Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sherlock

+41
Shalamar
Gillian
nazlan
emrie
mo pie
bottle
Fiammetta
CindyMc
Lily Rose
salamandersam
Coneycat
mialoubug
Carrie Ann
Agent Sculder
schwa
Wildog27
laurelin_kit
Gallifrey Girl
puddingcup
sixchooks
Raksha
punzy
bookworm
Eris Rising
ActonBell
chibimanda
Evil Lincoln
RiverThames
Unlucky Bear
allochthonous
laddical
Esseilte
katha
Genevieve
Cutebutpsycho
Rhilin
epudom
vwlphb
Tabby
sagitare
QueenSix
45 posters

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Sherlock - Page 12 Empty Re: Sherlock

Post  nazlan Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:41 pm

So Series 3 premiered on PBS here in the States last night, and I really, really enjoyed The Empty Hearse. Then I got online and discovered that apparently it was a sloppy mess that I was supposed to hate, or at least hold in sneering disdain. The internet and I are not seeing eye-to-eye on this one, guys.
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Oh no, the Internet and I are in disagreement with this season. I didn't care for Season 2 as much (really Scandal just left a really bad taste in my mouth, but I have certain strong views about Irene), and this one just feels like it's more of a character study and emotional growth season.

Which really needed to be done, given that they couldn't keep wheeling out the same thing over and over again.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:37 pm

nazlan wrote:So Series 3 premiered on PBS here in the States last night, and I really, really enjoyed The Empty Hearse. Then I got online and discovered that apparently it was a sloppy mess that I was supposed to hate, or at least hold in sneering disdain. The internet and I are not seeing eye-to-eye on this one, guys.

I enjoyed it as well, but the main criticism I've seen from the professional critics who reviewed it was that the episode was too fan service-y without enough of Sherlock solving a mystery. That said, the reviews also commended the show for jamming SO much in there, while also managing to make the episode a LOT of fun. I think some fans may have felt the episode was making fun of the fans (which it totally was), and were really offended that the show would DARE make fun of their feverish speculation of how Sherlock survived, and of the shipping of Sherlock with Molly and/or Moriarty.

From what I've heard about the season in general, it seems this season is focused a bit more on lives of Sherlock and Watson rather than on them solving cases. The cases are almost incidental to the character stuff. Personally, I don't mind at all (if that's the case). While I do enjoy the mystery part of the story, what I've always liked BEST about the show is watching Sherlock interact with people.

Speaking of which, the scene with him and Mycroft was GOLD. Leave it to Mark Gatiss to make sure he was in the best scene of the episode. I absolutely adore how he and Benedict Cumberbatch play off each other.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:13 pm

I LOVED this first episode. Loved it loved it, it was delightful in every way. I was so scared that Watson's grief mustache was going to stick around, and then everyone started making fun of it instantly, so I was good.

I love this show for the characters more than the plots, so I'm totally fine with this season being more character-driven, if that's the case. This was probably my favorite episode of the series so far, and it's exactly for that reason. I mean, Mycroft? Come on! How great was he? And Lestrade with his "Oh, you BASTARD" and then the hug, and Mrs. Hudson, and Mary's been around for about five seconds and she's already the best. This is Sherlock and Watson's show, and the two of them more than delivered, but I really loved that each character got their moments.

The internet told me that the Holmes parents were played by Cumberbatch's parents. Cute! And Mary is Martin Freeman's real life partner, which I would normally think is a terrible idea, but she was so great, I think they absolutely made the right call. I'm sure this is all information that someone already posted here in the past couple of pages, but I'm scared to read back and get spoiled.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  Wildog27 Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:32 pm

It’s Elementary, Sherlock: How the CBS procedural surpassed the BBC drama

I see that the AV Club got all clickbait-y today...

Wildog27

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:14 pm

How Tumblr of them.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  Gallifrey Girl Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:10 pm

25 Easter Eggs / Facts about The Empty Hearse.  No spoilers for the other eps in the article, but might be in the comments below.

Elementary and Sherlock are apples and oranges. Both good in different ways.

Gallifrey Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:49 pm

I adored this episode. Sherlock and Mycroft playing Operation! Mycroft having to take the senior Holmeses to Les Miz! And we got an in-joke about the Giant Rat of Sumatra! My month, it is made.
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:14 am

I decided WAY back in Buffy Season 7 that if I enjoy an episode of something, the Internet doesn't get to tell me I'm wrong.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:54 am

How awesome is Mary? I was so afraid that she'd be the typical "My boyfriend doesn't spend enough time with me because he's always off with Mr. Wonderful solving mysteries", and she is SO NOT.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:25 pm

I'm going to go a little outside popular opinion and say that the emotional payoff was actually a little better delivered than I thought it might be. The book canon is far less satisfying, and Holmes plays that one for laughs, too. After reflection, I object to the fake-out about the bomb a bit more than the "I'm baa-aaaack!" reveal. I don't mind a Holmes who is fundamentally an asshole, but I prefer him oblivious and uncaring over extracting actual emotional confessions from John.

Not a fan of Moffat's apparent mocking of the fans. Just tell a story, dude.
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:43 pm

I wouldn't have even minding him extracting the emotional confession from John if he hadn't laughed about it afterward. I think it would have been more satisfying, in character, and actually funnier if he had pretended to suddenly see an off-switch. And then John figured out that he'd known all along and turned it off already, etc.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Gillian Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 am

Well, hell. These first two episodes were so insanely delightful, we are obviously going to have to pay for it with a Mary/Lestrade/Mrs. Hudson triple murder next week. I'm scared. I don't know how I've managed to remain spoiler free, but I fear for my willpower over the next seven days.

Gillian

Back to top Go down

Post  mandalaya Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:49 am

I enjoyed this ep (3.2, since we all seem to be on different eps at this point), but it did get a little smarmy towards the end. I like Mary and I'm very happy that the three of them get on so well, but I was bored of that plot point by the end of the episode, and her being pregnant just came off as trite to me. Exacerbated by the fact that they discussed it so long rather than Sherlock dropping the bomb and then wandering away, which would've been more in character.

Also, I haven't seen 3.3 so maybe it comes up, but neither John nor Mary are being styled to look like spring chickens, and just because it's possible to get pregnant in one's forties/almost-forties doesn't mean it's a 100% good idea, and John and Mary should know it better than most since they work in healthcare. I would have expected at least a beat of concern before any other emotional reaction. Ah well, I lol-ed several times so I shouldn't complain.

Did anyone catch why the dude killed the palace guard? I understand about John's commander, but I missed why the guard was a target.

mandalaya
mandalaya

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:59 am

mandalaya wrote:Did anyone catch why the dude killed the palace guard? I understand about John's commander, but I missed why the guard was a target.

He didn't actually kill the palace guard, Watson was able to save his life.  The killer targeted him
as a rehearsal:
for the attempted murder at the wedding.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  Tabby Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:01 am

The guard was practice. The murderer wanted to see if the method would work.

I'm enjoying the hell out of this season.

ETA: Jinx, Agent Sculder!
Tabby
Tabby

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:43 am

LOVED it. Drunk Sherlock was a delight, especially when he tried to do his usual detective thing and the floaty words were all gibberish. Hee.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  sixchooks Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:24 pm

"Sitty thing" for the chair.

Trying to find time for a re-watch of the season, especially the first two.

Y'all know that Amanda Abbington and Martin Freeman are NOT married in real life, right? They're just longtime partners. I think it's sort of sweet and a little odd that they're now more fake-married than real-married. Also, production photos prove that they got an absolutely gorgeous day for their external shoot, which must have been extra nice.
sixchooks
sixchooks

Back to top Go down

Post  Algae Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:54 am

Y'all have been enjoying this so much that during my snow day yesterday, I decided to watch an episode. And then I watched the first 5.

So, thanks for that. :)
Algae
Algae

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:49 am

You're welcome. :) Trouble is, once this season is over, you'll have to wait two years for another one like the rest of us!
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  nazlan Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Shalamar wrote:You're welcome.  :)  Trouble is, once this season is over, you'll have to wait two years for another one like the rest of us!

Yeah, my husband and I watched the first two seasons in quick succession, as our local PBS station was re-showing them leading up to the season 3 premiere. So we only had to wait 3 days between The Reichenbach Fall and The Empty Hearse. We won't be so lucky now...
nazlan
nazlan

Back to top Go down

Post  Shalamar Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:40 am

My one regret about The Sign of Three is that one of the women Sherlock was interviewing has my first name, but he never said it. I would give a great deal for the sound bite of Benedict Cumberbatch purring my name in that deep brown velvet voice of his.
Shalamar
Shalamar

Back to top Go down

Post  Agent Sculder Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 am

So good!  Please, oh please don't make us wait for two years!  I know Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch are busy guys, but if I have to wait that long again, I may break something.

So glad to see that you-know-who is back, somehow.  

Loved all the throw away stuff like Sherlock's full name and Molly not being engaged any more.  But seriously, this episode nearly killed ME a couple of times.  And I know it's a terrible thing to admit, but man do I love drug-using, cigarette smoking, arm-twisting, bad-ass Sherlock.  He can be a right bastard sometimes, but the fact he so clearly adores John, and by extension Mary makes up for SO much.  It just warms the cockles of my cold, dead heart.

I have also decided that the Mikkelson brothers are officially the creepiest, and most compelling villains on TV.

Edited to add this. Here are two of my favorite things together: Sesame Street & Sherlock! Excuse me while I squee uncontrollably.

Agent Sculder

Back to top Go down

Post  sagitare Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Agent Sculder wrote:I have also decided that the Mikkelson brothers are officially the creepiest, and most compelling villains on TV.
Oh my god, I had no idea who that was at all, but it seems so obvious now!

Just watched the last episode last night and I believe it we didn't already have the phrase "Wait, what?" we'd have had to invent it just for that episode because holy hell, I did not see any of that coming at all. Two thumbs way up for what they've done with Mary as a character for sure. As others noted, I was initially worried she'd be a shrewish, jealous woman but instead she's fit right into the relationship between John and Sherlock. In particular I've loved her 'we're just buds hanging out' vibe with Sherlock - the fact he seems to genuinely like her and is very comfortable around her was so awesome. I hope they delve into more of her, ah, 'interesting' background in the next series because Amanda Abbington is really great in the role.

Other than that, I'm still processing all the twists and turns. In fact, I'll be giving it another go because there was just so much to take in. But overall I'd say this series has been the strongest so far. The decision to focus on relationships and characters (as opposed to cases) was a really good one, and a change of tempo/focus that the series needed at that time, I think. In particular, I've really enjoyed seeing how Sherlock has changed/is changing with respect to his interactions with people as a result of his relationship with John and the experiences they've had together. He's always going to be who he is but some of his rough edges have been smoothed (somewhat, heh) and he has made actual connections with people, so it's great to see him acknowledging that and reacting accordingly.

Last edited by sagitare on Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
sagitare
sagitare

Back to top Go down

Post  shanndee Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:32 am

I thought you'd like it!

I agree on all counts. Hubby and I were blown away...and really happy that we managed to stay spoiler free!

shanndee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next