Doctor Who

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Doctor Who Empty Doctor Who

Post  Luthien on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:47 pm

Now that we have a new Snarkfest home, I thought I'd start off the latest incarnation of the thread for everyone's favourite Time Lord. I'm still not caught up with the Matt Smith era just yet, but I just got my newly-released DVD of "The Sun Makers", and I'm very happy. I love that serial. Leela being awesome ("perhaps everyone runs from the tax man"), lots of tax satire, K9 being snarky, and the Fourth Doctor being all Fourth-Doctor-ey. I haven't had a chance yet to watch all the special features.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Doctor Who Empty Re: Doctor Who

Post  Eris Rising on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:37 pm

I'm fully caught up on the new one, but there's a certain amount of archive panic when it comes to past episodes. Instead of trying to watch the available ones straight through, I'm taking a friend's advice and dipping into various eras here and there. The Tenth is still "my" Doctor, though.

Can't wait for the Christmas special this year.

EDIT: Also, as a relative newcomer who's been binging on back episodes of the Whoniverse over the past months, I'm still wrapping my head around Doctor Who, Torchwood, and The Sarah Jane Adventures all taking place in the same universe. And I thought that reconciling Star Trek: TOS with DS9 was difficult...
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:13 am

WHY ARE THEY TRYING TO RUIN MY LIFE?!?!

This better not be true. You guys, I just...can't. Can't even.
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:20 am

Damn. Not sure what I think about that: Smith is superb, but I do wonder if this might not be the right time for him to go - giving himself one more season after which he can go out on a high, and hopefully without the histrionics that accompanied the passing of Ten. I can understand not wanting to get stuck as the Doctor for more than a few years, especially given how insanely high-profile the role is in the UK. I'll be sorry to see him go, but the casting department has hit it out of the ballpark for each of the new incarnations thus far, so I'll be excited to see who they get next.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Damnit, I hope this isn't true either. Smith is the only Doctor who I loved straight off the bat. With Nine, I was unfamiliar with the show so it took me a while to get used to him, then I did and the Doctor regenerated, and then it took me an entire season to accept Ten. Smith is just so... Doctory. GAH.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:11 pm

I don't want it to be true, but I get the sense this was the plan all along, seeing as how Moffat hasn't been content to just play with "arc words" over a season like Davies did - he's been playing a long game ever since "Silence in the Library". I wouldn't be surprised if Moffat told Matt upfront it was going to be a three-series plus specials thing and Matt's simply been playing that close to the vest like Alex Kingston had to with River's Big Secret.

But even though I came on board with Ten, Eleven really is the ideal Doctor for me, so I'd prefer it if he stuck around a little longer. And I would think the BBC would want to keep Matt around for a bit since it was his show when things really just took off in America - though I have no idea what metrics they've looked at, the show has a presence over here it's never had before.

At the same time, if Matt wants out, I'd rather he leave the show on good terms than feel trapped in it and let it sour his performance.

The biggest loss, in my opinion, will be Karen and her hair, her legs, and her accent. There's so much to love about Amelia Pond, I think, but I admit it, I'm shallow about this sort of thing - even without all that "character" stuff, I'd still be happy with her as a companion just because she's a leggy redhead with a Scottish accent.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  bbridges on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm sure almost everyone has seen these by now but I have to share these two videos because everyone needs to see them. First David, Catherine Tate, and John Barrowman sing "The Ballad of Russell and Julie" and then the cast and crew sing and dance along to "I'm Gonna Be (500 miles)" by the Proclaimers. I guess these were both for the wrap party at the end of David Tennant's time as the Doctor. So much love for the cast and crew from these!
bbridges
bbridges

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:25 pm

A Doctor Who movie is apparently in development. My immediate reaction was "Nooooo!", then I calmed down, read the article, and my second reaction was "Still noooo!" They tried this already, with two movies starring Peter Cushing back in the 60s. It didn't work then, and I can't see it working now. If it's got no connection to the TV Whoniverse, then I'm confused as to how it's still Doctor Who. Unless it's a straight-up, this-is-the-first-regeneration, rebooted Doctor. I was kind of hoping they'd do something like that when the Thirteenth Doctor comes along; I think that would be better than trying to make up a reason that the Doctor can live beyond his species' lifespan. But I think the Doctor is best suited to TV. Or maybe I'm just getting a little bent out of shape because close to a year ago I found this awesome show and it still wasn't widely known outside geek circles, and now it'll get splashed on the big screen and RUINED FOREVER. (How many times has Doctor Who been ruined forever now?)

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:32 pm

At least ten times - which, hey, that's the same number of regenerations he's had!

I'm still so in love with Matt Smith that the idea of making a movie without him seems wrong, wrong, wrong. And naturally, a movie would require a BIG DAMN STORY, so naturally they'd have to have multiple Doctors and maybe with a movie budget they could throw enough money at Eccleston that we could have a legitimate 9/10/11 adventure.

But if they insist on making a movie that doesn't incorporate what fuzzy continuity the series already has, then... more power to them. I know I'll be there, even if the Doctor turns out to be "half-human" again. As long as the TARDIS is blue and insists on taking the Doctor to anywhere or when in the Universe just so long as there's Mortal Peril and the Fate of Everything hanging in the balance just as the Doctor gets there, I'm sure I'll have a grand time.

But all the while I'll be thinking, "This guy's no Matt Smith, and the companion for damn sure ain't Amy."
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 pm

laddical wrote:At least ten times - which, hey, that's the same number of regenerations he's had!

I'm still so in love with Matt Smith that the idea of making a movie without him seems wrong, wrong, wrong. And naturally, a movie would require a BIG DAMN STORY, so naturally they'd have to have multiple Doctors and maybe with a movie budget they could throw enough money at Eccleston that we could have a legitimate 9/10/11 adventure.

But if they insist on making a movie that doesn't incorporate what fuzzy continuity the series already has, then... more power to them. I know I'll be there, even if the Doctor turns out to be "half-human" again. As long as the TARDIS is blue and insists on taking the Doctor to anywhere or when in the Universe just so long as there's Mortal Peril and the Fate of Everything hanging in the balance just as the Doctor gets there, I'm sure I'll have a grand time.

But all the while I'll be thinking, "This guy's no Matt Smith, and the companion for damn sure ain't Amy."

I'll be thinking the same thing along Tennant/Rose lines...which, oddly enough, I don't do with Matt Smith.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:58 pm

I don't want to have a knee jerk reaction of THIS IS A TERRIBLE IDEA AND I WILL PROCLAIM IT LOUDLY TO ALL WHO WILL LISTEN ON THE INTERNETS!! but the wording of that statement just makes me pause and wonder. When I see phrases like "radical transformation" about things like this, I find it's usually shorthand for "We have no idea what really makes this show tick and don't really care so we're just going to do whatever we want and not be true to the spirit of the show and what makes people love it for so many years".
Granted, moving a show from the small screen to the big screen does mean some changes but I really hope that they get some people working on the project who know what they're about and don't turn it into something completely unrecognisable.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  tothemax on Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:20 pm

QueenSix wrote:
Granted, moving a show from the small screen to the big screen does mean some changes but I really hope that they get some people working on the project who know what they're about and don't turn it into something completely unrecognisable.
I'm just waiting for the trailer where the Doctor pulls out his semi-automatic and starts shooting into a crowd.

tothemax

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 pm

The Doctor for "Children in Need" 2011

Infinity tweed sounds like so much more trouble than it's worth.

The trailer itself was just what I needed today. I hadn't really heard much about this year's special so I was pleasantly surprised that they're doing a nod to Narnia with it this year.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:11 pm

laddical wrote:The Doctor for "Children in Need" 2011

Infinity tweed sounds like so much more trouble than it's worth.

The trailer itself was just what I needed today. I hadn't really heard much about this year's special so I was pleasantly surprised that they're doing a nod to Narnia with it this year.

That did some day-making for me. Thanks!
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:50 am

LOVED that, and love the look of Christmas special (Narnia, yay!), but the small medium-sized part of me which is never satisfied has to ask: another episode set in World War Two? Ok, fine, immediately identifiable, the BBC is probably swimming in suitable props and costumes, but we're talking all of space and time here! I want an episode where the Doctor is instrumental in the signing of Magna Carta, or even (whisper it) some non-European history!
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:02 pm

Lost episodes recovered!! Christmas came early! I am so excited. There's hope yet. Surely there's got to be more tucked away in someone's closet somewhere. I'm really glad one of the episodes is from the First Doctor serial Galaxy 4, since that serial was, until now, entirely missing. And anytime anything Patrick Troughton-related comes up, I'm happy. Probably my biggest Doctor Who wish is for the missing six episodes of "The Evil of the Daleks" to be found. I love that serial; it's the one that really solidified my love for the 2nd Doctor, and since there's only one actual episode with video, that's pretty impressive storytelling.

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Raksha on Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:37 am

Holy crap! What awesome news!! Every time I see one of those little documentaries they do on the making of reconstructions or animating lost episodes or what have you, they always say stuff about how we'll probably never find any more of the lost episodes because it's been so long and people have been looking really hard for decades now. But there's always hope! In your face, naysayers!
Raksha
Raksha

Back to top Go down

Post  allochthonous on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:25 am

Time And Relative Dimension In Gingerbread! I know what I'm going to be attempting on Christmas Eve.
allochthonous
allochthonous

Back to top Go down

Post  SarahJanet on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm

I'm thinking of starting Doctor Who in the new year. I know I've seen links and such to how to go about tackling it but now that I'm actually looking I can't seem to remember where any of them are, and I'm afraid to google for fear of spoilers. Doctor Who for Dummies: help!

SarahJanet

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 pm

There are two easy starting points that are readily available: the first episode of the Ninth Doctor ("Rose", on DVD as Doctor Who Series One) or the first episode of the Eleventh ("The Eleventh Hour", on DVD as Doctor Who Series Five).

Either one is good, but since the show is not especially continuity heavy from Doctor to Doctor, I would personally recommend starting with the Eleventh Doctor and going through Series Five and Six as soon as possible. That will get you current on the show and ready for the next series, airing sometime in 2012. This may or may not be because I think Matt Smith and Karen Gillen are just sex as the Doctor and Amy (not that I 'ship them together, just that I love them and their characters so much).

Once you're up to speed on Eleven, I would then go back and start over with Nine and work your way through Ten so that you're completely up to date with the relaunch of the series. Once that's done, I'd come back and ask for some specific episodes to go back and revisit for each of the original seven Doctors and once you find one (or more) that you really like, take your own time and visit more of their episodes at your own pace.

ETA: I realized after writing this that much of Eleven's time has been taken up on the story of River Song, who is actually introduced in a two-part episode during Ten's run. I don't think this will matter over-much - the only thing you need to know about River that you learn from that two parter is that she is very important to the Doctor and the two of them never meet in sequence - his first time meeting her is her last time meeting him and they get all kinds of crazy with their chronology as the show goes on. But if, after you meet River in Series Five, you like her as much I do and want to see the first time he meets her before continuing, the episodes you'd look for are "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead" from Series Four. But again - I really don't think you need to do that to understand what's going on in Series Five and Six.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Luthien on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm

You're in the same place I was last January. I found what worked best for me was to try both classic and new series; it's not overwhelming when you approach it slowly. Start with the 2005 rebooted series (Series 1 with Christopher Eccleston). It's only 13 episodes of your time. But also give yourself a grounding in the classic series--it helped me a lot to understand how everything fits together and the new show becomes much richer and cooler. I recommended starting with the classic serial "Genesis of the Daleks". A lot of fans recommend this as an entry point, and it worked very well for me. It features the most famous Doctor, the Fourth (Tom Baker, he of the giant scarf). It's six half-hour episodes long, so again, it doesn't take a huge investment of time. I really think I would not have stuck with Doctor Who if all I'd seen were the Christopher Eccleston episodes. It took me awhile to warm up to the new show, whereas I fell in love with the old and it made the new start to click for me. (Of course, now I love Eccleston's Doctor). Some kind soul has uploaded Genesis of the Daleks here Or it may be available at your library.

It's only fair to warn you that for me, this was a gateway drug into the Whoniverse and now there's no escape. So many serials to watch, so many audios to hear. But it's all worth it. You need to start watching Doctor Who just for your username alone; it's very close to a very famous Doctor Who character.

Last edited by Luthien on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luthien

Back to top Go down

Post  Eris Rising on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm

laddical wrote:There are two easy starting points that are readily available: the first episode of the Ninth Doctor ("Rose", on DVD as Doctor Who Series One) or the first episode of the Eleventh ("The Eleventh Hour", on DVD as Doctor Who Series Five).

Either one is good, but since the show is not especially continuity heavy from Doctor to Doctor, I would personally recommend starting with the Eleventh Doctor and going through Series Five and Six as soon as possible. That will get you current on the show and ready for the next episode, airing on Christmas Day. This may or may not be because I think Matt Smith and Karen Gillen are just sex as the Doctor and Amy (not that I 'ship them together, just that I love them and their characters so much).

Once you're up to speed on Eleven, I would then go back and start over with Nine and work your way through Ten so that you're completely up to date with the relaunch of the series. Once that's done, I'd come back and ask for some specific episodes to go back and revisit for each of the original seven Doctors and once you find one (or more) that you really like, take your own time and visit more of their episodes at your own pace.

I'm much more of a Tenth Doctor fan, but I see the logic in this approach. While I'd usually suggest starting with the Ninth (and perusing previous incarnations online and on DVD at your leisure), the fact is that the Christmas Special will be here relatively soon, and one of the benefits of the current Doctor is that you don't need any serious background to jump in and enjoy. Maybe go back to the Ninth after that, and dip into previous incarnations at your leisure.
Eris Rising
Eris Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix on Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Well, I hope all you haterz are happy with yourselves now!!

Christmas is ruined. RUINED!!! If anyone needs me, I'll be in my secret bunker handcrafting glittertastic banners about how they are the Magick and should be in everything ever!!

Also, bring back Adric.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  dionneshea on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:04 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No! No! (Further examples of my reaction can be found here.

I know it will probably be fine, but for now I'm going to wallow in sadness.
dionneshea
dionneshea

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical on Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:05 pm

I knew it was coming - after the revelation of River's identity, they really couldn't have lasted much longer.

But they will (both of them) be missed, so I'm gonna hang out in your bunker, if you don't mind.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum