fine, but what came out of that so far? A failed attempt to flee with Myrcella, so that can be skipped. Imprisoning all the daughters. A plan to send two of the Sand Snakes to Kings Landing to join the council. A failed journey to marry Daenerys and leave with the dragons, ending in death. I think about this from the TV show perspective--I would skip ALL of it, aside from Balon arriving with Clegane's head, which leads to them sending Nymeria and Tyene to Kings Landing with Myrcella. If Arianne is going to be important later, then fine, let's meet her too.

I was interested in Theon more because of Jeyne and Mance. But I seriously have a hard time reading about Ramsay at all, so those sections were tough for me.

Arya's story did drag on and on for not much payoff, but even she fared better than poor Sansa. I wasn't surprised not to see her in ADwD, but I would cut that Eyrie story way down for the show. Petyr kills Lysa and takes over, Lord Robert is gross, Petyr is gross, Sansa has to put up with it. That's basically it.

And as for the fate of my lovely Jon Snow, we don't think he's dead, right? Because. That's not OK. I was tricked before, about Bran and Rickon, and I need this to go that way.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:59 pm

I actually still like AffC, I don't know why, but it didn't feel as pointless as ADWD, and I enjoyed the side trips more? The side trips that weren't Greyjoy related? And I'd still take a Greyjoy over Dysentery in the Desert: An Odyssey.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 pm

I wish Glacier RR Martin would just hire a ghost writer to pull the thing together. I've heard from some fantasy nuts that the Whell Of Time actually improved after Robert Jordan's death, so maybe a fresh perspective would help here too.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:25 pm

blixie wrote:I actually still like AffC, I don't know why, but it didn't feel as pointless as ADWD, and I enjoyed the side trips more? The side trips that weren't Greyjoy related? And I'd still take a Greyjoy over Dysentery in the Desert: An Odyssey.
That made me laugh pretty hard. I know I sound like I didn't, but I enjoyed all the books while I was reading them. But it's like, you hope it's leading somewhere. Somewhere like weddings where people die! Or actual battles! Or characters we know and care about interacting with each other! Instead, it felt like everyone was off on their own with new people, none of whom were that interesting or appealing. Like, when Tyrion ends up with Jorah, I was thrilled just because I KNOW HIM.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  queenofdenile Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:16 pm

ADWD had more characters that I was invested in and didn't have CRAZY CERSEI GOES CRAZY, but the Greyjoy chapters (save Theon's) were even more pointless in Dance than in Crows, and I thought Crows had better overall character development, especially for Jaime. And while the dour Ironborn bored the crap out of me, I did enjoy getting to know the Dornish.
queenofdenile
queenofdenile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:38 pm

Haven't read it yet (I haven't read the "Arianne" chapter either, which I didn't know about until I looked here), but a new chapter from Winds of Winter is up.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Well apparently that chapter release crashed the site? SEE GEORGE. Get to finishing. I just read George's "plan" for how the show won't catch up to him, he wants them to do THREE SEASONS of ADWD. Oh fuck NO George. No. Nope. If Benioff and White and HBO know what's good for them they will not honor that request.

blixie
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next