Snarkfest 4.0
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

+80
Jude
Corellderaan
dionneshea
bookworm
rivki8699
Bad Username
ActonBell
inversed
PrincessCleo
Esseilte
laurelin_kit
draco vulgaris
dinahmoe
biakbiak
Sheli
year of the cat
Melk
chibimanda
mrinsouciance
blooey
Carrie Ann
big chicken
Grainne Mhaol
salamandersam
puddingcup
Cutebutpsycho
nikita
themis
sagitare
Agent Sculder
Count_Bloodcount
Coneycat
Wilhelmina
Skyblade
laddical
Crowbridge
Case
easybreezy
MaddyCat
naughty zoot
sloo
harvey the penguin
oxymoron
tothemax
Kookla
Luthien
mokey75
Binky
The Glen
QueenSix
Lis
ulkis
Raksha
Francie Nolan
Instant Monkeys
mayram
blixie
Matinee
Auroura76
Miss Moneypenny
Eris Rising
RiverThames
Shalamar
katha
caerbannog
Paris, Texas
Kiran
Gallifrey Girl
Putli Bai
swsa
truecrystal
curryalley
Poubelle
Cynara
whatthedeuce
The Dude
jcpdiesel21
Unlucky Bear
TiffanyNichelle
queenofdenile
84 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold - Page 10 Empty Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  ActonBell Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:37 pm

that's another UO I think Emile Hirsch is pretty great, I mean he's got a certain oeuvre down (petulant self important yet not particularly intelligent punk)
I agree with that! I have liked him in almost everything he's done, and Into the Wild is just a great movie. I know Lainey always rails against him for being douchey, but I've never really seen any interviews or press appearances by him so it hasn't affected his performances for me.
ActonBell
ActonBell

Back to top Go down

Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold - Page 10 Empty Re: Unpopular Movie Opinions You Hold

Post  Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:23 am

I should have posted here a long time ago: I watched Gravity & I didn't like it. I also didn't like paying the xtra $ for the 3D but that was the only screen showing it. I went to the movies b/c I was getting tired of staying indoors all the time. So, going out was good, the movie was meh IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:11 pm

I was wondering when someone would opine that they didn't like the movie. A small part of me wants to see it, but for the most part, it really doesn't appeal to me.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:59 pm

whatthedeuce, at the point, it had been #1 on the box office for 3 weeks so I thought it had to be good despite my initial un interest. I still didn't like it.

Back to top Go down

Post  whatthedeuce Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:11 pm

What didn't you like? Was the acting not doing it for you, or did you find the narrative boring maybe? My sister gave it a half-hearted review a few weeks ago, saying it was sorta dull.

whatthedeuce

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:20 pm

I didn't like her character (woman of self-limiting beliefs) b/c I figured she would get a Hollywood ending where things resolve for her. They did after much trauma & conflict. By resolve, I mean she would go through a transformational change that would alter how she would live life. I'm clarifying b/c obviously people don't know what exactly I'm seeing after reading my 1st sentence.

I liked the best the scenes where she was inside the Chinese capsule on her way to Earth. When she landed, I thought the scenes were impressive.

Last edited by aficionada on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I skip words on iPhone -ugh!)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiran Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Old but is liking Emile Hirsch unpopular? I really enjoy him as an actor and I think most people do. Lainey just seems to hate him personally.

I think Aaron Taylor Johnson has been good in everything I've seen him in but aside from Nowhere Boy hasn't been at all outstanding either. Like, hes servicable, but he never adds anything?

I love Taylor Kitsch though. I always will because of Friday Night Lights and I'm glad that he seems to be doing more character based work now that his big bid sat stardom failed. And my other unpopular opinion was that I thought John Carter was actually really fun.
Kiran
Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm

I've never watched Friday Night Lights - actually I watched one episode and it did nothing for me - so I had no real feelings about Taylor Kitsch either way but I really liked him in John Carter. I thought he had a real good presence and I'm sorry the script didn't serve him better. I wouldn't have minded them making a sequel.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:21 pm

John Carter was a lot of fun for a popcorn movie. My BIL, sister and I kept hollering "BAAARRRSSSOOOOMMM!" at each other after seeing it. I need to show it to my husband, because I know he'd love it.

And James Purefoy in the "Oh no. I've been taken hostage." made me howl.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:25 am

I freaking LOVE John Carter it was in my top ten favorite movies. So good, and wonderfully female positive, despite Disney's attempts to erase all evidence of that in the marketing and title (A Princess of Mars > John Carter of Mars > John Carter.) RME.

My new UO movie opinion. I thought Pacific Rim was deeply stupid, badly acted, and totally BORING. And I LOVED Ultraman, and del Toro, so, it's not like I was primed somewhat to dig it going in. Mako Mori was the only interesting part and her part was so not enough to hang a movie on.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am

Woooo! Down with Pacific Rim!

I have had to be very circumspect on my real feelings there, since I don't want to offend either my boss or my many customers who totally dug it. So I've never really gone off on the rant I've always felt the movie deserves, and now it's been too long for me to remember most of the details of why I didn't like it and I don't really want to go through it again.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  Putli Bai Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm in on the John Carter. It's one of those movies, like this summer's Lone Ranger, that people had just made their minds up to hate ahead of time.
Putli Bai
Putli Bai

Back to top Go down

Post  QueenSix Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:19 pm

I liked Pacific Rim but I thought Charlie Hunnam was as bad in this as he was in Nicholas Nickleby. He was very stilted and wooden at times. I've seen him in Sons of Anarchy and he's not bad in that so I don't know what happened to him here.

QueenSix

Back to top Go down

Post  Bad Username Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:57 am

I liked the giant robot fights in Pacific Rim, and I would have watched that for two hours, but I agree the rest was kind of pointless.

Bad Username

Back to top Go down

Post  Coneycat Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:57 am

QueenSix wrote:I liked Pacific Rim but I thought Charlie Hunnam was as bad in this as he was in Nicholas Nickleby. He was very stilted and wooden at times. I've seen him in Sons of Anarchy and he's not bad in that so I don't know what happened to him here.
Nicholas Nickleby is the only thing I've ever seen Hunnam in, and I agree on the wooden. Also, as I recall his English accent sounded very dodgy to me. Which I am aware makes no sense at all since he is English, but it confused me a lot at the time. (I had also seen a really delightful version of Nicholas, starring James D'Arcy, shortly before, and that may have affected my judgement.)

Coneycat

Back to top Go down

Post  blixie Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:51 pm

I basically like Zach Braff (mostly for that one episode of Scrubs where he remembers how Turk's Black Frat liked to call him Cracka), and loved Garden State, and I didn't see Natalie Portman as an MPDG in that movie.

blixie
Mod Squad

https://thesnarkening.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:38 pm

I didn't like the Lego Movie (saw it on a plane). Although the song "Everything is Awesome" was, in fact, awesome. The theme/moral didn't actually hang together - I mean, from the first part of the movie it looked like the message was going to be "everyone should be allowed to be creative in their own way" but it turned out to be...not that. I couldn't actually figure out what the message was, in fact. I mean, the plan basically ended up being "working together as a team to follow directions" which was everything that was being skewered by the beginning of the movie. And then the real world stuff just threw a loop in that. So I found it incoherent. But the thing that really go to me was My Least Favorite Trope, described perfectly by Elizabeth Bear:

Elizabeth Bear wrote:My Least Favorite Trope (and this post will include spoilers for The Lego Movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Matrix, Western Civilization, and—cod help me—Bulletproof Monk*.) is the thing where there’s an awesome, smart, wonderful, powerful female character who by all rights ought to be the Chosen One and the hero of the movie, who is tasked with taking care of some generally ineffectual male character who is, for reasons of wish fulfillment, actually the person the film focuses on. She mentors him, she teaches him, and she inevitably becomes his girlfriend… and he gets the job she wanted: he gets to be the Chosen One even though she’s obviously far more qualified. And all he has to do to get it and deserve it is Man Up and Take Responsibility. And that’s it. Every god-damned time. The mere fact of naming the films above and naming the trope gives away the entire plot and character arc of every single movie.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  Carrie Ann Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:53 pm

Yes, I have noticed that trope a lot recently. It was a big bummer in The Lego Movie.
Carrie Ann
Carrie Ann

Back to top Go down

Post  Skyblade Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:01 pm

I think Lego movie was kind of supposed to be a parody of that trope, although it didn't really subvert it. Also, Guardians while Guardians was definitely another in a long line of quirky outsiders being led by a white bro-ish dude, (named Chris in real life!) I'm not sure he's a Matrix style chosen one. He was already pretty competent at the beginning, just a selfish loner.

Skyblade

Back to top Go down

Post  laddical Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm

Skyblade wrote:I think Lego movie was kind of supposed to be a parody of that trope, although it didn't really subvert it. Also, Guardians while Guardians was definitely another in a long line of quirky outsiders being led by a white bro-ish dude, (named Chris in real life!) I'm not sure he's a Matrix style chosen one. He was already pretty competent at the beginning, just a selfish loner.

Yeah, Guardians doesn't really belong in that list. I'll admit it has problems of its own, but Peter Quill being an incompetent schmuck who solves his problems when he decides to "man up" isn't one of them.
laddical
laddical

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:58 pm

laddical wrote:
Skyblade wrote:I think Lego movie was kind of supposed to be a parody of that trope, although it didn't really subvert it. Also, Guardians while Guardians was definitely another in a long line of quirky outsiders being led by a white bro-ish dude, (named Chris in real life!) I'm not sure he's a Matrix style chosen one. He was already pretty competent at the beginning, just a selfish loner.

Yeah, Guardians doesn't really belong in that list. I'll admit it has problems of its own, but Peter Quill being an incompetent schmuck who solves his problems when he decides to "man up" isn't one of them.

Nor is Gamora really propping him up or the should-a-been-the-one. Really, in Guardians, Peter is the "lead", but it's not the other four are looking to him to save them or something.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cutebutpsycho Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:47 pm

I felt like they were all loners who were competent on their own, but together they made one hell of a team, so that trope doesn't quite work with GoTG in my opinion.
Cutebutpsycho
Cutebutpsycho

Back to top Go down

Post  rivki8699 Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:59 pm

I agree that GOTG doesn't quite fit the trope, however, it is another instance where a man is the hero instead of the much more capable, motivated woman. Quill isn't incompetent, so it's not as grating as in the Lego Movie, he's just not the one who should have been giving the hero speech. Gamora should have been the lead hero (they're all heroes) - she's the one with the motivation, the skills and the knowledge. She's the one who came into the movie wanting to save people. I found it very jarring when Quill was trying to convince everyone to risk their lives to defeat Ronan, since two of the people he was speachifying at had already made clear they were willing to risk their lives to do just that (Gamora for redemptive/altruistic reasons and Drax for revenge). It was set up very much like Mal's post-Miranda line-in-the-sand speech in Serenity, but in Serenity Mal's the one who's the idealist and the captain, so it makes sense that he leads the charge (especially since Simon and River are more personally involved, but motivated to run away and hide).  Quill is neither the established leader (except for by default because he's the only white guy in the room) nor does he have the moral high ground.

Gamora was the one on the strongest hero's journey - her parents were killed in front of her and she was raised as a weapon by their murderer, she's now decided to defy her adoptive father and save people in order to make up for the lives she's taken as his tool, she faces people who were harmed by her/her father, she fights the sister she cares for to do the right thing, and she willingly risks her life to save a world. Quill just stumbles onto the wrong loot at the wrong time. He does get a heroes arc when he decides to value a world over his own profit/safety, but it's just no where near as weighty as Gamora's. In fact, they all get those arcs - Drax moves from desire for revenge to wanting to save people, Rocket learns to care about people other than Groot, and Groot evolves quite literally.

There was no reason to make Quill the main hero, except that he's the only white guy named Chris in the cast. And that's just disapointing.
rivki8699
rivki8699

Back to top Go down

Post  The Dude Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:08 am

Gamorra was more the moral hero and Quill was an anti-hero in the Han Solo sense. She was the only one whose first instinct was to hand the gem over. I took Quill giving the speech as leveling with the other scumbags that they have to just get on with it. He also had the prior relationship with Yondu who was also a threat at that time.
The Dude
The Dude

Back to top Go down

Post  RiverThames Mon May 02, 2016 8:37 pm

So, I finally got around to seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey from beginning to end on a large screen.

And.... NOPE. It's just a mess of Not That Interesting. Maybe in 1968 the effects would have been revolutionary and that alone would have been cool, but most of it is just... here's nothing. Here's more nothing. Let us emphasize the amount of nothing.

BLEH.
RiverThames
RiverThames

http://www.mrmaresca.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next