Gwyneth Paltrow

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Gwyneth Paltrow - Page 3 Empty Re: Gwyneth Paltrow

Post  Snarryfan on Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:53 pm

Judaism runs through the maternal line, as maternity is always known and historically paternity was more problematic (Jewish brides were often kidnapped and raped the night before their wedding). It is also because "Jewish" is regarded as an ethnic identity as well as a religious one.

Snarryfan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pop'n'Fresh on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:01 am

Judaism is matrilineal, it's one of the fundaments of the religion. Whereas many religions are patrilineal. Also Judaism has strict rules about who can be considered Jewish - it's not like some religions where to become a member of that religion all you have to do is start practising, or start identifying as a member of that religion. To become officially Jewish (even if you have a Jewish father) involves a long and difficult conversation process. Of course many people don't observe strict Jewish laws/rules so don't abide by that - in the same way that many people who ID as Jewish don't keep kosher. I don't think Gwyneth was raised Jewish, though. Good for her if she's exploring her roots, but (and admittedly I am biased because I don't like her) some of the things she's said sort of make me think this is just another thing she's latched onto to brag about for attention/PR.

Pop'n'Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post  biakbiak on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:42 am

Gwenyth in many of her interviews has said she was raised in both religions, I am not saying that is accurate,  and given that she has said her family practiced Reform Judaism she would she would be considered Jewish in that version of the faith.
biakbiak
biakbiak

Back to top Go down

Post  Poubelle on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:35 pm

I wonder if her claims would go over slightly better if she actually looked Jewish, instead of "the picture that's next to WASP in the dictionary," as Instant Monkeys so aptly put it.

Then again, there's also a difference between "I'm Jewish on my dad's side" and "I am descended from a rabbinical dynasty."
Poubelle
Poubelle

Back to top Go down

Post  DaenarysQueenoftheYumYums on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:46 pm

So disappointed that VF killed the piece on her.......

DaenarysQueenoftheYumYums

Back to top Go down

Post  Paris, Texas on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:08 pm

I was interested in the VF article to the extend that it might explore Chris Martin's dogging around with Alesha Dixon and Kate Bosworth.

Paris, Texas

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:33 pm

We're talking about that over in Celebrity Dumb Quotes!
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Lily Rose on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:40 pm

I hate her like poison anyway, but those quotations are just SO tone deaf and privileged that I can barely read them.

Lily Rose

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:37 pm

I would love to do a Freaky Friday type of switch with Gwynnie and a lower-middle class single mother with two jobs and four kids and see if she thinks she has it harder then. She would probably cry once she realized she couldn't afford macrobiotic food and $200 yoga pants.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:12 pm

Didn't she say something once about, as a actress, not being able to play someone who only makes $20,000 a year? Or something such figure.

Last edited by naughty zoot on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  Crowbridge on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:17 pm

I don't know, but I do remember her talking about the "post-traumatic stress" she had after winning the Oscar. Ugh.

Crowbridge

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 pm

It's in here among other gems. I misremembered it a bit.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Having just Googled, it's amusing how many lists of ridiculous quotes by Gwyneth Paltrow there are on the internet.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  year of the cat on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:10 am

The things that come out of her mouth are so vapid, but she is convinced she is 100% more grounded than anyone else. She makes Julia Roberts seem like Madeline Albright. I do thinks she's a good actress, but stunts like that "I am Africa" campaign just make her credibility fall completely flat. Her weight or marriage or personal issue whatevers don't mean anything- if she only kept them personal and she can't, for what ever reason she has to be the patron saint of paelo, hot yoga and fabulous pants. She could be really likeable if she wasn't so darn self-satisfied all the damn time.
year of the cat
year of the cat

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadowlass on Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:04 pm

Carrie Ann wrote:We're talking about that over in Celebrity Dumb Quotes!

Heh, I should have realized. That quote is so, so dumb. She really just exists in a perfect, unbroken shell of egotism.

Shadowlass

Back to top Go down

Post  snorf on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:54 am

Interestingly I saw a Mom's response to the article before I read the article.

snorf

Back to top Go down

Post  gluten free pant on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Listen guys, winning that Oscar was really tough. I had to go up there wearing a dress that didn't quite fit, and ramble on about stuff when really I was thinking about how I had double-scheduled some dates with dudes, and OMG have you ever done that? that is hard. And then people expected me to do more Oscar worthy work. It's a curse being talented and being recognized like that.
Maybe you guys should drink some tea to release those toxic feelings and think about what you have done lately? :)

gluten free pant

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude on Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:51 pm

She's like a female Patrick Bateman.

And yes I suspect her of killing hoboes too.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  gluten free pant on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:07 am

You do not know what living is, until you have played the most dangerous game.

gluten free pant

Back to top Go down

Post  ActonBell on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:54 pm

Is it wrong that I now want to see her as a gender-swapped Hannibal? I think she could really pull it off.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Post  naughty zoot on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:29 pm

She's gone? Okay, I just came across this little tidbit
"When I turned 40 I realised how overwhelming it was to always give to other people, so I made a commitment to myself to do something every week which would help me check in and regroup."
It is overwhelming to give to other people. Poor Gwyneth, such a martyr to the needs of others.
naughty zoot
naughty zoot

Back to top Go down

Post  The Glen on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:04 pm

She's one of many Hollywood actors that I wish would embrace their obnoxious streak and play more nasty characters. George Clooney is another. I spent Michael Clayton just wanting to punch his smug face.

The Glen
Mod Squad

Back to top Go down

Post  puddingcup on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:48 pm

She's one of many Hollywood actors that I wish would embrace their obnoxious streak and play more nasty characters. George Clooney is another. I spent Michael Clayton just wanting to punch his smug face.
Oh, that's a good point. I feel the same way about Denzel Washington, who I thought was excellent in Training Day, but is tiresome in his more heroic parts. Yes, George Clooney too, which is why I loved him Intolerable Cruelty. Also Tom Cruise, who is more interesting as the offbeat or crazy or the bad guy (Collateral), than the all American hero.

puddingcup

Back to top Go down

Post  Swarley on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:25 pm

The Glen wrote:She's one of many Hollywood actors that I wish would embrace their obnoxious streak and play more nasty characters. George Clooney is another. I spent Michael Clayton just wanting to punch his smug face.

I could not finish that movie.  I did things I never do when watching that movie.  First, I fell asleep.  Then I woke up.  Got pissed that it was still playing and turned it off.  I never turn off movies.  Ever. [/OT]

I blame Gwyneth.  Because GOOP.

Swarley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum